Saturday, March 04, 2006

BUTTON GROWTH....and other signs of Spring...

Here is a photograph of the continued growth of 'The Buttons' on "George" that are no longer looking like buttons. Now they look more like Nipples...but that will change too, as further growth takes place any minute now....I left this photo on it's side because truthfully you can see the growth better than if the photo was upright...(which is what it should be, of course)...I love that the fuzzy look is becoming more obvious now, especially in this position...The wonders of nature continue...more will be revealed as time moves on.....


These are the flowers on a Euphorbia Lambii, when they are completely open, as they are right now. They look like little bells to me...beautiful perfect little bells--almost like some flower you might see in an English Garden...I love that we can see the rain residue, too...There was a 'surprise' rain night before last and into early A.M. (Thursday...) I say 'surprise' because they have been predicting rain for possibly Sunday night-Monday! It's okay with me because we do need it, but I'll never understand how with all the modern scientific ways they supposedly have to predict the weather now...The Farmer's Almanac is still more accurate than any Doppler whatever....lol


This is a Euphorbia Medusa....and if you are familiar with the Medusa story, you can see why....Hair all over the place...What's interesting to me about all the plants in my garden is---there is always something that is blooming all year long. And all the plants have their blooming time which is different from one another. All the Euphorbia's have been blooming all through the so called winter months, but then go dormant during the summer months and the Euphorbia's also have their growth period during the winter months, too...So, their are always some pretty little or BIG flowers to look at during the year....I already posted that magical night blooming Webercereus Johnsonii---that was the arm that bloomed as it sat on my patio---if you can recall that far back....

Take note of this amazing plant in the photo above...a 'Night Blooming" Cereus....right now, there is no evidence of the remotest kind yet that there will even be flowers on this plant...each arm will have any number of night blooming flowers, which by the way are huge!!! In fact, I would have to say they are unbelievable in their magicalness! Right now, it looks like pretty much---well---like nothing! But believe me, when it flowers, for that one night a year....you won't believe how extrordinarily beautiful each flower is, and how very big each flower is when you consider that each of these arms is about as big and round as a rather thick pencil....I will post this photo again to show the transformation....but that won't be for some weeks yet....we have to begin to see some teeny tiny fuzz balls to know that there will be flowers coming...and we don't see any of those, as yet.... Another Euphorbia person....None of these plants looks like they could or should be related---that they actually are in the same family is quite amazing, but true...What unites them is the sticky white liquid that is their 'blood', if you will...and I believe I mentioned this previously...like The Pointsettia Plant is a Euphorbia....These little red leaves on this plant is another sign that something is always visably growing here in my garden...and again, the Euphorbia's are having their growth period, right now... So the photo above is a Succulant with some flowers....Blooming in January-February.... And here is a slightly closer look at this tiny little delicate beautiful flower...I tell you, the beauty of nature cannot be beat...each of these flowers is not even an inch long, and look at the intricate shape and color variations....This Is The Best, isn't it.....?

More to come as more things bloom....







34 Comments:
had this to say:

Hello Naomi, here to say hello form Michele but as always blown away by your beautiful photographs!

It's freezing cold here today and the bulbs / plants in my garden are still saying "grow? no way!"

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 3:44:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Really interesting photos...this is probably my topic I'm not qualified to comment on lol...thanks for stopping by my place ;)

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 3:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely pictures as always.... At this rate you're going to inspire me to fill my house with cacti.. [grin]

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 3:55:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh how gorgeous each of those pictures is! Thank you for sharing your beautiful garden. I particularly like the succulent you took the picture of. Isn't hat like the "Hen and Chicks?" Ah, I cannot wait to have my own garden!!!Michele sent me. :)

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 4:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!
What a gorgeous photos!
Your garden looks so wonderful!

And thank you so much for your visiting on my place and lovely comment!

Have a nice and happy weekend!

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 5:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I didn't know plants were so interesting til I started reading you! Great pictures as always :)

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 5:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Nice garden! I love the desert vegetation and feel like I'm in exile here in the Great Lakes region of the country. Hopefully I'll have a post soon about my trip yesterday to a butterfly exhibit (but I didn't take a camera).

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 6:08:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Those are beautiful. Love of beauty and of all lovely and wonderful things is indispensable for our growth. It brings reverence and a sense of transcendance into personal love and indeed into all life.

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 6:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow! another set of beautiful blooms. I like the Euphorbia Lambii. Does it also belong to the cacti family?

You must have a green thumb to have all these beautiful plants in your garden.

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 6:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I love cactus - especially the night bloomers. It always amazes me how something so mean looking can produce something so beautiful - even the chollas have pretty flowers on them.

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 7:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely pictures of course! Always so interesting to see your plants.
I had a cereus but I let it die this past winter. It's so amazing how it blooms at night like that and then the flower dies. I had to bring it inside during the winter and it grew all these long thin branches and it took up so much room. My sun room looks like a jungle anyway, so I let it die out this year and didn't bring it inside. I'll be looking forward to more pictures!

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 8:00:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

very good shots - i like your garden. mine is still froZEN - check it out
when you have a chance

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 1:30:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Love the photos, Naomi! That euphorbia with the little green bells is beautiful! I love to use the bells of Ireland in floral arrangements, but those of yours are much different. I wish they could be used in cut-flowers also.

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 1:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I learn more about succulants from you than I could from any book. You are amazing, Naomi!

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 2:09:00 PM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Here from Michele.
Your pictures of the succulents are so great. I took one the other day, ok so it WAS in Walmart, as they don't grow naturally around here. It was fuzzy and only a portion of it was in focus. These are lovely.

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 2:12:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Spectacular photos. I can't belive how long it's been since I've been by! I'm here from Michele's this time.

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 3:50:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

How very right you are: it is indeed the best. You don't just take pictures. Rather, you tell stories, you draw us in, and you make us look forward to more.

I always thought pictures were static entities. But your ongoing photo montages beg to differ. May you always tell us stories in this way.

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 4:10:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I'm back to see the bells and Medusas again....LOL. Michele sent me.

Remind me to tell you how I made "blooming cactus" one time for a party.

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 8:30:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful plants as usual! You have an awesome garden!! Love coming here and seeing what you have to share with us! Just love you!!

Here via Michele's tonight!

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 8:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Funny you should give science a pop in this post full of lovely photos and observations. Funny to me, anyway: I was a botany major my freshman year in college. It was tremendous. The school I went to, Drew University, is on the last original oak forest in the state of New Jersey. We just went out into the woods and observed and sketched. We’d go camping in the Pine Barrens in the southern part of the state on the weekends—and observe and sketch. My sophomore year we did less of this, however. They hit us with organic chemistry. I could see the way things were headed and I switched my major to English. I decided that molecular observation was exactly the wrong way to regard nature~wrong for me at any rate. I swore I’d be a writer. Well, I’m a journalist. What do I cover: The Chemical industry. Proof that you can generally run, but you can never hide.~,:^)

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 8:53:00 PM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Beautiful pictures, I have to go out and see my dormant plants!

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 10:24:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

These photos are GORGEOUS! You have an amazing ability to tell the stories behind the plants too...I want to see that night bloom when it does flower. I love plants and flowers, but have a black thumb when it comes to them. Thank goodness for my hubby who managed to keep my Christmas Cactus alive and growing AND blooming for 5 years. I had to give it away when I moved to Germany...and I miss it so!

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 11:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

These photos are GORGEOUS! You have an amazing ability to tell the stories behind the plants too...I want to see that night bloom when it does flower. I love plants and flowers, but have a black thumb when it comes to them. Thank goodness for my hubby who managed to keep my Christmas Cactus alive and growing AND blooming for 5 years. I had to give it away when I moved to Germany...and I miss it so!


Here from Michele's by the way!

Saturday, March 4, 2006 at 11:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Autumn here and already it is cooling down,great photographs as always.

To answer your question I would rather just go straight to the Governors Ball and then onto Eltons bash.
I am all about the goodie BAGS LOL

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 12:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi OOLOTH here from Micheles today. It was second from the left front row, don't tell anyone :-)

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 3:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

We're still snow covered, so no bloomage yet. Blooms show life and rebirth and we sure could use that around here.

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 5:35:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

hi naomi! your garden is truly fascinating! even more so now that flowers are starting to bloom. i've a feeling they are just reciprocating all the care and love you give them. :)

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 10:21:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I was going to say I LOVE the 2nd picture. But then as I looked at more, I lost track of all the pictures that were my favorites! I just hope we get a lot more rain, we definately need it.

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 11:37:00 AM PST 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Beautiful photos. I'm okay with some hardy indoor plants, but with my fair skin, I avoid gardening and yardwork. As a result, I know nothing about plants. I love the outdoors, but only when I'm in the mountains or hiking in woods, anywhere where I can duck and cover from the sun. I burn ridiculously easy even with sun screen and even in the shade. It's so weird. So thanks for sharing your garden!

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 2:06:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love your beautiful garden. I have a semi-green thumb, but never enough time to create something so special.

Thank you for sharing. I'm glad I found you via Michele's.

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 3:27:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oooh! I've never seen the Medusa before. How cool...!

Here via Michele's today :)

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 3:30:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Those are so neat! Lovely! The only thing I have budding are weeds.. :( well the azelea bushes have been b udding off and on but they aren't mine..

Sunday, March 5, 2006 at 10:17:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Gorgeous things you've got growing...amazing to see how different your side of the country is.

I'm getting so excited about the arrival of Spring. Little green leaves are starting to peek out of the ground, and I know it won't be long until I can start sharing pitures of my own flowers.

Monday, March 6, 2006 at 5:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I feel like I've been away forever....wonderful plants, Naomi :-)

You were right, George's Buttons are looking fabulous!

cq

Tuesday, March 7, 2006 at 2:49:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.