Saturday, June 24, 2006
and less and less could possibly be more

This was my mother's father, Grandpa Berman, who of course none of us ever new because he died when my mother was just nine years old. A rather dapper gentleman wasn't he? It was, I believe 1908 when he died and they say he was so huge that they had to build a special coffin for him. It is suspected...well, more than suspected...that he had Diabetes and probably Bright's Disease, too. After his death Mema went on by herself supporting her two young daughters. She had had a baby son who died when he was about a year old. So my mother had had a brother as well as her sister Ruth.

Here is Jen The Hen when she was probably about 19 or 20 years old...I'm really not sure about that...But this is a photograph of her that all of us have always loved...She was really very beautiful, wasn't she? She had on her 'nurses' uniform. She worked in a doctors office during this period. She wasn't a trained nurse but certainly acted in the capacity of nurse-helper-appointment keeper. Things were simpler back then. Most doctors had offices by themselves and did not have 'partners'. And if they had a person in the office helping them, it was usually just one woman and she did everything. This was maybe 1920-1921.

Another really pretty picture of Jen The Hen...this was taken maybe a few years later than the above photograph. I think mother and daddy were already married by this time...again, I'm not sure of the timing here...I just know I love this photograph of her. I don't think she thought of herself as a pretty woman. I know that the only man I ever saw her 'with' was Daddy...and I don't think she ever got over him. They had such a long history...they knew each other from the time they were nine years old...(I think she met him soon after her father died---and that death was a big blow to her...)..They were married for twenty years. And as far as I know, he was the only man she gave her heart to for all those many many years...and when it was over, in certain ways it was never really over for her, even though there was so very much about their relationship that was a struggle and stressful, etc., and in so many ways what was important to each of them was very very different.

This next photograph was taken when my parents took a trip to Europe and visited the place where Daddy grew up in Latvia. They took his mother with them so that she could visit a lot of the family that was still there at that time. This was 1928.... Mother is standing in the row behind all those older ladies who are seated...she is almost in the center in a dark dress with what looks like a flower on her dress. Daddy's mother is seated on the far right of the photograph and Daddy is in the back row the second man from the right. I do not know who any of these other people are except I am sure they are relatives...and so here was the little poor boy who left Latvia at six years old, now grown up and a man, who lived out The American Dream, and had come back to visit 'the old country'. The little boy that 'made good' in America. Later...before the Nazi's got too horrible, Daddy sent for all of his relatives so they could come to this country.

It is interesting to note that I never understood why our life style changed so drastically after my parents split up. It took me till I was almost fifty years old to realize the truth of why our life changed so much. It was because he took our life-style with him. You see, it was never for us...it was only for him. A very very painful realization. So I had to finally come to terms with three very important words. 'He didn't care'.

Skipping around in time as I like to do...here is yet another photograph when I was around three years old, taken at the same time as that very sweet picture of me with Gordon. Here I am alone, well...not completely alone.... There is this little dog that I am holding onto with one of my hands anyway---for dear life. Look at how I am clutching that hard little creature. I honestly have no memory of this toy dog except for these photograph. Gee, I am really cute!

So then I say....how did that little girl become this mature woman? And a 'touched up' picture, at that! This was taken by Seemah Wilder's husband Bill Idelson...and the lines I saw on my cheek...oy...Well, this was for 'publicity' once again, so I couldn't leave all those lines there...Well, since I am going to be F***ing 75 years old in a few days....here is another shot, taken at the same time but completely un-touched.... Well...what the hell....let it all hang out...sort of...right? There are a lot more of those chicken tracky things on my face now than there was in these photo's...Oy. The 'touched up' photo is the one I use if need be for publicity....it is what appears in the S.T.A.G.E. Ad Journal where my Bio is....I think it is time for a new one.

I always liked these next pictures...again, this was supposed to be for publicity for my first one-woman Art Show at Ankrum Gallery, 1968-69...I was really really thin here and I love that my hair is blowing in the wind. I don't like that I have a cigerette in my hand...the always ever 'present' cigarette....It would be just a little over a year from these photo's that I gave them up completely and forever. It is now 35 1/2 years that I have not smoked. I wish I could tell you that has made a difference in my lungs. I can't. I can say, I would have been dead if I hadn't given them up when I did.

This is a reproduction of a painting that was on the announcement of this show that I had in San Francisco, November, 1973. The colors are all much brighter and vibrant, but....it's better than nothing. It was a fantastic Opening. So very many people came up to San Francisco from Los Angeles. We all stayed in the same hotel and I had a big dinner for all the people who had made 'the trip'. I found some other photo's of the opening just tonight...I haven't downloaded them yet so I'll have to post them at another time....but, here is just one. That important man, again.....


More will be revealed on the morrow....

And just before I go....here is this appropriate thingy:


Your Birthdate: June 27



You are a spiritual soul - a person who tries to find meaning in everything.

You spend a good amount of time meditating, trying to figure out life.

Helping others is also important to you. You enjoy social activities with that goal.

You are very generous and giving. Yet you expect very little in return.



Your strength: Getting along with anyone and everyone



Your weakness: Needing a good amount of downtime to recharge



Your power color: Cobalt blue



Your power symbol: Dove



Your power month: September

What Does Your Birth Date Mean?




****And so...another little reminder of the coming "Virtual" Birthday Party...Get out your Glad Rags...and your Bling...(Craziequeen is dustimg hers off as we spreak! ) Remember, the fun begins at 12:01am, June 27th, and will continue till about 10:00am, on June 28th...I'm getting very excited....!











25 Comments:
had this to say:

You and your Mum are both very beautiful!! Thanks for popping by my blog! This M&G thing is kind of fun!!!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 1:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi, I have been enjoying reading what you have written about your life. It must be wonderful to look back on such a rich one.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 2:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love seeing all your old photos and the stories behind them. I love the pictures of your mother, she was very beautiful!! And I actually like the 'untouched' photo of you better than the other one. I think you look damn fine for 75!!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 3:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved all the pictures, your Mom was beautiful, and you are, too!

That "important man" has a lovely smile :-)

We share a birthday month; mine just passed (22)

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 5:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

those pictures of your mom are gorgeous!!

isn't it amazing what they can do in photo's now?! My friend DeForest was given a promo pic of himself and it was airbrushed.. he got made and said "i'm old dammit, so what!"... but then.. he was a man, he could get away with that!

The party is just around the corner!!! I hope you are having more then just a virtual party to celebrate!! But the virtual one is fun so far!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 5:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Good morning Naomi!
As always it's a great pleasure reading your memories. Your Mom is very beautiful and you is very beautiful too! Love so much your little girl's photo holding the dog. Your eyes are so lovely and so sweet!
I am looking forward to the Big Day! Have a nice Saturday!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 6:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

you kinda remind me of liz taylor, naomi. and i am only now beginning to realize how famous you seem to be. i knew you were talented but a gallery showing - several in fact! wow! ;)

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 6:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have great pictures and memories of your past. You should have joined the Monday Memories as you have lots of them to share.
Your photo is beautiful. Done or undone as I had said earlier. Beauty cannot be hidden. It will always prevail no matter what.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 7:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Whoa! Do you look like your mother or what!!?! I thought it was you! Fantastic shots. I just love these posts!

You're a hottie! LOL

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 8:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Another wonderful post. I like the "untouched" photo; you are beautiful. I am particularly enjoying the vintage photos. My daughter has taken it upon herself to scan all my old photos. (She is about half way through) I may start posting them.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 8:57:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MsT
had this to say:

Yes, your Mom is lovely and so are you. I like the unretouched photo much better. Hi from Michele from last night (couldn't get into comments.)

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 10:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos of your mom. And I love that little girl picture of you - so adorable! :)

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 1:38:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Your mother was indeed lovely. And I am so glad that your father had the sense of family enough to bring his over before Hitler had his way in Europe.

Your paintings are quite lovely as well. I wish there were some on display somewhere in New York as I plan on seeing as much art as possible next month.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 2:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The pictures of your mom remind me of the pretty girls in the Coca Cola ads. I'm all for the retouched for me, but you are beautiful in both! Here from Michele's!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 4:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I came here from Girl about towns blog :) I am a long Islander I grew up in Merrick, you were from Great Neck I read!
I love all your pictures and stories :)

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 4:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm not quite sure how I found your blog, but I have really enjoyed it so far. I have added you to my blogroll, I hope you don't mind. I know my friend Shephard will enjoy it as well. He is quite a theater buff and a lover of all things art. Thank you for sharing your life with us! Stacie

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 6:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The untouched photo is just fine. Airbrushing is a wonderous thing though isn't it. Then again it is always a shock when you meet someone in real life that you have only seen in mags or on screen ,usually a real WHOA they don't look that hot after all thanks goodness moment lol.

I will definitely bring the cookies AND the film crew with me on the 27th :)

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 6:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your mom was really beautiful. Of course you are too--I like the untouched picture. I once read something about how the lines on our faces tell the story of our lives...an interesting thought.

Anyway-the countdown is getting short-no bling for me, just comfy pjs, but I might pull out the silky ones for the occasion-comfy and dressy all at once!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 8:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love all the great pictures. You and your mother are both so pretty! Interesting reading about your life. You tell it so well with your great writing and your pictures!

I'm getting excited about the party!!!

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 8:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You are both gorgeous, Naomi, you and your mom. I discovered we have something else in common. I don't think my dad cared either. Are you ever going to tell us who the man is?

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 8:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I must know more about that very important man!!
Please, do tell!!!!!!!!!!

The photo of you clutching that toy is so darling.
What a beauty you were then, and you stayed a beauty - touched or untouched photos.

I agree with you. At 75, it's time to let it all hang out! A 75 year old with no wrinkles would be a freak of nature. But, Naomi, dear... please wear a bra.
Some things aren't meant to hang out. :)

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 9:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful collection fo photos . I can't figure out the point of touching up the wrinkles, because as soon as anyone sees you, they'll know you have them. I think the wrinkles are beautiful, anyway.
My youngest is turning 19 on June 27. I'll send a few birthday wishes your way, when we cut the cake
Michele sent me.

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 9:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi,
No bra or the industrial pointed number you had on in the last post's publicity pic. Hummmm. That's a tough one. But with a lovely face like yours who cares?

The important man is god-like. Truly, unbelieveably beautiful. So what happened? I hope you won't hold out on us with this one. I'm dying to hear.
And yes, your mom was exquisite but you father sounds like a self-centered son-of-a-bitch. You deserved so much better. I makes me so sad to think about it.
love, love and love,
lucyd

Saturday, June 24, 2006 at 10:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

wow darling that was absolutely lovely.

and how beautiful you are, and were. those old old photos with your hair blowing are lovely.

the painting is also. stunning. i would love to see more.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 3:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

well nayba -- you still look GREAT! Congratulations on a continually successful and rewarding life. Enjoyed the photos - as always

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 8:46:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.