Sunday, June 25, 2006
and more or less, more

This photograph is the most recent photo of me I have...from my Birthday Party in 2004...it's just a snapshot and it is an 'untouched up' one...and, I have a bra on as I did in that last picture in the shiny material from yeterday's post! (lol) I had to laugh when I read that two people---Lucy and Jamie Dawn thought I had no bra on in that picture---no, I have no bra on now! I actually had never noticed that THAT is how it looks...and I laughed because one of my claims to fame is being the first woman to appear Topless in a play 'on stage' at the Mark Taper Forum at The Music Center, here in Los Angeles....1970!

Somewhere I have some photographs of me and my fellow actress, Helen Page Camp, who also had to take off her bra...(after I took off mine, btw)...in the same play...They have been put away for 'safe-keeping' and I'm afraid I do not remember where the hell I put them...it is probably just as well....I have mentioned this somewhere in a previous post...so for now all I will say is...more about that will not be forthcoming at this time...

This was taken at the famed Cocoanut Grove in The Amassador Hotel. Food stained though it is, this was my 16th Birthday, 1947. What a thrill to be here in this now no longer functioning place...it had so much history. The Hotel of course had so much history, too...not the least of which was it being the place where Bobby Kennedy was shot the night of June 4th, 1968...a horrendous night, to say the least. Much later...in the early 1980's I joined the Amassador Hotel's Health and Tennis club and was probably in the best shape of my life during those years...swimming two and three miles a day. This wonderful place was a true haven...an Oasis if you will, in the middle of the city. But back to 1947...They would take these photo's and then bring them to you just before you were ready to depart the club and they would be in this wonderful 'cover'. Many years later...in the mid 1960's...I saw Barbra Striesand there in that wonderful room...She was so very young at the time...the voice was amazing to say the least, but I remember saying to Scott Marlowe one of the people who I went with...'wait till she has "lived" and experienced a lot in her life...she will be even more phenomenol'...I wasn't wrong about that, was I? (lol)

Since I seem to be posting Birthday Party Pictures, here is a photo of me, and two incredibly talented men...the superb actor, Dick Davalos and the truly amazing and funny Dom DeLuise...this was my 65th Birthday at my dear sweet friend Betty G.'s house....and what a bash that was! It is almost impossible to fathom that it was ten years ago...! I have no idea what I was laughing at, but I sure was laughing hard!

At that same party, here is another photograph. Way over to the extreme left is the brilliant Painter Morris Broderson who I have writtten about and plan to again, soon....We are standing outside on Betty's back patio...Betty has her back to the camera. Next to her on her left is her older son, Garrett, then me, and a side-view of Kenny Welch, and just sort of behind him to the side is the brilliantly talented actress/writer Leslie Caveny, and last but not least, Betty's other son, Andy, who is also a very very talented actor. He is on the far right of the picture. I have a Bra on here, too though it sure doesn't look like it. Low slung, you know? Always was and will be...worse now that I am 'getting on'...

This is a milestone photo too, but for different reasons. This was the 'signing of the Marriage License' photo, at Garrett Parks and Karen Culliver's Wedding, at which I was the "Officiant" in my capacity as a Minister in the Universal Life Church---which is no Church at all. Because it is Non-Demoninational that makes me the perfect choice if people do not want a religious wedding but they do want to have a ceremony that covers many religious affiliatios...if that is the case, then I'm your Gal! Or in this case, I was and am a close friend of the family, which makes for a very personal ceremony. This was November, 1991. A beautiful wedding in the back garden at Betty's home in Studio City.

And here is another important wedding picture: Audrey & Michael Franks. Michael's parents are very very old friends of mine. In fact, I met Michael's Dad, Danny, in 1954, before he met his dear wife Ruth...and, I was at Michael's briss...Now how is that for spanning some very important times in a young man's life? Ruth and Danny and three of their six children knew my mother, too...So, within the space of two weeks time I officiated at two weddings that had so much meaning for me as well as for the people getting married. Both were very emotional experiences. This was October, 1991.

And back to a Birthday Photograph. This is a Birthday Lunch at Harrod's, in London, 1993. I am sitting with Charley Berliner and the photograph is being taken by Betty's couson Carol Smith, who had arranged for the Pipers to come by and play Happy Birthday to me!
Now how fantastically special is that? This was on Saturday, June 26th, the day before my Birthday which as many of you may recall was spent in The Cotswolds....


More on the morrow, my dear ones....








****Reminder: The "Virtual" Birthday Gathering will begin at 12:01am on June 27th and go till around 10:00am on June 28th...And dear Wendy is going to bring her special Virtual Cookies...my favorite, of coyrse...Chocolate Chocolate Chunk!****








30 Comments:
had this to say:

how lovely to see those birthday pictures!

and the first woman topless huh?! fabulous! though i always knew you were.

thank you for sharing these darling. now i'm off down below to cathch up some more very interesting looking posts :)
here via michele darling. doing my weekly catch up!

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 3:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

ok i've just come back from reading all these remebrance posts and i just wanted to say what an absolute joy it has been!

wonderful photos, and heartwarming/breaking memmories.

thank you so much for letting us into this, your world.
beautiful. and breathtaking.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 4:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy birthday two days early. That cake looks great!

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 4:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love birthday parties and I think we should all have one ... at least one a year! What do you reckon? So many of the women I teach with say once you get to my age you don't want to celebrate ... well I want to celebrate all of them!

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 5:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

chocolaete chocolate chunk? well that's reason enough for me to show! anticipating the festivities :)

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 5:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I hope this pictorial of you never ends, as I am really enjoying it. The last pic you mention seems to have disappeared. I had that trouble yesterday when I was trying to post frog photos. It was frustrating. Looking forward to more....

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 6:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so loving all the pictures! lol.. and I so hope you are having some sort of "real life" celebration as well as the virtual and take even more photos!!

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 7:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW! Another outstandig post. You are a total inspiration!

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 8:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I just wandered over here from Picklish. Love this blog! Love all the pictures! Love all the stories and even more pictures! :) I feel like I am sitting and looking through an old photo album, thank you. It's been a joy visiting here. i will come back.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 8:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fabulous! As always.

We hit the birthday run in our house tomorrow. Hubby turns 41 tomorrow. I guess he liked 40 so much, he is in it for the long haul! LOL Mine is 8/8...and I get to try 40 on for size. Maybe I should have you do my historical write up! ;)

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 8:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oops. Michele sent me...but I am here so often, I forgot!

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 8:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful way to look back ... remembering birthday parties and those that were with you helping you celebrate at the time.

I loved this post.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 8:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Early birthday greetings to you!
Here via Michele's, via Chatty.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 8:54:00 AM PDT 

Blogger sea
had this to say:

What a wonderfully fun birthday post. Happy Birthday to You!!! It strikes me as I read through some of your blog that you truly do embody the spirit of living each and every day to its fullest. What glorious memories and photos you have shared with those of us fortunate enough to have happened upon your space in cyberland.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 10:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, another great post! I think it’s really great
to remember such a wonderful moments of your life. Love all the stories and love also the pictures. Thank you so much for sharing your memories with us.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 10:10:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

So, Karen Culliver got married while she was doing Phantom of the Opera. The road show opened in Chicago in June of 1990 and ran there for nine months then went on to Fort Lauderdale and either Denver or Washington DC. She and Teri Bibb shared the duties of Christine.

Only one more day after today. Excitement. How is Sweetie taking the party preparations?

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 11:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fascinating life you have led. I am really really enjoying these remembrances and photos. Just wonderful! Happy Birthday (a bit early) I'm a June baby too! Stacie

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 2:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I came back to see the Harrod's photo. That area you were in reminds me of the pool atrium at The Greenbrier resort in WV. I'll have to post a photo for you.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 2:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, man, now I want a brownie...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

her via Michele's today :)

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 3:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Going through your posts makes me excited for your forthcoming birthday party.

Take Care!

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 4:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great stories and memories, as always. and that chocolate goody looks excellent too!

rashbre

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 5:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As usual and as ever you have lovely memories.
Can't wait for the 27th to have a taste of that nice chocolate cakes though I'm not much of a fan of chocolate cakes but coming from you it must be delicious.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 6:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have to ask are you going to wear a bra in August LOL
I have to tell you this I got both my boobs grabbed and pushed upwards by a little Chinese lady yesterday when I was trying on a dress. I had to take my bra off and I KNOW I am going to need one on under my dress but geesh LOL
I am not going to be like Drew Barrymore at the Golden Globes and get mocked for my saggy boobs ;)
Great pictures as always, and I seem to have written a novel so I had better stop now.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 6:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This is one big bash, Naomi. I'll bring some dessert wine. See you manana.
love,
lucyd

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 6:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I wish I could weave as rich a multidimensional story as you can. Places, generations, milestones...you manage to seamlessly breeze through them all - it's so easy to read that I kind of have to slap myself into realizing that you've packed it full of so many unique elements that, viewed singularly, would be remarkable enough. As a group, however, they sing.

I'm learning...

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 6:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The countdown is almost over, Naomi. Happy almost birthday! I'll be sure to come back on the 27th!

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 8:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You have the most wonderful photos of your life. You are so lucky to still have such brilliant memories of such a long and interesting life. I just can't believe how so many rememberances you have with photos to accompany them. But not that topless one, huh? :-)

Here from Michele

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 8:35:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MsT
had this to say:

Oh, how wonderful to celebrate your birthday at Harrods! I just love birthday parties, mine and others. A chance to remember how grateful I am we are in one another's lives. Michele says hi.

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 8:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, me again. I am very impressed looking at your counter with the little flags. It's just amazing! Many people from many countries are visiting you! Congratulations!

Sunday, June 25, 2006 at 9:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Wow Naomi!! Such wonderful pictures indeed!! You sure know some famous folks.

I'm looking forward to the party!!

Monday, June 26, 2006 at 5:49:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.