Monday, June 19, 2006
and sometimes more is more

Here are Gordon and me and Gene around 1945-46. We are standing by this old Packard Town Car (I don't remember the year...) that had been on stilts all through WW2 because of gas rationing. We didn't have the right gas coupons to even use the car once a week, so up on stilts it went. Just about this time, my mother took it down and Gordon would drive it. All of our friends called it The Black Mariah...it did look like a Hearse!
Another picture from that same time with the three of us inside the car...We all did love that car even though it was pretty silly...but it got us where we needed to go and so no one cared, really. It was pretty amusing to see my mother behind that wheel. (By this time my parents were now divorced.) It is interesting what is important and what isn't important to people. I don't think any of us ever bought a car for the "status" of it. Of course we had to like it, but it wasn't because it was 'the thing' to do, ever. Well, think about it...here we were riding around in a car that was probably ten years old in 1945...maybe some of you car buffs will know what year this car was...1934-35-36?


I always thought this next picture was a rather sweet photograph of me.
Reno, Summer of 1945. The war in Europe was over and all the troops were being sent to the West Coast on their way to Japan and all the islands that were held by the Japanese. We---Gene, Gordon, my mother of course, and me...traveled by train to Reno to get "our divorce".
You could barely get a compartment let alone the next bigger accomodation. From Chicago to Reno the four of us shared a very very crowded compartment---my mother on the top bunk, Gene and myself on the bottom bunk and poor Gordon, on the floor! We were happy to get it. The train was packed with soldiers, sailors and marines who of course had priority. We stayed on a so called Ranch outside of Reno...a place called Truckee which was not really a town at all. It had nothing except...a Post Office that was also the Jail and the Library, ALL in a very small one-room type building. They also sold gum, candy, cigarettes and movie magazines. (I knew that the movie magazines had to be better here because we were so close to California....the California border was just a mile away from the Ranch...)

I remember being awakened one morning in the middle of July by a horrific noise and it seemed--the earth was shaking all around us...this was of course the testing of "the bomb" in Alamogordo, NM, 21 days before the actual bombs were dropped on Hiroshima & then, three days after the first bomb, Nagasaki, thus ending the war in the the Pacific. A horrendous thing to have perpetrated on humanity though the consenus at the time was that many lives were ultimately saved by these two bombs. Does this sound familiar?

Here is a photograph from the summer of 1947....Los Angeles. Me, sitting on a car. Is that a Chevy? I think so...again dear car buffs correct me if I am wrong. I do not remember why my mother decided it would be a good thing to do...spending the summer in Los Angeles...but Gene was about to become a Sophomore at USC and so she was already living in Los Angeles. And Robin and Bobby were in Pasadena for the summer, too.
Gene hated that summer. Hated living in that little house on Le Doux...not because it was little, but because (I think) she was ready to not be with 'the family' so much...her relationship with my mother was always strained...more so in 1947 than ever. We shared a room on Le Doux, just as we had in Reno...I don't think she was happy about that either...I was thrilled to be in Los Angeles...thrilled to be so close to Hollywood...but it was not an easy summer for me...I had to go to summer school taking French and Social Studies, having failed both subjects that year in school...OY!


And also, a very humilating thing had happened...I was put on my first doctor's diet...Yes, overweight and sent to a doctor who put me on dexidrine...! Help Me Nurse! I couldn't take it because it made me too jumpy. This doctor suggested I learn to play tennis! Even back then some doctors recommended excersize. This was Harvey Snodgrass, The Pro who was with The Beverly Hills Hotel. He taught Tennis and I was a beginner. I don't think I was very good at it at all. I can't say I ever liked playing Tennis and after that summer I never played it again. This is the court at the Beverly Hills Hotel. That is the fat me. It wouldn't be the last time I put on weight and took it off, too

And since I seem to be posting pictures of cars today...here is a really wonderful one...This was a beautiful green color as I recall...A packard convertible, another Packard like The Black Mariah...This is Florida, once again....like 1939 maybe.... And one more car...this one is really old! Florida, once again!
The year was probably 1936 or 1937....and in the background is this wonderful old Station Wagon...and we are---from top to bottom, Robin, Gene, Gordon & me....




More will be forthcoming...





****Party Reminder...12:01 am on June 27th till about 10 am on June 28th...We will be Celebrating my 75th Birthday...."Virtually"! Be prepared to enjoy yourselves, or you will be sent to "virtual" jail--do not pass go...(lol)







22 Comments:
Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Lovely pics and stories. Have a little link to you today, because of your first name, hope it is fine with you. Otherwise, pls let me know! have a lovely day. Looking at the countdown...!

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 3:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great pictures Naomi!!.. love the old cars.. I have one or two with old cars in them too.. boy wouldn't we like to have them now!! They'd be worth a fortune!! (little did we know!)

have a great day!

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 4:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful memories indeed. Enjoyed reading it.

Cheers!

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 5:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful shots, Naomi. We're just a little over a week away now. :-)

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 7:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great pictures again Naomi! This is so fascinating. Each day I can't wait to read another chapter in your life!! I'm sure others feel the same way. I love the old cars too.

Looking forward to the birthday party!

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 8:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, those are awesome photos! I'm just so impressed by the recollection you have of your youth and all the wonderful stories you tell. You're so good at it. And I'd like to wish you an early birthday. I'll make note of it and stop by...if my middle-aged mind doesn't fail me!

Here via Michele's and I'm so glad I am.

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 8:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Every morning I am truly amazed reading your memories and looking your great photos! Love all them! Those cars are beautiful!
Yes, I love the photo took in Reno, Summer of 1945, too.
I am looking forward to see more tomorrow! Have a nice day!

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 8:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Unfortunately blogger photo died as I was trying to uplaod my one and only family photo.

So my Monday Memory is something completely different! :-)

YOu know, these photos remind me a lot of my mother's memories. Also bittersweet. I wonder, are ALL family memories bittersweet??

But you, oh Naomi, you are our very own Hollywood Star! :-)

cq

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 1:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This is Monday and you're posting photos and memories, so I'll invite you to my blog and my Monday Memories. Maybe you know these guys--Hollywood types.

Great photos, and if I don't get back, happy, happy birthday.

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 3:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for the Memorys,It makes me smile!!It takes me back in time ,Beautiful thank you for sharing !!!The good old days ....

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 3:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Whew Auntie Em I just did a mammoth catch up read. My weekend got away from me so I didn't get a chance to read yesterday.
I am so enjoying these posts.
I love the old cars,growing up my friends father used to drive a restored 1930's car and we used to love sitting in the HUGE back seat feeling all proud of ourselves lol.

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 4:03:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Fabulous, as always. I'm always taken back to a better time when I read your posts! Thanks for always sharing your history.

From Michele's, but I'd have dropped in anyway!

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 5:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your thought that the movie magazines would have been better closer to California. That is really cute.

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 7:01:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

My mom has pictures like this as does my dad. I don't know what the fascination was with posing with cars but everyone did it then.

Great pics. You certainly building up the anticipation with this party.

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 7:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My most darling mishpocha Naomi,
I loved the essence of this post. The pics were great but what touched me is you. You, the growth, pain and irony (loved your use of the cars!) that made you the fascinating, loving woman you are today. I raise my glass to all of us old broads...May we really live until we die!
Much love,
lucyd

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 7:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just have to say it---when are you going to write a book??

All of the pictures with the cars are great!

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 8:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi - wonderful my dear friend - no other words - here we both are in the life reflection that only a big birthday brings. Thinking of you each day and counting down to the party. Hugs, Suzann

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 8:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Another wonderful post, Naomi. I am home, and working my way through the list of favorites. It will take forever to read all that I have missed! It's hardly worth going away!

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 9:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the pure elegance of 40s clothes, when you think of the lack of money around and lack of clothes available (clothes rationing in the UK) the women always looked so marvellous.

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 10:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Still reading and enjoying! Thank you so much for sharing your story. :)

Monday, June 19, 2006 at 10:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you so much for sharing! Its amazing to come and read your stories.

And I forgot to thank you for your comment on my blog. Its greatly appreciated.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 at 1:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love old cars - and the stories that go with them :)

Wednesday, June 21, 2006 at 3:34:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.