Monday, May 15, 2006
GEORGE!


This was this morning, 5/10/06 at 9:54a.m. I will be recording the days events regarding these flowers... Another view, (sideways) to show you in a slightly larger format how this beautiful flower is developing. (This was taken on May 9th, actually. And actually shows the flower slightly more open. Hmmm.)


Well....I honestly do not quite understand what is happening with dear George's flowers. I am non-plussed. The blossom above never opened any more than what you see in the 2nd picture, above. And I have been watching very very carefully. I've been out there every two hours or so...including up till midnight last night (5/10)...No change, except it actually looked like it has closed up a little more...

Then, today...5/11/06....I took some pictures this morning; midday; and late this afternoon...It doesn't look promising....this looks like it has closed up even more... We'll see what tomorrow brings, but....I have this strange feeling that this particular blossom is not going to open any further...Hmmmm.
Here is how one of the other blossoms looked at that same hour of the day today.... Gee....I'm hoping this one and some of the others are going to open at least to where the one above did...!

UPDATE: Saturday, May 13th,: I realize today that in all these years that George has 'bloomed' I had never actually seen the George Flowers open up completely. I have thought all these years that I just missed them opening....Well, I now know that as far as I can tell, they just don't open up any more than that second photograph at the top! Disappointng? You bet. Cause in my mind I pictured these flowers as being absoluteley fantasic. Well, it is possible that one of these things will open up more, but I honestly do not think so.

So, the next step that I have been aware of, after seeing these bulbus things developing for all these years is what is starting to happen now. You see how the bottom of the pod is now beginning to get fatter than the top part? In that first picture the top looks fatter...Now, the bottom is just starting to get more bulbus than the top, and the top looks much thinner than it did in those top two pictures. This photo above, was taken today, 5/13 about a half hour ago...(2:00pm), and just in the these two days, you can see that the bottom is fatter again than it was on Thursday. This photo was taken at about 3:pm today, as well....What is taking place now is the formation of the fruit. These flowers turn into fruit with all the little seeds inside...Those teeny tiny buttons...which is what we started with back in February, will become these round seed pods...The bottom getting fatter is the beginning of this process. I honestly don't know how long this takes because this is the first time I've photographed the daily (sort of) progess...I'll be following this very closely. And of course, if any of these flower people open up more than that top one, you'll know about it!

MOTHERS DAY: 5/14/06....Well, this was my Mothers Day present this morning...It was not easy to get these pictures because I had to stand on a pretty big ladder and push another plant out of the way...(lol) but...here is one of the blossoms closer to the top of George... It's a very overcast morning here in Los Angeles. Typical May-June weather...and because this is on the upper side of George where there isn't as much light, it looks a bit dark for 10:15 in the morning.


Below is a slightly closer picture, taken about two hours later and the sun has finally broken through the gloom...I'm thrilled that another one of these baby's has opened this far and I thank God for this gift today, because these flowers and plants are God's Gifts. Nature. Nothing like it. I'll be watching closely for the next step in this opening process....
This one snapped while I was as high up on the ladder as I could get, so we see a tiny bit more of the inside of this flower.....


And in case any of you have forgotten what "George" looks like, or have never seen a picture of George...Here he is, with some of his flower pods visible...more are around the other side where you cannot see them except when I take these many many pictures of them...So, here's dear George.... I love Sundays up here on the hill.....no traffic, no trucks parked in front of my house doing work at the house next door...no other trucks up the hill at the construction site, possibly a passer-by or two, taking a walk with their dog....but mostly it is quiet.....quiet and peaceful and beautiful...peaceful enough to lose myself in the inside of that flower....and I am reminded of why I moved up here in the first place all those many years ago...

I hope everybody had a wonderful day yesterday...












24 Comments:
Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Nice to meet you, tall George! you are very right, Naomi: Nature. Nothing like it! thanks for the pics (careful with ladders!) and now I am only missing to greet and meet your new site design *wink*

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 2:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I hope your Mother's Day was nice as well. That is some cactus ! Did you watch the last episode of The West Wing last night? What did you think?

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 3:53:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I know my prior comment is awaiting moderation, I am just showing off my avatar this time, which I meant to do ages ago. Only had it for haloscan comments, now you can see my cup here too ! :)

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 4:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

George reminds me of Larry from Veggie Tales. Of course, Larry is a cucumber not a cactus, but they're both tall, green, and handsome :o)

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 5:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fantastic shots! You really have talent in photography.

Have a great week ahead.

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 5:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love that you have been taking these progress photos. It's fun to really watch and pay such close attention isn't it? :)

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 8:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

ok..how the heck did you get that high for the picture??? ladder?? or is that wall a whole lot shorter then it looks? lol..

I'm glad you finally got to see George's flower!!

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 8:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

George is very interesting! Amazing how these things of nature work isn't it?

You be VERY careful up on a ladder Naomi! We don't want any accidents, okay???

Thanks for another great post and sharing nature's beauty with it. It's so interesting!

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 9:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Way to go, George! :)

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 10:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

George is quite handsome!! Great photos Naomi, but standing on a tall ladder....you had me worried!!
You be careful, I don't want to hear you have hurt yourself getting these great pictures!

As always, a pleasure visiting you! Now I can't wait to see your new design!

*hugs*

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 10:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi,
I hope you also enjoyed a wonderful weekend. Keeping on eye on George seems like it was at least a full-time job.
I thought, as I read your account what an incredible teacher you would have been. Is it possible you ever taught?
You and The Silver Fox Maria never cease to interest and inform. And of course being beautiful couldn't hurt either of you in the classroom! I wish I'd had teachers like you.
Have a super week and yes, watch those ladders!
love,
lucyd
BTW. I'm anxious to see your site's new look. I'm dying to change mine as well.

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 11:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello George,
A very handsome man

I was looking forward to your new template I will check back

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 1:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That was nice of you to show us George. He is tall. You mean those pictures you just showed are all attached to that George? Very nice.

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 3:30:00 PM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

I can take care of cacti! I can. I swear it.

Love the new template by the way. :)

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 4:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

OH MY GAWD!!!.. your new look is beautiful Naomi!!! Congratulations on the great look!!!

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 4:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

IT LOOKS GREAT!

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 5:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh My Gosh Naomi!!!!! If I didn't have to sit to type I'd be jumping up & down! I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this design. It is 100% totally YOU! Absolutely ravishing!

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 6:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm with you. I'm all about those quiet Sundays, particularly in the morning. No one headed out for work, no one rush, rush, rushing around. Calm and quiet. I love it.

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 6:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

LOVE, LOVE your new template, dear Naomi! Absolutely wonderful! The gorgeous flower at the banner, the green colour, all are BEAUTIFUL!!
And your pictures are stunning, fantastic! Congratulations!

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 7:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I LOVE the new template, Naomi, so lush and green and growing, just like George and your other cacti!

How nice of him to flower on Mother's Day, and how interesting to see the progression of the flowers, even if they are not spectacular.

Re: my post...The hot oil massage would have cost (without the gift card) $85 and then a tip of $13-15. I suppose I could afford it more often, but I am not used to treating myself that well....LOL

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 8:44:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Do you suppose George should be called "Georgette"? Tell him I said this with the utmost respect. Hope you and Sweetie had a good day. My kitties sent me a card (with the help of my Nyssa) and it was very adorable.

Love the new layout, what are those unique green flowers called?

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 8:49:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

wonderful design, it is just elegant, delicate, clear, absolutely a delight to the eye!!!congratulations on your new perfect look! and how nice that now I always know what the time is in CA!

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 10:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well look at you Aunty all green and lush and fresh looking !
I love it :)
BTW I just read the sign next to George ummm does that mean if we show up unannounced men with guns will come and surround us ?
I promise to call ahead LOL

Monday, May 15, 2006 at 11:35:00 PM PDT 

Blogger jen
had this to say:

What a fun group of photos! Nature is an amazing thing. I wish we could have some George out here, in the mid-west.
Thanks for the George-tale. I will await more great shots and stories to boot.
hope you had a nice mother's day :)
jen

Tuesday, May 16, 2006 at 4:13:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.