Tuesday, June 06, 2006
the letter "T"!


Dak-Ind gave me the letter "T" to do for this game...and if you want to do it, here is how it goes: You have to come up with 10 words starting with a letter that either you choose yourself or that someone chooses for you. And these words are not just any words. No. That would be too easy. The words have to be meaningful to you, and you must give an explanation of why each of these words are important to you. And if you want to play the game, do leave that in your comment here and I will give you a letter in a comment or e-mail on your blog.

So, here goes:

"T"

1.-THINGY--I love this word because it comes in so very handy when you cannot think of the correct word for whatever it is you are trying to think of...or, you just don't know that word in the first place. Thingy is a very handy word in that it covers a huge amount of thingys!

2.- TENNESSEE--When I think of this word of course I know it is a Southern State and that Nashville, Tennessee is the home of Country Music, but, what I think of is Tennessee Williams.
Tennessee Williams was one of the most important playwrights of the twentieth century and his plays have been a very important part of my life...First of all seeing almost all of them in their original Broadway productions and being involved in three other productions of three plays by Tennessee. My first paying job as an actress was in "A Streetcar Named Desire"....a Beautiful Beautiful play. And I wrote an Original score for a production of "The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore", here in Los Angeles, and, again, for a production of "The Glass Menagerie" in Palm Springs. Tennessee Williams writing was inspired and also extremely inspiring...

3.- TAMPON--One of the greatest inventions of the 20th Century.
"Free At Last" could have been their slogan...as I'm sure almost any woman would say...The genius who invented this deserves some kind of Award...Like, the Greatest Invention Ever! Agreed? And I am so happy to say I haven't had to worry about buying a box for a good twenty years! One of the great advantages of Menopause...maybe the only one other than not having to worry about getting pregnant ever again.

4.- TORN--I have used this word many times in naming paintings of mine in the past. 'Torn Apart'...is the one that comes to mind most vividly. It was a painting of the Valentine Heart Image that looks broken and you know it will never be put back together because of the way it was broken cause it truly does look 'torn'...yet, you can see how IF you could repair it, it maybe possibly might just be put back together, except, in your very torn heart, when you are not in denial, you know this torn-ness is there forever....
It is very hard to describe a painting that represents 'feelings'.

5.- TSURIS--I guess this is a perfect word to follow the word Torn...Well, I sure have had my share of Tsuris in life, as anyone who is alive and breathing can attest to for themselves without fear of contradiction that they have had tsuris....I mean you cannot be alive and breathing and not have had some tsuris in your life. For those not familiar with this word...it is a Yiddish word and it means 'trouble'...like, "OY have I got Tsuris!"....Or as Meredith Wilson so aptly put it..."Trouble, right here in River City". He could have actually written; "Tsuris, right here in River City"....Sometimes it used like this, too..."OY, she was responsible for so much Tsuris! For some reason a word like this is so much more expressive to me than 'trouble'. The richness of Yiddish is deeper and more meaningful, you know? "Nobody knows the Tsuris I've seen....'" That works, doesn't it? Now, ".....a bridge over Tsurised waters...", no....that doesn't work.

What I feel at this time...I feel that our world is in so much Tsuris...deep deep Tsuris abounds here in 2006, and it is very very depressing to me. It gives me Tsuris. And Shpilkis, and Gadukis! What do those words mean? It means that the Tsuris in the world today makes me nervous....It gives me Shpilkis & Gadukis. Okay, Shpilkis is like ants in your pants...and gadukis---that's where you can't stand the ants in your pants!

Moving on....

6.- TUNE--I love the word tune...it signifies to me singing and writing music, and I do both, and have for all of my life.
There are so very many wonderful tunes--and that can also includes lyrics to these tunes sometimes, too....I often hear harmony and I have no idea why or where that comes from...I don't think that in my case it is a learned thing...I think it certainly has developed more and more as time has gone on, but I always just start singing harmony if someone is singing the tune...and the harmony is a separate tune in itself, too...but I "hear" it in relation to the tune and not so much as a separate tune...and that is so much fun! It is joyous to me.

7.- TEETH--Oh Lordy! I would love to have every dollar that was spent on my teeth from the time I was about twelve when the serious problems began... I could have bought a house in Hawaii on the beach....! The 4000+ hours spent in the dentists chair; the 1500+ shots of Novacaine and/or Zylocaine; the more than 50+ surgeries; the 30+root canals--for those who are unfamiliar with this procedure, this is the removal of the nerve or nerves from any given tooth, and some of your teeth can have up to 5 canals if you are weird like I am. Oy did I have a lot of Tsuris with my teeth! According to my first really Great Great Reconstructive dentist---my teeth were already irrevocably doomed in my mothers womb! Now that's Tsuris!




8.- TUMMY--I love the word tummy. It makes me smile. It has a sweet endearing quality to me. I like to call my tummy, 'my tummy'. I like to have my tummy rubbed...I like to fill my tummy with good comfort food. I like to fill my tummy with wonderful chocolate goodies. And I am very unhappy with how big my tummy is, at the moment.



9.- TRAIN--I use to love riding on trains. As a child I would take the Long Island Railroad from Great Neck into New York City....it was 17 miles and took, with stops, about 45 to 50 minutes.
It wasn't a particularly pretty train at all, but it was how I had to get to the city and then take the subway to my Violin lessons with Mr. Malkin on Saturday mornings. I didn't much like the subway part...but I liked the LIRR part of the trip. Mr. Malkin was a Frenchman and he and his wife who was also French, lived in a Brownstone Walk-Up...three flights up, as I recall...or was it two?
I liked Mr. Malkin. He was a very nice man and a good teacher, too. Because I had such a good ear, I wouldn't practice as much as I should have. If I was learning a new piece, I would ask him to play it for me first. And that would help me to learn the piece and not struggle through trying to read the notes. I never really learned to play as well as I should, though I played well enough to belong to the school Orchestra in Junior High School, and High School, though I actually played 2nd violin which was, come to think of it, the harmony part, usually....Hmmmm. Eventually I switched to the Viola which is a beautiful instrument---slightly bigger than the violin and with a much deeper richer sound...and there were just two of us in the Orchestra...that was harmony, also...I did digress....Oh well....that's what thinking about a train will do.


10.- TEENY--When I think of the word teeny, I think of my Orange Tabby Teeny. What a great cat he was. He was one of Baby's kittens from her second litter...and was so darling that I just had to keep him. I already had three cats. His mother Baby, his Uncle--Baby's brother Sugar, and another very dear, very Egyptianny looking cat named Silky...of course, Teeny took over the household and I guess in today's terms he became the Alpha Cat. Not right away, but as time went on he definitely became King Of The Hill. He slept with me at night either up against my chest, spoon style, or stretched out against my back--both of us, back to back. He was a delightfully funny cat---in fact all my cats have been funny cats or I should say, I thought they were funny. They all made me laugh. A lot! And Sweetie who is my only kitty now makes me laugh a lot, all the time!


And that's my list of words for the letter "T"! Let me know in the comments if you want to play the game....







27 Comments:
had this to say:

A good list, Naomi! I love trains too, and I have had a lot of trouble with my teeth, just like you. I'll play the game - give me a good letter.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 7:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

These were totally terrific (meant in the best way- isn't it weird how that word can mean either good or bad ?! )
:) Anyway, I'd love to play.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 7:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

i love your list of "t" things, naomi! i may just have to try it out myself one of these days...hahaha. :)tl

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 8:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love reading your games's answer, Naomi. You have a great sense of humor. I love also the "Thingy" word. You are right, "Thingy" is a very handy word! Actually I have been using this word many times! Lol! "Give me this .... thing! How is the name of this ...thing! I am afraid that is the "Thing" of the age! Lol!

When I was a kid, I remember that was very impolite to calls someone as "Thing". In Portuguese means "Coisa".

I think I am unable to answer this game because I have many language's difficulties.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 9:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

wonderful! funny though, i gave you T because the first word to come to mind when i thought of you was "Theatre".

what a great list!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 12:09:00 PM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

That was very enjoyable and enlightening. Okay, I'm game. Give me a letter! :-)

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 12:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love this post Naomi!
Your writing brings me comfort, I feel it somewhere in my tummy :) Like a big bowl of homemade chicken soup.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 1:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A terrific list of "T"s. You've inspired me, so slip me a letter.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 1:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That's cool. I was given the letter "g" some time ago, but due to circumstances beyond my control... some tsuris, I was unable to participate.

I can relate to "thingy" for obvious reasons; "tsuris, as mentioned; "torn" as I often am; "teeth" because they're all mine and not a single hole in any of them, ever; and "train," I just love 'em!

~Mike

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 2:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What fun! I'd love to play.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 2:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am working on the letter M right now. Michele sends me today.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 2:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Teeny is too cute!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 3:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love your list of T's. I have seen this meme several times on other blogs but have never asked for a letter. Hmmm Feel like throwing me one and I will give it a whirl.

C

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 4:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Tampons, trouble, teeth, etc.
I rejoice in the invention of the tampon as well.
As far as the trouble... we've ALL had our share, haven't we. Thank goodness we all have goodness in our lives as well.
I just had my teeth cleaned last week. I LOVE the feeling afterwards.
Very terrific list of T words.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 4:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

All that dental work! OY!! That is definitly tsuris!! My tummy is too big too. I think I might have to say bye-bye to chocolate. That is tsuris too!!! So hard to quit the goodies!!

That Teeny was another handsome cat!

Great post Naomi!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 6:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

When If Meets Must

If we can fight together, we must strive together
If we can play together, we must pray together
If we can plan together, we must stand together
If we can cry together, we must try together
We must strive together, if we can fight together
We must pray together, if we can play together
We must stand together, if we can plan together
We must try together, if we can cry together
The future of man is built on a plan
Of working together whenever we can
So "if" must stand so tall
And "must" alone, cannot fall
For together, forever we bring
The best, the good of it al
Thank you Naomi!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 7:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hey, I have a nosy-ass question...

Is this you?

http://www.artisticlicensing.com/naomicaryl.html

It's odd how I came upon the link and the part about the cactus garden made me think of you.

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 8:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your list! It made me smile and laugh...especially "tummy" since Little Girl loves to point to her tummy and her belly button right now...hehehe!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 9:47:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I have read quite a few of these lists, but none so well developed like yours, Naomi! Wonderful! learned about tsuris!

Tuesday, June 6, 2006 at 10:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a brilliant list. Very different from all the other lists I have been reading

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 at 9:27:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

You know I love big vocabularies. Tsuri is such a great word.

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 at 10:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great list. Like others, I love tsuris. I use thingy a lot myself. :-)

Wednesday, June 7, 2006 at 5:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Once again, I put in my 2 cents and it didn't publish.

Very interesting--this letter game tells folks a lot about people.

It's all good.

Blogger is driving me nuts still. Is there an alternative?

Thursday, June 8, 2006 at 1:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'd like to play. Please give me a letter.

Friday, June 9, 2006 at 1:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hey, your blog got a 'new do'! Looks great, too. Okay. Hit me with your best shot. I'll take a letter. But no vowels! lol.

By the way, I agree with you about #4!

Saturday, June 10, 2006 at 12:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

hi naomi! finally got around to doing your letter tag. come see if it passes muster. would've wanted to post a picture for each entry but blogger has been giving me a hard time the whole day! :(

Sunday, June 11, 2006 at 8:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I finally posted mine here.

Thursday, June 15, 2006 at 11:05:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.