Sunday, March 12, 2006


S.T.A.G.E.
(continued)


When we are lucky enough, each year we try to get what we call a "Musical Quote"...similar to the one in the photograph...(this was actually a Birthday Gift to me from Betty G. when she was in "FOLLIES" back in 2001, cause she knows how much I LOVE LOVE LOVE, Stephen Sondheim. I love that he not only wrote out the music and the lyrics, but also said. 'from Steve (Sondhein, that is)' like we are good friends, or like I wouldn't know it was Sondheim....this genius of our time....this is a true treasure to me....).The song is from "Follies" and it is, 'Loosing My Mind'...

So, this year we have three of these kinds of original 'Musical Quotes from Jerry Herman...composer & lyricist of "Hello, Dolly", "Mame" and "La Cage Au Folles" to name just a few.....And, we also have a Musical Quote from Harvey Shmidt, one of the composers of "The Fantastics", and it is a gorgeous piece, framed beautifully too, by Los Angeles Preniere Framer, Jerry Solomon...all this, BTW is donated including the framing...to be sold in the live auction...and this particular one which is that beautiful beautiful song, "Try To Remember" is something I would LOVE to own...so, they are going to call me from the show at the end of intermission when they do the 'live' auction inside the theatre itself, so I can bid over the phone.....exciting....of course, whoever gets it will be incredibly lucky, and all the money goes to the charity, of course...

I would have scanned it into my computer but it was too big what with the frame and all to go on my scanner....but, IF I'm lucky enough to get it, I'll take a photograph of it so you can see it....these are treasures, to me and if you are a collector of things, which I am, especially Theatre Memorabelia...these, like the Sondheim, these are things that one must have!!! I hope I can afford to get it!!! (We'll see....)...They should be calling me somewhere btween 4:30 and 5pm....

I'll update you later this afternoon...



**Update: I din't get it! Drat! It went to high for me...but THAT'S good for The Charity...I have never been able to get one of these things during the Auctions over these last 10 years we've been doing the "Live" Auctions...so, I'm even more grateful to Betty and Sondheim for the one that I have...and that it actually says 'To Naomi'...that makes it even sweeter...!

Mark Cherry, of Desperate Housewives, came to the Event this year and donated three signed scripts of The Pilot Episode, plus a Visit To The Set, and Lunch with Denton...(Fabulous.....) Todays Visit and Lunch went for $800. Someone got a real bargain...We also had Two Tix to "The American Idol Final" that went for $1000. (another bargain....) and the piece I wanted went for $1,500. So...this is all to the good...that's why we do this event; To Raise Money.

More Later....** (5:22pm, Sunday)







13 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Old old lady of the hills....

It is so nice to receive something like that, that means so much to you....

I am going to have a look around.

michele sent me

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 3:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Good luck on the bidding!!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 3:47:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Neat, neat stuff in that auction. Sorry you didn't get the piece you wanted, but at least the Charity made out.

You get to do so many interesting things, and I love hearing about all of them - both then, and now.

michele sent me today, but I love visiting here no matter what.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 5:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am sorry you didn't win but as you said it is good for the charity that it went high.
800 dollars IS a real bargain I would have loved to have won that auction. I wonder if Marc Cherry would let me visit anyway LOL

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 5:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Sorry you didn't win the bid but "yay!" for the charity. Better luck next year :)

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 7:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That is just the coolest thing ever! I love Sondheim too. I love musicals in general. And that is a wonderful song. Thank you for sharing that!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 8:28:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Sorry you didn't win Naomi....but you do have quite a prize in the Sondheim piece! Love that!

Someone is big American Idol fans!! That would be fun to attend the finale! Sounds like the shows went very well! Looking forward to an very informative post! ;)

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 8:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oooh, I would love to have lunch with Denton. He used to live in Raleigh......who knew??

I know you will treasure your Sondheim music....sorry you didn't get the other one.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 9:00:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Sounds like an everybody wins situation! Can't believe how much the AI tix went for Whew!

Monday, March 13, 2006 at 2:12:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow, how lovely to receive this gift signed by Stephen Sondheim!
Your life is so interesting, Naomi, full of lovely events and lovely friends!

I agree with others, I am sorry you didn't win the piece you wanted, but you have the Sondheim piece! Great!

Monday, March 13, 2006 at 7:29:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Sorry you didn't get it but the charity action seems to have done very good. Wow, and the one you have is specially dedicated! can't read music at all, but I am sure it is a pretty piece.

Monday, March 13, 2006 at 8:03:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

The Sondheim note is incredible. He is a genius of our time. Good for you!

Vanx (Verb-ops, that is)

Thursday, March 16, 2006 at 9:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your description is rich enough that we don't need a picture. You painted it with words.

Saturday, March 18, 2006 at 3:37:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.