Wednesday, June 23, 2010
the tile house - 11

When we left off I was looking at this amazing section of tiling above....And, the pictures you are about to see below, encompass some of the area below that section......
I think it is so imaginative of George to have tiled the rocks there and in such a colorful way......And you can just see that area below which is the place that looked like a fountain, but actually never was..... Here is a close-up of that tiled rock above, from the street side, (there are actually two big rocks that are tiled)......And then, below, looking at this area from further away. I love that winged figure at the top there, right in the middle....I'll show you a closer look at him, in a minute....I want you to see the other side of this same area, so you can see a big 'matching' tiled rock........ Waaaay over to the right is the rock I'm talking about. Below, a much closer look at that matching rock.......
And lets take a closer look at that winged creature now.... All of these pictures are what you can see from the street, which is pretty amazing in and of itself. Now, going back to what I could see from above, here is that wonderful winged creature and the beautiful design behind it, that knocked me out. And of course, this is where that design had thinned out, so to speak, because it was very near the wall of the house.....Just to remind you what it looked like in it's broader view, here it is, once again, below......And, here below is how that wonderfully designed circular area looks from where I was standing above..... And as you can see the top part and the bottom part are mirror images of one another--they 'mimic' one another, if you will, in such a beautiful and amazing way.,....A closer look below, at the center section of that circular area..... The work that went into all these areas---the thought and the complexity of design and color, is just astounding, especially when you see it 'in person'. I wish my pictures of this whole section were better than they are---given the opportunity, I would go back and take more photographs now that I know what I am looking at and what I'd like for everyone to see.....Still, seeing it 'in person' is truly a revelation! Above...an even closer look at that middle section....Look at that upper left area. The teeny tiny pieces of tile that George used--I cannot even imagine how painstaking that was to do.....and then when you see the overall 'look'...well, it's pretty mind-boggling! And that very beautiful and complex 'star' design along the sides of this area---again, the work that went into this; the time it took to figure this design out and then actually execute it.....This is what "true art" is all about. We may not understand what motivates someone to do this---to spend, in George's case, more than half a lifetime, to do all of this---to create this, what I think is 'magnificence'---but, hopefully, we can and do appreciate what went into the creation of this extraordinary one-of-a-kind on-going vision. Creative expression is a truly wonderful divine thing....This comes from some inner need---some obsession that must be expressed as all great 'art' does. And when I say 'great', I mean the unexplainable...the inspired---whether we "get" it or not....And there is a lot I don't 'get'....But I get this. I get, that there is something at work here that there is no explanation for. No. No. No. It cannot be 'explained'. It just is. And isn't that truly truly divinely wonderful? Well, it surely is to me.






More To Come..........

Note: My Birthday is coming up in a few days.....There will be a 'Ladies Who Lunch', but it will be a few days after my Birthday, because this year my 'day' falls on a Sunday---a family day---So, our Celebration will be on Wednesday, June 30th. It is almost beyond my comprehension that I am---in a dew days, so you could actually say, I already am----79 years old! Are you kidding me? 79 years old??? Oy! How the hell did that happen? (lol)







19 Comments:
had this to say:

Time flies when you are having fun, and you prove this. You seem to make the most of every day you have!

I totally agree about creativity, it's such a wonderful thing and should always be encouraged. Nowadays I think there is too much emphasis put on academic achievement at the expense of creativity. My world is full of creativity. :)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 12:47:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

If you told us already and I forgot, please forgive me. But what was the total number of man hours needed to accomplish this? Looking at the completed project, I would think it would be overwhelming.

Cheers.

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 6:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Creativity makes my life. Not only because of my own creations but because of the creations of others. I agree with LL Cool Joe that too much emphasis is put on academic achievement, but hey... I ws kicked out of the academy...lol

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 6:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Well, Naomi, I do not know what to say about the Tile House. It's truly amazing! I've never seen such a huge project. And you say it's all done by one man? Incredible. I love the designs. And I think the bottle bottoms are great. I wonder where he gets all his tiles?

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 7:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The whole area that the gargoyle overlooks is just amazing...

Love the series!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 7:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I get it. And I love "it." By the way, as my Aunt Violet would say: 79 is just a spring chicken! Have a super birthday!!

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 9:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It is fortunate you took pictures, there is no way you could recall everything you saw otherwise.
You share a birthday with my oldest friend(from the 2nd grade).
Perchance something happens and I don't make it here Sunday, Happy Birthday lady. Can't wait for your party.
SNP(still not posting)

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 4:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ooo I love a good gargoyle. This one is no exception.

And 79? No. No way!

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 5:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Really, the Tile House is awesome...outstanding...amazing... You did a great reportage with this series and you took fantastic photos too. Thanks for sharing!

I am looking forward to see your Ladies Who Lunch on your Birthday... What a great celebration!
Many hugs in antecipation!

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 7:35:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Good after Naomi, cannot imagine, the resourcefulness to have a project like this really a life time endeavor. And yes truly a work of art. In case life gets in the way this weekend, would like to wish you a Happy Birthday a little early. My paying job, is so slow, am going nuts, there is so much could be doing at home that would make a difference. But that cannot be yet. There are a lot of us that are twiddling our thumbs here. This is turning out to be a banner year for veggies, however the markets have been a little slow. There seem to be many more vendors, so market share is also being stretched, the area where we live, there are lots of people who do understand the value of locally grown produce, and there are lots of people who do not. And they think if they stop at one of the road side stands and not a farmers market, they are getting the same thing, we have a lot of places that just buy and sell. Think that confuses people. Ok sorry starting to babble. Have a Happy Birthday.
Pat from NY

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 10:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

he even has gargoyles!

if I don't swing back again before your birthday, have a great one with the ladies! and more wonderful years to follow.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 12:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, 79?? Are you sure about that?? lol You don't have a spirit of a soon-to-be 79 year old woman...or do you? Maybe 79 is the new 25. :)

If I don't get to stop by on Sunday, I want to be one of the first to wish you a very happy birthday, my friend! I cannot wait to see what's in store for you at the next Ladies Who Lunch gathering. It should be good!

As for that beautiful tile house, there's no end to this man's creativity. I love the passion he has for his artwork and his home, and my new favorite photo is the one showing the designs in the circular area. It's just beautiful!

Once again, thanks for sharing and HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR NAOMI!! xo

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 6:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy birthday ( a day or so early, time difference not withstanding)

What an amazing life long project the "tile house" is.

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 9:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday on Sunday, Naomi! and I wish for you many more.

The tile is just phenomenal and I love the tiled rocks as much as any of it. So sensual!

Thursday, June 24, 2010 at 10:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy birthday and I am looking forward to read about the ladies lunch.

Friday, June 25, 2010 at 5:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

LOVE the matching rocks, the circular wrought iron, all of it really. i also adore the guided tour that i always feel like i'm getting from you! and the creativity that has to be let out just because...amen. just amen. and last, but certainly not least, happy (early!) birthday!! i so can't wait to see your pics, hear your stories and i'll be sure to toast to you from here! :)

Friday, June 25, 2010 at 12:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy almost-birthday, Naomi. That's some amazing creativity with the tiles---and a great location to be using it.

Friday, June 25, 2010 at 8:10:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Let me just say 79 is no age at all!
Another great selection of George's artistry. I particularly like the covered rocks which have the appearance of a beautiful cloth draped over them. And it must be so easy to keep pristine - just a hose down - a job I would really enjoy.
Has he finished? Or is there still space for him to bedeck with his jewels?
I must get MTL to have a look.

Saturday, June 26, 2010 at 2:38:00 AM PDT 

Blogger LL
had this to say:

This is so great to see! I was just thinking of this house and the Ehlings as I had to write a bio for a class this week. I lived in this house (upstairs)! George is incredible! The whole family is incredible!
Oh..and Happy Birthday to you. I'm enjoying your blog.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 5:44:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.