Sunday, June 18, 2006
sometimes, less is less!

Since this is Father's Day I thought I would post a number of pictures of my father...This one above, I took in 1978...He had just gotten up from a nap while lying on my couch and I asked him to let me take a few pictures. I think there were maybe 9 photographs in all (this picture taking thing made him impatient, sort of...well, truthfully it didn't take much to make him impatient, so he would only allow me to take 9 photographs)--3 or 4 of them were with his wife Olga...the other 5 were of him alone standing outdoors in front of my garage. I particularly love this photograph because it captured these two distincts sides of my father---the tough business man and the vulnerable sensitive little boy that still existed inside him...

This next photograph was taken in Florida at a wonderful place that we went to every day after school and on the weekends--all day--called The Everglades Cabana Club. It had a huge almost Olmpic size pool and there were these Cabana's that were there to rent...this was so that you would have a place to change and leave your stuff so you wouldn't have to carry it all with you every day... And since our family was seven people including Mema, my father rented a Cabana for the winter months while we were in Florida. This was probably around 1939-40...a very typical moment caught in time--Daddy reading a magazine or the paper....You can see the ocean behind him...nothing is as it was on this beach in 1939-40...this club is long long gone, beach front property becoming so very precious in the late 40's...

This next photograph is Florida, again. Our house on North Bay Road--the back yard actually....here are my mother and father...this was just a tiny snapshot that I had blown up because I wanted very much to see better what was happening between them at the time this photograph was taken. Once again, this picture, I believe, tells you a lot about what was happening to them and with them at the time. My mother, if you really look carefully appears almost as if she might burst into tears at any moment...the way she has her hand around his shoulder and her other hand almost trying to cover his hand...there's a kind of desperate feeling about her to me...and Daddy looks like he would like to pull away, doesn't he? Yes, he is smiling, but...there is something else going on here...

This next photograph taken just before my parents seperated, this is not exactly a 'happy' family. My brother Gordon and I look the most obviously unhappy...the way Gordon looks, breaks my heart.

We all had so many mixed feelings about both my mother and my father, but I think more about Daddy Joe....he was elusive in many ways...not present...rather remote, and mostly disinterested....all these things loomed very large over all of us but I think for Gordon being the only boy--not a good position with Daddy who's need for the the full spolight was always great and he surely didn't want the competition of another male in the family--he made Gordon's life miserable a lot of the time. And for me, being the youngest and my parents struggling with their relationship even before I was born...all of that conflicictedness lived within me...One try's to overcome these things as best one can...

Here, on this Fathers Day, 25 years after my father died, I post this last photograph of him with me, in 1978...this was at a party given by Betsy & Oliver Hailey...a wonderfully talented couple--both writers, he--a very talented playwright, she--an extremely successful novelist....They generously gave a party in honor of this Art Opening of mine and because my father and Robin & Gene were all there...a rare and unheard of happening in my life... Gee...I just realized this is somewhat like my mother kind of grabbing him all those many years before...well, at least he doesn't look like he'd like to get away...(lol)...The round piece of Jewelry that I am wearing in this photo was actually given to me by Daddy Joe. At the time I was quite young and it truly was not something a teenager would ever wear....but, as you can see, I grew into it...!

More will be revealed....






****Reminder: The "Virtual" Birthday party to which you are all invited will be here in 9 nine days! It begins at 12:01am on June 27th and will go to around 10:00am on June 28th, when we will all probably be very stuffed and also very hung over...and just think, this will happen without you eating or drinking anything! That is the beauty of the "Virtual" party...See you there, I hope...****







21 Comments:
had this to say:

Happy almost birthday. I was a catching up on your last couple of posts. I love how you have photos of your childhood along side of ones of your life in entertainment. It gives such a well rounded view of your life all at onc. Michele sent me.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 2:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me to see you early on Father's Day, Naomi.

I don't see the sadness in your face nor your brother's in that picture, Naomi, but you were there. You'd know. To me you seem a little bored by the picture taking, and Gordon... pensive, maybe?

It's interesting to see the changes that time made in your father as well as the family dynamics that the pictures reflect. You definitely looked like you wanted to hang on to him at the party in 1978, Naomi. That's a great picture. The one taken in the club on the beach was really nice too. Definitely a slice of history, By the time I first visited Florida in the early 70s nothing like that existed anymore.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 3:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

wouldn't it be amazing to know what was on the minds of those in photo's?!... we think we know from expressions and body language but because it's just one tiny second there's really no telling...

love the last shot of your and your dad..

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 4:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

pretty good insights on those photos, naomi. good to know that your relationship became better as time passed. love the last pic of you and your dad at the party. you looked happy then. ;)

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 6:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, you have been making a wonderful job! Those photos can describe a life's history. Thank you so much for sharing the joyful moments and the sad moments of your life. Really the life is made of all this kind of moments.

It's very beautiful and interesting the way that you understand your life through those photos. You have a great sensibility and wisdom to catch in each one’s photos, the glance, the posture and the meaning of a life.
Love so much your last photo, from you and your Father on the Father's Day. Just beautiful and amorous photo!

I have an extraordinary book about photography by Roland Barthes, it’s Camera Lucida : Reflections on Photography (Paperback). I bet you will like this book. This is Roland Barthes's last work. While mourning the death of his mother and searching for photos of her as a child, he writes about photography and the ways it affects and attracts the viewer. http://www.alibris.com/search/search.cfm?qwork=897041&matches=21&qsort=r

I am looking forward for tomorrow!Have a nice Sunday!

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 6:42:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I just want to tell you once more how much I am enjoying this. Thanks for sharing your pictures, they are all so well kept, you certainly have treasured them over the years. And regarding your virtual party: nope, I won't be eating but I will most certainly raise a real glass of champagne and have a virtual birthday toast on your day!! cheers!

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 8:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've always found it fascinating to look at old pictures and wonder what was going on when they were taken. And almost everyone who sees them has a different interpretation of it!

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 8:41:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

That first picture is a great one. Life was so different then, the roles in a family more stringently defined. People are greatly affected by their parents and have to struggle to learn differently.

My dad had a grass roots midwestern farm family who gave big warm hugs, worked hard together and had big giving hearts open to family and others in their community. The depression brought out the best in these simple country folks and I am the better for it.

I am getting so excited about this party.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 9:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Again a wonderful set of photos and trip down memory lane even if they aren't the happiest memories. Seeing these makes me regret all the photos that have been lost over the years (many through a flood and others after various family deaths).

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 10:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I know this brings back so many memories for you Naomi. Thanks for sharing. It's very interesting!! Great post for Father's Day!

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 12:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have found the only electronic copy of the only surviving photograph of my whole original family....

I may blog it, I think....

You have inspired me to be strong with your wonderful words, Naomi :-)

cq

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 12:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

hello darling!

what an interesting post. yet again.

i love coming here and learning these things of your remarkable life.

wonderful pictures and a bitter sweet insight.

congratulations on your impending birthday.. i will try to cme back to say hi on the day.

have a lovely week darling!

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 1:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Mmmmm.....your dad does look like "Spencer Tracy!" Great post. I see that your silver streak is still intact. Great pictures as always.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 1:29:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Amy
had this to say:

These are such great pictures. I love the way black & white photos tend to show more emotion in them than color pics do. I think it is because there is nothing distracting from the person in the photo, so you are more focused on them and their expressions. Lovely

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 2:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

the photo of your mom and dad is very telling. she definitely looks like she is trying to hold on to someone who is trying to get away. and yes, the later photo of you and he looks similar. he is not comfortable being kept near, it seems.

i think i will bring a lovely cheesecake to your virtual party, if that's alright? strawberry? cherry? chocolate?

here via miss michele.

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 3:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This is a lovely memoir post. I enjoyed reading it.

Thanks for participating in the Blog Olympics Training Camp!

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 4:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi - your dad looks so much like my grandfather. Maybe we are long lost relatives! :)

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 5:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am new here. This post was amazing. I was thinking the same thing as Chatty..that your father reminds me very much of my grandfather. By any chance Italian?

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 8:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am new here and I loved this post. I am thinking like Chatty - your Dad looks a lot like MY Grandfather. By any chance Italian?

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 8:26:00 PM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

This is exactly why people say the one thing they'd save froma burning building is all their photos.

:)

Sunday, June 18, 2006 at 9:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

A friend of yours sent us over to wish you happy birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

GKS

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 at 4:40:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.