Friday, May 18, 2007
dove couples

Here are a few more lovely feathered friends who are doing the 'mating dance', among other things.....That fellow above had been sitting on the fence in just about that same spot, for days....I know this means there is a nest somewhere close by, but so far I have not been able to find it....

And here below from a different angle, and kind of puffed up...is this same dear Dove..... I know his mate had to have been sitting on that nest I cannot find....Well, perhaps it will be revealed to me soon....

Here below, is a sweet pair of doves doing the 'mating dance' including a bit of washing of each other.....


This cleaning and grooming of themselves and each other seems to be a big big part of the 'mating dance' of the doves....These two in the picture above just sat there on this ledge for the longest time....at one point I thought I was going to capture the next step in the mating dance but alas, it was not meant to be...the one nearest the top of the picture hopped down on that next level and her mate followed and the next thing you know....they flew away...Ah well, perhaps I will 'capture' that moment, on another day....it is still early in 'the mating game' season....

And here below, another pair of doves on the arm of a plant down in my garden......I find it so very very sweet that during this time of year you almost never see one Dove by him or herself.....they seem to always be traveling together and staying very close to one another, wherever they are....weather it is on a tree branch or on the ground or when they are building a nest and later....sitting on eggs....like this pair below.... Here above, the Daddy, or Mommy, sitting on the roof, very close by to the nest, where the other half of this couple sits on the eggs..... The complete devotion to this happy task goes on, no matter what....We planted a cutting from the Euphorbia Amak Veriagated which got knocked over by a huge storm and broke at the bottom, in early January, 2006. We were able to save a huge amount of the arms, and they all have been rooting in pots since that time. So last Saturday, my Gardener Seven and his son, planted about four of them because they now have good established root systems....three, down below, and this one up here near the garage side of the house....
And you can see up top in this picture that that same little birdie is still sitting on the nest.... Above, a closer look at that same Birdie....She never moved the whole time Seven & Fernando were digging and planting....And even when I came out three different times to oversee exactly where this cutting should go...She never moved! Now that is devotion!


And, now, one more Dove couple....A lovely pair of Doves, sitting on the water sculpture....getting spruced up for each other....Sweet, isn't it?
There will be some other wonderful pictures of birds and some bees, too, next time.....Till then....Have a lovely weekend....




More To Come.......












32 Comments:
had this to say:

Hi Naomi. How wonderful to see you in the middle of the night, when sleep doesn't seem to want to come for me.

I think your doves can teach us a thing or two about the power of relationships. They are so sweet!

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 12:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I do LOVE these little lovebirds! My pair are ALWAYS together - always always always! You never ever see just one of them! I guess if I do I'll know she's nesting - huh?

Come by today - you have a mention in my post Oh FAMOUS one!!! LOL!

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 4:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I think I will pass on to you what DeForest said of me once.. "that's not a camera in your hand, it' an extension of your hand!" .. you always seem to have the camera at the right time to take such great shots!

I can't wait until you can get pictures of the baby doves!

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 5:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful birds. We use to call couples in love for "turtel duer" (Turtel doves?). I do not know what it might be in american, as my dictionary is in the summerhouse, while I went to our winter home to post comments and do a post from yesterdays national day over here.

Have a great weekend.

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 7:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your dove pictures are wonderful! They are very sweet and I can tell you get great enjoyment from watching them. I hope that lots of little dove-lings are soon evident.

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 8:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great photos! The doves in my neighborhood always seem to find the worst, unstable places to build their nests . . . these 2 seem to have chosen wisely!

Hello, Michele sent me

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 11:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Love your pictures and the doves are so sweet!! We have doves here but I have no idea where they nest at. There's plenty of trees around so I'm sure they have good places, but they do come here often and feed at the feeder or I see them out on the fence.

How nice that you got the Euphorbia Amak Veriagated plants out from that one that was damaged! It lives on!! Love how the dove just sat there during all that. You are right - pure devotion!

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 12:04:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Those are great pictures! They almost look fake they are so perfect.

Here from Michele's today!

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 12:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They really are very sweet.
I love the dove on her nest, and the top one with the white fence and blue sky contrast. Great colors.

~S

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 1:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I, too, was going to say that they look fake!! OMG... I really thought they were little sculptures.

Thanks for more lovely pics!

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 2:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

(Just spied your post below - those roses are awesome!!!)

Don't you just *love* Love Birds! How lovely. And the devotion they show in regards to each other and obviously their nest is inspiring...

Enjoy your weekend...

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 2:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovebirds inspire me with their loyalty...

AND I LOVED the roses in the post below !!!! Ohhhhhhh - SO gorgeous !!!!

Have a wonderful weekend, Lady !

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 8:18:00 PM PDT 

Blogger dk
had this to say:

Now I know why I was snapping pics of ducks on my cameraphone on Tuesday - must have been from reading your blog! Here today from Michele.

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 9:46:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi I enjoyed seeing your dove pictures. You obviously gain great joy from them.

I don't suppose you would let me borrow your gardner for a while to help me with my back yard here in Alabma? :-)

Truly enjoyed your post...thank you.

Friday, May 18, 2007 at 9:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, you have a fine selection of pictures here, well taken.

Michele sent me.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 2:21:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

There are some wonderful angles in those shots. Don't the doves look like statues? So romantic, but their cry is almost irritating to me. I was watching some in my yard this morning. I'm having a lazy susan day. The birthday wore me out!!

Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 9:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for stopping by my blog this morning. Glad you did.

This was an incredible post. And bees...I'm looking forward to that. My dad was a beekeeper for a ka-jillion years. So there's a real soft spot in my heart for bees.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 9:42:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Everyone said "sweet." My sentiments exactly.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 11:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

We've also got a couple of dove pairs in our yard. I can hear them cooing in the morning, but one nest I can't find either. I think they must be good nest hiders. It's so strange to think that we have the same type of birds 3000 miles apart and with quite the different climates (cold and rainy here again today).

Oh and I am SO HAPPY to finally hear whether or not you saved some of your giant euphorbia. I'm thrilled that so much of it rooted for you. That's fabulous!

Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 2:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi. Fascinating things, birds! Great photos and glad to see that your plant is doing well. I haven't been by in ages. Hope you're doing very well and enjoying the weekend.

Hugs! Michele sent me!

Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 2:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those doves truly are sweet. You must have fun spying on them. I don't blame them for cleaning one another. Who wants to snuggle with someone who's dirty? :-)

Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 3:53:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I learned how to appreciate bird watching thru my Norwegian father. The pictures are wonderful btw!

Saturday, May 19, 2007 at 4:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me here before; super pics!

Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 2:13:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great photos :)

We get a couple of doves sitting in the tree in our back garden.

I hope you're enjoying your weekend.

I'm here from Michele's :D

Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 4:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos. I love doves, especially their cry. They sound almost like owls, don't they?

Last week I accidentally hit one while driving. My 3 year old asked me what was wrong and I told her. She said "Mommy, dat not nice...you tell dat bird you sowwy!"

Thanks for stopping by Long Day With Short People. I enjoyed yor site!

Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 5:24:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I love the mommy sitting on the nest and looking so comfy and smug. She probably thought Seven and his son were there for her entertainment. How I envy you Naomi having not one gardener but two!

Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 5:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Sunday, Lady ! Hope you are feeling well -

Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 9:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me back to admire your pics - so I did! :)

Thank you for your kind thoughts and words. I really do appreciate them.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 12:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous pictures, Naomi. And lots of doves; I like doves even though they hog the birdseed that gets dropped onto the deck.

The cacti are gorgeous, too!

Here from Michele's.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 12:54:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I just love your garden and everything in it makes me feel warm and cozy. Can't wait to see more photos of the love birds and the bees too. The week-end here in the east was cold and damp but spring sunshine will return tomorrow and the birds will sing outside my window in the morning..

Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 3:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, thanks for letting me know that the comment link was gone. I changed it. For some odd reason, blogger has now made it necessary to click on the link to allow comments - instead of making it automatic. Grrrrr.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 4:07:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I think you know how I adore doves, so I really enjoyed these photos. I can't get over how great they are and how you're able to capture them so close. They're delightful to watch, so thanks for sharing them.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 at 4:42:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.