Wednesday, February 15, 2006

WALKING,
AGAIN



So I was a-walkin' again, and this time, I went UP the hill! (Although this picture is not 'up' my hill...it's a closer view of some of the homes one passes by when you walk and look across one of the canyons, up here....) And up the hill here--let me tell you--is steep....! Oh My! (Lions And Tigers And Bears, Oh My!)...And because I went up to the top of my street and then turned onto another street that is flat--once you get there, that is--and that also happens to be a cul-de-sac...I took a lot more pictures of many things and of many houses and some other different foliage....And the thing that is so amazing about doing this is: I used to do this walk, and more...all the time before I began having some Health Issues....and I know I noticed a lot of what I am seeing now, but not as much and having my camera with me I sometimes take pictures of things that I just like 'seeing'....
I know a lot of these things were there too, when I walked back then, (like this empty can just thrown along the sidewalk by some unthinking non-caring-polluting-disgusting person....) but a lot weren't, because a number of the houses at the top of the hill are now owned by different people and major renovations have been done on a number of these houses...which included changing all sorts of things, including landscaping, of course....and carrying the camera, as I have said before...just sort of makes me see things I might not have noticed before or just took for granted before because I was walking every day and that's what happens when you do something like this every day--day in and day out--, you know? And I've got to say, I'm having a very very good time doing this. I guess, again, because I have the camera around my neck, I can't help thinking about the fact that some of things would be great to share with other people....and so, here we are, once again.....



Here for instance is a section of my street as we start the incline after we go around a curve or two....one thing that has astonded me is how very many high walls there are surrounding many of these homes...like this is a home that never had a wall around it and, in fact, was pretty much falling apart before the 'new' owners did major renovations and then--because the lady of the house now--an Academy Award winning film star--needs a certain privacy,
this wall was built making it impossible to even see any part of this house at all including the roof, which used to be visible from the street along with the whole house, too...
The lady that had lived in this house died in the house, and because she was very elderly, the house had fallen into great disrepair--thus the 'new' owners did major renovations...Looking the other way going down the hill, there are some interesting things growing in the front bed...
if any of you know what these things are, do let me know, as you did before in that last post about walking...cause I haven't got a clue...like that grey-green looking plant...what do you think that is? And that wonderful amazing looking flower...do tell me, if you know...








Just around the next curve from that last home, on the same side of the street as the last place, we have a rather new home...it's maybe
twelve years old(?)--but it was built by a superb builder-guy who tried to stay with the old look of the spanish style of architecture that is the 'signiture' of this area...and another wall was built around this very large home. The steepness of this hill can be seen in the next photo, sort of--this "steepness" photo was taken on the far side of this home looking through a metal gate at the mountain across the way and down into the canyon below which has the main road--Outpost Drive, going though it and up the entire hill to the top where Outpost ends and meets Mulholland Drive. You can see the top of a home that is on the west side of Outpost Drive if you look carefully...well, I can see it because I know it's there...and on the left of the photo you can see part of a deck that belongs to this house...And I'm sorry that this is not one of my better pictures but it will have to do till I can get a better rendering of this view...I love that this mountain is right here and if you recall, you can see it from my view, too, but of course, this is a totally different feeling because it is in the canyon and in fact, when they advertise these houses anytime they are 'For Sale', they say.."Beautiful Canyon View"....well, it certainly is that. And I think this house has some "city view" as well even if it is only when looking to the left when you face the mountains and what there is to see of the city...if anyone has difficulty with heights, these hills are not the place for you to live...I'm very glad to say, I don't have any 'height issues'....Thank God!








I included this picture because it shows the other side of the street across from the house that is in the picture above here, that we just saw. This small hill has some kind of activity going on, as you can see from the bags of sand and that fence...which did not use to be there...this is a recent development and I'm not sure exactly what is taking place up top, but it wouldn't surprise me if someone is finally building a home up there...unfortunately you can't see the top because it isn't viewable when you look up, all you see is this.



So...you see what I mean? You can't really see what is happening up there on the top of this little hill...except, it looks like there is a fence up there, too...I know if I would run into any of my neighbors who walk their dogs, THEY would know exactly what's taking place up there...(LOL) In fact, I think I will call my next door neighbor, the great great Lighting Director, RB because he knows everything that is happening up here before it happens!
He is a terrific man and one of the most talented Lighting Designers around.



Moving further up the hill, one sees more homes and more of the windingness in the road and more of the steepness too of course...in fact from this point on...when trying to walk up this bloody hill... is the toughest part of the hill...it is truly daunting...When I got to a certain point, I had to stop...so I did stop and then I turned around and looked up...There is a very 'Art Moderne' type house on the top of the hill which you can see from this vantage point...so I took this photo trying to show, again, how the homes are built all over the place on this hill, and you can see them from many vantage points, like this...



When I took a really good look...I could see that there was someone working on the house up there...a little figure that appeared to be doing something, but I couldn't tell what from where I was standing in the street so far below....So, with my trusty Camera, I went into Zoom Mode and was amazed at what I saw....


I snapped away and was lucky enough to get this next picture...(I LOVE this camera of mine!)...Check this out! There, working away, was a guy painting something or other that I couldn't see exactly on this huge house!



It's kind of funny, cause he looks like he's been a very bad boy and has been told to stand in the corner!

(Parenthetically...I have no idea how this whole thing is going to post, cause I did not put this photograph here, knowingly. The mystery's of HTML and Blogger continue to make me scratch my head and wonder...'What's It All About, Alfie?'...back to my journey up the hill....)



I will end Part 1 of this Walking Post with what I saw when I reached the crest of the hill, at the top of my street.....What you see is this home. You may remember if you are a regular visitor here at Here In The Hills that I mentioned the late very dear actor Michael Jeter being a neighbor...well, this was his home until he died of an AIDS related illness...And as you may or may not recall, I mentioned that he had done the S.T.A.G.E. Benefit a number of years ago and was utterly brilliant...his death was a terrible loss to all who knew and loved him, and to all of his very devoted fans, too....And by the way, he was an avid animal lover and in particular, a dog person...

Watch for part 2 of this particular walk...more homes, more plants, and some surprises, too...coming soon at a theatre near you...well, you know what I mean...







31 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

First post. Lovely views and it looks so nice and warm there. Michele sent me once but I keep coming back LOL

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 2:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

lovely walk and pics.

Hello Michele sent me

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 4:18:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I like your pics and ,like you , I walk too. :)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 5:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

These walks are a great idea, we enjoy them, you enjoy them and they keep you fit! What more could we ask?

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 6:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Ah, why does every mention of Michael Jeter make me smile a sweet sad smile.....?

Thank you, Naomi, for more wonderful pictures and narrative :-)

cq

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 8:58:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You live in such an interesting neighborhood! Looking forward to part 2. :)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 10:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love your Walking up the Hills, Naomi. Great fun to me seeing your neighborhood! I am look forward to see the "Walk Parte 2" and some surprises! And I would love to see some day, photos from down the hill, too!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 10:13:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

We are all just walking blog reporters! I can't believe the stuff that happened to me when I went out yesterday. Some I captured and some I missed...post to come on Friday...I'm getting more ideas than days in the week!

Don't cha just love this reality show peek into other people's lives?!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 12:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, thanks for taking us on another walk,I am still a little sad that I didn't know you in June I was so so close to you but yet so far lol.
I am trying to figure out when I can get back to LA next so we can walk together !

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 1:24:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi and Wendy - can I come, can I, can I????

cq

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 1:27:00 PM PST 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Wow! Nice pix and pretty neighborhood. I can now better understand the mudslides CA gets. I was wondering, with so many of the properties getting walled in and hillsides basically walling in the view, do you ever feel like you're walking in a maze that you just can't see over the top of? :-) I think it would be better to bring the walls downn and use some sort of fence to keep people out, but I do understand the telephoto lens issue for celebrities. It's a shame they have to live in a box walled off from the rest of the world.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 2:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Thanks for the walking pics. Well, the pics are not actually "walking." YOU were doing the walking.
You know what I mean. (tee-hee)

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 5:25:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful walk through the neighborhood again. I don't know what those plants/flowers are though.

Thanks for sharing this with us Naomi. I'm looking forward to more!!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 7:11:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Gorgeous hills, gorgeous blue sky.

Thanks for the link!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 8:38:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Lovely photos as always Naomi, it looks like it truly is quite a walk up that hill!

Hello this morning, from Michele!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 9:44:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love seeing your photos and hearing you tell about your neighborhood. Good for you for getting out and staying fit!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 10:04:00 PM PST 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

You know, the thing that always surprises me most is how green everything is in the little area you live.

Cali isn't supposed to look like that. Or at least, that's what's in our Midwesterner handbook!

Wednesday, February 15, 2006 at 11:55:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful.

One day I would love nothing more than to join you on a walk, and spend some time chatting with you about your life. I would love to hear all your stories face-to-face.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 at 8:32:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Our hills looks similar, but the one out back is part of the Cleveland National Forest, so there are no houses on it. (thankfully)
Who says we Californians don't get to see blue skies? Beautiful!
Nice pics ooloth!

Thursday, February 16, 2006 at 2:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Michele sent me to see you, Naomi.

The pictures are incredible--especially that one at Outpost and Mulholland that shows just how steep those hills you live in are--as usual. I love seeing your neighborhood, Naomi. Your insight about seeing things so much more when you're actively photographing is right on target. Even when I don't have my camera I look at everything so much more carefully now.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 at 10:09:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Damn woman, I wish you would name names. WHO is that academy award winning actress? Come on.... you can tell me! :-)

Your 'hood is so lovely. I think I sort of know where it is, by the Outpost/Mulholland DR reference, and it is star central around there! Your grocery store must be a trip. Do you have a Gelson's nearby?

Here via Michele.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 at 10:16:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

you know...the pics of your 'hood' (lol) remind me of that goldie hawn/burt reynolds movie...best friends. they have shots of their street in the hills. i used to watch that movie all the time when i lived in miami. wondering.... were the streets really like that in hollywood??

once i moved here, the first thing i did was take a trip up the hills to confirm it for myself.

they were! lol!!

i love seeing your photo journals, naomi. i love the fact that i get to see a part of los angeles that i don't get to see out here in the 'burbs....and all through your eyes.

have a wonderful weekend! :) and i can't wait to see what you put up next! :)

oh, thank you!! i'm on your blogroll! :) i am both honored & humbled.
<-----doing jen's patented happy jiggle. lol!!

Thursday, February 16, 2006 at 10:22:00 PM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Great pictures, the canyon one made me a little dizzy. I don't usually have trouble with heights but that is one steep drop.
Here from Michele.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 at 10:24:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

..Over from the other Michele's..
But I have to tell you I love these images..............
my favorite area of the city...

Thursday, February 16, 2006 at 10:30:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks for taking me along on your walk. It is fascinating to discover what you see when carrying a camera that you might not have noticed without it.

Here from Michele's.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 at 11:50:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Visiting from Michele. You are artsy and like theater, I thought of you on a post I made tonight about Ilana yahov. Check it out.

Thursday, February 16, 2006 at 11:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Being from here in So Cal the area you live in looks very familiar, its easy to recongnize the hills in and around Los Angeles and Orange County.

Thanks for much for stopping by my blog! I answered your DC question in my comments :)

Friday, February 17, 2006 at 6:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hey Nayba! Don't you just hate that T.V. Guide sign too. Makes me want to buy a slingshot.

Saturday, February 18, 2006 at 8:58:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm heartened by the fact that you were able to get out and capture the neighborhood again. I hope that means you're feeling better.

The pictures and stories are once again breathtaking. I can see why you so very much love to walk there. You paint such amazing word pictures.

Saturday, February 18, 2006 at 1:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I LOVE it! When I win the lottery, I'm buying a vacation home next to you!

Saturday, February 18, 2006 at 1:32:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The weather there looks completely wonderful. I am off to Cali tomorrow and can't wait!!! This NYC cold is getting old.

Sunday, February 19, 2006 at 7:00:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.