Saturday, February 04, 2006

S.T.A.G.E.

I will be posting about the S.T.A.G.E. Event, (Southland Theatre Artists Goodwill Event) from time to time, as this is the AIDS/HIV Benefit that I have been Co-Chairing, along with my dear friend Betty Garrett, for the past 19 years...This year is our 20th...! (This Ribbon Pin, is our logo...The Musical note, the signiture of the kind of Event that we do..)

Every one of us connected to this Benefit wishes there was no need to do this Event anymore, but, the need is very very much still there and so we press on as do all those stalwart performers who each and every year give so generously of their time, talent and heart, to this always stunning event. And by the way, none of the performing talent ever gets one thin dime for their participation...which I understand from some other people that some performers involved with other Events may get some remuneration. Well, I just want to assure you that this is not true for the STAGE Event and never has been, I'm happy to say.

(This Full Cast photo is the Finale of "SONDHEIM III" The 12th Annual S.T.A.G.E. Benefit)

Here is the address of an announcement which tells you more about the Where, What, Who, and When, (including our primary beneficiary AIDS Project Los Angeles)....of this years event, as of today.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/viewcolumn.cfm?colid=7178

Anyone in the Los Angeles area that is interested in coming to this always FANTASTIC evening....please leave a comment and your email...or, if you are not comfortable with that, email me. (myrtillo1984@yahoo.com).

Our show, each year, honors different Broadway composers who's body of work is superlative and has stood the test of time, and who we consider to have contributed to musical theatre history in a huge and lasting way, like...Leonard Bernstein, Stephen Sondheim, (I, II, & II), Jule Styne, George Gershwin, Rodgers & Hart & Hammerstein, Irving Berlin, Harold Arlen, Cole Porter, Lerner, Loewe And Lane, Andrew Lloyd Webber, etc., etc., etc...This year's Honoree's are Comden & Green two great lyricists from the Golden Age Of The Broadway Musical and further....(see postcard below)...

This 'live' stage show is the BEST BARGAIN in town! We actually have a $35 ticket!!! You cannot even go to a Broadway show for that little money! And yes, of course these seats are in the balcony, but...they are GOOD. I've sat all over this theatre and there really aren't any bad seats, and the few seats that are bad--because of an obstructed view (I think there are maybe 10 all together)---we don't sell!
And you'll see if you have gone to that link above, that there is a $65. ticket and then $110., $160., and our top price of $220 per seat.
I honestly do not know of any other Benefit that has as reasonable tickets as S.T.A.G.E.

We do three shows! Yes, 3-Count Them-3! Friday night, 8pm, Saturday Night, 8pm, and Sunday Afternoon, 3pm. The dates are March 10th, March 11th, and March 12th, this year.
We also have a Beautiful Ad Journal where people can take a Half-Page Ad for only $150.! Plus, we have a Memorial Page where you can remember anyone you have lost, weather to AIDS or any other horrendously painful circumstance, for $10. a name.


Over the years there have been so very many WONDERFUL people who have participated in S.T.A.G.E., like the three Cassidy brothers who sang together the year we did Sondheim III, at which they sang "You Could Drive A Person Crazy" from 'Company'...which is traditionally done by three young women....and these three Cassidy's---Patrick, David & Shaun, were just amazing!!! To see them performing together on the same stage was pretty spectacular and truly special. Their number brought the house down, as they say.





That same year, the incredibly talented and very dear late Michael Jeter did our show, too, and performed the song "Everbody Ought To Have A Maid" from 'A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum'.
He was brilliant! And he was hilarious! This man was so very very talented, and is so very missed by all who knew him and all who worked with him, as well as his legion of fans....Here is another painful example and a heartbreaking reminder of a major talent being lost to future generations because of this dreaded disease---HIV/AIDS. Just as a side note, Micheal was a neighbor of mine, living on my street, up the hill from me. In person, he was a very very shy man...an unassuming man...but someone who's talent on the stage was stunning. He won a Tony Award, and came to Hollywood and besides doing many 'guest spots' on television and I don't even remember how many movies, was a 'regular on "Evening Shade", the sitcom with Burt Reynolds, Marilu Henner and the wonderfully brilliantly talented late Ossie Davis.

Let me just say here and now that I feel so very very strongly about bringing "awareness" to the cause of HIV/AIDS, that I continue to Co-Chair this event even though I can no longer be there, "In Person", at the event itself because of health issues. But, I still send out my letters to over 400 people about tickets (which I've already done)....and I can make phone calls to potential doners, etc...and I can write my blog...AND, hopefully, in this way, make a small difference.

And know this, my very dear Blogesphere Friends....HIV/AIDS can and will touch your life, if it hasn't done so already....I know that it has touched so very many of you out there who may read this and so many of you out there who may never read this, too....

And I'm so very sorry, that it has...Oh Lordy...How my heart breaks for you, and all of us who have lost so very many dear dear loved ones...

Everyone.....Please support your local HIV/AIDS Organizations....

The life they help could be someone you know and love with all your heart....

More to come about S.T.A.G.E. as we go along here....







Just a few words about my oldest sister Robin, who died one year ago on February 4th, 2005. It doesn't seem possible that she is gone, and it seems even more surreal that it has been a whole entire year since she died. I will be posting about her in the near future, I hope....I am just not able to do that yet, but that doesn't mean she is not in my thoughts each and every day...I'm still not able to completely fathom this loss, and I probably never will be able to....But I didn't want this day to go by without saying to her, 'We all miss you so very much, dear dear Robin....and it doesn't seem to get any easier....I so wish I would hear the phone ring, and that I would pick it up and say Hello, and that what I would hear on the other end would be your sweet voice saying to me 'Hi Nay.....it's Robin'.....
















32 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I think it was you who I was supposed to see..........
I always wanted to work or volunteer for the Aids Foundation here..
I should pursue this again...

Saturday, February 4, 2006 at 1:08:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Unfortunately, HIV/AIDS has touched me too this year. I'm so glad that there are people like you who volunteer for this cause. Michele sent me, but happily, I've been here before!

Saturday, February 4, 2006 at 1:10:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That sounds like such a neat event! If we lived there, I would love to come to it. :) Maybe someday. *sigh*

After my mom died, I would find myself picking up the phone to call her and then realizing I couldn't. It took a long time to break myself of that. So I hear you. Hugs!

Saturday, February 4, 2006 at 1:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

If I were in your area, I would definitely go to that, Naomi. It sounds great; Michael Jeter was one of my favorites for years, on Sesame Street (I think) and Evening Shade.

Sorry about your sister. I don't have any siblings, but it must be terrible to lose them.

Saturday, February 4, 2006 at 1:20:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

That sounds like a super show. You deserve high praise for your part in it. And blessings on you and your sister.

(I am from Michele's.)

Saturday, February 4, 2006 at 2:23:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Oh, I love Michael Jeter! He was fabulous in Green Mile and I recently saw him in Picket Fences re-runs....
such a sweet demeanour! and that wonderful sing-song voice....

I didn't realise he was gone :-(

cq

Saturday, February 4, 2006 at 9:16:00 PM PST 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

bless your heart for being so devoted to this cause. if i were in your area, i would certainly be jumping to help out and buy tickets to this event. i have a cousin and several friends in the N.Hollywood area. I know they might be quite interested so I will send them your way.
I'm here from Michele's again! I'm having fun with this M&G. Thank you so much for stopping by my site. I really like reading your comments and visiting your site.
*muah*

Saturday, February 4, 2006 at 9:42:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It's a pity I am not from the L.A. area but I will surely recommend it to all my friends residing there.

Am so sorry to hear about your loss. Even though remembering the loss of a loved one may bring tears, it can also produce emotional release and even joy. I went through the same process and I felt better every time I talk openly about it to friends and family. I call it the "ministry of remembering."

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 2:11:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Somebody could make a banner with your logo to decorate our blogs and rise awareness...I cannot make those, sorry. It's just a thought. So sorry about your sister. She will be with you forever, though.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 2:36:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It's totally understandable you can't yet write about your sister. Sisters share such a close bond, almost what I'd imagine twins share. My heart is with you thru this time.
You do so much selfless giving & for such a worthy cause. That weekend in March, I'll be in Palm Springs with my mom, my sister, her girlfriend & some cousins celebrating my mom's 78th birthday.
I know your benefit will do excellent & raise much needed money.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 3:14:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hon I am going to pass on all of this info to my friend Reichen Burke ( I have no idea if you watch The Amazing Race) he and his then husband won season four) Reichen may be able to give you guys a plug on a radio show he does.
I know his listeners would be interested especially the ones in LA.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 5:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful thing to go to, if I lived there! I love the logo, that is so pretty! It's too bad you can't go see it in person. You are doing a worthy thing Naomi!

I wish you could pick up the phone and hear Robin's voice too. It's so sad when we lose loved ones. Wonderful post as usual!!

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 7:47:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi, Great cause...and great work!

Our fish cost $7.99 for catfish and $10.99 per pound for tunal steaks. Is that comparable?

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 8:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

dear naomi, i don't think i've ever said how much i admire you for doing what you do. your involvement with the aids cause is truly remarkable. how i (& my friend who also loves the theater) would have loved to see the show (if only we didn't live a continent away). imagine the cassidy brothers together that one time! aaargh! just post some pics and your observations and i'm good. :)

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 9:33:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thank you for being a part of something like this, it is so very important. Best of luck in it all and as always, love reading your blog!

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 9:49:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

What a wonderful thing you do with the S.T.A.G.E. Event. Best of luck with it this year.

I will always remember Michael Jeter as a character actor that popped up from time to time in the things I watched. My children, on the other hand, know him as "Mr Noodle's brother Mr. Noodle" from the Elmo's World segment on Sesame Street. Even now on video tapes made of these segments and reruns, he has the power to excite, enthrall and educate the little ones in my world. That's a real talent. I can only imagine how special a person one must be to possess such a gift.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 10:10:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I hope anyone with siblings reads this and picks up the phone. I wish I could ease your pain.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 10:17:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm back again. I can't thank you enough for raising this issue. Hardly anyone I know hasn't been touched by this disease. It's bad enough that it lays waste to our best and brightest. But that it still carries with it an unfairly-earned stigma after all these years is unforgivable.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 12:31:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Just think, if I had stayed in my huffy shell over nonsense, I would have missed out on an awful lot of awesome. And I love Jan Clayton, too; I am a Broadway fanatic and have collected original ST's since high school, which, I'm afraid was a very, very long time ago.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 2:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I always enjoy your site -

Here via Michele

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 4:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It's wonderful that you're still able to participate in this.

I'm so sorry about your sister, that must be so very hard to deal with.

Visiting via Michele tonight, but I wander through from time to time on my own anyway. :)

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 4:40:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Michele sent me here this time :)
I am sorry about your sister. It is hard missing someone and knowing they will never pop over or call you again :(

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 5:04:00 PM PST 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

So sorry about your loss.. the pain never goes away but the good memories always become stronger as the days, months and years pass.

Here from Michele.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 5:35:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Good evening, Naomi, Michele sent me here tonight, and I hope you are doing well.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 6:11:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Our family has done the Aids walk many times in Boston. It follows the Marathon route. 26 miles and MANY blisters, but so worth it. My daughter wants to do it this year, but I may have to do it by wheelchair. I wish I could rent an electric one, because pushing me for 26 miles is horrible.

Your event sounds wonderful. I wish I could be there.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 6:28:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

what a wonderful thing it is you do! But you're right... its sad that there is still a need for it.

(I would have LOVED to see the Cassidy Brothers... *sigh*)

Michele sent me back!

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 6:58:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It sounds like a really great event.

It weirded me out when I went to buy a birthday card for my Grandma and she passed away last year. I guess loved ones are always with us.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 7:26:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

So sorry that you lost your sister. How terribly painful it must be for you. Only a year now, and I'm sure it seems like the pain has not nor ever will subside. Loss of loved ones takes its toll. I wish you some comfort.
The show sounds so wonderful. Your work is very important.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 8:57:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a wonderful thing you do and for such a good cause. Michele sent me.

Sunday, February 5, 2006 at 11:20:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great lineup. I recognized many names for this year's event. I feel very strongly about getting the word out on AIDS even now. I think it's touched everyone directly or indirectly.

Monday, February 6, 2006 at 2:11:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

So sorry for your loss. Good luck at the benefit.

Michele sent me.

Tuesday, February 7, 2006 at 12:08:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Betty Garrett is a friend of yours!! That's so cool, I've loved her in everything she's done... my favourite is the Hippodrome song with Frank Sinatra in On the Town... You always have the coolest pictures and events that you go to...

Michele sent me this time... :)

Sunday, February 12, 2006 at 5:52:00 PM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.