Saturday, April 08, 2006


SPRING!

I was thinking about what would cheer me up today as I continue to recover from my illness...and I thought...Spring. Flowers and trees and growth. So, here are a few Spring like things from my Cactus Garden... This flower is a One day, Once A Year person. You miss it? You'll have to wait a whole year to see it again...Lovely, beyond words, it is. The petals are as soft as they look. And do the bees ever love this flower. Yum!


This plant/tree, in close-up, sort of, is a Euphorbia Continafolia...otherwise known as 'The Red Tree' by me...this photo was actually taken late in the fall, and often, earlier in the blooming of the leaves they almost have a purple cast to the red...a very hard color to describe.....but here they are looking more towards the red. (You can't really tell how beautiful this tree/plant is from this photo, but as they come into their own maybe by May, I'll take some new photo's.) I have given away many many cuttings of this plant so little and not so little baby's of the many Red Tree's of mine are all over Los Angeles. That, I must tell you, is quite thrilling...


I've posted this flower once before a long time ago. But I think this photo is pretty extrordinary because I caught this drop of necter just slowly dripping out of the flower with a little ant drinking the necter to it's hearts content.


I cannot remember the name of the plant that this flower is on...I could look it up, and I will, when I am feeling better....meanwhile, here is the flower with the necter and the sweet little ant person. And here is the same flower, Head On...
it is truly a magical looking little person. It's only about one inch in diameter and yet it is so incredibly beautiful....The colors are quite striking, too, don't you think? The 'pink' is soooo pink, and the yellows...my my my...Gorgeous, again...beyond words. You can see from the photo above this one that there is kind of a sleeve-like thing that holds the flower. As it is growing that's all you see is the sleeve...like the flowers on George...if you remember them...(George: Buttons then nipples, now little bulb-like things...they have 'sleeves', too). In fact, the flowers on many many of these Cactus and Cactus type plants, have sleeves...I know that's not the correct name but it will do for now, I hope.

And speaking of George...here are the latest photo's of the growing flowers. Sleeves here too. Fuzzy sleeves, but sleeves, neverthless. Remember where we started with George? I'll remind you... Buttons...Little sweet buttons. Some a little bigger than others...and now, here's another shot (sideways, for better viewing) of the latest and greatest on The George Flowers... You've come a long way baby! And more growth will continue to happen each and every day...

More later....


**UPDATE**- Sunday, April 9th.

Our Blog-sister Chatty and her husband, helped their dear dog Fenway, to cross "The Rainbow Bridge" today....do stop by if you have a chance....we all know how painful and heartbreaking it is to lose our very dear four legged loved ones....Fenway put up a valient fight...God Bless You Fenway...and your sweet family, too**










31 Comments:
had this to say:

Good to see you back and feeling better. George is coming along nicely! The flowers are so pretty.

I always thought it was like spring out there all year round?

Lovely pictures as usual Naomi!! Give Sweetie a kiss for me!

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 3:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love the ant drinking photo!

I'm glad you're feeling better!

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 4:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Have you ever thought of publishing a book of your flora photos? They're tack-sharp and oh so cool. I'd love one on a wall.

We must speak: you're good.

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 8:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love to see you back with great happiness! All these photos are beautiful! I like so much the "drop of necter dripping out of the flower with a little ant"!You are a talented photographer, Naomi. Wishing to you a lovely Sunday!

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 8:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely flowers. Sorry to hear you've not been feeling well but glad you're on the mend.

Here today via Michele. I too have been slacking on blog visits/postings. Ack! Glad she got me back in the swing of things with a visit here.

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 8:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I am glad to see that you are feeling well enough to take photos and give us a post. The flowers and buttons are lovely, as usual, and always appreciated, as are your latest comments on my smoking post. I hope we both feel better soon.

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 8:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm glad to hear that you are recovering. It seems like this year has been particularly nasty as far as the colds and flu that are going around. The pictures, as always, are incredible. Especially the one with the ant drinking the nectar.

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 8:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

excellent pictures Naomi. I sure hope you are feeling better!

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 8:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi came here via Michele's and I'm glad I did !

What great photos! Spring hasn't quite sprung here, but I hear it should be here next week...still in the 20's at night. Too cold for our flowers to bloom!

Sorry to hear you weren't feeling well....hope you feel better soon!

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 9:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm always so amazed when I see the details of flowers. They're so perfectly made & the colors, the contrasts, such simple things, yet so damn complex.
LOL did you see Chicke's face on her comments on your blog? It's making me laugh.
I hope you're up to 100% yourself very, very soon.
Oh, you asked what kinda chocolate i like, FUDGE. Thick, gooey, sinful FUDGE.

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 10:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It's good to hear from you again. It's nice to know you're better too. You do have very lovely and beautiful flowers. Do you grow them in your garden? Wow!

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 10:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful pictures. Spring is my favorite time of year!

Michele sent me.

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 10:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Glad you are back posting! We have some with the same flowers as the first picture and they are so beautiful!

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 11:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

*blissful sigh*

I enjoyed those. Thank you for sharing. :)

Saturday, April 8, 2006 at 11:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Beautiful photographs. Seeing that flower bloom is so rewarding. :)

Michele sent me! Hello!

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 2:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Sorry to hear that you got sick. Hope you'll feel better tomorrow.

Lovely flowers again. Take Care & God Bless.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 3:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

SO glad you're feeling better....

Spring is definitely springing isn't it... There's definitely a spring in my step & I can't wait until the summer dresses come out... [chuckle]

Thanks (as always) for the continual inspiration to get out in my garden & do things...

Cool picture of the ant..

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 7:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hope you're feeling better. Your pictures certainly added a little cheer to my life. It's chilly here today. Yesterday it was sunny and 80, and today it's windy and in the 40s. What a difference.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 8:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh they look lovely!!!!!!!! I'm getting ready to go take pictures of my garden..Nothing grand there yet but i'm excited none the less..

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 11:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The pictures made me feel better! Hope you are too. Michele sent me.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 11:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, your pictures always make me feel better. Hope you are on the mend. You are in my prayers. Michele sent me today. Thanks for the heads up on Chatty.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 11:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Really amazing photos!
Thankyou so much for sharing.

Here via Michele

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 11:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have some really beautiful flowers.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 1:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely flowers. :-)

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 2:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So glad you are feeling better! Love that picture of the pink bloom!! So pretty!! And to only be able to enjoy it one day...wow...that's amazing!

Glad to have you back!

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 4:39:00 PM PDT 

Blogger rob
had this to say:

Lovely.

My mother has a Hoya plant that drips the sweetest nectar I've ever tasted. I used to know it was spring when the plant would start sweating its little beads of tastiness.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 4:49:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Glad you are feeling some better. I think the cold on top of pine pollen allergy has hit. My usual blowing and snuffing from sinus has escalated. Hopefully it won't get too bad this time. Here the pine trees poofed their pollen this week, Thursday to be exact. Now the cars and fences and any surface you can imagine is covered with the yellow stuff. In a few days the little brown wormy things will float everywhere.

The wisteria are now in full bloom as are the dogwood. We have neither plant here so I must, must, must make a trip to the botanical gardens this week or perhaps Williamsburg.

The picture of the little ant is great. You don't see him telling anyone else about this find do you. ;)

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 5:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hey, I bought 3 big pots of pansies today, and seeds to add to my perennial garden (morning glory and cosmos). I'm so excited to FINALLY get gardening. You've been keeping me psyched all winter.

Thanks for telling me about Chatty's Fenway. Named after the greatest ballpark in the world!

Here via you know who.

Sunday, April 9, 2006 at 7:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You really have some nice flowers in your garden...

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 5:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

the rainbow bridge is such an excellent allegory. (is that the right way to say that?) i have lost beloved pets and when i read the first time aboput the rainbow bridge, i was comforted.

i hope you continue to get well at an excellent pace.

my husband and I were actually discussing you just yesterday. we are thinking on heading for SoCal for vacation... take Indy to disneyland and do all that bit...

Monday, April 10, 2006 at 9:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi! Michele sent me! I'm back. And it's great 'cause I get to see these gorgeous flowers again!

Tuesday, April 11, 2006 at 3:09:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.