Saturday, April 28, 2007
the interview-shephard


Shephard has sent me 5 interview questions and wow, they are great, but they are also hard.....well, some of them are hard, at least for me they are...but they are all really wonderfully interesting and quite thought provoking and so.....I am going to give it my best bestest shot! (Some of these questions are so thought provoking, that they could become an entire post all by themselves.....lol!)

So here goes....

1. Tell us your favorite memory from your favorite city.

Having written extensively about our fabulous day spent in The Cotswolds, (I know, it's not a city...but, that's what I would have written about had I not done six posts about it already....). I was thinking about some other memorable places I have been, and an outstanding memory attached to each of those places....And the first thing that came to mind was....The South Of France...yes, again I know, not a city. But this was a favorite trip of mine and there were many many "favorite" memory's connected to this trip. I guess the one that would have to be at the top of this 'memory list would be sitting outside at a restaurant in Cannes having a lovely delicious dinner in this beautiful city by the sea. It was a lovely balmy summer evening. The food was delicious and the breeze was warm and delightful. I can still remember exactly what I was wearing...it was something I had bought earlier that week in Juan Les Pains!

What made this evening particularly memorable was that it was the night that they landed on the moon for the first time. Sitting and watching the moon, knowing these men were almost there, was exciting and surreal. It was an amazing thing to behold....this full moon....
As we sat there, we couldn't help but think about those three Astronauts and the fantastic trip they were on and how in a few hours a truly historic event was going to take place. An event that had never happened before in the history of the world. It was July, 1969.




2. If you could own 1 piece of famous artwork, what would it be and why do you love it?

Wow! This is a really tough question for me. There are very many works of art that I would love to live with....too many to list, actually. And I feel that right now I already live with some very beautiful art, so it feels almost greedy to want all these other things as well. But having said that, if I could actually have one more great piece of art, it would be a sculpture by Giacomo Manzu. He did many many beautiful and magnificent works of art....not the least of which are the doors at the Basillica, in Rome, (The Doors Of Death)....But the piece I would want I unfortunately cannot find a picture of to show you...So, I will have to post another piece of his that is the same subject matter. It is a Cardinal. He did many of these figures....some standing and some seated. The one I would want is a seated Cardinal. As I said, it is not this one below but one somewhat similar, and it is only somewhat similar because he is seated....and since no two pieces are alike...well, what can I say. Why do I love it? I'm not sure I can put it into words. It moves me. It is a great great sculpture because it captures so much emotion....a sadness, a peaceful quality...it is extremely spiritual to me...I cannot explain it any more than that.


3. If you could create your own flower ("The Naomi"), what would it look like and what color(s)?


In a way, this was the hardest one for me, and truthfully, I'm not completely happy with my answer because in truth, I cannot give you an answer...Why, you ask? Well because, frankly I don't think any of us can improve on nature. Over and over and over nature proves to me in every way that no shape, no color, no size or design can be duplicated by a person or persons....yes, things can be and are 'manipulated' and so on and so forth....but, the original design that nature gave us cannot possibly be beat. Having said that, my "Naomi" flower would look like a "Rose"---that most beautiful and softest of flowers----and it would be in graduating shades of lavender to purple..... Is there such a rose? I don't know. (Maybe Judy knows...Judy...?) But this picture is the closest thing I could find to what is in my mind, and in truth, what is in my mind doesn't even come close to nature as shown in this picture on the right.


4. Of all the famous actors and actresses you've met, whose private personality would surprise us the most?

Oh, Lord....this one is tough, too. (lol) First of all I don't know that many big big stars...I know some famous people and many of them I met before they became 'famous'....(I also know one 'infamous' person, but I won't write about him here....)

Okay. So many of the people I know really fit that expression that Shephard uses....WYSIWYG...pronounced wizzywig...which means What You See Is What You Get.

There is one person that some of you may remember from "The Facts Of Life", Charlotte Rae. She might be surprising because she is a very very bright intelligent woman who is extremely talented, and I would have to say, "pixilated"...! Not in the way we use that word now...but in the old fashioned original way...a very charming pixieish person with a somewhat off kilter kind of personality....You actually can see that in some of the parts that she played on Broadway and elsewhere...You don't particularly see that in "The Facts Of Life"....Actually, she seems kind of 'regular' and usual in that show. Well there is nothing about her that is 'regular' or 'usual', and yet...there is, when you come right down to it....But, like I said, she is wonderfully amazingly 'pixilated'!

5. If you could have starred in any movie, what movie/role and how would you have played it?

Oh, this one is truly impossible, Shephard! (lol) In all honesty I don't think about stuff like that...So to come up with some 'role'...Oy! The thing is, I cannot even come up with a possible part/role....it just isn't me. Sorry about that. The best I can do to is come up with a performance or two on film that I think is perfect. Perfect in every way....Could not be improved upon by me or anyone else. Two performances come to mind immediately, and though I am sure there are more....these are the two I will write about.


First....Bette Davis in "All About Eve". A perfect performance in the most perfect and best film ever made about the Broadway Theatre....ever, ever! Would I like to play that part? Well, only if I could do it exactly like Bette Davis...and may I say, who needs that? We have Bette Davis' fantastic perfect performance already. (Screenplay and Direction by Joseph Mancewitz...) Rent this film if you don't already know it and love it! It is a great great film, truly.



The second performance, a performance I have mentioned before...Kim Stanley in "The Goddess". This was a small independent film that was released in 1958. I am not even sure Netflix has this...Well, all I can say is, I have never seen another performance on film as great as this one, by anyone....I think, for me this is the very greatest performance by an actress ever put on film that I know of or have seen....
It covers a woman's life from the time she is a little girl of four or so, till she is in her mid to late thirty's....It is another 'show business' film, only this time about a young girl who longs to go to Hollywood...She does go, and she becomes a big 'star' and she proceeds to disintegrate before our eyes. Brilliant, Brilliant, Brilliant. Would I want to play that part...Well, only if I could be as great as Kim Stanley was...and again...we already have her fantasticlly moving performance, so we don't need a lesser imitation of any kind )Incidentally, the original Screenplay was by the great Paddy Chayefsky....the brilliant one-of-a-kind writer, who gave us, among other great great films, the film "Network" and predicated in this brilliant incredible film, everything that television has become. This movie was released in 1976. Rent that, too, while you are at it.


So, there you have it. I know I am supposed to post the rules and such for this meme, but I did that already and 9 people asked me to 'interview' them, so at this point I am all questioned out (lol)...I hope you all understand....




More To Come.....







26 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Although we have delicious "pains" in France - even in the South of France - the city you're talking about is "Juan-les-pins" ("pins" means "pines" in English). But these ones tend to disappear because of the forest fires damaging the whole region every summer. Anyway, the area is still beautiful but I guess it's not what it used to be...

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 1:47:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow another new interview. I like the questions and your answers. I think I read about those art pieces you like once. I find it nice as well.

Hope you have a nice weekend Naomi and Michele sent me this time.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 2:06:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Just popped over to see what you are up to and wow what a great post. I had already been to Shephard's and guessed the letter was from you. With regard to the flower- there is a rose called 'Blue Moon' which I once grew - see if it comes anywhere near.
I agree with you about Bette's 'All about Eve'. Didn't Marilyn make a tiny appearance in it? 'Fasten you seat belts! It's gonna be a bumpy evening!'
Here's hoping someone solves the problems with Blogger. More and more peopl;e seem to be suffering.
Have a great week-end!

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 2:53:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I really enjoyed reading this so much.
I LOVED the movie All About Eve...what a performance by Davis and what a story. I'll have to add The Goddess to my list.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 7:38:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

ooh, you're right - these were hard ones! I say, who cares if it's a city or not? It still counts. ;)

I think I'd have the same trouble as you choosing a role, too - the roles I like best are, well, played by people who were already amazing.

Hello from Michele's!

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 10:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow - those are really difficult questions!!

There is a rose called Blue Moon which is absolutely gorgeous....sort of an ice-blue :-)

I'll answer your email when I get home tonight :-)

cq

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 10:24:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Enjoyed reading your interview as it is always, always the case when I come over for a visit :)
What a treat!
And while I was reading your post, a dear friend of mine called from California!!!!! he is Chilean and lives there (not far from LA) with his lovely wife and children. I love it when we notice that it's a small world after all

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 10:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fascinating, as usual and very thorough answers. Speaking as someone whose business it is to ask questions, I wish more people would elaborate as you have.

Here from Michele's,

Mike

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 12:27:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I can tell you have put an awful lot of thought into aswering those questions. They were certainly thought provoking to read nad your answers were wonderful! I do hope there is a flower like the 'Naomi' as it sounds gorgeous :-)

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 2:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What interesting questions and great answers. As always you've taken your time to do it properly in all it's details. Great to know you even better - thanks for sharing!
I think your Naomi-flower is just perfect for you - a great choice!
Wishing you the greatest end to your week:-)

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 3:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, I knew I'd enjoy your answers. :) I was tickled to read about Charlotte Rae... I have always liked her (even before Facts of Life). I love that she's pixelated. :)

All About Eve... love that... we recently saw Sheryl Lee Ralph in "Applause" (it's musical cousin) and were thrilled with it. But you're right... how can you top Betty. Still... I think you might have made a charming Auntie Mame.

Oh that there were purple roses. :)
~S

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 5:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I must say I enjoyed this one and I know it was tough for you!! You did it wonderfully though! The flower you describe is lovely but there are so many, so I can certainly understand how you just can't answer such a question like that!

I always liked Charlotte Rae. It was nice to have more info about her personality.

Hope you are having a great weekend Naomi!! Hugs to you and Sweetie!!

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 7:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How fun. I got interviewed too, I found it a fun meme. You got some great questions.

I learned something here tonight. As "computer literate" I think I might be...I don't always know all the abbreviations. WYSIWYG pronounced whizzy wig, is I think a perfect abbreviation of me :)

For the longest time at my business, we had a client with WALSTIB on his truck. I used to call him Mr. Walstib (DUH)... as the years went by and we became friends... I learned that the logo was from Jerry Garcia... What a long strange trip it's been.

Great answers. You describe old movies so well. I've never been a fan of old black & whites...but then again...I've never watched them much. I think I might have to start :)

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 8:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, thanks for the mention. I wish there was such a thing as a Naomi rose in shades of lavender to purple. There are Sterling Silver roses, in palest lavender, and blue birds, in med. lavender. Blue curiosas are lavender with a hint of rose in them. Those are the most popular and well-known ones at the moment. There are no true purple roses, but there is a purple flower that resembles a rose, and it is called lisianthus. The double variety is often mistaken for a rose.

Charlotte Rae was another favorite of mine; we watched The Facts of Life when my children were growing up, and loved her role in it.

When you were in Cannes having dinner and the astronauts were landing on the moon, I was in the hospital maternity ward. My second child was born on July 15, 1969, and I watched the moon landing coverage from my hospital bed. I was so proud of that moon landing that you would have thought I had something to do with it....LOL.

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 9:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As usual, I forgot to say that Michele sent me. Sorry!

Saturday, April 28, 2007 at 9:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Back again - third time's the charm, right?

You can get intoo Michele's site by using www.bloglines.com, but you will have to open an account with them.

I got a mass email from Michele (maybe you did too). She will check on the problem on Mon. morning.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 10:58:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I read both interviews and they were both fascinating! I think if I could have one work of art that was really famous, it would be a painting by Caravaggio, I love his work.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 1:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I agree with you that those were HARD questions! I think any question that asks for a "favorite" anything is hard.... because it almost always depends upon circumstances. I think you did a FABULOUS job - and I'm very disappointed that you are "questioned out" ... I would have loved to answer your questions! ;)

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 2:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great answers to hard questions! I must try to see "The Goddess" now....I'm on a mission to find it somewhere. eBay, perhaps?! Hahah. Loved the flower question and answer. Those really made me think.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 3:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Sunday !

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 5:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great questions! Nice to learn more about you.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 7:35:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, 1 word that never describes you is "boring." Regardless of your topic, I'm captivated.

Sunday, April 29, 2007 at 8:29:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I was going to say who wouldn't want to play a Goddess?
Her questions were really hard! Good answers...I enjoyed learning more about you. I am glad you did so well with the artwork question. That would have been hard for me!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 4:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I like the questions and your answer is great, too! Those meme allow me to know more about you!

Thanks Naomi for your nice words on ElderAbuseHelp, you was so kind and gentle with me! I appreciate it so much!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 5:04:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Boy that was a tough interview. I understand about the answers needing whole posts. We learn a lot about each other through these interviews though.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 5:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

great post...I love All About Eve...Bette at her finest! I just did a post on Classic Movie lines- of course a line from this made it. Stop by and say hi sometime.

www.rickrockhill.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 16, 2007 at 9:09:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.