Wednesday, March 08, 2006

PAINTED CLOUDS....

These clouds look absolutely fake, don't they? Like someone painted a backdrop and hung it out there behind the buildings and the rest of the city filling up the horizon with these perfectly formed beings....
This is a close-up of almost the same view but with more of the city showing...These clouds still look painted...This is the kind of day that makes people want to move to Los Angeles...These pictures were taken from my Deck...and that is Downtown Los Angeles....Hard to believe that we have all these big buildings now...for years, and years and years because of earthquakes, they didn't build anything over twelve stories...! This was the closest close-up and these clouds still look absolutely fake, fake, fake....! But they aren't. They are the real thing. And even though I know this and I saw them in the sky that day with my own two eyes...I cannot get over the fact that they look painted....nature, wow....there is nothing like it.

Here is a very interesting little 'baby' person that is growing on a plant on my patio. This plant is in a pot and eventually we will put it in the ground. Probably in early May...
The arm in the foreground is another plant entirely. The little 'baby' is on a strange but interestingly shaped plant...(the name of which I cannot conjure up at this moment) it's rather triangular in shape though the sides are slightly curved....it gets pretty big and they arms become rather top heavy and so it grows all over the place..It has amazingly large flowers which are quite beautiful....(no flowers at this time of year...they will come later)...But isn't that baby just about the cutest little critter you ever saw? This is an Aloe....(not Aloe Vera, though...). There are many kinds of Aloe's and this one is flowering right now, but the flowers haven't opened all the way yet. I was looking down from my deck onto my garden that is underneath my house and I saw this and thought it looked quite beautiful from above like this, so here it is....and then, in this photograph just below we have this beauty, again. And while I was out on the deck, I noticed that succulant that was flowering and which I posted about a few days ago is still flowering....these little flowers are so perfect, aren't they? And they are only about a half an inch to three-quarters of an inch long....I think they are so damn beautiful! Here's another angle, down below...these blossoms are not quite as open yet, but there are more of them on this little sprig than there are in the previous picture...so incredibly beautiful....


This is a gorgeous rather small succulant that has these little fleshy arms. And here is what is amazing about this plant, besides it's color and the shape of the arms and the symmetry, which would be more than enough to make it 'special', there is another fantastic thing about this plant and it's sisters and brothers, and it is this: If one of the arms should break off for some reason like an animal knocks into it, you just lay it down on some dirt, either in a pot or just any part of your garden that you would like it to grow, and it will root right there and begin a whole new plant just from that one little arm sitting on top of the dirt. Talk about regeneration....Nature....AMAZING, AMAZING!!!!

More to come.....





**UPDATE: Just a note to say that I probably won't be able to put up a new post for a day or three..(lol)..because of S.T.A.G.E. cause even though I cannot be there, I have much to do for it, anyway....we are ALMOST THERE!!!! Hooray!**





























32 Comments:
had this to say:

Hi Naomi, what a pleasure wake up in the morning and see many beautiful photos and reading such a well written text!
These clouds look absolutely fantastic and the view from your deck is breathtakingly beautiful.
It's wonderful that you live in just so close to nature, with your gorgeous garden and trees around you, and so close the big city, the marvelous Los Angeles.

I also have in my garden this small sucullant with little fleshy
arms. And the pebbles around it are so beautiful! I will send to you by e-mail a beautiful photo from a patio in Greece, with those white and black pebble that they call" krokalia" and that are used in patterns both inside and outside the house, so traditional on Rhodes.

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 5:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Nature is amazing! I have never seen an aloe plant in bloom before. I didn't even know they bloomed! Very interesting post Naomi with great pictures. You certainly have a great view of the big city!

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 8:01:00 AM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Love that last photo and the one with the yellow flowers. The clouds do look a bit "painted" and I'm sure my daughter would have something to say about what kind they are and all. I just feel like Charlie Brown when he said of the clouds, "I was going to say that that one looked like a ducky and the other one over there looks like a lamb, but I think I'll just keep my mouth shut now."

Have a good day to go along with your weather. :)

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 10:05:00 AM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Love that last photo and the one with the yellow flowers. The clouds do look a bit "painted" and I'm sure my daughter would have something to say about what kind they are and all. I just feel like Charlie Brown when he said of the clouds, "I was going to say that that one looked like a ducky and the other one over there looks like a lamb, but I think I'll just keep my mouth shut now."

Have a good day to go along with your weather. :)

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 10:07:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Lovely pics! I specially like the "baby" growing on that plant! I have a couple of those succulant plants in my garden, too. I shall think of you when I go by the them now :D

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 10:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love looking at the clouds when they are big and fluffy like that! When I was a kid I could spend hours laying in the grass looking up at them imagining all the shapes they were making! Beautiful pictures! And I have never seen an Aloe plant bloom before...very pretty!

Always a pleasure my friend!

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 11:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I agree with sonia; it is a pleasure to see your photos and read your words. The clouds are gorgoeus, Naomi, and I would have stood on the deck all day looking at them. Love the cacti too, especially the last one.

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 12:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

One of the things I love about succulents is their lovely flowers. :)

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 12:31:00 PM PST 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

You have such an amazing eye for the world around you.

Big and small.

The world's an interesting place, no?

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 12:31:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Are you sure those clouds were not commissioned by MGM ? lol
Just swinging by to say Good morning, good morning you've slept the whole night through, good morning good morning to you !!

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 1:51:00 PM PST 

Blogger Gel
had this to say:

Hi Naomi,
I adore the wonders of the internet. To return to blogland after a hiatus of a few weeks and see and read your personal view from where you live, is enchanting. I've been to LA, up in the mountains. When the pollution allowed for a clear view, it was amazing!

Nature is my favorite subject to paint and photograph.I specialize in skyscapes(particularly sunsets), trees (especially ones with character) and flowers.

Clouds have fascinated me since I was a child. So many of us would use our imagination to change the clouds into something else.

I love blues and purples and stones make me swoon. (If I could have a house made of stone..oh wow!) I think that is why I use stones in the jewelry I make. ) Back on topic, the stones in the background of the "regenerating plant" are as lovely as that plant!

You have awesome gardens!
Thank you for the visual feast and the smiles. I look forward to more. I soak in your commentary like a lilac sponge. :)

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 3:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love to watch the clouds float by. Those are particularly amazing...looks like you could have planted them right into your photo. Your view is incredible.

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 5:52:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love that little baby plant, so cute. That last one, the one with the meaty arms, does it bloom bright pink flowers on a tall stalk (or am I getting my succulents mixed up)?

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 6:17:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Michele has sent me back tonight, Naomi, and I think (after seeing your photos again) that you should submit them to a postcard company. They could be best-sellers for souveniers of LA!

Wednesday, March 8, 2006 at 9:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a beautiful view you have. Those clouds remind me of the ones I used to dream of floating upon as a young girl.

Here from Michele

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 12:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, thanks for the nice comments about the flowers. I added the link to the ice carver, in case you want to see more of his work. You can also see that centerpiece from another angle.

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 5:16:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely post as always, with great photos. Never a truer word spoken than 'the best things in life really are free!'

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 6:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Namoi

What a wonderful blog you have. I have enjoyed persuing your posts and have discovered a new blog I will have to visit again and again.
You have a fantastic view from your deck and I can see why Sweetie loves it so.

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 9:09:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Dropping by to see those great pics again. And to let you know that I am looking great :D, see it for yourself!!

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 9:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Is one of those buildings in l.a. the bonaventure? I remember when it was 1 of the tallest buildings downtown. When my kids were little, we'd ride the elevator at the Bonaventure (never could afford to stay there lol) but right when the elevator was going to stop, we'd JUMP and it would make your stomache drop. It was funny & FREE!

beautiful pictures!

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 5:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The baby plant is a cutie.
The sky pics remind me of The Simpsons sky.
Blue with white, fluffy clouds.
-------------------
My voice is slowly healing. I'm able to talk, but not very loudly yet. At least, it is not only a whisper now. I will see the doc on April 11th. I will make sure I give an update on how things are going.

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 6:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Fantastic photographs. Los Angeles is truly a fascinating city, visually, to a New Yorker.
Love the clouds. There are people that once charted the clouds Van Gogh painted and tried, using his letters, to gauge his "psychosis" by the kinds of clouds he painted. I don't know. I just think he looked up and noticed the beautiful clouds of southern France. That cat dug nature.
Rick

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 8:03:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful pictures! I love the amazing things that nature produces. The clouds, the plants, the animals... even some of us! What a great view of the skyline. It has a certain beauty all its own, even in all its artificiality (is that a word?). Great pics, keep 'em coming!

~Mike

Thursday, March 9, 2006 at 10:01:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh I'm going to BORE you with this but, I just love, love, love your blog!

You have the best eye and I adore being able to see your world as you see it.

You have a real gift!

Friday, March 10, 2006 at 6:26:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

those cloud photos are fantatic. Very surreal and soothing.

Michele sent me over to visit today, but I tend to stop by on my own anyway.

Friday, March 10, 2006 at 11:31:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hello, Michele sent me. Lovely pictures. I'm glad you were he link above me.

Friday, March 10, 2006 at 12:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Those are east coast clouds. Or european clouds. We see them all the time here in Boston, fluffy clouds with sort of flat bottoms that sit in the sky like cotton balls. If you look at Flemish paintings, you'll see winter clouds like this a lot. They're just lovely. This time of year in LA is so nice, the sky is clear and blue and all the smog is blown away by the rains. Things are green and blooming. Ah spring. Hasn't hit here yet.

Here from you know who.

Friday, March 10, 2006 at 12:08:00 PM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Here from Michele this time. Good luck with the production. I know it will be a big success. Break a leg.

Friday, March 10, 2006 at 2:37:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I really envy your plant collection. How I wish I can grow them in my garden. Do they need a lot of caring? Because if they do, then I will never be able to have them.

God Bless you & your event. Take Care.

Friday, March 10, 2006 at 4:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

our clouds here today looked like the ones you have there --

Friday, March 10, 2006 at 5:02:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have a friend in LA and when she saw clouds like those in an area like mine, she called them The Simpsons Clouds. Like she had never seen them before. Was she lying to me? ;)

Beautiful pictures! Especially anything flowering...since it is all snow covered here.

Michele sent me!

Friday, March 10, 2006 at 5:36:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I have a friend in LA and when she saw clouds like those in an area like mine, she called them The Simpsons Clouds. Like she had never seen them before. Was she lying to me? ;)

Beautiful pictures! Especially anything flowering...since it is all snow covered here.

Michele sent me!

Friday, March 10, 2006 at 5:41:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.