Saturday, April 07, 2007
happy easter

I know this is an important religious Holiday to very many people...And to each and every one of you, I wish you a Very Happy Easter....May it be filled with joy and loved ones being close, and the honoring of a solemn and uplifting day....

I remember when I was a little girl and Franklin D. Roosevelt was our President, there was the Easter Egg Hunt on the lawn of The White House. I thought, how wonderful and what fun that had to be. The fun being looking for pretty pastel colored Easter eggs hidden all over the Gardens/Lawn of The White House. I wondered how one could get invited to that?

I have never really known a lot about the history of this tradition, and I still don't, except that it started in 1878....! It's amazing because I thought it started with President Roosevelt, but that's because at that time he was the only President I knew....This picture to the right is Eleanor Roosevelt in 1938 at the White House, greeting the children who were going to participate in the Egg Hunt....It truly does not look like her to me, but it is her. She was 'standing in' for her husband, Franklin Delano Roosevelt, who was in a wheelchair almost all of the time, though we, the public, had no idea that our President was considered disabled, at that time. He was always seated in pictures, or if he was standing----which was rare, it was at a podium where he could hold on to the sides. It is hard to imagine that something like that could have been kept a secret, but it was. The press respected his privacy in this matter, and they respected it for the whole twelve years that he was our President. Yes, 12 years.....It is even more difficult to consider the media keeping anything like that a secret today. Sad to say, the press/tv/tabloids, etc., respect nothing anymore.

Here below, is another picture that I found of Eleanor Roosevelt celebrating Easter at the White House in 1933, the very first year that she was 'The First Lady'.....And below, here are some more photo's of this really special American Tradition, in no particular order....

This picture is from 1898. I'd never seen this before.
I love the little girl in this picture in her 'Easter Bonnet' and carrying her little basket----so ready to collect as many eggs as possible....Sweet, isn't it?

This next picture was during Warren G. Harding's tenure...it was taken on Easter Monday, 1921, the tradional day for the annual Easter Egg Hunt at The White House. It has always been the Monday after Easter Sunday.... It looks like it was a very lovely warm day....Some of the pictures through the years of this great tradition show people in winter coats and hoods...and then there are the rainy-day pictures, too....but like the Post Office, the Easter Egg Hunt at The White House goes on no matter what. Well, except for the World War 2 years when it was suspended and then, after the war through the White House renovation.

It was 1953, during Dwight D. Eisenhower's tenure that the Easter Egg Hunt finally resumed---Post War & Post Renovation.... In this picture above, Dwight D. Eisenhower's two grandchildren---Anne and David, joined in for the Easter Egg Hunt that Monday....David Eisenhower later married Richard Nixon's daughter, Julie. And for those who might not know or remember, Dwight D. Eisenhower was our 34th President and the picture above was taken during his first Easter in The White House, April, 1953.....

This next picture is from 1929....later in that year the stock market would crash and the Great Depression would begin in a big way, plunging our country into a horrendously horrible time...and what saved this country was Franklin D. Roosevelt's drastic but brilliant measures.... These boys in the picture look like they are having a great time, don't they? No clue, that the country would soon be in this terrible terrible time which would go on for years....A time that one hopes we will never ever experience, again...

Skipping waaaay ahead in time...Here we have a staple of Easter...The Easter Bunny. Even at the White House, the Easter Bunny makes an appearance....And most of the time The Easter Bunny is really a White House staffer inside the bunny costume....This picture above was Easter of 2003....What a darling costume....He is a very tall Easter Bunny, isn't he?

And then, below, another Easter Bunny from 1982.... I love that there are certain "musts" each year, for the Easter Egg Hunt at The White House, and The Easter Bunny is a definite "must"....

Another 'must', of course, are the eggs, themselves.... It kind of takes the magic out of it to see these eggs all boxed up arriving at The White House, doesn't it? But in truth, they have to come from some place.....Click on this paragraph and you'll find out where they came from.....Here we see these boxes of eggs sitting and waiting for whomever it is that unpacks them and takes them to be dyed. Later someone or many someone's puts them all out there on the lawn. And then all the children scamper about and try to pick up as many eggs as they possibly can....






And even the grown ups get into the spirit of the day...Here is an 'adult' Easter Bunny Lady....I love the whole picture...Fun, Fun, Fun 'make-up', and those bunny ears just make the whole thing work!




Here below is a beautiful drawing of an Easter Egg which I believe was used on the invitation to the White House Easter Egg Hunt for 1996....



I want you all to know that I realize that Easter is a serious religious Holiday for many many people and I respect that and honor that. But there is and always has been this lighter side to the day....The lighter side includes.....

Easter Bonnet's,


Easter Eggs....

The Easter Bunny......
And of course, Chocolate...!



Wonderful Chocolate...... I wish each and every one of you, (however you celebrate the day.....)

A Very Very Happy Easter




More To Come......








34 Comments:
had this to say:

Hey Ooloth I enjoyed your post it makes a change to not have the religious side pushed down our throat....

Although I respect peoples beliefs it is difficult not to be slightly irked sometimes ;o

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 3:04:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Good Saturday morning Lady of the Hills,
What wonderful history and great pictures ! Thank you !
I didn't know any of it, and it was fascinating to learn. How nice of you to have shared that information about our past and how we celebrated it !
Sincerely,
Loving Annie

p.s. for some strange reason I cannot sign in here with my google account, so my teacup logo isn't showing up / I have to sign in as anonymous. That also happenned to me yesterday !

p.s.s. I'm going to add you to my links ! I like reading and visiting here !

http://www.lovingforyourheart.blogspot.com

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 5:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I spent many a Easter Monday down at the White House for the Easter Egg Hunt and roll on the white house lawn! Your pictures brought back some very pleasant memories. Unfortunately I have no pictures of my own... my parents weren't "in" to taking photos... *sigh*... But they sure were fun!

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 7:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great post, Naomi! The photos, esepcially the old ones, are terrific. How nice it is that you wish those of us who celebrate it, a Happy Easter. We appreciate it!

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 8:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

LOL... what a contrast to my "bah humbug" Easter post!!! You, of course, are so much kinder about the whole thing. ;)

Cute bunny pics!!! And thanks for stirring up my chocolate cravings!

Here by way of michele today.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 10:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I always feel smarter after I've visited you!

I've always known about the White House Easter Egg Hunt, but your pictures and commentary have made it spring to life in my imagination. Thank you.

Your post was the perfect combination of respect for the origin of the holiday, and delight in its lighter side.

Too many people have forgotten one or the other, or, sadly, both.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 10:59:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

In our young years, we didn't celebrate Easter in our house because we were a Jewish home, but back then my entire family gathered at my Mother's home where we enjoyed a dinner complete with all the traditional fixings and just being together. There our children helped color the eggs to hide and took pleasure in the special Easter baskets that "Nana" prepared for each of them which held jelly beans, marshmallow chicks and a large chocolate bunny with their names on them. It's a fond memory that we all repeated at Christmas. As practicing Jews and Christians, my family simply loved being together in every way,
honoring all timeless traditions and holidays alike.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 12:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Have a wonderful Easter full of sweet surprises;)

M.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 2:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow. I don't know where you get these pictures Naomi, but they are just great!! It was very interesting to read about the egg hunts at the White House. I didn't get an invite when I was a kid!! LOL

That's a lot of eggs that they have to boil and dye. What a chore, but I'm sure they had ample folks to cover it!

Thanks for another great post and Easter wishes Noami. Give Sweetie a kiss for me!! :)

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 3:17:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Just popped into say hello Naomi and I enjoyed the pictures. I remember as a child thinking Franklyn D Roosevelt was the bees's knees.
I'm wondering if collecting eggs was an American tradition. We didn't do it as children but the grand children do it.
I have eaten far too much chocolate these last few days.xoxox

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 3:38:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What fascinating pictures & stories, I'm much more about the eggs, bunny & spring celebration myself & I, like Oracle, enjoy not having the other aspects right in my face all the time.
My favorite is that beautiful Easter greeting card you have at the top of your post, I love the older greeting cards like that- just beautiful.
Here from Micheles tonight,

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 5:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for the Easter wish and for the pictures of the Easter Egg Hunt. What fun!
Hope your Sunday is marvellous as well.

Kendra

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 7:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

happy Easter, naomi.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 7:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for the Easter wish and for the pictures of the Easter Egg Hunt. What fun!
Hope your Sunday is marvellous as well.

Kendra

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 7:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I always learn something new when I visit you Naomi. :) Who is the teacher here?? Did you celebrate Passover? Seder?

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 8:11:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

We always had the Easter Bunny growing up as did Nyssa. But we primarily celebrate the gift Christ gave by his death on the cross and his resurrection.

I may post about one very funny memory of Easter..... still thinking on it.

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 8:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Easter Naomi! What a wonderful post!! I had never heard of this tradition, but it's such a wonderful & heartwarming one, I am glad I now know about it! Holly went on her own Easter Egg hunt this morning - the Easter Bunny had left lots of little pink eggs for her to find in our back garden, and she was absolutely thrilled with it all! Hope you have a wonderful day! Thanks again for sharing!!

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 8:54:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great post as always! Happy Easter! Eat lots of chocolate. ;)

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 9:48:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hee hee - I was waiting for you to throw "chocolate" in there! I hope you have a nice Easter!

Saturday, April 7, 2007 at 11:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Easter to you Naomi. Those photos from all those years back are wonderful aren't they? (Do you know how much I would love those boxes of Easter Eggs to be delievered to my home? hehe)

Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 1:00:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Good Morning Naomi. This time Michele sent me and I hope Easter day finds you well and happy.
I love all your post but the card at the top is especially enchanting.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 3:41:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Dear Naomi,
It snowed here in D.C. Sat. morn. (Pix of Deer in my snowy yard are on my blog!)

I've been away from visiting favorite blogs like yours far too long. LOVE this post, rich in history, glorous pix, particularly love the adult woman costumed as a bunny (I love to dress in costume- am an amateur, not like you), and any holiday with chocolate rocks!

This is a very holy day to many of my friends and those around the world. I learned so much by reading here. We're Jewish, although I am VERY non-traditional; still, I've never been on an Easter Egg hunt, especially because Easter is usually during Passover, since Jesus' Last Supper was a Passover meal, as I'm sure you know.

That snow melted quickly but it's still very cold here! I don't know if the annual Easter egg fun was held at the White HOuse this morning. I bet it was even in the cold since there is no more snow coming down. It is looked forward to by so many. To see the kids' and adults' faces warms my heart, even though I see it on TV, although I live so close by.

If you celebrated Pesach, in your heart, at a seder, or any which way, Happy Passover. If not, warm wishes for any time of year. I always think of you with a smile (and sometimes a glint in my green eyes.)
xxoo,
Green-Eyed Lady (GeL)

Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 6:01:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I often wonder where we would be if we didn't have traditions like these. I wonder if life would be as rich, as rewarding, as much fun to navigate.

Nah, it wouldn't be.

Thankfully we have you to remind us why this is so important to all of us. Touchstones make all the difference in the world.

Hope you have a wonderful Easter, Naomi. For all the joy you bring to others, I hope today brings you some joy as well.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 6:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

wow what fantastic pictures at the white house!.. I, myself was never there lol..

I hope you have a wonderful Easter Naomi!!

Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 7:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Happy Easter!

You know, the Thanksgiving Turkeys provided to the White House also come from here (PA)!

How neat.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 9:31:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a great post! Lots of great photos and information. You certainly did some homework on this one.
I adored Eleanor, so really enjoyed that you included her.
A Happy Easter Day to you, Naomi. And also SO glad you included that chocolate. (wink, wink)

Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 1:18:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hallo Naomi! Happy Easter to you! I really dont know either when the tradition of egg hunting during Easter began. Since I grew up with a different Easter tradition.

I do agree that the media before has class rather than now which are compose of hungry paparazzis.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 2:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great post. (again) I loved the photos! Thanks, too, for the adorable e-card. It brought a big smile to my face. =) See??!! Hope you are enjoying your day, i'll save you some chocolate!

Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 3:13:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a lovely post, Naomi. Fun and informative too! That little girl's Easter bonnet looks like a fruit basket! Today I was thinking about some of the gawdawful Easter bonnets me and my sisters wore. I might like to go to a White House egg hunt after seeing this. Joe is from the DC area. We had a nontraditional Easter adventure this year.

Sunday, April 8, 2007 at 8:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Lovely Easter post and those old pics are great. Thank you for your Easter wishes. I got a chocolate bunny for Easter so I am quite happy. I hope you had a great day too :-)

Monday, April 9, 2007 at 3:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That was fabulous!
Thank you so much!
I really enjoyed my visit!
I think Hubby found the problem with the internet.
Fingers crossed.
Huggles and Love,
Raggedy

Monday, April 9, 2007 at 6:35:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh yum, chocolate! I cannot imagine having to dye all of those eggs! I wonder if they're already hardboiled when they arrive.
I've never seen a picture from above & had no idea the yard was so huge.

Monday, April 9, 2007 at 1:34:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, I think that's the best bunny costume I've ever seen. What a great face!

One of the things I love about chocolate this time of year... is all the pretty pastel foil wrappers. Love the foil! :)

~S

Monday, April 9, 2007 at 3:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so glad you didn't forget to mention the chocolate. Oh, yes. The chocolate!!!!

I like that Easter Bunny Lady too. She looks so neat!

What a great history that egg hunt has.
I bet any kids who participate in the one at the White House probably never forget their experience there.
What fun!

Monday, April 9, 2007 at 5:27:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.