Wednesday, June 14, 2006
further review...

This is such an interesting photograph to me...I am the little person way over to the left of the photo as we look at it---looking off into the distance, wishing...what? That I was somewhere else? I certainly look like I was trying to transport myself elsewhere. This is outside our home in Florida...1937. My dear sister Robin who died in February 2005, was eight years older than me and is sitting next to me on that little step...My mother is next, looking down on my sister Gene...(five years older than me....) Daddy Joe next to my mother...then Grandma Berman, known affectionately as 'Mema'---my mother's mother---is sitting in that first chair, and my father's mother---a rather forbidding presence---next to Mema...and my brother Gordon who is two years older than me is behind these two incredibly formidble women both of whom came to this country landing in Ellis Island---Grandma Berman when she was 13 years old, (yes, thirteen...!) having come from Lithuiana, alone! And Daddy's mother sitting next to Mema, came with 8 or 9 of her 13 living children..(her husband had died when my father was just a little over a year old...) leaving her oldest daughter Annie to take care of her two youngest children---my father and his sister Dora---in Latvia. It would be almost 5 years before she was able send for them and bring them to this country. This abandonment of sorts certainly effected the little boy my father was and much of who my father became was put into motion by those very early years of his life.

Moving right along...

This is not exactly a happy looking group! Here, below, is another photo of the four of us children taken the same day as the picture above. Good lord, I look stiff....just look at that! I still stand with my feet apart like that to this day if caught unawares....That darling little puppy was our dog "Snowball" who we were all crazy about...
At least Robin and Gene are smiling a little in this picture. Gordon and I look like we wish we were somewhere else, yet again. (I cannot get over the tension that is in my body!!!! OY VEY!!!) Gordon was such a darling little boy...so sweet and handsome looking...

And here, another picture of the four of us....much water under the bridge by the time this was taken....we all had learned how to pretend that things were just fine....(help!) We are standing on a kind of balcony patio-porch thingy outside the master bedroom of the house in Great Neck...the home my mother lived in for 40 years until she died...the home we all grew up in...this, outside her bedroom in

the home my parents bought in 1926,and the home my father left when my parents seperated and then three years later...divorced.

Moving into a whole other 'galaxy'...here is a photo of me during my 'singing in nightclubs/trying to record songs that will be "pop" hits-days'--1955-56. These pictures were taken in the best way to take pictures---the persons being unaware that pictures are actually being taken. Okay. Who are these people...? Well, the man nearest to me was one of the musicians on this recording session, who's name I do not remember...Behind me on the right is Richard Camillucci my incredibly talented sweet-man-of-a "voice" teacher...and next to him, the gloriously talented Nathaniel Jones...dear dear Nat, one of the best accompianists of all time, who died much too soon and much too young of a brain tumor....

The girl in this picture? Me. Singing my little heart out....

More will be forthcoming....

***Please, my dear blogesphereies....do come to my "virtual" Birthday Party, to begin at 12:01a.m. on June 27th...and celebrating till around 10a.m. on June 28th...And remember...you are only limited by your "imagination"...that's what the wonderful dear Craziequeen said when she had her party a few months ago...and what a party it was....and she is absolutely right! Dress Code? Well, again, use your imagination. Whatever you wear will be "perfect"....because the 'Dress Code' is whatever makes you happy! (Oh, I love this party I'm giving...love it more than I can say....!!!) What am I wearing??? Well, maybe nothing!....Lol, Lol, Lol***







21 Comments:
had this to say:

Fascinating and a lovely insight into OOLOTH!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 2:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

woohoo! you were quite the dish, naomi! can't wait for the other pics! ;)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 6:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love so much all photos, Naomi!
Thank you for sharing your lovely memories!

So fashion that you, your Mother and your sister had a scarf on neck! Charming!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 6:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love looking at all the photos, Naomi. I remember the white shoes that the women had on in the first photo. My mom used to wear those in the early 40's. Please post more!!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 7:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those were lovely memories. Very nostalgic. I see that you're getting ready for the party. I'll be there for sure.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 7:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful collection of photos and look inside your life. Indeed, it is a slice of Americana itself! Keep it coming, I love this stuff!

~Mike

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 8:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for sharing memories, happy and sad, of your past. I enjoy reading it. Love the pictures you have included. I look forward to your party.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 10:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Darling Naomi,
How we'd all love to hear you sing. Claude over at Blogging in Paris records all her posts. They're in French---which I don't understand, but I often listen just because I love hearing her voice. It's so immediate and intimate. Perhaps you can arrange to do it too. I think Claude uses Meg at Mandarin for help.

I'd also love to hear more about your family dynamics...I infer a bit of drama there.

Can't wait for the party!
love,
lucyd

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 12:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my, there is speculation about who your "Star" daddy would have been at Daisy's. Great pictures...hope you didn't mind we extended your invite!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 12:22:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Thanks for sharing your memoirs, Naomi, it is delightful to sort of "meet" your family...see your pictures and read the lovely descriptions. I wouldn't miss your party for the whole world! chilled champagne is my kind of drink. Now I will go through my wardrobe to see if I have anything appropiate to wear at such a special occasion, what fun!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 12:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful post, I absolutly adore going through peoples old photo albums and this is the best way to do it complete with narrative.
BTW that ball picture is only a week old that is this years version of the "kiss" between sisters.
Different clothes and a year older lol.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 1:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What wonderful photographs...I love looking at these pictures of your past! Thanks for letting us share in your past as well in your present!!

*hugs*

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 1:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

There's that cute little button girl again :-)

Reminded me of times as a child I would wander through my mother's memories in her black and white photos - clothes were much the same too :-)

How are Walt and Clara settling in?

cq

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 1:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those are great pictures! Happy *almost* your birthday ;)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 2:43:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I am excited to see how this party works. Sounds like a fun time. Love all the old pictures, too. Your brothers and sisters were quite photogenic.... as are you.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 5:56:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I am excited to see how this party works. Sounds like a fun time. Love all the old pictures, too. Your brothers and sisters were quite photogenic.... as are you.

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 5:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Truly a lovely post again Naomi! Interesting life you have had. I love all the pictures of you and your family. Such sweet memories!!
This party is going to be such fun!!

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 9:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Like a living scrapbook, with stories and everything. Loving it! :)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 9:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the pictures! You mentioned standing with your feet apart in the second one--I have to say that I have tons of pictures of me like that when I was a child, and to this day I still do that.

I think I will wear comfy pajamas to your party! :)

Wednesday, June 14, 2006 at 10:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm loving reading/seeing these posts. I wish I could hear you sing!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 2:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Look at YOU!
You were singing like a little songbird.
What a doll! I hope you were having a ball!!!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 3:40:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.