Monday, May 01, 2006

Agnes de Mille

And

Morris Broderson



Following up on my last post, there is another connection that runs through my life that is pretty exciting. A very unique talented painter named Morris Broderson came into my life many many years ago. Some of the very first small pieces of art that I ever bought were Broderson's. We became very good friends I am happy to say and Morris' work hangs all over my home in almost every room. I have always admired his work and have always been very very moved by it, too. Living with his work is an 'inspiration' to me in so very many ways.

His connection to Agnes de Mille began when he saw the Ballet "Rodeo", which she had choreographed. Somewhere along the way he saw another ballet of hers called "Fall River Legand" the story of Lizzie Borden...he was so taken with that Ballet that he did a whole series of paintings based on Lizzie. At one time I owned a beautiful oil of that series called "Lizzie In Mourning", but unfortunately hard times forced me to sell this beautiful painting...and though it pained me greatly to have to part with it, I took comfort in the fact that I had other works of his.

de Mille and Broderson met after he did his 'Lizzie' series and she fell in love with his work and with him. Morris is someone to fall in love with. He is a true Modern Master, and everything about him is unique...what he paints, how he decides to paint what he paints, and although this next fact doesn't define all of him by any means, it certainly has effected who he is and how he sees the world. He happens to be deaf.

Morris has been 'profoundly deaf' since birth. He reads lips and he speaks amazingly well I might add, for a person who has never heard a 'sound' in his entire life. Morris loves to laugh and he has a wonderful sense of humor. In fact his sense of humor is better than a lot of hearing people I know! I mean it. I have probably laughed more with him than I have with 80% of the people I know.

This photo, which I wish were better, is of Agnes de Mille. Morris was at an important event where de Mille was honored. In fact it was The Kennedy Center Honors, and he was sitting behind her at one of the many events that took place. ( This painting hangs in my bedroom on the opposite wall from my bed so I get to look at it every day.) This was his view of her in her wheel chair as he sat behind her. I think it is an amazing painting--(well, a mixed media drawing actually...pencil and pastel)...The detail of the blouse she is wearing is exquisite; utterly breathtaking in it's detail. As you can see at the top of the painting there are hands spelling out something in sign language. The word he spelled out was "Dancer".

Perfect.

***There will be more about Morris Broderson as time goes on here...He has been a very important part of my life...particularly my life in Art. So, as I always like to say....More To Come....***

***** I recieved at email this morning from Deana telling me I had won this Perfect Post Award for the month of April...and this is the logo that I am putting on here as a link...I do not know how else to do this...Still very HTML Challenged, you know...A Perfect Post

This was for my post on Smoking. I am honored and I thank Deana with all my heart.*****(11:20am 5/01/06)







25 Comments:
had this to say:

I just wanted to thank you for coming by my journal and leaving a comment. I've been watching and reading your blog for just a few weeks now, and i pretty much make a stop once a day to see if you've added a new post.

I lived in CA for about 10 yrs. Partly in Encino and partly in sheman Oaks (Coldwater Canyon.. on the "poorer end" by Magnolia lol)

I so loved the atmosphere of creativity that flowed through the people there.. always someone of interest to meet.

I have only known a few "famous" people and write about them now and then. It would be hard not to when they were part of my life, as these are to you. I hope you copy all of your posts to "word" (or whatever word processing program you have) You've done and met too many interesting people to let it be tossed away if it somehow gets "lost" by a server malfunction or something.


I'll be back..

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 4:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

And the more to come will be welcomed. I have never heard of him, Naomi, but I love this pastel and I will look him up on google. Thanks.

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 5:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a truly wonderful painting! That is very unique. Artist truly are..well...artist!! Great post Naomi as usual!!

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 6:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for sharing that story.

Have a great week ahead.

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 7:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I think the reason his being deaf is an important factor is that it inspires us to know that obstacles are not walls that prohibit us from success or fulfulling our dreams. His work is wonderful. I hope you do share more of the paintings of his that you own.

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 1:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a gorgeous piece of artwork. How lucky you are to own it :)

Thanks for the comment on my blog earlier today!

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 1:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just popping over to say Good morrrrrrrning gooood morrrning, I didn't sleep the whole night through good morning good morning to you.
Another wonderful story about a very talented man :)
Ciao for now have to go replenish the brownies someone has been eating them all !!

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 1:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderfull picture! :)

Wendy directed me here today ;)

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 2:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

an intriguing post -- I enjoyed reading this. I bet your memoirs would be interesting.

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 6:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Loved this post. Our mutual blog friend, Deana, sent me over to see you today, but I'd have stopped by anyway.

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 6:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Very interesting. The most wonderful compliment you can pay an artist whose work you own is to comment on what it is like living with their work. It shows true appreciation. Most artists create hoping others will "own" their art, and that it will become part of their lives--not just a possession or an investment. Looking forward to more on Morris.

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 9:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I got here from Wendy's Blog.. how strange that I have been looking for an artist to feature soon on my Blog and here I find a Post about one. I will have to research this further... thanks.

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 10:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Found you through Wendy, I know I wasn't after your comment, but I am visiting a few of them tonight, while I have time!! I really like that picture, it is very unique.

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 10:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

what a beautiful post, and a beautiful drawing! I love coming to your blog...I get more and more educated, because your posts are SO informative!

Michele sent me....

Monday, May 1, 2006 at 11:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It sure is an amazing painting.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 12:10:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What an awesome drawing! It would be wonderful to actually have some great works of art and to know the artist as well...
Wendy directed me here today ;)

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 12:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Congrats on your award. All of your posts are good reads and that one was especially so.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 9:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I have never heard of him, but the painting is very beautiful.
Great post as always, Naomi.

Congratulations for the Perfect Post Award for the month of April!!

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 10:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This is a lovely piece. Delightfully different.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 12:28:00 PM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

So behind on my blog viewing, but thought I'd pop in quickly and see what lovely pictures you had posted for today. What a beautiful drawing! It's captivating in its simplicity. I can feel the warmth and love for his subject. I haven't ventured further to see if you posted any other pictures of his work, so if you haven't, I'd love to see more. Thanks for sharing.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 1:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What an interesting picture! Very cool. And congratulations on the perfect post. You certainly deserve it :)

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 5:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Congrats on the silver in the blog olympics,audition results are now posted at my place too :)

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 6:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for playing in the Blog Olympics Training Camp, Congratulations on your silver medal! You were very close to winning gold! I've posted the overall standings.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006 at 8:16:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I was here yesterday, dear Naomi, and blogger wouldn't give a word verification and therefore I couldn't leave a comment...bummer! I love the picture! wish I could say something interesting but I am just amazed...! :)

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 1:26:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

oh, and congrats on your medals and buttons!!!!!!

Thursday, May 4, 2006 at 1:27:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.