Tuesday, June 20, 2006
and how about more or less?

Terri over at Island Writer asked me if when I was a child and we stayed in Florida during those winter months that I have been writing about, did we go to school...This is a great question because we did indeed go to school. That's me on the far left...I love my little sailor pants...Those first years when I was very young we went to a school called The Lear School. This was it in this photo above. It was not a Public School---at least I don't think it was...I have some strange memories of that school...somehow unpleasant...somehow connected to bathrooms...whatever it was it left me always feeling that I didn't like The Lear School, at all. Here is another photograph of the little Musical Band that some of us were in.

I love that the instrument I was given to play was 'The Triangle'. Can you believe these Band Uniforms? Look at the stripe going down my pants...And those hats...Help Us Oh Nurse! I think I was three or four here... I am the one way over on the left once again....it is strange because just looking at these pictures makes me feel uncomfortable. I really wish I could remember what happened at this school...or, maybe I really am glad I don't remember. Many people sitting over on the side---I guess there for 'the concert'...oh no...they are all more band members.

The next school that we went to was named The Normandy School and it was a private school that was on Normandy Isle. This was run by a man named Leo Huberman and his wife who's name I cannot remember. I loved this school. Not at first, but as time went on. I have no real pictures of the school, but I have a picture of me during the time we went to The Normandy School on the grounds of the school. Classes were held outdoors at tables with big umbrella's. There were at most, four children in each class and the actual school day was only in the morning from 8am to Noon. Every year when we returned to our classes in the Public School in Great Neck we would be way ahead of all the students in the class. So much individual attention was most certainly the reason. I think home schooling is a great alternative to our Public School System, certainly the way it is now. The Normandy School certainly had elements of 'home schooling...and I remember having a wonderful teacher at this school...pretty important componant I think. One thing I remember very clearly that I saw near the schoool quite a bit was a Chain Gang working fixing something in the streets. We knew it was a chain gang because all the prisoners had on striped black and white shirts and pants...and, oh yes, they were chained in leg irons---a rather big clue, wouldn't you say?....Seeing these men like that was kind of scary as I recall.

Moving on to another place...I have mentioned 'The Farm'. This wonderful house in Pennsylvania that my parents built. Here is a picture of part of the front of the house, before the landscaping was done, 1937 I think.... And then here is a photograph of my mother with someone but I'm not sure who...She is standing outside the front entrance to the house as seen in the photo above...it is Summer....she is on the left. They called the place "Huckleberry Hill Farm" because the entire hill was covered with Huckleberry's. One of the things we did every summer was pick enormous amounts of Huckleberry's and box them and then sell them to one of the big hotels that was in the area...Buck Hill Falls for one and Skytop for another...it is interesting to note that at that time both these very exclusive Hotels were 'Restricted'. Yes. No Jews were allowed...kind of like the movie "Gentleman's Agreement". And the irony in this was that here we were, a Jewish family, selling these many hundreds of boxes of berries all picked and boxed by our mostly Jewish hands. (And incidentally, the money that we made from the berries was always donated to a different charity each summer...) Here is Robin feeding someone, (again I don't know who), some berries and I am over to the right in the photograph...I believe that the first time I became aware of overt anti-semitism was driving to the farm...there were all these small summer hotels along the roadside in South Sterling not far from the farm...one in particular had a really big sign under their Hotel sign that was right there by the roadside for all to see---in fact, you couldn't miss it---and it said, 'No Dogs Or Jews'. I love that The Jews got second billing to the dogs...! It's not disimilar to the places that used to have signs out front that said 'No Dogs Or Actors'. Amazing that people always got second billing to the dogs! Man's best friend indeed.






More on the farm tomorrow...


****Don't forget my "Virtual" Birthday Party....12:01 am on June 27th going till about 10 am on June 28th. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to come....








21 Comments:
had this to say:

wow, that was some "farm"!! gorgeous!! That door alone is fantastic! but then I love wood and stones ..

it's almost B'day time!! woohoo~~

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 4:44:00 AM PDT 

Blogger OMH
had this to say:

How bad is that I'm not looking to your birthday getting here?

I know that this walk down memory lane is only building up to the birthday - and I am so enjoying the stroll with you!

Keep the memories flowing!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 7:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

i agree - that door was beautiful! and those old photos were lovely! ;)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 7:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your memories are very moving Naomi. The childhood is a complex time of our life. When I see my childhood's photos they made me get teary eyed, maybe because they bring back my life, my happiness, my sadness, my fear, my hope, the unknown future ....

So beautiful the "Farm", your Pennsylvania's house. As always, I love all these photos, principally because they are from you, my dear Naomi!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 7:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I wish my house looked like "the farm"! Beautiful

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 7:49:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

On those band uniforms, may I just say that I love the capes.

Makes you look super.

:)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 7:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks so much for sharing those photos! And thanks, too, for stopping by my blog the other day.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 10:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my goodness

I had no idea that Jew hating when on here?!?!

I am amazed when I hear my great grandparents stories about it....that time I mean.

But they had stories of Russia

I love those pictures. ahhh makes me want to eat fresh berries :)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 11:10:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

That door and the home was fabulous. Is it still there today? I'm not sure I would ever want to leave that hilltop.

I think my grandmother had huckleberries, no I believe it was gooseberries, growing along the fence row in the farm yard. Those were the tartest berries, a real zing to your mouth.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 12:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Okay, the band uniforms that we had to wear in school were bad, but not as bad as what you had to wear. :-)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 12:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

­
What a beautiful "farm!" I love the doorway...such architecture!

Those signs are horrible that you had to read. It is disgusting that man could hate like that.

Your band uniform was.....cute, yeah, that's the word! ;)

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 2:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That house looks like a mansion! Those sailor pants are adorable! omgosh you were such a cute little girl. And the band uniform, YOU GO GIRL!!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 3:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great memories.

Of course, I'll be at your virtual party. I'm already excited.

Cheers to a lovely day!

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 4:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That was an awesome farm. That house didn't belong to the farm. It was far too lovely to be there.
Your pictures are lovely. You really showed your art in entertainment even when you were young.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 5:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As always, I love these little glimpses into your past, Naomi. Great photos, too. I can't imagine how I would have felt reading those signs, and I am sorry that you had to see and know about them.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 7:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my Naomi!! That grand home for that many years ago!! I would have thought your family were very rich indeed! Love how that entrance is made!

Great school photos. I like it that you got to play the triangle! How neat!! Those outfits!! That sure must bring back so many memories for you.

You are doing a great job with this Naomi. The excitement mounts as your birthday party draws closer each day!! .....Now what shall I wear..........

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 7:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Okay...can I say it....other than the "interesting" band uniforms, you wore the cutest clothes as a kid! I love that outfit in the first picture.

What an incredible farm! An absolutely beautiful building.

It is interesting to hear about your schools (I, too, had wondered if you attended school in Florida).

A side note--thank you for your comment on my blog about that picture. I drew that about 3 months ago and it is the only things that I have ever drawn that I liked when I was done...and to have someone who is a real artist compliment that was very special.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 8:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

what i just discovered by reading your interesting posts - is that age doesn't matter in blogland ... you just have 23 years more life experience then i have, and your stories and pictures are really wonderful ... great read ...

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 8:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

those are great pictures.

michele sent me tonight.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 11:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I think that school restrooms probably have bad memories for many people. Since the teachers didn't always frequent the kid's restrooms, the bullies could get away with stuff and that was a good place to try - not many witnesses of the adult kind at least. I'm glad you don't remember it. Just the feeling is enough I think. I'm glad the other school had such better memories. :)

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 at 3:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The farm had stunning views and the house was gorgeous.
"Interesting" band uniform lol.
I have pictures of my mother in her marching band uniform it was almost that interesting too.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 at 7:24:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.