Wednesday, May 03, 2006

George!
(etc.)


Progress is visible....

Do you see the
ends of
each of these
now l-o-n-g
flowers?

We are now
beginning
to see the
first signs of
possible
blossoms...

Just the barest evidence...but, it is there...Remember, I started watching those little buttons in February...and this photograph was taken on May, 1st....Slow but sure....I'm getting very very excited now...

Here is a close-up of one the l-o-n-g flowers on the other side of George, and though it is certainly not perfect focus by any means, you can see that little bit of something-or-other on the end of it that is just starting to appear...

This is the beginning of the actual inside, sort of, of the flower itself. I will be following the progress of the "opening process" more closely than ever because I don't want to miss the culmination of this...a beautiful open flower.

ON ANOTHER FRONT: I haven't posted about the "construction" site progress in a while, so here is an update on the doings up there on that small hill.... Here is a close-up of some of the men who are working up there...this was a rather cold day...but even colder up there as you can see, so all those guys except for one had on warm hooded jacket type sweatshirts...there are seven guys working just on that one part of the project...I honestly couldn't quite figure out what they were doing.... This is where they were working, but I still wasn't sure exactly what they were doing...I thought it probably was a retaining wall for the back of the property of the proposed house to keep the hill behind it from coming down on that proposed house---(now, still just a building site)...And the above picture was taken a month ago, exactly...on April 2nd.

I obviously missed a lot of the progression of this whatever-it-is during the month of April...but, above is what that same place looked like on Monday...It has a curve to it...I still don't know what the hell this is, but it must be pretty important, cause they seem to be taking their time with it and also taking a lot of care, too.

This next set of pictures shows this huge screw-driver-type piece of equiptment as it was getting ready to bore into the ground and twist away... Then, I watched to see what it's purpose was, and caught this kind of interesting picture of what it does---or at least, the next step in it's job.... I still don't know exactly what this piece of machinary actually does, but the dirt is pulled out as the thing is still twisting---and the dirt kind of fly's around while it's being removed. I think it may be there to make holes where the pilings will go...I actually have no idea what the hell I'm talking about, but this is what I am thinking it's doing given my dime store knowledge of these things...(lol)

AND ON ANOTHER FRONT: Here are a couple of photo's of some little wild flowers I saw along the way as I walked up to the construction site... And then this one....I have no idea what this plant is or what these little berry-like things do either, but I love the way it looks, don't you? So, as Spring barrels on here in Los Angeles, we have begun our May-June overcast cold damp weather. It doesn't rain, but who knows what it actually will do this year...because normally, it doesn't rain during May & June, but it is always very overcast for both these months. It is not the prettiest time of year here in Los Angeles and not the warmest either, but it was ever thus for as long as I have lived here. And this is what you can expect to see for most of May & June.
You can expect to see very little.

I've posted a photograph of the Euphorbia Continifolia otherwise known as The Red Tree, quite a while ago...well now that Spring is springing, and the new leaves are coming in on all the Red Trees in my garden, here is a photograph of a small amount if the new leaves...as these trees fill out I will post many more pictures, but for now, here is this one...I think these leaves are the most beautiful color...rather amazing color actually...this is the tree that I have given cuttings of, to so very many people...it is not a common tree though many people mistake it for a certain kind of Maple...the Japanese Maple, which is a much more common tree...but the leaves of this Euphorbia Continifolia are a very rich red wheras the Japanese Maple is more towards the redish brown....If you saw these trees next to each other you would see the difference and also, you would see how truly gorgeous this tree is when it is in it's full glory...Here is another photo of the young leaves...

More To Come....



A Perfect Post


****Oh, and I joined the fun over at Craziequeen's and played with everyone else in the Training Session of The Blog Olympics...I was pretty late, but better late than never, right?...

And I received a SILVER MEDAL!****












26 Comments:
had this to say:

hmmm, curious to see what the construction turns out to be.

the first pic of white flowers i know is some sort of citrus tree the second i should know but it isn't coming to me. (must be old age heh)

does that cactus flower every year for you?

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 5:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love George (as you know) and I can't wait to see the blossoms. I think that big "screw" is removing dirt for the concrete pilings to be put in the ground. Watch and see if we are right about that. Love the red tree leaves; don't have a clue about the berries.

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 6:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

lovely photos. I'm glad you're taking pictures of the construction. I just would've sat around bemoaning it.

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 10:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The white flowers are lovely. They look like stephanotis.

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 1:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You know, I absolutely cannot stand our June Gloom. It's irritating and depressing. Last year, it went into part of July! I think our seasons are off by a couple of months now. Now, I think spring is actually May, June and July, summer is now August, September and October, fall is November, December and January, and winter is February,March and April. It was so cold at the beach last July we ended up coming home at noon! Sigh...who knows here in SoCal anymore.

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 4:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm looking forward to seeing George's blooms as they emerge!

The construction thing looks like a retaining wall as you said and they are putting up the forms to pour the concrete in. Amazing how they build stuff on a steep hillside like that. Gee, those guys probably have one leg shorter than the other! Ha!

Lovely little white flowers! I'll be eagerly watching for more to come!

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 5:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Very deep excavation. Plants look wonderful. They look like small pineapple. The other wild plant it looks cute. The flowers or the bud, looks like earrings with small pearl on it.

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 5:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those wild flowers are so dainty & precious. I'm glad that you named the hairy plant George & not Mary...it just wouldn't be fitting. It's really cold & hazy here, clouds rolling in, I think it may rain. I LOVE this weather.

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 5:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your pictures are very beautiful, Naomi.The close-up of George is gorgeous. About the technical side
which is your camera? And your lens?

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 6:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That construction is just crazy!

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 7:11:00 PM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

Looking at that site, I think to myself, dang is that brown and depressing back there...

Hmmmm. That's a lot of work for just a retaining wall...

Wednesday, May 3, 2006 at 11:22:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I hope the construction dust doesn't affect those pretty plants around the area! congrats on your medal again!

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 1:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello, Michelle sent me.
Nice to see some spring leaves while we are experiencing autumn down here, moving into winter.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 2:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I think that cement work their doing is to prevent erosion. I can't just remember right now the term for it.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 4:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

George is getting gorgeous...can't wait to see how he flowers!

Those wild flowers are so nice, too...your blog always makes me feel good!

We're leaving Germany in early July...going to miss it!!!

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 7:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love visiting your blog and looking at all your lovely pictures :-)

Hi, Michele sent me!

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 9:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely post - 'keep 'em coming!'

Here from Michele's this time.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 10:39:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Visiting from Michele's today -- and glad I did! What incredible photos!

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 10:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your pictures are so beautiful. I just love the flowers. Michele says hi!

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 3:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I can't wait to see the l-o-n-g floweres bloom! I'll be watching! Michele sent me tonight.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 6:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

oh flowers. how i long for flowers in my real life. we have had ana amasing spring but today was horribly wretchedly cold. dreadful business.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 7:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those white flowers look like a guava tree. I used to have a baby one that flowered and bore fruit profusely, even for one so young. I loved it. The flowers are edible -- if it is a guava tree. :) But don't go tasting it and blaming ... whatever the results ... on me.

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 10:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So much stuff here today!!
That big screw drill looks dangerous. I would be afraid to be near that thing!
I look forward to seeing George bloom!

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 11:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That house looks so precarious up on that ledge, if I bought it I'd spend my whole time worrying that it was going to slide down the hillside!
Here from Michele's this morning.

Friday, May 5, 2006 at 12:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It's strange to think that the plants you have growing wild are so exotic. They wouldn't grow here except in a hothouse. Morning from Plymouth, Devon.

Friday, May 5, 2006 at 1:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos. You've sold me on LA. That wasn't easy. I haven't been there in years, because I mostly travel for work. For some reason, there are never any events that I cover in LA.
Have a great weekend.

Friday, May 5, 2006 at 6:09:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.