Thursday, June 15, 2006
more reviewing of my life

WOAH!!! She's looking off into another world---one might say with hope in her heart...He's looking directly into the camera! They really had different dreams about life and what was important in life. The year? 1922 or 1923?..I'm not sure which....if indeed they were both 23 then it had to be 1922....

Who are these people?

These people are my parents. Well, this was at least 11 or 12 years before I was born...As it turned out, these people were completely mismatched. They never, ever should have been married. And they certainly should never ever have had children. But they did.
Is this a happy face? I don't think so. This is how I really felt at this point in my life. This picture breaks my heart....well, my heart was already broken as one can see in this picture...and this photograph shows how truly vulnerablly brokenly 'open' my heart was, at almost nine years old....I couldn't hide it...I am sorry to start off with a kind of downer here.....but that is how it is...just being honest here as I reach the three-quarter century mark....

I love this next picture...it is such a sweet pairing...My brother Gordon and me....I was maybe 3 1/2 years old...so that would make him 5 1/2 years old. He was always my protector as a child...He stuck up for me and really kind of watched out for me...the fact that we were only two years apart somehow made us very close... We are still close to this day...Sometimes it is hard to believe that my siblings and I are as old as we are! Gordon will be 77 in September and Gene will be 80 years old in October....How did this happen? Here is Gene and then my mother seated in the chair....me behind them, Gordon sitting on the floor, and Bobby and Robin...(they had been married in 1944...this photogragh was around late 1945-early 1946...) We are in the living room of the house on Pont Street---this is the house we all grew up in and the house my mother lived in until she died April 2, 1966....How did these people above, become these people below.....? This is Gene, Robin, and Gordon...At his 75th Birthday, two years ago. I was not able to travel because of my health issues, so I am not in this picture. And the following February, we lost Robin...

Moving back in time a bit...here was another happy time...another Art Opening of mine...1987. This was my "Heart Revisited" show at Ankrum Gallery, L.A.

This was a happy night as you can see...the painting is a rather small canvas (14 X 14) and I painted it thinking a lot about Sondheim's great great show, "Sunday In The Park With George" which is really about the struggle of an artist to stay true to himself---in this case the artist George Seurat. The painting has a very long name: "Homage to George S. & Stephen S...'All mind, no heart, no life in his art, no life in his life'..."....All the paintings in this show of mine in 1987 had the Valentine Heart image in them with a lot going on inside...Here is another painting from that show...this painting is called "Breakthrough" and is 72 X 80... The puzzle of the heart...the puzzle of life...the hope behind the heartbreak...I leave you with that, today...




***Just a reminder of the coming "Virtual" Birthday Party to be held here starting at 12:01 on June 27th and going on till about 10a.m. on June 28th....The lovely Craziequeen from across the Pond has offered her Staff to me for this "do", and it was so gracious of her---I thank you dear CQ with all my heart...So, we will have these two very special people...the very handsome Walt...


And the adorable Clara....
both of whom took care of everyone's needs---and I do mean everyone, and I do mean needs....(draw your own conclusions, my dears...) So remember to wear whatever you like and remember also to bring your appitite!







21 Comments:
had this to say:

It's going to be a lovely party! :) I sure like these posts about your life/family/art. Do you show your art any more?

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 3:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love the reviewing of your life, Naomi. Very moving and beautiful.
The photos are much expressive and each one can tell a history
as well.
So likeable your two sister and brother! Love also the photo of a "happy night" and love your painting too!
Looking forward to see more of this great series!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 6:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This trip down memory lane is wonderful, although at times bittersweet for you.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 7:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great photo's, great blog, great life. Growing old does puck. Will make a note to stop back for the party, but don't know if I'll be able to make it. Best wishes.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 7:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

you sure are talented! to second wendela, do you still have art shows? ;)

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 8:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've only known one other person to get excited of "certain birthdays" (my x sister in law) she held a "fourty is fantastic" party and a "Fifty is Nifty" party.. I don't know if she did one when she turned 60 or not.. we need one for your party!... hmmm... "I've Arrived, at Seventy-Five!"??

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 10:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I absolutely love looking at other people's pictures, especially the older black and white ones. I've noticed that in the much older pictures (yours as well as other's), people rarely smiled. Was this because they didn't think to do it? Were the miserable? I love how you're giving the history behind your photos. I can't wait until the birthday party, too!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 10:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I just love your idea of memory lane. You can't leave out the sad picture of you. It would be denying a part of your life. I love the picture of you and Gordon as children and the memory that goes with it. I also love your painting "Breakthrough." I love the puzzle concept. I can't wait for your party. It will be so exciting.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 11:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You're as young as you feel, numbers don't matter at! Now the question is, am I convincing myself? LOL

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 11:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Since I first met you, I have loved that picture 'breakthrough'.
..so many messages in that one pretty piece of work :-)

cq

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 1:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great photos....loved your painting. Hope you remembered to play in the Blog Olympics....can't break your sliver streak unless you're going for gold.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 3:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It breaks my heart that you were so sad as a child.
I'm glad you had your brother to look out for you.
The photo of you and your brother is so precious.

I'm glad you have had happy times like your art shows and the acting you've done and all the friends you have made over the years!!

The heart painting is wonderful.

It's almost party time!!!!!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 3:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, I have to say that picture of as a child spoke millions. It is amazing how we can see a persons heart through their eyes.

I love your paintings...the hearts are amazing!

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 4:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Still loving all these walks back down memory lane with you.
My aunt and uncle are the Ponts ! how funny is that.
Can't wait for the party.
Michele sent me today but I am here every day anyway !

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 5:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm really enjoying this walk through the years with you. Thanks for taking us along for the ride.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 7:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am absolutely in love with your picture breakthrough..it is incredible.

It is wonderful that you had a special "protector" that was your brother and you could be so close.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 8:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your parents HAD to have you because I can't imagine us not having you.

Your brother being your protector was as eloquent a thought as you've ever shared with us. I wish I could somehow inject that sense of brotherly/sisterly love in my own kids.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 8:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The photo of your parents really does say a lot. I have *no* pictures of my parents together (and they were married for 17 years), but such a picture would probably look a lot like yours if I did.

Via Michele's.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 11:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me, Naomi.

I obviously have some serious catching up to do, Naomi. I'll visit every day for the next few weeks since you're using a lot of energy to illustrate your life before your 75th Birthday Party in 2 weeks.

I like the picture of you at the gallery, Naomi, but have trouble reconsiling it with your other pictures. You sure did change a lot! In the family photo, I can see a lot of similarity between your Mother and you and your Sister, Naomi, but "that look" seems to have disappeared as you've gotten older and grown your own identity.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 11:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Here I am a day late to read this. Truly another lovely post Naomi. I love all the pictures and getting to know more about your family and life. You are truly an amazing person.

This is so much fun having you share all this. You do it so well!

Friday, June 16, 2006 at 6:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Boy, I sure did miss a lot while I was gone! I have now read down to this point, Naomi, and I love all of it. Your story is so interesting and the photos bring it to life. Thanks for sharing with all of us!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 7:26:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.