Tuesday, June 13, 2006
reviewing life

Here is a photograph from about 1934-35. The whole family was in Canada, where my father had an office...it was Purim, and this was me in my Purim Costume...I really don't have very clear memories of this except through the photograph itself...if you know what I mean...We didn't actually live in Canada though we were there on this trip for an extended stay...My father spent a great deal of time in Canada and by the time I was born, he was away probably three to four days a week so I never really had the 'best' of him in his "Daddy" mode, which got old for him before my brother was born...Of course he would be around but not involved, if you know what I mean....

Here is a photograph of me with my father at his 80th Birthday Celebration, in 1979. He died August 31st, 1981 from a heart attack. He had just turned 82 a few weeks before. Another one of those times when I could feel I was getting terribly ill that night at this party and ended up with my umpteenth pneumonia and had to stay in the Hotel for over an extra week before I could fly home and continue my recovery back at home...(the results of the Bonchiectasis I have written about before, but didn't know I had till just about two years ago)...that Hotel stay was pretty horrible...Daddy Joe was not exactly 'there' for me...nothing new there, but hard to take when you are ill and he was maybe ten blocks away. (That's a whole other post for another time....)And jumping around in time, but staying with "Daddy Joe"...(That's how he always signed all his letters...Daddy Joe....). Here we are at the only Art Opening of mine that he ever came to...Ankrum Gallery, 1978. From left to right, Bill Challee, superb actor/gallery owner next to his life and business partner, Joan Ankrum, who had also been an actress under contract to Warner Bros. 'back in the day'...My father's fourth wife, Olga, my father and me and my dear sweet friend Earl Hollinan...a wonderful actor and a man very involved with animals...He has been President of Actors & Others For Animals for over thirty years....a truly dedicated man. This show was called "The Excessives"....I loved these paintings...I loved the colors and everything about them...well I guess it's good that I did since I painted them! (lol) And you can see right through my dress! Lordy!

The above photograph is when I was Confirmed at Temple Bethel in Great Neck....That would have been 1944. We had a little party in our garden at the house on Pont Street after the ceremony...I love that I am carrying a flower arrangement like a bride! Don't ask! I don't remember if we all carried them or if my mother decided it would be a lovely thing to give me. Whatever...it was a very pretty bouquet.

More Tomorrow....

***And don't forget the Party on June 27th, beginning at 12:01 a.m and going through till 10:a.m. on June 28th...Food and Drink will be served ...maybe even breakfast for all you early birds...So do come and bring your Party Mood with you...I'll supply the hats!***







24 Comments:
had this to say:

Terrific pics there Naomi! Love the one of you and your father!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 2:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a nice look into your past, Naomi! I wish I had known you then. Sorry you had pneumonia so much and all that went with it. You were/are a beautiful woman, and so very talented. Are all your paintings abstract?

BTW: I will be at the party with bells on!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 4:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love that you are going all out on this!! It lets us "newbies" to your blog get to know you better!

I believe a number of those people from Actors and Others for Animals are also on the Board of Shambala Preserve. I know Betty White was back when I volunteered there. And pretty sure Earl Holliman was also. (but not positive lol)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 5:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

yHi Naomi, love your photos and histories about your life. Your Dad looks a very nice and likeable gentlemen. In Portuguese we say that he is "muito simpático", that means "very likeable".
Your smile, Naomi, is very beautiful and transmit much happiness and joyful, too.

About your party, let me ask to you: June 27th at 12:01 a.m is midnight in California, isn't? So here in Brazil the party begin at 4:01 a.m, right? Certainly will be a great day!

As you can see, like you, I put a clock at my page. Love it!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 6:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Again, great trip down memory lane. Now I need to go look up Purim Costume. :)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 8:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, me again!
Wow, how amazing is your list of country visitants! You have many fans all over the world! Congratulations!
Your blog, photos and issues are a truly great success!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 8:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm enjoying strolling with you down memory lane! When I saw the party hat, I got really excited...because yes, I love parties. This is the best kind, I don't have to worry about what I wear!! cya!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 9:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Can I say anything to add to what my fellow bloggers have written?

No :-)

You know I love you dearly, Naomi. These glimpses into your life are private and precious.

Thank you for sharing.....

oh, and you were just the cutest little button, weren't you??? :-)

cq

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 9:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I love the party idea!! I will have to put it on my new day planner :)

I love pictures from times lost...I have pictures from my relatives right when they came to America from Russia and I feel like I am looking into another world

I also have pictures of my grandfather during World War II (he had already come over so he did not get caught in the camps) he was in the army

Beautiful pics as always!! :)

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 10:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I look forward to attending your par-TAY!!
I will eat a lot of cake, and although I'm not a drinker, I plan to get smashed at your b-day gig.

I love these kinds of posts!! Please do more that tell of your life and the people in it.
I wish your dad would have been more involved with your on a personal level. I am blessed to have such a great dad whom I share so much with.

I wouldn't worry about the fact that your dress was see-through. At least you were wearing a slip!!!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 10:17:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your reply made me laugh...and rethink my original comment to you. I've decided that rather than NOT worrying about what to wear, I'll use your party as an excuse to go shopping and buy some new pjs! I can't wait to see your upcoming post about worrying what to wear. I do it far too much.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 11:04:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

It's nice to know the see-through dress has survived and flourished in photography for all time.

This is fabulous! What a way to celebrate.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 11:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Looking forward to the party! What an extraordinary life you have lived! I'm jealous. A little.

I was in Rialto CA for the weekend. I love LA (really, I do!) And if I were single, with no chidlren, that is where I'd live.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 1:12:00 PM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Love the see through dress! We all have shots like that, or the hanging slip, the bad hair, you name it. The Purim costume picture is just too precious! Also, love Earl Holliman on Police Woman, never knew anything about him. Glad to know he's involved with animals, wonderful creatures. Keep posting, I love the stories and the pictures!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 1:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So we are both June babies, I'm 50 on the 17th and feel the same age that you feel. Nothing changes does it :-)

I'll wish you a very happy birthday when the time comes.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 2:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love those paintings!! I would love to see more of your work!

Your pictures show what a beautiful girl and woman you are! I love these posts!!

BTW: my hubby just called ....he's cruising through Hollywood right now! I so wish I was with him!! Next time! *hugs*

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 2:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Darling Naomi - love your pictures, your reflections and the heart in your writing. Didn't comment yesterday - but surely will pop in and out and in and out for your nonstop party - "age is only important if you're a cheese (or wine)" Looking forward to the next days of your sharing with us on the BDay countdown. Hugs.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 2:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How wonderful! Thank you for sharing the wonderful pictures and memories. Can't wait for the party!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 4:25:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I love the old pictures, love to drag them out and get mom to tell us who they are. Sadly, we have several that only my grandmother knew and her mind went before Mom got all the information down. I do believe that some are pictures she found and that even my grandma didn't really know who was in them. She also did this with newspaper clippings.

Can't wait for the party!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 4:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm thouroughly enjoying these posts! It's neat getting to "know" you more.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 6:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have been completely absent from blogging lately, and after stopping by your place I realize just how much I've missed your posts. You give us a wonderful view of your life, and your pictures in this post are fabulous. I've missed reading all your interesting thoughts.

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 7:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What is a purim? (I guess I could google it, huh?) I didn't even notice you could see thru that dress until you said so! And of course, I had to go back & look to see if you could really see thru it & YES you can! LOL!

I've decided that I'm going to bring TONS of Ben & Jerrys MarshaMarsha Marshmallow ice cream to the party! Woohooo!

Tuesday, June 13, 2006 at 8:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm really enjoying these posts! :) And I wouldn't have noticed the see-thru dress either...lol!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 10:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great stuff Naomi! What a nice family! This is so much fun!!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 9:00:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.