Saturday, February 11, 2006

NATURE,
PHENOMENAL!

There is this magnificent plant in my garden, upstairs in the front that is a Webercereus Johnsonii, it was quite large when I first got it about 16 or so years ago, but now it is just that much more magnificent...having grown many many new arms as time has gone on, plus it also has grown 'up' as well. This is a very unusual plant because it was developed by a man named Johnson, (thus the Johnsonii part of it's name), and he had a fantastic collection of Cactus type plants all of which were bought by that Nursery out in Pasadena that I have mentioned in a previous post, Meleenee--now known as California Cactus, after Mr. Johnson died....the point being that there are not very many of these plants in existance and so it is a very very precious one for me and would be considered a prime 'Speciman Plant' by anyone who knows about these things.

So, you remember that we had that horrific rain storm the first day or two after New Year's when that beautiful Euphorbia Amak Verigated got uprooted and fell on my roof and I lost it
....well, these two cuttings from the Webercereus Johnsonii have been sitting on the very full 'cutting table' for a whole month! Yes, these two pieces got bent and broken by the further heavy-duty winds that we had here in the first two weeks of January...and at the time, there were probably 15 or so potential flowers that were going to bloom.


So, here's the phenomenal part: They have all bloomed! Every one of them. And it happens that these flowers only bloom at night and at that, they are only wide open for one night! That's right. One night. You miss it and you've missed it! So, because the arms are very very tall on this plant I have never been able to get a really great photograph of any of the flowers, except from underneath. So, these photo's are pretty amazing! This was taken during the day...early in the day, I might add, when they were still just slightly open...and I was thrilled to get this because I have never been able to get this angle, and though it is not the full beauty of the flower, I was thrilled to get this, let me tell you...especially lucky to get as close as I did and to be able to see the many varied subtle colors in these flowers...also I love that you can see that the ribs of this arm are a beautiful light turquoisey blue.

I kept hoping I would get one of these flowers late at night...you see they are wide open at midnight...just like other flowers are wide open at noon, you know?
Well, they're "noon" is "midnight"....but I kept missing 'the right night'....till....TILL....last night....(February 9th)....and there it was...wide wide open....and I got both these shots which absolutely thrilled me...
These flowers are so delicate and have such subtle pale beautiful color to them...and look at the side of that flower--the webbing, or whatever one would call it--phenomenal! Phenomenal because the cuttings have been sitting there for an entire month! A whole 30 days. Not in the ground. No water. No sunlight. No nothing, except their own incredible resources...


Then, this morning, (February 10th) the flower had completelly closed up as is it's way...never to open again. You can see it right there in the center of the photograph below...completely closed up with just that little stamin visible. And it will eventually dry up and just fall off of the plant....I find this absolutely fantastic. Talk about life going on....And, we will be planting these two cuttings in pots tomorrow so that they can and will have a further life, eventually, in the ground. Like I said, Nature--Phenomenal!

**As you can see....I FINALLY have the beginnings of a Blogroll!!!!!! HOORAY! YIPPEE!!! And ALL thanks to Craziequeen who discovered one of the reasons I've had such a problem...there was no Links Thingy in this Template...(WHY, Blogger, Why????) So, she Created One!!!! CREATED ONE!!! A Genius, I do believe...

So...if you don't see your blog there yet it is because I am s-l-o-w-l-y adding each one manually so it will take a bit of time....but, I will get them all on there, I promise...

THREE CHEERS FOR CQ!!!! Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray, Hip Hip Hooray!**







39 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow beautiful pictures, and what a beautiful place u live in lady. Your blog is wonderful and those flowers are incredible. Nature has the most beauty in it, and no human beauty can surpass that of nature's.
jo

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 2:33:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Your cacti look like real live creatures - all furry and the like - the last couple of photos seriously look like paws...

Here via Michele today...

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 2:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful blooms! Wow, I really envy your collection. I have never been successful in making the cactus bloom.

Cheers from Michele.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 4:18:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Now that's what I call a silver lining to the cloud. Who knew when the cactus broke that you would have this opportunity 30 days later??!!

The flowers are so beautiful, and I am so glad you got the photos and posted them. Wonderful!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 4:34:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a beautiful flower.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 5:40:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Simply amazing! Thanks for the visit...I'll be back.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 7:12:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Definitely one of the things I really enjoy about cactus. Although, it's sad we only have those beautiful blossoms for one night and a little bit of the day, they really are beautiful and delicate and such a contrast to the plant they bloom on! :)

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 8:24:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What incredible pictures! That flower is so lovely. Amazing that it bloomed after all that time with nothing. That is truly awesome indeed! Lovely post as usual Naomi!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 10:59:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm on the east coast close to the Atlantic ocean, and I'm amazed at how different plant life, terrain, etc. is out here than in your area.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 11:46:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Oh wow. Love those pics! Here from Michele's.

Wow. That's all I can say.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 11:53:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What an amazing story of life in the wake of loss. It reminds me of my "life, defiant" entry recently. Somehow, life just wants to keep going on no matter what Ma Nature throws at it.

I love how you share this with us. Remarkable!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 3:19:00 PM PST 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

how amazing is that??? such wonderment we can find in nature. i love the photos you've posted and the backstory to them all. i'm fast becoming your biggest fan!
michele sent me!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 5:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Michele sent me, OOLH

This is a very interesting post, Naomi. Very much in line with your posts after the storm. The closeup of the flower was particularly interesting because of the view of the cactus. The needles were so dark and dense they looked like fur! I was thinking it was a Wookie--but then reminded myself that there's no such thing!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 5:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Eeew! It looks like a strange, hairy animal with a flower on it!

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 6:57:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

those are fascinating. what beautiful, mellow colors. isnt it amazing how perfectly flowers are? so brilliant, or pastel, just breathtaking, all of them. i love your garden.

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 9:22:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

greetings to you from michele!

A quick not about the comment you left on my blog... Jessica and Zachary were planning on moving in to our building, they even got approved, but she changed her mind and changed her babysitter and now i really dont know what she is doing. hopefully everything will work out for her.

What great shots of your cactus bloom. i have always thought the blooms of cactii were amazing.

nice to see you again

Saturday, February 11, 2006 at 11:53:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm a great fan of cacti, and thought your pictures were beautiful.

Michele sent me here.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 2:52:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Nice pics ! I like your blog and I am outting you on my blogroll.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 4:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful Naomi! Amazing to see this incredible survival and struggle to life. Just gorgeous photos. I agree with Melody, they look like real lives creatures with furrry and paws!

I saw your photos when the cactus fallen down and now some part of them are blooming! Just breathtaking.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 5:39:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Beautiful pictures....

Everytime I see catus my mind goes to an unsightly place.

Have a good Sunday!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 6:46:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That's fantastic that it flowered after everything it's been through :)

I hope you're enjoying the weekend.

Here via Michele's :)

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 7:02:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wow what a lucky night for you and well worth the lost sleep. I just love flowers and have never seen a catus bloom.

Here from Michele's

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 7:48:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

isn't it amazing how such a beautiful and delicate thing can grow out of and blossom from a prickly cactus plant? wonderful pics again, naomi! :)

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 8:43:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That is so amazing! WOW!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 11:01:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Beautiful flowers and wonderful photographs. I bet you are thrilled that you managed to get them! It just goes to show us how resilient nature is.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 1:31:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

wow! I had no idea a cactus could get so hairy looking!!! It looks like something that would be climbing trees in the rainforest!!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 1:38:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

great images..
I love the last one like it some kind of animal.............

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 1:50:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Gorgeous plant! Michele sent me today and I truly enjoyed looking at the photos and reading about it!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 1:50:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Loved your photos and I love the area you live in. I agree that L.A. is getting way too crowded. I live in the Mojave Desert in a quiet little town. Not as beautiful as the Hills around Hollywood, but it is home and I can get to anywhere in town in 10 minutes or less.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 6:26:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That is absolutely AMAZING! Plants are incredible, eh? Especially cactii...

Seriously Michele sent me, but whatever, I come read here anyway.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 6:28:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

As always, your pictures are amazing, and the story behind the pictures just as amazing. It's incredible that it bloomed that way.

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 6:46:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am very impressed ...Those are fabulous!!! I have never heard of them before.That is great that you got the chance to get such great pics....

Thanks for sharing...

Michele sent me today!!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 7:42:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love seeing these pix of yours! Your cactus are actually more interesting that most people's pets! Just gorgeous! And let's hear it for your new blogroll! YEAH!!! Michele sent me tonight, but I actually enjoy visiting on my own! Have a great week!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 8:19:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Ok the lie has been revealed !

Great pictures,how amazing you got the blooms.
YEAH for a blogroll , good old CQ !!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 8:56:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Everything happens for a reason. You were so sad when your huge plant fell and maybe that was why - now you have a previously unseen perspective of it's beauty!
Have a great night!
Steph

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 9:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

The arms of that cactus and the flowers would be great for a science fiction movie about aliens growing in pods, like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
It is such a cool looking plant, and not something one sees every day. Each flower only coming out for one night before closing up for good, sounds like it could be the basis of a wonderful, lonely, lovesick kind of poem or story. This post got my mind stirring. Oh no!

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 9:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

This is unrelated to your post, but as to learning html:
1. View the html source. In some browsers, you do that by clicking on View, then View Source. Or right clicking on a page and selecting View Source.

2. I have also spent alot of time on this website:

http://vzone.virgin.net/sizzling.jalfrezi/intro.htm

:)

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 11:51:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That flower is incredibly beautiful! What a treat for you that the plant came down. Thx for sharing the pictures.
Michele sent me.
Have a great week.

Monday, February 13, 2006 at 1:23:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi, would like to say, very nice pictures. We only have one cactus at home but it's very strange as it flowers about 3 times per year when as far as we know it's not even supposed to flower every year.

Also thank you for visiting my site.

Monday, February 13, 2006 at 3:12:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.