Monday, April 30, 2007
all nature, all hail

A birdie having a lovely snack....this piece of fruit is really yummy...And this dear fella and his friends know it and I am so glad I have something like this in my garden so that these sweet birds have a fresh sweet meal....and as you can see, this fruit has been devoured...! I love that you can see that little bit of fruit right there on his beak...like I said, this fruit is yummy...!

And taking a little bit of a rest before going on to the next piece of fruit...Or maybe he was done and just thinking about what a great meal he had! Personally, I think he was just resting here in this next picture, before continuing on to eat some more....
Here is another little creature...you have seen him before, but not this picture....What a great great beauty he is...His colorful body is so vivid...And look at that eye....! Fantastic! He is a little over an inch long, and those antenii are very very long....How delicate his legs are....I love the design of his body, don't you?

I love these next two pictures....The plant is a Senecio, and the white puffs are what is left after the plant has flowered so profusely...talk about delicate.... Each of these little delicate puffs is a potential plant....A wind can blow them to the ground and wherever they land, they root. Truly. They get blown to the ground so easily and there are so many of them that they root and grow without you doing one thing. And they root anywhere there is soil, wether on the ground or in a pot. See the two small little green things in this next picture?Those are the baby Senecio's which, as the spring moves on, you will see more and more of these little things growing out of the soil all over the place. So much so, that you really have to pull them out as you would with weeds....But, indeed, they are not weeds! And if you don't pull them out this is how they look as they start to get bigger.

They are rather spindly with just a bit of those lovely leaves on top And then, as time goes on, they can become do become a gorgeous tall plant with many arms and with these extremely lush leaves everywhere.... I love this picture above of that beautiful Senecio with the Bougenvilla in front of it...And here below is a close up of one of the arms...It is smooth to the touch and very very strong....I love the little round white scars on it. There is something about putting your hand around this sturdy arm that feels really secure and great! I cannot explain it, but I can feel it as I write this. Wonderful!.....Here below, another view of this beautiful plant.... This is one of my very favorite plants in my garden. It was one of the first plants I discovered that I had never seen before----this was 21 years ago---and something about it...something about the whole plant spoke to me. I LOVE everything about it....everything!

What else? Oh yes....a few more 'flower' beauty's....at different stages of life.... On the wane...but still very very beautiful....

And here below are three pictures of one really beautiful flower as it was waning....each picture in this series of three, is two days after the one before it...and to me---each stage is beautiful..... And here below, two days later.... And then below....two days after that..... All fascinating and all beautiful in my view.....!



NOTE: This was a rather long post and I will probably leave it up a bit longer than usual....I had no idea I was going to cover so many things of nature when I began this post....but I enjoyed putting it together, very very much....





More To Come.....








33 Comments:
had this to say:

Nice sharp pictures! I love the idea of putting out a piece of fruit for birds! I'm going to try it!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 4:17:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I think it makes you feel good knowing that you have helped create and environment good for the birds, bugs, etc. A place where you know they can find a good meal!

Great shots!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 4:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Nipped in on my lunchbreak to see what's a-happenin' in the Hills - and what a glorious sight!!

What a cute little guy the birdie is - and OMIGOD the grasshopper is breath-taking in his detail....

[doffs crown] you are, indeed, the Queen of nature photography.....

:-)

cq

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 4:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

lol I love the bird doing the splits to get at the food! hahaha..

I do love when you get in close and personal with your plants.. just gorgeous Naomi!..

good think you knew what the seedlings looked like and didn't pull them out, they are pretty neat looking when they get a bit bigger!!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 5:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, please don't apologize for writing a slightly longer post. It could have been 3 times this long and I'd still be reading. I love your photos and seeing all your wonderful plants and the wildlife they sustain.

The last photo of the dying ranunculus is gorgeous - it reminds me of a fairy, dancing in a pretty orange skirt!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 5:47:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Good morning, Naomi! So beautiful
this little bird having a snack of this fruit! You did a good job here! Love also Senecio plant and the white puffs are so delicate, looks like a flake of cotton!

Have a nice week!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 5:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Birds usually get a small nibble here or there, then have to search for another nibble. Birds that find your garden are in cuisine paradise! They will have to join BOA - Birds Overeaters Anonymous.

The white fluffies look just like those dandelions I used to pick and blow into the air as a kid.

I marvel at the design of insects, but I am SO glad they aren't any bigger than they are. A fifty pound cockroach or a foot long centipede would scare me into cardiac arrest!!

Nature's beauty is amazing.
I've been seeing bright red cardinals lately. They are vivid against the greenery. I'm never bored with them. Each sighting is a special moment.

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 7:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

shalom old old lady...loved your post and the pictures...and wrote the answers to your quetions on my blog...tagged you...loved the questions...took me longer than i thought to answer them...great fun...thanks...stay safe

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 8:28:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Your rapport with nature is truly amazing, Naomi.
I just love that bird and the fruit! How neat that you have that available for them to enjoy.
All of your photos are just gorgeous, as always.
Oh...and how I'd love for you to blow some of that "puff" my way! How awesome that they root where they land. I really like that.

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 8:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wonderful! I just love the photos of that little bird having his lunch with my favourite being the one with the fruit in his beak. Absolutley wonderful!

Your set of pics really do illustrate the beauty and variety of nature but of course we know that this is just the tip of the iceberg! Lovely photos :)

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 10:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I liked the pictures of the bird eating the cactus bulb. We get a lot of cactus in west Texas and you see prickly pear blooms everywhere. They even sell the prickley pear at Fiesta and many of the Mexicans buy it and eat it. I hear it is very healthy.

I loved your flower pictures too.

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 12:14:00 PM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Oh what a sweet little bird. What a great shot! Still love your flower pix the best. Still enjoying the calendar by the way. :-)

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 1:01:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What beautiful pictures! It makes me want to go to California & see the cacti for myself!
Here from Micheles.

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 1:21:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi,just wanted to say thanks for sharing once again. Great Photo's, Here in NYS, our birds are just a little confused, a week ago there was over a foot of snow, Still a little cool. today, But going to look for my humming bird feeder, we have several, that stop by. pat

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 2:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous gorgeous gorgeous!!! I love that little bird - and the praying mantis - and the wonderful weed! (i do think it IS a weed - but some weeds DO grow to be beautiful plants!) But then... what defines a weed?

I have posted your questions! I HOPE I have done them justice! (and IT is a loooong post too!) LOL!

Monday, April 30, 2007 at 3:27:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

again beautiful pictures!! I love the little bird!!

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 12:15:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I've just had a coffee after working my butt off with boring housework and what a reward to see the flora an fauna of Naomi's garden. It fascinates me to see the difference -even the birds look different.
I could even learn a bit of botany with your gentle teaching.xoxox

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 3:35:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

BTW we have some bushes with black coloured berries which the birds love and then leave navy blue deposits everywhere:)

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 3:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Not only is the flower lovely, the bird too. You do really have great plants in your garden. Those flowers below sure are so colorful.
Thanks for passing by.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 3:55:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

There is never a dull moment over there because the plants keep changing like the sky. I too LOVE the feathery pointed plant. You must have an excellent camera to zoom in so close.

I'm almost done with my Q & A. I did two rounds as well.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 5:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I really like the pictures of the Senecio, Naomi. It is a neat looking plant. I wish somethng like that would grow here--but too cold in the Winter and probably too much rain in the Spring.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 12:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I esp. love the bird & fruit and the yellow cabbagey rose with the blue background... really lovely.
~S

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 7:48:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

The flowers are exquisite and the little bird is precious. I love to catch them with something in their little beaks. Reminds me I need to refill the feeder in the morning.

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 9:45:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

So beautiful. I think if I could pick a favorite type of post, it would be the ones of your plants. Though that's such a difficult decision. :)

Tuesday, May 1, 2007 at 11:20:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Beautiful. You know, my little garden is not as nearly as interesting as yours and many plants just decided to grow right here, but ever since I have seen your pics I look at my own garden with more alert eyes, trying to capture every little detail out there, finding nature's beauty in many green plants I had just been overlooking before...
Thanks. And have a wonderful day :)

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 12:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those are such beautiful pics, as usual, Naomi.
Thanks for sharing.

Kendra

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 6:42:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, My answers to your milion dollar questions are posted!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 1:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love watching birds eat. Cute!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 1:46:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Beautiful post and by the way wish me luck!

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 2:15:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

ofzsuiflSpringtime and nature in all it's glory make my heart sing...lovely to look at, delightful to know and heaven to feel. Your garden speaks to me of everything bright and beautiful.

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 4:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Sorry I haven't been around in a bit but life has been busy ... school on Monday night and chairing an AGM last night.

What kind of fruit is that? It looks so colourful!

I feel like I've actually taken a tour of your garden. Thanks :)

Wednesday, May 2, 2007 at 6:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The April 30th post with the orange roses... I always think those kinds of roses look cabbagey. :)
~S

Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 1:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am late getting here. Just been very busy lately with hubby, but we're okay!!

The little white things that blow around and are seeds are like the dandelion!

Lovely pictures Naomi!!

Thursday, May 3, 2007 at 2:33:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.