Monday, April 10, 2006


COLUMNS!

I've been reading a trade paper called The Hollywood Reporter for more years than I probably should have been reading it...but, I enjoy it very much. Even though much of what is in this daily, (five days a week, that is) is 'hype' as manufactured by publicists...there is so much more than that within the pages of this always informative and pretty-to-look-at, paper. And the fact that it is not like any other paper...except for Daily Variety, which I gave up about 8 months ago after a very very long love affair and then a 'falling out of love' finally...Both these papers use to be the same odd size...8 1/2 x 11...then Daily Variety made itself quite a bit bigger...not quite double that size...(easier to be torn by whatever tears mail...) But, as I said, I ended my 'affair' with Daily Variety...really really hard to do, considering I had begun reading it in my late teens..and as you all know, I'm 108 now! And because both these papers are quite expensive if you maintain a subscription, which I did and do. (They arrive in the mail each day...Well, depending on the Postal System and a few other factors...) I had to give up one of them, anyway.

I wasn't ready to give up both papers and for sentimental reasons as well as good sound informational reasons, I have stayed with The Hollywood Reporter, to be known as THR from here on.
My sentimental reason(s) really stems from the fact that THR is the paper where I found my house, 87 years ago. (Every Friday, in both these rags, they feature real estate....a wonderful thing that certainly has served me well...). Then, there are a couple of other reasons I didn't want to give up THR...Like, Robert Osborne of Turner Classic Movies write a column every week...always a great read... and then, a few years ago, maybe 5, I began reading a column every Tuesday by a truly inspired and incredibly talented writer named Ray Richmond.


He calls his column, "The Pulse". And he writes about everything and anything that is currently going on in the world of the 'business' of 'show'. And I found him to be very incisive; extremely smart; wonderfully sensitive, very very funny, and one of the best writers around, anywhere. It is quite amazing to me that given a prescribed amount of space, Ray Richmond always gets all of his points across and covers the subject he is writing about in a complete and very very satisfying fashion. I have laughed out loud many many times at his column. Been brought to tears by him, too, and personally find it a very satisfying experience to read him each and every Tuesday. I look forward to the paper on Tuesday's mostly because of Ray.

I wrote him an email at one point because I was so deeply impressed with his writing. He answered me and thus began an email friendship of sorts that even led to a lunch at our neighborhood show biz hangout, Musso & Frank. (The oldest restaurant in Hollywood...and a great meeting place for many....)
I so much enjoyed meeting Ray and having the chance to talk with him and hear a more about him. It made me admire him even more than I already did!...


I am in a word....A FAN. A big big fan!

Some months ago, Ray wrote his last column for THR, (or so it seemed)...He said he was moving on to other things....I was stricken. I wrote him an email telling him I was happy for him if the pastures were greener, but I was terribly terribly sad for me and for all those who have come to rely on and respect his writing. (He also did special projects for THR and wrote Television reviews for them, as well...) He responded to my email and essentially said he was up for a new challenge....I understood that and again, wished him well. But, I missed him terribly. There really was a withdrawal period, especially on Tuesdays...

Then about the middle of February I received an email from him telling me and many others that he had 'seen the light' and the greener pastures turned out to be nothing like he thought they would be and that he was returning to THR as of...I think it was March 1st...HOORAY RAY! Hooray for all of us! I was sooooo happy, I cannot tell you. I hate change and was still trying to adjust to not being able to read this talented man's writing...when, lo & behold, I didn't have to try and get over my separation anxiety. It was completely removed for me by the wonderful Ray Richmond coming back and once again, writing his Tuesday column and the TV Reviews and all the special projects that he does for THR, too.

And now, as of this past week, Ray has begun his own blog, called Past Deadline. It is more of a gossipy thing at this moment, and maybe it will stay that way, and maybe not...but I am eating up this extra dose of Ray....Yum! (I put him on my blogroll thingy today--Ray Richmond--under the R's...) What's great too, is that you can get to his THR columns from this blog...and there may be more stuff you can get to, too. I haven't explored all the possibilities yet, and I know Ray hasn't explored them either...after all his blog is brand new--only one week old! I wish him well in this extended endeavor...more of a good thing for all of us, I say...

Anyway, if you get a chance give it a look see....it's really fun!

And he has an interesting take on Tom Cruise today.







17 Comments:
had this to say:

Oh, I love it! I love reading Hollywood trade magazines, although i have never been connected to that life. I just think you get such a different perspective and information. I checked out his blog and I'll be a regular reader. Thanks!

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 12:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the link to Ray's blog. It looks good.

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 2:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Michele sent me today. I'm off to check out another blog, thanks to you.

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 3:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great post! Why we're all so fascinated with Hollywood I'll never know, but we are and it's nice to get an inside view from you! :) I'll be checking out that blog right now!

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 4:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I know what you mean about those big magazines/papers getting all beat up in the mail. Sounds like you made the best choice to stay with THR.

Thanks for the link. I'll check it out!

Glad you are feeling better!

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 7:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A gossip blog? I LOVE juicy gossip! He sounds like a wonderful guy & obviously a great writer, I look forward to checking him out.

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 7:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, thanks for the tip. I read all the way down the page and it is interesting. I will check it often.

You muist be feeling better - and we are happy about that!

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 9:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'll pop on over for a visit.
How neat that you have him back!
Some habits are very good; and it seems that Ray is in that good category.

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 9:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I will definitely check out his blog. sadly the magazine is not available in our country. Thanks for recommending them :)

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 at 2:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

great post, Naomi! Isnt it wonderful to find writers that we love so much? I checked him out and have booked marked him as well. Have a wonderful day!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 at 4:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, thanks for the link to Ray Richmond's blog. I'm going to explore it.

About the ad in blue color, on Real Estate Sales, is that beautiful house Mediterranean Masterpiece your house?

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 at 7:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It is with great pleasure that Her Majesty invites you to the first Royal Blog Party at Craziequeen’s Palace on Thursday 13 April, commencing at 10pm BST (British Summer Time).

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 at 12:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well you KNOW I will be adding that one to my blogroll too lol.
Good choice to stay with THR :)
The commercial we filmed yesterday isn't even going to air HERE it is for the North American market.
Will be blogging about it as soon as I can get my pictures sorted out :)

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 at 3:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I see your up and about now. Have not paid visit as my server has been down for a week now. I go to a computer shop which charges per hour just so I could post.
Isn't it funny sometimes when you buy a newspaper just because you love to read a favorite column of one of your favorite coloumnist or journalist in the newspaper or journal and don't mind the rest of the articles written there.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 at 7:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for sharing a great link with us.

I've been a little behind lately, but I'm glad I stopped by today, and read another of your great posts.

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 at 8:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Being in the magazine game, I really loved reading this post. I must say, however, that my blog exists as a way for me to write (and publish) things other than what I write about at work. It's great that people are still in love with the words on paper.
Rick

Friday, April 14, 2006 at 2:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the Hollywood Reporter. I grew up on it. We weren't a Variety family! :-)

I can't wait to explore Ray's blog. Thanks for the link. Here today DESPITE Michele. :-0

Friday, April 14, 2006 at 5:37:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.