Saturday, June 19, 2010
the tile house - 10

Here is the top part of that wall that was behind George, as I ended the last Post.....This is the level we were at where we saw 'the Dungeon' and other wonderful tiled areas....And btw, I misspoke in the previous post---the Front Door is on the next level up....This is a closer look at one of the fascinating sections of that wall I showed you last time......I love George's use of these bottle bottoms. He cuts all of these himself and has mostly used the bottoms of green bottles and blue bottles. These give a dimension to the Mosaic designs that I personally find deeply satisfying. Below, you can see the next section of the wall as it goes down towards the street, hugging the stairs that take you down towards the street. Remember this house is waaaay up on a hill.......Those trash cans that you can see in this picture below, belong to one of the houses across the street from George and Ivenia's house.....The perspective in this picture is rather distorted because I came in close on the wall itself........ Another section of that same wall....You cannot see this from the street because it is facing the house, itself. But as you come up the stairs or as you are leaving the house by these stairs, this is the wall you see..... A closer look at these small pieces surrounding the larger "star" designs.....I love those little odd ones with the red-orange design......Another view, below, of a slightly different section of the background tiles......As I said, this is another background area on that same wall. I love how George uses everything that comes his way. He cuts all these tiles and uses the 'left-over' pieces---cutting them too, if needed---wherever and whenever he can...... Here is George, sitting on the steps that take us up to the next level where the front door is....We'll see that, in a bit. Below, a closer look at that tiled area that he is sort of leaning on..... And it was on these steps that I took the pictures of George and his lovely wife, Ivenia, which you may remember from one of the early posts about this incredible house.....And below, I asked Ivenia to take a picture of me with George and this seemed like the perfect area to do that! And then, we went up these stairs---Shawn pulling me in the Wheelchair, and Ivenia, helping from below where my feet were---none of this, an easy task.....As I looked over the Iron guard rail near the top of those stairs, I saw this amazing area as I looked through the slats of that Iron guard rail---again, an area that cannot be seen from the street..... It just knocked me out! It was surprising and beautiful to my eyes, in every way. The colors, the design, the area it was in.....! To me, this was one of the most magnificent areas that I saw here in George's work-of-art---and it was so very complex and colorful---AND, how many people have ever seen it or would ever see it? Well, that's not why George does what he does.....No artist---no true artist---does what he or she does because of how many people might see it. That's the least important thing when one is creating.... What is important is the work; the "creating"; the "expression" that comes from within. And everything that George does and has done here in this magnificent work-of-art, (with so much heart I might add...), has come from deep within him and it is because he has to do it. It is as simple as that. Truly. And yet, it is incredibly profound. Here is George, at 83, still working on his "Magnum Opus" (My words, not his...) and saying...'My time is limited and I have to keep doing this for as long as I can.' And you will see what he is working on right now, today, later on---though in it's unfinished state---a work in progress, as they say, that he cannot leave at the moment because as he said...."I'm on a role!"....Oh, I understand that, I truly truly do........Below, more of this fantastic area..... How fabulous is that? Tiling these rocks. AMAZING beyond AMAZING! This is just below what we were just looking at....and just above that area that one can see from the street---which looked like it was a fountain, but never was---in case you don't remember, here, in this picture below, is this fabulous area from above.......I'll pick this up right here, when I come back for the next Tile House post......There is so much to see and take in and be moved by......










More To Come.......







16 Comments:
had this to say:

The area past the iron guard rail is just beautiful! Just when I thought you'd shown us his best work, you show us this!

I think it's amazing what he does with those bottle bottoms...and that he cuts them all himself. He is a true artist and an extremely talented one at that.

Cute photo of the two of you, btw! It's nice seeing more picture of YOU, my friend!

Enjoy your weekend!! xo

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 4:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Most people dress the outside of their homes for curb appeal. He also does it for his personal pleasure and creative satisfaction with all the hidden treasures.
Just love the picture of the two of you.

I'm still not posting so I'll save you a trip but thanks so much for your comments.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 5:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Each photo reveals more of this fantastic home and his fabulous art. I love the bottles too - they add sparkle to the tiles.

The area with the river rock is just wonderful - I think it is my favorite part so far and tiling the rock was a stupendous idea. I'm running out of superlatives for this!!

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 8:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, first of all love your photo with George, you look great!

This tile house is really an amazing surprise...each details are fantastic! I think I could stay there for months... I am enchanted with your pictures.
Thanks for sharing!

Have a nice weekend my dear!

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 9:50:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

This house is the gift that keeps on giving--for your readers at least, if not everyone who passes it on the street!

Cheers.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 11:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

its amazingly beautiful.. just wonderful.. i cant believe how wonderful it is. I bet its even more beautiful in real person and photo's dont do it justice.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 7:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I feel so happy to see such a beautiful creation. It seems like an endless work of art that you could spend days and days discovering and enjoying!

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 7:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like this is one of the places to visit when I visit LA again Naomi :)

Every tiles shown that it is his meticulous hardwork and love for this building house :D

Saturday, June 19, 2010 at 8:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I so love looking at these, except it makes me itch to tile something.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 12:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

it's gorgeous, stimulating, resourceful *and* meaningful! a true gem (but you already know that i think that!)! my favorite pic, though, is the one of you and george together. because, *that* personalizes the story and i live for that shmaltzy stuff! well done, as always, lady!

Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 1:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I've had a lot going on, so I'm just catching up on you posts, Naomi. I absolutely love the tile house. It amazes me each time you show more of it. thank so much !

Sunday, June 20, 2010 at 8:16:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

It is quite amazing. So much to delight - you were so fortunate to actually see it all - in the flesh and with George to hand.
I especially love the random chips and the jewel effect of the bottles.
The photo of the two of you is great. I should think all the exercise he gets just going up and down the stairs keeps him ultra fit.

Monday, June 21, 2010 at 3:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This all really is the work of a lifetime. Amazing. Thanks for the photos and your sensitive sharing of his creative genius

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 at 8:21:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

I LOVE all the photos you're getting of places nobody else gets to see. His life's work is astounding! I love that area that looks like a stone waterfall. I could just sit out there, breathe in the scent of the trees and listen to the sounds of the neighborhood for hours on end. It is so beautiful!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 at 4:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow!!! Just when you think it doesn't get any better, there are all these beautiful patterns and colors. I'm blown away by all his lovely creative work.

Love the picture of the two of you. Like lly said, it's nice to see YOU in a picture!

Bless Shawn for pulling you up those stairs in the wheelchair!

Thanks so much for sharing all this Naomi! You are a dear!

Tuesday, June 22, 2010 at 5:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

LOL I always wondered about those toters. This discovery will fill you for the rest of your life. (And I would guess you to be 67.)

Wednesday, June 23, 2010 at 9:40:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.