Wednesday, May 17, 2006
spring has sprung



This is a sweet little flower on a small strange and beautiful plant. The flower is only slightly slightly bigger than a 'nickel', but not as big as a 'quarter'...This is one of those plants that looks like it was under the sea at one time...Who knows, maybe it was....It is down below my house on the hill which is completely developed with cactus and succulants and staircases and walkways...A few things are blooming now and I was lucky enough to catch some of them the other day...It was late afternoon so the light then is different, you know? I love that time of day...the sun hasn't dipped behind the mountain yet, so it is still bright and beautiful but not too horribly warm....

This is the top of a Euphorbia Amak Verigated that is full-to-bursting with little yellow flowers...These are bigger than a pin head but much smaller than a penny. In the late afternoon sun, they look darker than they really are....

This is a gorgeous bright red flower that lasts just one day. One Day! This is not uncommon as you have already gathered from previous posts, and of course, that's what makes these flowers that much more precious. I just happened to catch this on the right day...if I had gone down below earlier, this beauty would have been more open, but I was grateful to catch this view...because the next day it would have been completely closed up...
Here is a slightly different view where you can see part of the plant itself. Of course I cannot remember the name of this very wonderful plant, but suffice it to say, I love it and the flowers it produces, too.

These are very very small flowers...the size of a fairly small woman's pinky nail...they look bigger in this picture, but, they really aren't.
I love the symmetry of this plant and the flowers that appear in this perfect circle around the top---always leaving the center of the plant as is...Almost all the flowers on cactus and succulants turn into fruit. I should know why, but I don't...but as that starts to happen, (just like with George) I will show you the the different fruits if I can.

One more beauty...this one a 'yellow' person...Sorry it is so dark...Again, a one-day-wonder which I just happened to be lucky enough to catch....

Here is a picture of that same flower and one bud like it that hadn't opened yet and the little plant that produces these miracles.

And one more look at that flower on George, because about two hours later, it had closed up...now on the next part of it's journey...becoming fruit...
More to come....

























22 Comments:
Blogger JR
had this to say:

Oh I love you new template! It's so pretty and light! Did you design it yourself? I'd love to do something like that on my blog. *sigh*

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 10:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

such wonderful variety of color and shape. i always enjoy a nice stroll thru your garden

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

ok.. so this is book 2.

book one is mothers and daughters..
book 2 is called Naomi and the Blooming Cactus! All photos. heh

great photos as always..

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 12:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos & I love looking at your new design!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 1:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

We also have the pink flowering cactus and I love the tiny pink flowers! The last one I have heard called an Easter Lily Cactus, but I don't know the "real" name of it. :)

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 1:17:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I am so impressed with your pictures. Although it seems our vegetation is similar , I don't see those flowers around here. Thanks for sharing. It makes me open my eyes and look around my own surroundings!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 1:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love the new look! Awesome, like you!!

Love the flowers of course. So amazing again. Thanks for getting those pictures and sharing them with us Naomi.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 1:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW... Your garden is... well, BLOOMING!

Cool as always!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 1:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The new template looks gorgeous, she did a great job! Is the flower in the header one of yours? I also love the cacti! When I was going to UCONN, I used to stop down in the nursery and they would put out shoots and roots leftover from experiments. For a couple of weeks, they had nothing but Cacti, and I took them all home. They're the only houseplants I didn't kill, yay me!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 2:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I appreciate your photos, Naomi. I am so unfamiliar with cacti and you are teaching me all about them. I love those tiny hot-pink ones that form a circle.

Wednesday, May 17, 2006 at 8:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! They all look beautiful, lovely, and whatever adjectives that goes along with these beautiful flowers.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 3:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love your cacti flowers, Naomi!
They are amazing!

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 6:32:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

The pictures are gorgeous. I particularly like that last pale yellow one, not George, but the one before that. Georg's flower is lovely too, but that pale but a bit smokey yellow is lucious.
If all these bloomed, at the same time, even if for just one day, what a sight that would be on the side of the hills.

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 10:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm loving the new template and the story of the flowers, especially George as this is also now the name of our new arrival!

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 1:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos of the flowers, and I really like the new blog look!

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 2:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh all the blooms are so pretty!! I love how everything is starting to pop!!

Always a pleasure to come see you!!

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 2:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just love your new look...the colors suit you perfectly. Reminds me of the green of the cactus. It's really very pretty...

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 7:10:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Can't get enough of your pictures, that's why Michele sent me this time to say hello!

Thursday, May 18, 2006 at 11:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

that last shot of George there is awesome.

i liked the red flower as well, it seems kind of sad that it lasts but one day. i guess that makes seeing it more special.

i am working valliantly to restore my moms computer to working blogger order so that she will be back up adn sharing her garden. i think i have it figured out, so soon maybe! we will keep ya updated!

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 12:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Morning OOLOTH, back again from Michele's this time.

Friday, May 19, 2006 at 1:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your plant photography gets better and better with every post. You really ought to think about making a calendar or writing a small book about growning cacti. These pictures shouldn't be wasted, they should be preserved by posterity.

Here via Michele tonight

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 4:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's hard to believe such pretty blossoms arrive to the world from prickly cacti. The "yellow person" ones are the ones I like the most. They're quite incredible. I'd never seen a picture of them before. Thanks, Naomi!

Michele sent me to see you. Again!

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at 10:52:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.