Friday, June 23, 2006
more plus more, could possibly equal less

Here is a picture of my mother...sometimes referred to as "Jen The Hen". A loving nickname. A name that stuck, till the day she died. This picture was taken by Gordon in 1958...a beautiful image, isn't it? I have always loved this photograph...it was taken in Great Neck...Jen The Hen...(Her name was Jennie) was sittng on the couch in the living room....what a strange fabric on that couch...woah...never really 'saw' that before....!

My mother died on April 2nd, 1966. She had a very strange and rare-not-too-well-known-form of Breast Cancer. It was cancer of the nipple otherwise known as Paget's Disease that went undiagnosed for over a year and a half...all that time lost by medical incompetence. (And by the time it was diagnosed, she had to have a radical mastectomy.) The doctor who finally finally recognized what this was, was a dermatologist. A dermatologist who called in all of his women nurses to look at my mothers nipple...and he said to all of them..."I want you to take a good look at this because if you ever see it, this is cancer. It is not a dermatolgical problem...so if you should see this...RUN....do-not-walk, to your doctor." Even to this day, 40 years later, one rarely hears about this form of cancer.

I was 34 years old when my nother died...I turned 35 that June of 1966. But from early 1962 till the day she died, her life was defined by Paget's disease. And so, therefor our lives were defined by this disease, too. "Spoon River" was still playing on Broadway when Jen The Hen had her Mastectomy and then the radiation that was to eradicate any and all remaining cancer cells...And, indeed, she did have a good year and a half of 'freedom from cancer'...but then, the cancer cropped up again in the same general area though not in her breast because of course that was gone.

Thus began a year of traveling back and forth from Los Angeles to New York...Ma having one hospital stay after another in one hospital after another. The Salisbury Hotel became my home, once again, as it had been during the run of "Spoon River". Then, she came home and I spent Thanksgiving of 1965 in Great Neck planning to stay only 5 days and ended up staying more than 6 weeks through Christmas and New Years and a bit after that, too...I was in a state of acute anxiety from a 'break-up' with the man I had been going with...I was a mess. Deeply depressed. Feeling suicidal. Staying with my mother was a comfort even though she was dying. Somewhere I have one picture of Ma, during this terrible period, but I cannot find it. I am very grateful that I got to tell her that I didn't want her to die and she cried too, and said she didn't want to die....So often these things were never talked about and then there would be regrets later...I didn't have that, Thank God.

I returned to Los Angeles at the end of January and within the shortest week ever, the cancer went to her Liver. Back to New York again I went. This time it was the last hospital stay for her, and I stayed there in New York and both Gene and I did not leave her side for those last six or eight weeks of her life.

Years later...around 13 years later, I wrote about my mothers death. It was kind of an Essay. I called it "Jen The Hen". Then in 1980 I turned it into a play....a very complex play that took place in the present and in the past. It was different from the essay because it dealt with all the conflict inside me from my conception through my mother's death and then to the 'present'. The play was done at Theatre West in 1981. Here is a photograph of the cast. Ann Morgan Guilbert, a brilliant and somewhat underated actress was Jen The Hen. Betty G. played me in 'the present', and Elizabeth Berger (on the right of Betty) played 'Naomi' back during the period of my mother's death. Alan Jordon played 'Gordon', Pamela Dunlap---behind Alan, played 'Gene', and Seemah Wilder sitting over on the right side of the Hospital bed, played 'Robin'.

Here is another photograph of this production. The way this play was staged...we never left the hospital room. A scene that took place in the restaurant of the hospital was played right at the foot of the bed, as if it was a table in the restaurant...There was a lot of eating of chocolate sundees in an attempt to asuage the pain and anxiety that Gene and I were in, during this 'vigal'... This scene depicts that and always in the background was 'Naomi' in the present as well....This play was part of an entire evening of three one acts that I had written.."Jen The Hen" was the third piece. We got amazing reviews and I was deeply gratified that the writing was given really high marks...here was the center-piece in the program... This was another fantastic experience in the theatre. It was magical in almost every way...everything went right, which is so rare as to be almost non-existant. It was the first project that I was involved with after "Spoon River" that was deeply deeply satisfying and exhilerating in it's acceptance by our audiences..."Nobody Safe Here" was extended beyond it's original eight week run and it actually made money for Theatre West. Amazing and rare. Another miracle. The painting hanging on the set was painted by me with the blessing of the set designer...in fact he insisted that I paint this painting. I also wrote music for the production...so, three of my so called talents all came together in one project. Lovely, beyond words. I won the 'New Play Award' from L.A. Weekly that year...

Change of pace...and on a lighter note...I thought I would post a picture of one of my 'children'....Miss Moon...who's official name was 'Mooney'...a darling darling person that was as funny as she was dear... If I had tried to get her to do this, I would not have succeeded! And one more picture of her...one that I just love and that makes me laugh! She was a bit overweight here...but who among us isn't? Right? Again, I couldn't possibly have put her in this position if I had wanted to...she got here all by herself...the I-need-to-lean-against-the-wall-to-wash-my-tummy-position....She was a delightful cat...


And though this next picture is not from the archives I just cannot contain it any longer..I took this a few days ago and was very excited to see how it came out. I have mentioned before that I have seen more Hummingbirds in the last twenty years than I had ever seen in all my 55 years before that....What I love about this picture besides the movement in it, is the city behind all this natural beauty...


More on the morrow, my dears....








****Reminder, once again: "Virtual" Birthday Party starting at 12:01am on June 27th...going till about 10:00am on June 28th...It is really soon, now...Hooray!****







28 Comments:
had this to say:

That really is a great picture! I look forward to coming to your birthday party!!

Stopping by via Michele this evening to say Hello!! (or should I say morning, since it is REALLy early :))

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 1:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't know where to start on all the things I want to say after reading this post! I'll just touch on a few. Well, how did the siblings feel about the play? Any of them aware of it/see it? I wish we had a way to see it. I'm going to have to check into what Theatre West's doing these days and head on over....
My mom passed away after illness almost 2 years ago and I related to this post.
I love the hummingbird pic. I need one just like that for my wall at work!
And your kitty was adorable. My pets have been family (better than some of the people). :)
Have a wonderful Friday!

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 2:59:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

The kitty is adorable. Nicky, one of the ragdolls, sits like this often; as if to prop up the wall. And the hummingbird, so hard to capture.

So much talent wrapped up in one lovely lady. Amazing.

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 5:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've heard of that disease, but never known of anyone diagnosed with it. It's hard to fight an illness when no one knows what it is. I'm sorry it affected your family.

That hummer! Oh my! That is an awesome photo. Happy weekend!

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 6:10:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

Strangely enough, though the story about your mom has come sadness... the part where the doctor showed the women that it was cancer...

Priceless. Who knows how many people they told or found... How many women caught it early thanks to your mom?

That's actually such a great story!

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 8:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm glad that you were able to find a way to deal with the loss of your mother in the play and that it was such a rewarding experience both professionally and I would assume personally as well.

Lovely photos as well. :-)

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 8:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That is a great photo of your mom.

Here via Michele.

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 8:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Cancer is a very hard thing, and even moreso when it affects someone you're very close to. My father contracted a form of stomach cancer that only 3rd world countries are supposed to get...he had two years of varying goodness, but eventually we lost him. So, my sympathies to you.

Also, re: the play - that was a lovely thing to do. I wish there were some photos in color. :)

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 8:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

hi from michele

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 9:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So lovely and tender your Mom’s photo! I am so sorry about her disease.
I am very impressed with your play you wrote about your mother! What a marvelous homage to her and what a great talent and courage, Naomi, to wrote this play! Just amazing! Really you are a very creative and gifted artist!

Love the kitty pictures. And the hummingbird’s photo at the background of the big city is just stunning! Gorgeous!

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 10:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your life has been so full and so rich. I'm so pleased that your are sharing it with us.

Hugs to you this day.

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 11:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow - look at your name all over that playbill!! :-)

I'm so proud, even though I didn't know you then....(is that even LOGICAL??)

My mother's mother died when she was a young woman and I think it affected her very deeply. It's never easy when there is illness in the family.

[hugs]

still dusting off my bling, getting it all nice and shiny for Tuesday!

cq

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 1:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi -- just found your site -- but don't remember from whom! Anyway, I've thoroughly enjoyed reading about your past. You have had a varied and wonderful life.

Not to mention - I LOVE your view from the hills. (I wanna drive to wherever you are and take a peek!)

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 2:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

HI Naomi!.. wow what a story about your mom and then the play!

love the "chubby cat" picture lol I have one like that somewhere of a cat we use to have. He's lean on the wall to clean his belly (every bit as big as your cats!) and then he'd let his back slide down the wall and lay on his back! dern cats! haha

Love the hummer!! I do miss them. There were lots and lots of them in san fernando valley when I lived there..and i loved them!

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 4:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I never know how to comment. Your posts are so rich, so full of tantilizing bits of emotion and information---I don't know where to start.

I'll just say "Keep it up!" We'll never get tired of listening. You're a very wise old lady and I send you much love and wishes for a week of peace.
love
lucyd

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 4:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have always enjoyed reading your posts and this one of your mom brought tears to my eyes. You must have been a very devoted daughter. Am sure your mom is smiling big up there now.

(((Hugs)))

Btw, just in case I will be late for your virtual party, can you reserve a delicious chocolate for me? LOL

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 5:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Very nice photos. I would say it could be a tear jerker as it really brought tears in my eyes. My mom is 78 but is alive and still kicking but looking at your pictures gave me a strange picture on my mind how my mom would be in that state and if ever I could see her in this state.
You're party is 3 days away from where I am and I'm very much excited. Are those chocolates? Amazing!

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 6:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a touching tribute to your mom, and how COOL that you wrote a play about it and it PLAYED! I just love your life. So awesome!

The cat pictures are just great. I loved having cats (my first husband and I had four between us) but I am horribly allergic to them. That's what triggered my first go-round with asthma.

Looking forward to the party! :D

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 7:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How sad that your Mom had to get that awful disease. You did the right thing by talking with her and staying by her side! What a wonderful and precious thing to do.

There is your talent shining through again with your play writing and music, and .....so many things!!

(Oh my hubby goes to the dentist on Tuesday! Thanks for asking!!).

You are a sweet person Naomi. It sure would be nice to visit you in person!

Oh, the cat Miss Moon - she is so pretty!! What a doll baby!! Give Sweetie a pat and a kiss for me!

Great blog Naomi, just GGRREEAATTT (like Tony the Tiger says it)!

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 7:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful tribute to your Mom.

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 7:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That was incredibly touching. I lost my mom to an ilness I'd never heard of - C.R.E.S.T. syndrome... and was there when she passed. One of the worst things I've ever had to deal with... but that's life, I guess.

Nice to see you.
p

Here via Michele.

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 8:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A touching story, Naomi. I suppose the writing of that play was cathartic for you. Has it ever been staged again? I sure would like to see it and hear your music and see your painting!

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 9:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Once again I am touched and amazed by your life's story. The play that your wrote about your mom-It really struck me how you had them eating at a restaurant, but with the hospital room in the background-how true that is when someone you love is in that situation everything you do is feels like the hospital room is right there. I have to ask-did your siblings and such like the play and were they supportive of it?

That hummingbird picture is incredible!!

Here via Michele tonight.....counting down to the party!

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 10:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This was a very touching story, Naomi. Although it was a bit close to home with what I've been going through. I only hope that I eventually write a fitting tribute to my mother as you did to yours. You are a very special lady.

LAST GIRL ON EARTH

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 10:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My mom died when I was 33 - of renal disease. Losing your mom is hard no matter what your age, though.

Friday, June 23, 2006 at 11:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

you are quite a talent. I am impressed! and I am here from michele

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 12:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for sharing your Mom's story with us. I'm sure your play about her touched many people.
The picture of the humming bird is awesome!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 12:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm sure that play was like therapy for you.
It's great that you used triple talents of yours in it!!
Writing the play, the music and using your artwork.
WOW!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 9:26:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.