Saturday, March 11, 2006


S.T.A.G.E.

This was taken at the Dress Rehearsal on Thursday night....And this is Linda Michele and she has been in 21 of the 22 years of the STAGE Benefit...Linda has a beautiful Soprano voice...

So, I snuck in, (with our Directors knowledge,) and went up into the first row of the balcony, where there were no people...(my health issues, you know..) I had taken my camera with me and got a few shots...some good, some not so good, but fun anyway...

Today (Friday) I recorded my opening remarks to be played at the top of the show at each performance when Betty G. and I would normally be coming out together....Betty came up to visit me in the balcony Thursday night and that was fun...I got a very strange interesting picture of her...a triple image, sort of, when she was doing her numbers. She sang two songs of Comden & Green, having been in two films which they wrote the lyrics for...
and they showed film clips of those two films behind her as she sang...both clips were with Frank Sinatra...one from "On The Town" and one from "Take Me Out To The Ball Game"....here is this mysterious photograph....it's not a great picture by any means...(not enough light on her for my camera) but I just thought it was so interesting I couldn't delete it....




I did take quite a few photographs that I ended up deleting because they just weren't good at all....at times like this I wish I had a better camera and also a longer lens! There were any number of shots that would have been really terrific....but....(Aren't you glad I'm telling you about all these 'might-have-been-shots?...) And if I had been closer to the stage, like from the orchestra, I think I would have had more light to work with....But, given that...here are a couple of more shots.





This handsome young man is a fantastic performer named Kevin Earley. He is so incredibly talented...one of those voices that literally send shivers down your spine...and he ain't bad to look at either!

He has numerous Broadway credits including "Thoroughly Modern Millie" and "Les Miz" ...He did the National tour of 'Les Miz', and has appeared in numerous musical shows here in Los Angeles. Last year was his first year with S.T.A.G.E. and we are thrilled to have him back with us again this year...Here he is as one of the three sailors in "On The Town"...singing, "Lonely Town"....a heartbreakingly beautiful song which he did magnificently.....

This is another 'good' shot....Tami Tappen Damiano...playing Eileen, in "Wonderful Town" adapted from the film "My Sister Eileen"...
this was a wonderful show and another one of the great Broadway shows I was lucky enough to see in it's Original incarnation with Rosalind Russell, Edie Adams and the powerful gorgeous Baritone 'tones' of George Gaynes...In this shot, Tami is doing the 'Conga' number with The Fleet. This show takes place in New York City in the Greenwich Village area, and it is the 1940's. This is such a fun show....I'm not sure how often this is revived but it should be done all the time because it has great parts for both women & men...One of the other films that Betty made later on with Jack Lemmon and Janet Leigh and a young Bob Fosse, was the musical version of "My Sister Eileen", but not 'Wonderful Town'. Another score by different composers...I think it's one of the first times a film was adapted into a musical for the stage and then adapted again, for films as a musical, but with an entirely different score. And, it was originally a book, if memory serves!


Here's one more photo and then I have to go to bed....I need my ZZZzzzzzzz's, you know? This number is from "The Will Rogers Follies" and this was a pretty colorful and complicated number with terrific choreography....And here it is!

It was wonderful to see some of the Dress Rehearsal....and see some of my cohorts, too....I so wish I could actually be there for the performances but it's just too many people for my lungs...So, I will be thrilled to see the Archival tape and just being there for that rehearsal lifted my spirits no end....

One down, and two more to go....

More to come....

**Update: I just got off the phone with Bert C. a man that has been a “volunteer” on this event for as long as I can remember. He runs our Merchandise Tables…T-Shirts, Mugs, CD’s, etc…he gets no applause or recognition of any kind. And he brings a whole crew of people with him who are ALL volunteers too, and some of them have been working this event almost as long as he has…(a couple of them work the Green Room set-up…Food for the Cast & Crew, etc., etc.…)
Bert has a regular “Job-Job” in New York City. He flies out at his own expense, stays from Friday to Sunday and works ALL three shows and then flies back to New York on Sunday night….THAT’S true dedication to ‘The Cause’.

We thank you dear Bert, (And your hearty Crew, Too…) with all our hearts for once again giving so very generously of your time and your expertise!** (12:36pm)










29 Comments:
had this to say:

Those are great shots! I can't wait to hear how the real thing goes!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 4:08:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Fantastic photos!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 5:52:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I really enjoyed looking at your photos, not just for this post, but for several others. You got some lovely plant photos!

Michele sent me. :-)

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 8:15:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

It's too bad you can't make the performances, but I'm glad you got to go to the dress rehearsal. Looks fun! :)

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 8:54:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm so glad you got to sneak in for some of the rehearsal! I so wish you could go to the actual show.

Great pictures, even the spooky looking one of Betty!!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 9:28:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful photos....even the one of Betty was very interesting!! I'm so glad you got to sneak in and see the dress rehearsal! Thanks for sharing the pictures and stories with us, I love it!

Have a wonderful weekend my friend!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 9:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Wonderful. Reading this, I’m thinking that you’d be interested in the Cornelia Street Café in New York. Maybe you know it. It has a serious cabaret downstairs—music, poetry, more. The Vagina Monologues was first done there. Suzanne Vega and others got started there. It didn’t open until the early 1970s, but it’s a lot like the 1950s down there. The impresario, Robin Hirsch, is a Brit from the old theater tradition. A swashbuckler extraordinaire—I hear he’s opened a new restaurant, but I’m sure he is still running business in the basement.

Thank you for your thoughtful and encouraging comments on the series I ran this week. I did leave certain details out. I don’t mind your asking. Thanks for your insight. Stay in touch!

Rick

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 10:45:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

hi naomi! your photos make the show come alive for us your readers. how i wish i could have been in the audience with you taking in all those wonderful songs being sung by those very talented individuals! :)

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 12:07:00 PM PST 

Blogger jac
had this to say:

naomi, as always you've managed to post a colorful account of what you've witnessed. i so hope that this year's shows go better than last year's shows. i'll be thinking of you and all the workers for 'the cause'. bless your heart!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 12:53:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Michele sent me....

GREAT shots!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 1:45:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Great shots, but it's sort of breaking my heart that you can't go and see this show in person. Being chronicly sick sucks SO much. I know you'll get to see the archival film, but it's NOT the same as being there and looking at all the gowns and seeing old friends. I hope you're not too sad tonight at home. Get yourself a nice tub of ice cream, just in case!

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 1:49:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I am glad you at least got to see the dress rehearsal Naomi. It looks like it is going to be a fantastic night, I wish I could be there :)

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 2:29:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

It looks great and the photos help get a sense of the occasion. "Break a leg" as they say in show biz!

And Hi - today Michele sent me!

rashbre

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 4:43:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I'm echoing other people, but yeah, wish you could be there for the actual performance. There's always so much energy when it's in front of an audience.

Here via Michele's this time :)

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 6:48:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Anxious to hear how the opening goes.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 7:15:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

I love all your photos, Naomi, and I do understand the limitations of some cameras (mine included). You make the show sound sowonderful. Too bad we can't all be there.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 at 9:37:00 PM PST 

Blogger Joe
had this to say:

Great pictures and great post. I really enjoyed reading that. I can't wait for more updates about the STAGE event!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 12:57:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

hello - nice to see you again - from michles this Am

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 1:40:00 AM PST 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Thanks for sharing this event!!!! have a great sunday

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 2:51:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your post- your weblog!- had me in a smile this morning. What's this? A smile??? A first visit (shame on me- I see your comments in all the best places) to thank you for your kind thoughts and care for me and my family at this time.

And now look- I'm trapped at a site where someone writes about acting and cactus! I love cactus. :-) Plus, you know, any friend of Gene's and Roxanne's and...

I'll be back- and thank you again for all your support. It means a great deal to me.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 6:27:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Your post- your weblog!- had me in a smile this morning. What's this? A smile??? A first visit (shame on me- I see your comments in all the best places) to thank you for your kind thoughts and care for me and my family at this time.

And now look- I'm trapped at a site where someone writes about acting and cactus! I love cactus. :-) Plus, you know, any friend of Gene's and Roxanne's and...

I'll be back- and thank you again for all your support. It means a great deal to me.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 6:28:00 AM PST 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Great pix! Thanks for sharing and thanks for the background as to the plays, songs and people. Always a pleasure to view your blog.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 7:22:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, I am so glad that you went to see the dress rehearsal! Glad you enjoyed the show!

I love the photos! The Betty's tripple image photos is very interesting! It show up movement and mystery. I am looking forward to see other photos!

Have a lovely Sunday!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 9:04:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I'm so glad you got to go view the dress rehearsal; I know that meant a lot to you. You've put your entire heart & soul into this production & I can imagine how excited you must be getting. You're such a giving person.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 9:13:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I do so love coming here to read your wonderful stories! :)

Here from Michele's today!

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 10:09:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi OOLOTH hope that you are having a great weekend. Here from Michele's this time.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 11:33:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

I can't wait for the wrap-up post, the one where we learn how much money you raised and all the other juicy details from the show. I'm so proud of you, Naomi.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 11:38:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hello Dolly and Try To Remember are songs that I play on my organ.
I love the pieces.

Sunday, March 12, 2006 at 10:14:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Taking pictures in theatres is a huge challenge. The environment practically eats light, and the hit rate - the percentage of successful pictures - is always low.

But you've managed to squeeze out some captivating ones here - likely better than I would have managed in the same situation. I would have had my honking long lens mated to a flash with a guide number akin to a lighthouse and an SLR camera that can see in the dark. But that would be total overkill. And it would make my wife cringe that I'm playing with my silly boy toys again.

Sometimes, it's best to go simple. I'm glad you did, as it feels like we were right there with you, in the balcony.

Sunday, March 19, 2006 at 10:55:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.