Friday, July 09, 2010
my birthday lunch-LWL

You must forgive me for taking so long to get the "Ladies Who Lunch" pictures up......I have been overwhelmed with some personal-business things, and, trying to organize, etc., over 200 pictures all at the same time.....But, finally....here we are! First, here is a closer look at the utterly gorgeous arrangement of flowers that graced the table---the true 'artist' known as Van, created this 'special' arrangement for this very special Birthday Celebration! The combination of colors and the choice of flowers were so pleasing to my painter's eye....the oranges and pinks---in all shades, even bordering on pale pale lavender just took my breath away...... And then, Van did this really wonderful thing----his present to me......A single Rose, planted in soil in a little glass, with a touch of Lavender---one for each 'Lady'....they were very very beautiful in every way...... Don't they look beautiful there on the table? As you can see, the table was set for nine people. But that number changed because Annie Guilbert had written down the wrong day....the first of a number of mishaps....lol.... And there were two Birthdays to be celebrated that day. Mine and Jacquie Scott's..... Our Birthdays are just a couple of days apart. And dear Jacquie was the first to arrive.....Looking lovely in a blue jacket.....The Hor's D'eurvres were on the table, ready to be eaten.....Lots of Yum! Next to arrive was the dear sweet wonderful Carol DeLuise....A very old friend and someone I had not seen for a very long time----it was actually way before her dear husband Dom died. We went to the same Drama School in New York City, though I graduated a few years before her....There aren't too many people around anymore who went to The Feagin School Of Drama And Radio....(Angela Lanesbury went there too, but way before me and Carol) The Feagin School was named after Lucy Feagin who ran it and it was in The International Building in Rockefeller Center....a great and wonderful place, right in the heart of Manhattan....... Carol is a wonderful actress and singer....And a great mother, too! Dom and Carol have three sons---all working in 'the family' business....The Business of Show. And all very successfully, too. I had wanted to invite Carol any number of times to our LWL afternoons....but this was the first opportunity that I was able to and I was thrilled that she could come......though she had called me that morning saying "I'm coming to your party tonight, but didn't write down the time..."! Oops! I called her back asap and luckily "lunch" worked great for her.....and she fit right in with our group. She knew quite a few of the 'ladies' already, like Betty, who was next to arrive.... And both Betty and Carol were so very very happy to see one another..... In 'the business of show' the lines of friendships and work overlap so incredibly....Both Betty and Carol have done the S.T.A.G.E. Benefit together---that's the AIDS Benefit that Betty and I were both Co-Chairs of for many many years...Betty still is 'the Chair'.....Plus, there are so very many social overlaps, as well. It is what makes it a small community in a lot of ways. That is Lee there in the background---she picked Betty up and when they got here to my houde, Lee went to put on her 'make-up'.....Everyone knows I will be taking pictures...lol! One of the great things about these get-together's is how these wonderful women get to 'catch-up' with each other---in this case above, Carol catching up with Jacquie. And, of course, there are always a lot of good "eats"......Then the wonderful Dianne arrived and she said "HI" to Carol. They did not know each other before...... But Carol is a very loyal supporter of the productions at Theatre West, as were both Dom & Carol when he was alive. So she had seen Dianne in some plays there......Oh, and here below, one of the yummiest of the pre-lunch goodies! This is one of the tastiest combinations ever invented! Pitted Dates, with some Cream Cheese on it, wrapped in Prosciutto and baked for a few minutes---These are addictive! This is a great great combination of flavors....! And, as I have said before....We never run out of things to share with one another....I just love that, more than I can say.....! And then....the wonderful Seemah Wilder arrived.....And that's when we found out that the dear Annie Guilbert was not with her and was not coming because---as it turned out---she thought it was the next day....OY! We are all going-round-the-bend a bit. All of us...lol! I love, love, love, this picture of Seemah and Lee.....No, they did not co-ordinate their clothing. It was just this wonderful serendipity kind of thing......And I don't remember seeing either of them in Orange, before---that doesn't mean they haven't worn it. It just means I have never seen either of them wearing it....lol!

Okay. This is it, for Part 1....No, I'm not teasing you...I just need the time to "create" the next part....Hope you will understand....

Hey...I'm not as young as I used to be.....!!!! (lol)





More To Come.......










26 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hello Naomi! Beautiful flowers and I bet an awesome lunch as always, birthday or no birthday lol!

Btw, we are so happy that you like our gift and I am also glad that you managed to get it. I was so worried that it might get lost in mail. Anyway, my email addie is charles@charlesravndal.com

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 1:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You are only one day older than you were yesterday. That is how I look at my pending Bday.
I am so glad you posted your Birthday lunch, I have been waiting.
You girls have more fun than is legal I think. I love the individual flower arrangements.
Is it just me or did those tasty morsels make anyone else think of John Wayne Bobbitt?

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 3:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your photos are amazing Naomi - those beautiful flowers and those beautiful faces. Seems like you had wonderful birthday celebrations and it was great that Carol came too. Van really is something else isn't he and the flowers are just amazing. Your photos are very pleasing to my eye too and I am not much of a painter but I do like beautiful things. I could look at your flower images all day really they are so restful. I also love the oranges that Seemah and Lee are wearing - its a great photo of them both too. Look forward to Part 2 - rest up and take your time. We will be waiting..much love to you xx

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 3:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

how beautiful everything looks.. but that comes as no surprise! The ladies all look fabulous as always.. how I love when you post the ladies who lunch and more so when it's birthdays! I will never tire of your get-togethers.. anxious for the next installment!

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 4:14:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

These LWL posts never disappoint!

Cheers.

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 5:12:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Gorgeous flowers and I love that small arrangement of the single rose with a touch of lavender, just beautiful, what a wonderful idea.
Your friend look fantastic, so happy and cheerful. Looking forward to seeing more of your bday lunch.

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 7:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love Carol DeLuise and was shocked to hear what a great voice she has. She once lent me a tape of her performing in the London cast of "On the Town" in the part that Nancy Walker played on Broadway and Betty played in the movie and Carol was just extraordinary!

It's fun seeing photos of these beautiful women on a regular basis. Someone should write a screenplay for all of you to star in (called "The Ladies Who Lunch?").

P.S. Naomi, that program is on its way...gulp!

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 9:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You have the best lunches - makes me wish I lived close by! Can't wait to see more of the day's happenings...

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 11:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so glad I found your blog - it's a beautiful, serene moment in my day. The flowers are such wonderful colors, and the ladies are gorgeous!

Nancy in Iowa

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 11:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.....everyone looked so radiant and pretty :D What a nice lovely celebration and pitted dates with cheese that's something new :D

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 8:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a loverly, glamorous group you are!!! And what a glorious
table!!!!!

You LWLs are the bomb!!!!!

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 9:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like a great beginning. I hope there are not many mishaps yet to come!

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 10:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That last photo is just a wonderful shot. The colour is reflected in their smiles too.

I noticed in all your photos everyone is ALWAYS chatting along to one another. I get the impression that it's non stop chatting and laughter at your lunches!

What does Sweetie do when you entertain?

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 3:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

As usual, the photos are wonderful. I am beginning to feel as though I know all the women too (LOL). Lee is absolutely stunning in that photo. Tell her that orange suits her well. It is very much in style now too. I have a bright coral linen top I like a lot.

Don't apologize for taking a while to edit the photos - I'm patiently waiting.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 5:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, and the flowers are lovely, also as usual. I love the little touches of lavender.

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 5:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

As usual just beautiful. I loved Dom and his son's Stargate series is a big deal around my home. How wonderful to have such good friends to share memories with. I don't know why fewer and fewer friends stay in touch (and I DON'T mean by computers on Facebook!) nowadays. Sad. You always do it up!

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 7:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely photos and what a good time I bet you all had!

Those little place-setting roses are such a neat idea!

Saturday, July 10, 2010 at 8:07:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a beautiful Birthday Lunch!! All the F's...flowers, food, friends, fun filled laughter!!!! I'm so happy you had a lovely time, you so deserve it too...
Love, Audrey

Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 12:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The flowers must be so fragrant, I love the lavender that Van has tucked in between the other blossoms.
I had to laugh loudly at Arkansas Patti's final comment!
You ladies certainly know how to party hearty whenever a special occasion requires it.... and there are many many of those special occasions, I think!

Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 6:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Another wonderful birthday lunch. Good food, good friends, good times. Treasures all
xo

Sunday, July 11, 2010 at 2:09:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

That was great. When I see your friends sitting chatting and eating delicious morsels I find myself thinking this is Naomi's atelier. Gertrude Stein's atelier in Paris in the twenties had nothing on this. And the pictures and artifacts are all part of it.
I sympathise with the confusion of dates and the feeling of being over whelmed and am feeling so at present.
BTW Lee is first class at make up - the results are stunning.

Monday, July 12, 2010 at 12:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi,
Another wonderful Ladies Who Lunch! I would love I lived close by you to enjoy your very nice birthday's parties!

The flowers arrangement are stunning and almost I feel their parfum...

Looks all you had a lovely and nice time!
Many hugs to you all.

Monday, July 12, 2010 at 1:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This is certainly a group of classy ladies. The flower arrangement and the flowers by themselves are splendid. What a great lunch you had – great company, great food, great surrounding - how lovely.

Monday, July 12, 2010 at 7:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm finally here Naomi, and it was wonderful to read about your birthday lunch with the ladies! I always enjoy seeing all the photos and the wonderful time that you have when you get together with your friends!

The table is so pretty!

I'm going to read the next part right now!!!

Tuesday, July 13, 2010 at 5:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oooh la la and what beautiful women. It's great to see a new guest. And those roses!!!!!

Wednesday, July 14, 2010 at 11:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I hope you don't mind---I just love to enlarge the pics and snoop around your home, enjoying your view outside and your many wall hangings. I always go straight to bookcases and wall adoranments when I visit a friend's home.

Thursday, July 15, 2010 at 11:39:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.