Thursday, February 09, 2006

MY
NEIGHBOR-
HOOD

So, I have a few more photo's of things in the neighborhood...These are things I saw when I took my walks, last week....(no walks yet this week cause my back is not too good...). But, these were some other things that I 'snapped'....Here for instance is a close up of my next door neighbors tile inset, at his front gate. I had a not-so-close-shot in the WALKING Post...but I thought you should see it in more detail, cause it's really quite beautiful, I think...

Along the way I saw a Lemon Tree, well, more like a Lemon Bush at this point, but it is definitely yeilding fruit already as you can see....it has some Lemons on it that are just beginning to turn yellow. I will be watching them and I will take some more photo's when they are riper or closer to being ready to pick...and incidentally it's right by the sidewalk on the side of these neighbors house...the gentleman who lives here was one of the Producer/Director's of the television show "MASH", among other shows...a lovely man who has lived up here almost as long as I have...




I'm not sure what this is; it looks like a very small condom, but...well, it has been a long time since I've seen one, so it could be almost anything, except it seemed like it was 'soft', as appossed to...well, I won't go on with this explaination, except to say that it was in the gutter and I just happened to see it because you have to look down when you walk up here in the street or even on the sidewalks because you could trip over all sorts of things and fall and hurt yourself....and how do I know this?....Cause I have 'been there/done that' and fallen, pretty good!

Any ideas what this could be other than the above mentioned condom?


Here's a rather wonderful Courtyard of the home two doors down from me. This place was built around 1927 in the Spanish Style which was a must at that time. In fact all the homes built up here in those first years of the developing of this hill all had to be built in the 'spanish style'. It's why there are so very many prized homes from that period that have been preserved and or restored by the newer owner's, which I have always thought was a wonderful thing...I mean, that these new owner's have such respect for the beauty of these homes that instead of tearing them down, which is almost a disease here in Los Angeles, they are interested in preserving whatever history this area has...and BTW this particular home goes down 4 story's and of course from the street level you cannot tell how big this house really is, at all...

This next photo is kind of interesting because I was trying to capture the steepness of these hills...and in this case, looking through the railings of my other next door neighbor's home and getting in closer so you can see Outpost Drive which is at the bottom of the canyon below us....I have a somewhat similar view except you can't really get the feeling of the steepness the way you can in this photo.


I am fascinated by the different flowers that different people have growing outside their homes, in planters and in beds of one kind or another. The variation of things is so very interesting because it reflects such individual taste, you know? A couple of doors up from me..(That's how we talk about 'positions' here...if the homes are up hill from you or down hill from you...) there is another home with a big wall and out in front of the wall is a small bed for flowers and the people who live here now have Calla Lily's in that bed...and very very beautiful they are, too!



Right next door to this house with the big wall and the Calla Lily's is another house who's entry way is right next to the street and they have a large planter that is just to the left of the front door...a kind of square shaped bed...and they have a very interesting combination of flowers in this planter...all rather lush and very colorful, including Pointsetta's, as you can see from this photo. I honestly am not sure what the other flowers are...possibly some of you will know what they are...I just know they are quite beautiful and I like the fact that there is an informal quality about the way they are put together in this planter--as if the seeds were just thrown in and let go to grow however they wanted and the combination of all these flowers together really looks great, doesn't it?




And then, I got a close-up of that odd but beautiful flower on the "Old Man" Cactus, in my own front yard....you may remember...this is the flower that I call 'The Penis Flower'...Well, it's such an unusual looking flower and I wouldn't know how else to describe it!
The thing is, the variation of what people like in the way of flowers and plants to surround their particular homes is truly amazing and is so incredibly varied...The expression of one's individuality through flora and fauna....I LOVE IT!

More to come as we go along here...

**And an update on the 'Visual Pollution' painting.... I got a photo of the scoffolding as this painting is growing, from one day to another..and so late on Wednesday the second photo shows the further progress...much more than before, but still not completely done... As you can see, this painting is going to cover the entire building before they are finished....well, I should say, the entire north side of the building....the side that faces the hills and the side that thousands of people can see every day as they look out their windows at the beautiful view of the city...This painting is what will catch their eye! I was amazed that I hadn't noticed it before, and then I realized, I hadn't seen it before because it wasn't there! Oy.**








28 Comments:
had this to say:

i just love you're walking photo journal! :) you know, as a fellow southlander....people rarely see the true beauty of our city. thanks for sharing it....as you see it! :)

Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 3:49:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Neat pictures! Love the courtyard - so pretty. And I love Old Man cacti - they are just really cool. I think that ad on the side of the building might be for Target with all those little red target looking thingies. But who knows? lol!

Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 4:13:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am still trying to figure out what that VP picture is going to be of.
Thanks for taking us around the neighbourhood again :)
Have a great Friday.

Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 4:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Love these, my dear :-) You live somewhere most of us dream of.......

I do hope you are feeling more mobile soon and can dish more yummy photos of the Hollywood Hills :-)

cq

Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 5:02:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A blog photo journal stroll...very cool. The pink flower on the cactus is my favorite by far.

Loved your wedding ring passage too. Marrying people? You are versitile. Do you still play pool too?!

Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 5:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Naomi, the other flowers with the poinsettias are begonias, I think.

I love the blue tile insert. I watched part of a show on HGTV tonight called House Hunters. A guy was looking for a 1-storey house in the hills above Hollywood, and the one he chose was stucco and sort of contemporary spanish style, with a pool. It was a great house!

Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 7:54:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The tiny condom thing reminds me of the seal that I pull out of the orange juice carton opening.

Thursday, February 9, 2006 at 8:19:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Just because I also live on a hill the perspective looks familiar. Except for your visual pollution! I will show you my neighborhood with similar houses (would you believe it???lol!) when I return from my ski week, which starts tomorrow. Well, we sit in the car tomorrow but you get the idea. Hope your back is doing better.

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 12:19:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

wow great images..........
I love this are of our city...
As you know.......

btw the other michele sent me...

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 12:19:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow~
How wonderful! Neat pictures! It always nice to stop by to see what you are up to.btw cool contemporary spanish style house .

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 1:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Looks like a nice place. michele sent me.

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 2:12:00 AM PST 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

Lovely, lovely photos! What a treat.

I don't like the ad on the building though. Intrusive.

The gate tiles are beautiful. You live in a very nice area.

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 5:59:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Love your walk through your neighborhood, Naomi. Beautiful the view "Outpost Drive" and "the bottom of the canyon". Gorgeous flowers, too. I agree with Kenju, I think they are begonias.
I am look forward to see the update on the 'Visual Pollution' painting that is going to cover the entire building.

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 6:02:00 AM PST 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

BTW, I don't think it's a condom. I think it's some sort of cap from inside a carton. When you screw off the top of a milk carton, underneath is a cap which must be removed. Like that.

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 6:03:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi OOLOTH! Just popped by and what do I find, another great 'walk' post? By the way I hope that you are going to do the 'best 5 art' post, I look forward to that. Best regards Dave.

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 7:29:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

looks nice!

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 10:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

A lovely set of pictures from you walk Naomi! I thought they were begonia's too with the poinsetta. Love that little pointed bloom on Old Man Cactus. Pretty neat how it does that. Thanks for sharing the views from your area. Interesting!

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 12:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

An interesting romp through the hills. Thank you, ma'am.

I am here from Michele's place.

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 12:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm tempted to bring a bike with me and cruise the neighborhood on two wheels.

I do hope that when I make an eventual pilgrimmage to California that you would consider being my walking guide through your neighborhood!

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 1:56:00 PM PST 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

i absolutely love looking at your city through your eyes. you have a way of describing the things you see with such clarity and honesty. i have always loved the area you live in.
keep bringing us your walking photo blog entries!

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 3:34:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It figures that TV Guide would put that blight on the landscape on its building. Thankfully you were able to more than balance off this awful sight with the great images closer to home.

I truly feel as if we went for that walk with you. Just wonderful.

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 4:17:00 PM PST 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

i'm baaaaaaack! this time from michele's. i just wanted to tell you that i love the pictures of the flowers. i think the flowers with the poinsettas are either begonias or a variety of geraniums. very pretty indeed.
also to tell you i passed along information about the STAGE benefit to my cousin, Mechelle, who lives in North Hollywood. She may even be interested in volunteering with your program. You may hear from her.

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 4:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great post! Love the plant pics and the mini-condom had me laughing! Definitely, the pull tag on OJ containers.

Hope your back feels better soon!

Take care,
Em

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 6:58:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Fabulous post! I really enjoyed walking along with you. Your neighbourhood looks so colouorful, and those flowers!!! I can't even imagine what it would be like to grow such exotic flowers in my own yard. Calla Lilies that you don't have to buy from a florist! And the penis cactus...now that is a very interesting plant if I ever did see one. Hmmm..any chance that was HIS condom lying in the gutter?!

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 9:51:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

oh ya! here via Michele's today...

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 9:51:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love your "walking" pictures! Too bad about the visual pollution. Who do "they" really think finds that attractive??? Michele sent me!

Friday, February 10, 2006 at 9:58:00 PM PST 

Blogger Bec
had this to say:

so nice to be back and see you out and about! Thanks for taking us on a walk around your hills.
Hello from Michele's tonight.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 3:23:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

You're lucky to have such wonderful things to look at when you take your walks.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 6:51:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.