Friday, July 02, 2010
my birthday dinner

Dear Dear Garrett Parks, Betty's oldest son, picked me up and brought me up to their house---Betty, Garrett, Karen & Maddie's House, that is----to Celebrate my Birthday with a little "family" dinner....The first person to greet me was the newest member of their family who you see above..."Buddy"....as cute as he can be. Here he is with Karen.....He is a little 'lover boy'. They had told me he was a 'rescue dog' and he might not take to me at all---he might growl and bark, etc. Well, he did for just a few minutes, but within a short space of time he let me pet him and then, he was sitting on my lap within a half-hour of my arrival....Such a sweet little guy. And above, that's dear sweet "Ruby", who has been featured here on my blog a couple of years ago.....she is adorable, and a truly delightful doggie! And Buddy & Ruby get along very well, which is a blessing.......It was a real 'family' dinner....Betty and her daughter-in-law, Katy, above.....Andy, Betty's youngest son and Katy's husband is rehearsing a play so he was not there. Being a show business family, everyone understands---this is the the way of life. Below, here is Garrett..... We sat around the dining room table, just talking and sharing the news of the day..... And figuring out what we were going to eat.....They asked me what I felt like and I chose a restaurant called "Louise's". They checked out the menu on-line, and everybody made their choices. Garrett called it in and a little bit later went to pick it up---it is literally about 5 minutes from their house........ We decided to eat outside on the back Patio....it is such a pretty area and always has been. It was a beautiful Balmy evening---twilight, really....And it is so very pretty out there. There is this wonderful Wisteria that Larry planted soon after they moved to this house in 1962---in fact, he and the then very young boys, built the whole back area, including the brick floor of the Patio---Arbor and all, etc.It is very lush with beautiful greens and there in the distance you can see the table we would be sitting at for our dinner.....The Wisteria overhangs everything right here in this area, making a beautiful canopy......And all of that beautiful canopy started with this, below.... Of course it didn't look like this, back when Larry planted it...... There is something about this twisted thick Wisteria that is almost like Sculpture and which I find fascinating..... It is really pretty extraordinary looking, isn't it? The way it twists around itself....one might think it could choke the life out of itself, but it doesn't......
A closer look at the lushness of that canopy of Wisteria....The Arbor runs along the property line on that one side of the house, and leads to the two Greenhouses that one can see from the Breakfast Room and Kitchen.... Below, a closer look at the inside of the Greenhouses...... In the last few years the whole back area has had a 'face-lift', so to speak. The Greenhouses re-built, the brickwork of the Patio floor, completely redone....After over forty years these things needed to be updated and made safer---particularly the Patio floor---it had become quite uneven with the roots of trees pushing it up........There is dear Betty....using her cane out their on the Patio. She doesn't need to use it in the house because it is all one level, but there are a few steps here and there outside and so for safety---since she broke her hip last Thanksgiving, she uses it where needed. Over on the left in the picture above you can see a flat area that has a rather thin tree trunk with this wooden guard all around it. There was this huge beautiful Sycamore tree that Larry had planted back in 1962 and there was a "well" wall around it....One could sit on the wall, and it was great at big party's....Well, the tree died and they had to take it out, so when they did that, that is when they re-did the whole brick floor.....and after that, the Greenhouses......... There above is that round wooden guard...I think they hope to rebuild the 'well', eventually, but are waiting for the new little tree to get much bigger..... Above, Karen, carrying the plated food to the table where we ate. You can see the small Sycamore Tree a little behind and to the right of Karen..... Betty, seated at the table.....I'm sitting to her right..... Behind Karen and Betty is a lower area to the garden.This is where Karen and Garrett's Wedding took place in November, 1991 and then, in September of 2002, Andy and Katy's Wedding was held in the same area. I was the "Officiant" for both Weddings and it was so meaningful for me to be able to marry both these couples....In my remarks, I remember saying that I could just hear Larry saying, 'Naomi, are you sure this is legal?'....lol. One of the many reasons Betty and Larry bought this house back in 1962 was because it was a big piece of property....and it was on a hill and had many levels.....It is a wonderful house for entertaining...big gatherings, and small...... And here are Garrett & Karen at our 'family' dinner....It was such a beautiful evening....(I lightened some of these pictures a little so you can see the people better.......) Katy and Garrett---we missed Andy and Maddie, but work is work..... We all enjoyed our food very much. Everyone ordered something different and from the almost clean plates, it appeared that everyone was extremely happy with their particular choice. I had Chicken Marsala and it tasted absolutely delicious.....! Then, it was time for our dessert....! The change of "light" is from the glow of the candles..... Garrett was cutting up the "desserts". Louise's had two chocolate yummy's....Chocolate Cake and Brownies...He had gotten some of each....Smart man. And there, on Betty's plate, you can see the two desserts! But below, you can see them better and with my Birthday Candles, too! It was the perfect Birthday Evening for me....! I have spent many Birthdays with Betty and her family....hers, mine, Garrett's, Andy's, etc., etc., etc. There is no place else I would rather be than sharing a meal and sharing our lives with The Parks Family....as I said, It Was Perfect!



More To Come.......



NOTE: Our "Ladies Who Lunch" was wonderful and I am resting up a little and working on my pictures.....So, as soon as I am physically able, you will see them.....By the way, where is everyone? My comments on the previous post were so few, I began to wonder if I had done something, like bore you all....then I wondered if anyone is having trouble commenting, but I thought if that was the case, someone might let me know with an email. Or maybe, Facebook has taken over people's lives. There has definitely been a change in the Blog World......I'm not complaining, just wondering what is going on.....














43 Comments:
had this to say:

Happy Birthday Naomi :)

I am so sorry I have been 'missing' but I'm still here for you always :)

What a lovely lovey cozy family celebration and the time spent with everyone. I can see that this is a big house and it certainly feels warmth which exude much love.

WIshing you best of health and sorry if I've missed your Birthday. Did you receive the postcard I sent from Singapore before I went on the trip to Toronto?

I'm back working and back to routine :D

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 12:28:00 AM PDT 

Blogger VV
had this to say:

Hi Naomi, the dinner looked marvelous! Wisteria is my favorite flower and I would love to have a patio covered in it. As for comments, I think a lot of people are out of town on vacation, Facebook is also taking over, but I prefer blogging because there's more substance to the writing here than you tend to have on Facebook. So keep writing, I'll keep coming to visit. Now I'm off to take care of a few items before M and I take off for a romantic weekend getaway for my birthday.

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 5:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm impressed you won Buddy over. Those Chi's are very discriminating and if one likes you, you can feel proud.
What a lovely place Betty has. It is so lush and tropical looking.
My friend who has a birthday on the same day as yours has a delightful 97 year old mother who is living with knee replacements. She also only needs a cane outside. Betty is doing great.
Your party looked perfect and it is so great you have 2 of them.
I wouldn't worry about comments. People are enjoying summer vacations, summer chores or are unable to get the computers away from their kids.

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 5:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Belated birthday greetings, Naomi. Your family dinner at Betty's looks like it was positively delightful. How wonderful to have such forever friends - looking forward to seeing all of them again in your "ladies who lunch" celebration post.

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 5:33:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Ah that was worth waiting for. I know how much you must have enjoyed it. A beautiful relaxed evening in the open air with old dear friends. And delicious food of course.
I know what you mean about diminishing comments. Whether it is face book, twitter etc that is the reason I don't know but I have no intention of signing up for any of them. After all numbers aren't everything. Small and select is good:)

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 7:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a beautiful setting for your birthday! The patio area is lovely. What wonderful friends you have. :)

I think the blogging world is just a little quiet at the moment. It's a very busy time of the year for me, so maybe everyone else is busy too!


I never ever find your blog boring!

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 12:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a nice Birthday Evening, Naomi! Love seeing all these photos of your dear friends. The patio is just beautiful and agreeable. Sounds you all had a great time together.

I am looking forward to see photos of "Ladies Who Lunch" very soon.

Have a nice weekend!

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 12:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Me again... About the comments, you never bore us! No way! Your posts are always amazing, awesome.
But I have been observing that the comments on my blog and on anothers blog's friends diminish...
I don't know why... may be because there are anothers sites, like facebook, twitter... that consume the time...
I agree with Pat, "numbers aren't everything". Quality is better for sure.

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 12:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love to know Buddy and seeing Ruby again. As you know, I am a "dog people", love dogs so much.

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 1:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a beautiful evening among friends! Betty's house is inviting, especially the patio area with all the greenery and the wisteria.

As for the blogging world, it IS rather quiet, isn't it? I find that most people are out and about and enjoying their summers and the kids and grandkids are also out of school, so it makes everyone a little busier.

Btw, you are far from boring, my dear. Nothing could pull me away from visiting your blog.

Cheers and looking forward to your b-day lunch post! :)

Happy 4th of July weekend!!

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 6:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I so enjoy all of your posts, (I have come to you from Vancouver Voyeur) I think that summer has slowed peoples computer time and facebook could indeed be part of it. But NEVER think you are boring ! I send so many to look at your flower posts, you could print and bind them in a book! thank you for all your wonderful Hollwood history with a very personal touch, and Happy Belated Birthday !

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 7:47:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Morgan
had this to say:

What a wonderful Birthday dinner you had.I love your post and read all the time...I usually don't comment but had to wish you a Happy Birthday :)

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 7:59:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous SouthernDaze
had this to say:

I love, love, love reading your posts. I rarely ever comment, but, I do enjoy everything you write. You're never boring. Happy Belated Birthday!

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 8:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So glad to see you had such a lovely dinner out with your friends.

I've been reading blogs - but not commenting much - I've been working on my garden and making some really nice gifts for family Christmas gifts...

And,, you are NEVER boring...

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 8:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for inviting us in for a glimpse of your birthday dinner, outside like midsummer's dream, so simple and sweet.

I have blog days when it is so slow that I also begin to wonder. I wish someone would take up a new meet and greet, seems Netchick's has fallen by the wayside.

Happy Birthday, dear Naomi!

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 8:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday to you! I really enjoyed this post and seeing Betty's home and yard. It is so beautiful! I love those little doggies. I know what you mean about not many comments lately. I noticed a change, too. I think people are busy with summer vacations and holidays and the heat. I hope this is a good year for you!

Friday, July 2, 2010 at 9:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

as you know I've been off the computer while recouping..but I'm on my way back now!.. I am sooooo glad I didn't miss Your birthday Bash with the wonderful Betty!!! What a gorgeous place to have a birthday dinner! I am so glad you got out of the house for a while to spend time with such good friend Naomi!.. I'll be looking forward to the ladies that lunch!

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 8:13:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

If I lived in CA and had a patio like that, I think the only time I'd come inside would be to use the "little boys' room." Otherwise, you couldn't pry me away from that great space.

Cheers.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 10:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, your blog has never ever been boring!! I know I don't spend nearly the time that I did on my blogging, or reading blogs. I can't explain it. I do read Facebook some, but not often, and I don't do Twitter at all. No grandkids to keep me busy. I think I just kind of have the blahs. Maybe it's the summer heat? I don't know, but I still think of my dear blogging friends so often.

I love the outside living area, and what a perfect place to celebrate your birthday! I love the twisted huge wisteria vines!! Here they die down in the winter, but I'm sure it's lovely there all the time. When wisteria blooms there is nothing to compare to them!! Having that whole covering is lovely!!

I'm so glad you had a lovely birthday and got to get out!! The dogs are so cute! I was wondering about that black thing on Ruby's collar?

Once again, a belated Happy Birthday to you!! xxxooxxx

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 1:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a terrific birthday dinner and time shared with your longtime family. They really are your family even if not by blood. The years of bonding have fused you all together and there's nothing that can undo that.
The back patio is so lovely, and the memories there are wonderful.
I am so happy you enjoyed such a nice celebration! I hope you received the card I sent.

We are doing well these days. Taylor is half way finished recording his album, and he and Keith return for two weeks on July 6th to complete the album. It is being done at a recording studio in Virginia, and things have been very exciting.

Courtney began work on her documentary on childhood cancer, and she traveled to Washington D.C. for a Cure Search march and meeting with some congress people. She also was asked to be assistant editor on an movie called Doonby, and she is thrilled!! She has found that editing and producing are her fortes, and she is making some hard decisions about her senior year and what her senior project will be... editing or directing? She directed and student film last quarter that is really wonderful. If she puts it on You Tube or some other place online, I will send you a link.

My brother Jason is happy to be on summer break, although he's been very busy playing piano for a number of events. I will be spending the first two weeks of August with him, but most likely not in California. We are making plans now for some kind of trip, maybe to Vegas.

I've not been blogging or doing Facebook. My computer hiatus is still ongoing, but I do check email, so I've not completely fallen off the face of the earth.
:-) Happy Independence Weekend!!!

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 1:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I have been trying to get your comments open for 3 minutes. I've been having trouble for weeks now - so if my comments aren't showing up - that is why. I need a new computer!

Your dinner was in a lovely spot and how nice for you that your friends are close by. Betty looks wonderful - why are there no photos of you???

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 7:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Belated birthday wishes! Your celebration dinner with dear friends looks wonderful. Glad to see Betty is up and about after her hip surgery.

I haven't visited you "here in the hills" as I stopped blogging at end of '09. Subsequently, I resumed with a Mother's Day post, then I wrote a tribute to Lena Horne that I'd been intending for several years (linked to the lovely piece you wrote after her death.) Am writing occasional pieces now.

I do have Facebook, but use it rarely and only with family, friends from my past. I use texting, also Skype, but haven't taken up Twitter, yet.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 7:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful b-day dinner and I hope you feel better soon.. I have a new post but wont put it up till Tuesday...LOL.. I hate p utting up a new post when hubby is home..LOL.. But I will comment when he's home.. go figure.. Anyway its great to see Betty up and around.. I have been missing because its beautiful here and I have been spending time outside with the girls..

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 8:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I think FaceBook is taking my readers. I know it. Oh well. A blogger I shall stay, wtiting and reading. I took a break to do some reading of...books and newspapers, imagine that. YOUR BLOG BORING??? NEVER. Closest to Hills I will ever get and a woman like you who has had such adventures in the art world. Happy Birthday, says my calendar, I needed to keep the page turned---my caregiver knocked it over. If I were healthy I would fly down and have you marry us. What an honor.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 8:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

DARLING dogs!!

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 8:59:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Still here-- I always read your blog but don't comment often. (For some reason, I can't sign-in, so have to leave this one anonymous!)

I so enjoy your posts. You put so much thought into your pieces. The pictures always tell a story and are so much fun to see. The series on the Tile House was very interesting. It was so great you were able to get an inside perspective.

Kathy B.

Saturday, July 3, 2010 at 8:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday Naomi and a wonderful 4th of July! Don't go overboard with the hot dog eating contest...lol

Sunday, July 4, 2010 at 7:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi,
Happy Belated Birthday! I have been enjoying your blog for a while now, but haven't commented yet, so this seems like the perfect time,so that you know your are NEVER boring! Your love for color, texture, shape, friends, food and living are wonderful to share. Looking forward to many more of your posts. I don't consider myself a 'lurker', but a 'silent admirerer'!

Elizabeth in Mississippi

P.S. I have an old wisteria vine that has those fantastical branches...it seems to me to be something from Africa, fighting for a grip in a harsh environment.

Sunday, July 4, 2010 at 9:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

*sigh* happy happy birthday to you! i love that you ate outside by candlelight. and that you had two desserts. those qualities are perfect in my book. but that's just me. the fun and joy exude from your words and pictures, as always. thanks so very much for sharing them! :)

Sunday, July 4, 2010 at 2:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a fine way to celebrate your day. Glad that you got to go out and visit.

Those doggies? So freaking cute!

Your piece of the internet is NEVER boring! And I will admit that I am ate up with a Facebook addiction.

Sunday, July 4, 2010 at 5:59:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

You had a fantastic bday dinner!!what a lovely home and hosts, enjoyed seeing all those pictures.
I haven't been blogging much, it's a side effect of summertime and other activities...

Sunday, July 4, 2010 at 11:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely birthday! How beautiful the grounds are. Wisteria is the bane of my husband's existence. It took over our back yard years ago and he spent those years attempting to tame it. I love it and when it blooms it is without equal. I will not show him your pictures this time since wisteria brings out the worst in him. He still holds a grudge. LOL.

Happy Birthday again and again.

Monday, July 5, 2010 at 8:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

a beautiful setting for a beautiful lady!!
Happy Belated Birthday

Monday, July 5, 2010 at 8:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How wonderful that you can share the garden- it has abundant soul.
Happy Birthday!

Monday, July 5, 2010 at 9:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday Beautiful Naomi!!!!
Oh, I've been gone a long time it feels..... but I'm BACK!
I love that you were able to go to Betty's for your birthday.
I'm home this month with no real plans except to hang out and enjoy the summer pace. I will email you soon. So much has happened.... and alot of it very good. Out of the ashes sometimes comes new blossoms. ;)

ps. I was asked to deliver a sermon at a local church a week ago. ME! It was the most amazing experience. I posted the sermon on my blog......."Found Blessings..."

And you know what? You are a found blessing in my life. x

Monday, July 5, 2010 at 11:32:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi! I have a Facebook account bur I find it so BORING! I only use it to keep in touch with my relatives.

I loved the pictures of the thick, twisted vine compared to those of the new young, straight tree. We recently had terrible storms in my part of PA and we lost so many of our beautiful, old trees so it's nice to see something old hanging in there!

Monday, July 5, 2010 at 6:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You are such a lucky lady, having so many good friends to treat you like a queen on your birthday! And in such splendour too. I love the look of that wisteria root, quite dramatic the way it twines around itself.
I think lack of comments can be blamed on summer holidays and also remember that Canada Day is July 1 and USA Day is July 4, lots of people are away at that time.
I have 5 or 6 bloggers on my list who haven't posted for ages, and I am wondering what has happened to them.

Monday, July 5, 2010 at 6:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday Dear Naomi - your party looks so fun. I look forward to see the "ladies who lunch" party photos. Many blessings to you in the ahead. Joy, joy, joy and much love, Suzann

Tuesday, July 6, 2010 at 5:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy belated birthday, Naomi. It looks like you had a wonderful celebration with dear friends. I loved the pictures of Sweetie also. He looks so proud of himself.

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 1:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Sounds like a lovely time!

The dogs are too cute :)

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 4:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy belated birthday, Naomi. I was out of town for a week and am just getting caught up. We've had some family things going on, too.
Anyway, I wish you happy, healthy, loving and peaceful days. ♡

Wednesday, July 7, 2010 at 7:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Birthday! What a lovely setting an great company!

Thursday, July 8, 2010 at 8:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh I feel bad I got here late to wish you a very Happy Birthday. what a wonderful way to spend it Naomi. With family (well they are your family I would think!). It looked to be a great relaxing birthday meal and yummy too!! thanks for all your wonderful pictures too - its like we all celebrated your birthday with you. xx

Friday, July 9, 2010 at 3:49:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.