Sunday, May 06, 2007
deana's questions


The lovely Deana of Friday Night Fish Fry, has given me 5 delectable questions. After Shephard's wonderful but hard questions, I felt, I couldn't do anymore of these...But, when I saw the questions that Deana asked Colleen, I changed my mind. So, here are her questions for me, and my answers!

1. You have been asked to film an American Express commercial which will feature you and these famous people around a table at a swanky restaurant chatting: a painter, a director, a novelist, an NFL Football player, and a screen siren...(any of these may be deceased or alive)....You get to fill in the blanks. What five people are we going to see in the commercial and why?

WOW! What a wonderful tall order this is. Okay. Well, I hope it is okay if the 'painter' and the 'NFL Football Player' are the same person? I promise I will add another painter....(lol)....So, first, here is 'the painter/nfl football player: BERNIE CASEY....he is one of the most interesting exciting talented men, I have ever known.
And, he is incredibly attractive to boot. He is a wonderful WONDERFUL painter and was an NFL Player, first with the San Francisco 49ers and then with the Los Angeles Rams, 'back in the day', as they say....He also happens to be a very talented Actor, and an extremely gifted Poet. He would have a lot to say about the Black Experience in this country, putting things in an historical context as well as the climate that exists currently, and we would ALL learn a lot from this sharing with one another. Next, the director: The director that I think would be terrific to sit at a table with would be SIDNEY LUMET.
Why? Because I think he is one of the BEST of The Best, on every level. If he had never directed anything but "Dog Day Afternoon" "Network" and "The Verdict", those films would be reason enough for me to choose him, and besides the fact that he has produced a fantastic body of work, his ex-mother-in-law was the Great Great LENA HORNE. I would ask him to bring her to the American Express table because she is a 'living legand', and has such a very rich history as well as being one of the most amazing talents of the 20th Century, and someone I admire greatly and have been a big fan of for as long as I can remember. Her perspective on "race" in this country would be incredibly fascinating, having lived through such major changes and history where 'race' is concerned, and having broken ground in every way, as a black woman in a basically racist country---She was the first woman of color to be cast as a 'romantic' object in films, limited though they were back then, and she was the first 'movie star' of color, as well. And because of her amazing experiences we would all learn so very much from her...(Oh, I can just hear the great dialogue between Bernie, and Sidney and Lena and of course Me, too...!) Next, we have the novelist: The novelist would be my dear dear friend, SAMMY REESE. (I am loving this group of people, more than I can say....). Sammy always has had the most amazing perspective on "race" in this country, and as a southerner, and as a white southerner to boot, he understood the depth and complexity of everything that came before and the hopes for a better America where race was concerned, too....and though he is dead, he would be more alive at this 'table' than a lot of living people....And, last but not least, a 'screen siren'....Hmmmmm. Well, it would have to be HALLE BERRY. This beautiful amazing African American women is the "today" woman of the movies. And since all of these people, have something to do with the subject at hand....'Race In America'...this very talented women....a 'screen siren' she is---at least to me she is, would bring something to this table bespeaking of the present and the future. What a conversation Halle Berry and Lena Horne would have. Oh My! And the other painter.....There is a very brilliant painter named DAVID HAMMONS, who's work I first saw back in 1968....He is a man that has a very unique vision, too. 'Back in the day', he did some very unusual beautiful and moving paintings that were called body prints, and these body prints are what brought him to the forefront in the Art World....This is Amazing work...
He would add a further element to this 'commercial' that would be truly fabulous! (Oh I want this dinner to actually happen...!) And the thrust of the commercial would be not unlike the commercials you see with Robert DeNiro and Ellen DeGeneres for American Express, but it would be this wonderful group of people all having dinner together....the kicker would be that we would all take out our American Express cards when dinner was over and fight over who is going to pick up the check!

2. We all love your garden and were delighted to find you had a bobcat lurking there one day. If you were to wake up one morning and look out into your garden what would delight YOU most, to find there?

Oh....what a great question Deana. What would really delight me the very most would be to find that a family of Deer had taken up residence down there where I could see them all the time. A Mama and a Daddy and two fawns....living right down below, eating, sleeping, connubleing (?) every day and night...of course they would wander the hills, as is their wont, but my garden----this, would be 'home base'. This is where they would come back to, every day and every night, and, the best part would be that they would let me 'know' them. How exciting would that be? Oh My Lord! It would be fabulous, beyond words!

3. Naomi, you are our Hollywood connection. When I think of Hollywood legends I tend to think Katherine Hepburn, Bette Davis, Cary Grant....even Jack Nicholsolson.....do any of the young guns in Hollywood have what it takes to end up being a Hollywood Legand? If yes, then who?

Another great question Deana....The very first name that came to mind was Johnny Depp. (I know I know, everybody loves him because he is soooo gorgeous...) but, besides that, he has "it". He has that "it" factor that is so very needed to become a true Hollywood Legand. Yes indeedy, he absolutely positively has "it". What will be very interesting to see is what he continues to do as his career progresses. He is already so daring and takes such amazing risks as an actor...it will be fascinating to see how he maintains and sustains. Personally, I think in a way, he already IS 'a legand', and I don't think that will change. I think he will always make bold risky choices and will stay "true to himself", and to his talent. I'm not saying there won't be or aren't others who might become "legends"...I'm sure there are....for instance, I think Halle Berry has that potential, too....Again, it depends on where she takes her talent or her career....The "biz" is so very different now than it used to be....I think it is more difficult nowadays to achieve the "legend" status...today, many people are famous and infamous and many people are movie stars, but a possible legand...well, I don't know....And "legand" status often has a lot to do with other things besides talent....It will be interesting to see, won't it?


4. Which makes for a better life....really great looks or high IQ? (In your opinion)

Well, in my humble opinion, the answer is IQ. "Looks" can and will go...and they are basically deeply superficial, anyway. A person's intelligence....A person's 'mind' and heart are what will sustain over the long long haul....What you think and feel and what you believe in....are the deeper values that I believe make for a truly meaningful and fulfilling life......These make for a better life, in every way, ultimately.


5. Sorry Naomi but you are being sent to DC to help straighten things out. They must have you! Where are you going to go to do the most good and what is your first order of business? (To make it easier I am giving you a magic wand!)

The first order of business would be to restore all the "civil rights" that have been eroded over these last 6 1/2 years....The so called "Patriot Act"...a misnomer if ever there was one, would be rescineded and all the rights of everyone everywhere would be restored, including all who have been arrested and had their inalianable rights taken away. These rights would immediately be restored so that each person would be represented in a court of law, and not held in a prison without any rights at all. The Geneva Convention would be restored and once again, would be Honored and upheld, protecting the rights of all! I love this Magic Wand that you have given me, Deana....And so, using my wonderful wand, A Woman's Right To Choose would be honored by all three branches of Government. And then, because this is a magic wand, when I wave it just once, all prejudice of every kind---I repeat---Of Every Kind---would be magically removed from each person's heart to be replaced by love....I believe, as did Dr. King, (Dr. Martin Luther King, that is...) that love is the answer...and with love, comes understanding. So understanding would also magically be in each person's heart. And if this happened, there would be a natural end to the war in Iraq and no one would want to go to war with anybody. In other words, there would be no more wars. Next, with my Magic Wand, poverty would be completely abolishd...and everyone would be able to live a productive meaningful life wanting for nothing. This Wonderful Wand would spread the wealth so that the days of "Uber Monopoly's" where only three people own and control everything would be over! The Health Care crises would be over. Everyone would have complete and full Medical coverage. And lastly, all the selfish lying politicians who are only interested in their own personal gain and power at the expense of everyone else would disappear with one wave of my lovely wand...especially if for some inexplicable reason "love and understanding" had not moved into their hearts. At that point they would be considered a lost cause, and with one wave of my wand, they would turn into dust! How am I doing?





More To Come.....







37 Comments:
had this to say:

Only you can take a straightforward set of questions and turn them into a rich, adventurous journey that leaves the reader wondering how to lead a better life.

You're a unique and wonderful person, Naomi. Regarding your list of people you'd surround yourself with, I agree completely with you, with one exception: I'd add you to the list.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 3:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Carmi is right, what a unique outlook you have. And the last question? I'd support you for President ANY DAY! Are you thining of running? Please?

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 4:34:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Naomi! First, I apologize for posting this question in the comment box relating to Deana's questions! But, I was not able to find an email address for you...or possibly, my poor old slow computer just hadn't loaded all of your info yet! Anyway...I know of you and your blog thru Michele's, have visited here numerous times, tho you may not remember me. Anyway...why am I posting? My cousin is visiting me and we were talking genealogy all afternoon and got stuck on some info regarding my great Uncle...Stanley Wilson ( http://www.cnpa.com/Bulletin/index1.html)
and his wife Billie of Palm Springs/LA. (link above can explain who he was) My question is: Did you by any chance know him or his wife Bille? I know it's a long shot, but thought I'd ask you! Any info would be wonderful! Thanks!

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 5:01:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wonderful questions and answers! This really showcases two interesting minds, and I really wish I had just one of those magic wands! Can I be your vice president?

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 5:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved your choice for young gun/hollywood legend....I DO think JD will sustain!

Michele sent me tonight!

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 5:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful answers to great questions! I vote we send Naomi to DC with that magic wand! Who's with me?

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 7:31:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow Naomi you did such a great job answering these! Like Carmi I felt like I was on a journey and I was so excited to see what you had down....each one was incredible. I could just see you in the Amex commercial AND with your wands...that was your best answer by the way!!! I think you SHOULD take the wands and head east!
I agree with Depp. I also think Leonardo DiCaprio might just have it in him too!

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 7:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful ride you took us on with your answers!! I enjoyed that very much! Now how do I get one of those magic wands?? hee hee

Have a wonderful weekend my friend!

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 8:09:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MsT
had this to say:

Naomi, that sounds like a great dinner party! And wonderful backyard guests. I think I would like a giraffe that would let me feed him carrots from my mouth (they kiss you at the same time and are very gentle - lol). Hello from Michele.

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 10:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I second that vote for you to go into office!!!

Saturday, May 5, 2007 at 10:35:00 PM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Naomi come and be PM here - we need you. I loved your list, although I didn't know all of them you described them perfectly.
Lena Horne- the hours I spent trying to sing Honysuckle rose just like her. She was beautiful - right through
Michele says hi!

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 4:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved reading this post!!!
I totally agree with Johnny Deep...he's so talented...and I love that he always goes for an interesting character...

I would love to sit at your commercial table as well;)

Have a great one:)

Maria

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 8:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'd like to be behind the scenes while that commercial is being shot, or a fly on the wall. :)

Johnny Depp DOES have IT!
I agree totally.
What a wide range of abilities he has.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 10:43:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Johnny Depp is yummy :)

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 2:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Depp... he's MY man. What a brilliant and talented actor. Such depth. We just watched Edward Scissorhands last night. One of my favorites!

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 3:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I agree with you - Johnny Depp is a legend right now. He is so unconventional and multi-talented!

Your answers are wonderful - I would love to be a fly on the wall at that dinner!

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 4:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I thoroughly enjoyed reading that. I would love to be at that dinner table. I would be a hoot to just sit back and listen!

michele sent me today.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 5:39:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a marvellous post!! Thank you so much for sharing.

Here via Michele today

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 7:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Depp does have an amazing ability to transcend roles, Naomi. I don't know about Halle Barry though. She's so beautiful and quite an actress but I keep getting a feeling that behind the scenes she has a problem with success.

Patriot Act. This administration has an insidious tendency to put red-white-blue labels on activities that are nearly treasonous to try to make them palatable to the public. It's scary how often they succeed with their PR attempts.

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 7:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great questions! And fantastic answers!!! I think the mastercard ad table would be much better as a dinner table. Man, I would love to have dinner with that crowd!
Michele sent me today!

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 7:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

i love these...great questions even better answers...bravo...stay safe

Sunday, May 6, 2007 at 11:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful stuff Naomi!! I loved your answers! I wish you could get to do that commercial with the ones you have chosen! How fun would that be??!!!

Oh, if only you had a magic wand!

And the deer, how sweet that would be if they all came daily to eat from your hands!!

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 6:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Ohhhhhhhh my heavens! I came in here this morning but after reading the first question new that I did NOT have time at that moment for THIS visit! So I left and came back with my 3rd cup of coffee! SHE really did ask some AWESOME questions! But you really gave some MAGNIFICENT answers! I don't think I could have answered that first question... it would have taken me 5 months and a ton of research to decide on WHO I would choose! You're amazing! But then again ... celebrities R your life!

As for your last answer... whew! That wand hand mega-magic in the hand of Naomi! LOL!!!

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 6:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great post, Naomi, I enjoyed it! I
like the questions and your answers, too. Those meme is interesting because allow us to know more about you!

Thanks for your visit and nice comment on my place. I am looking forward to see your beautiful bookshelves. By the way I remember I see them when you post photos of your birthday!

Have a great week! Hugs!

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 8:05:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Where do I sign up to donate money for airfare, or fairy dust for the wands? We need you desperately in D.C.!

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 10:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great post - so readable and a great way to know you even better and also I'm impressed of what you know!

Your wish for the Deer family was so cute. we have similar kinds in the Norwegian woods you know.

Btw: Thanks for your visit and comments and I'm glad you like the red hatted Lady:-)

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 12:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

gee, it doesn't pay to come late when you post! Everyone has said it all! lol..

love Depp, and agree DiCaprico may have the right stuff too. Too many actors are famous for how much money they make rather then they excellent acting abilities.

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 2:52:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A most interesting set of questions and the scenerio you set up appears to have all the elements of grand conversation with loving and understanding dinner companions....each thoughtfully chosen by a grand hostess.

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 4:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What unique questions! You're doing great so far. You are quite articulate and I'm with ya on Halle Barry! Johnny Depp's face has a beautiful angular bone structure.

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 7:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love getting to read more about your thoughts, and feelings on things:-). I think it would be fun to sit with you and discuss our different views on politics. I think we would have fun:-). Thanks for answering these wonderful questions you have been sent.
Have a great evening!

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 8:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lady of the Hills,
Frankly, given the thoughtfulness of your answers, and the details you provide, I think YOU would be one of the most interesting people to have dinner with !!!
Happy Monday !

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 8:53:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Your magic wand would get rid of 99% of the Congress and DC would be a ghost town. This would include Bill and Hilary as well as the current administration and of course Ted Kennedy and John Kerry. A magic wand would be nice to create peace... unfortunately there is more at work in the world than magic could ever cure.

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 8:57:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Interesting set of questions as usual. Halle Berry is berrylicious! I hope I can ship the deers around my house into your garden hehehehhehe. Also I agree that Johnny Depp is indeed a legend in Hollywood as well!

Monday, May 7, 2007 at 10:07:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Very unique answers, Namomi, and very "you."
I so agree on Depp...love his acting and from what I know, love him as a person.
All great answers and I enjoyed reading them. (And to Deana...great questions too.)

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 at 5:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your answers, Naomi. :)
And your dinner guests are fascinating and thought-provoking.

I love that your have a variety of magic wands, as if each one has its specialty! lol

Enjoyed reading this.
~S

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 at 9:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I like your responses and choices. I'm especially fond of Lena Horne from when I was a young child and first saw her in "Cabin In The Sky." I'm a fan of few, but have been of her always. Loved seeing her one woman Broadway show on PBS a few years ago -- when in her seventies she seductively gradually lowered herself toward the stage and THEN was able to come back up again.

Thursday, May 10, 2007 at 12:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your answer to the dinner party was fantastic! Such interesting people to have!

And I agree with you about Depp. I think his looks got him in the door...and his talent, unique perspective & unconventionality keep him going!

Wednesday, May 16, 2007 at 8:56:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.