Wednesday, August 29, 2007
emmy viewing - 3

So, the third categry in this marathon voting for the Emmy's was another "program" category...This one is:

OUTSTANDING MADE FOR TELEVISION MOVIE

This was an interesting category for a couple of reasons...There was somewhat of a spillover from the Outstanding Actor In A Minseries Or Movie, because two of the films I had to view I had watched for the acting category. I did watch them again because I now needed to consider these movies from the point of view of the 'whole', not just one performance....And just to remind you: I have already voted and sent in my ballot and my signed affidavit......So, here they are, in alphabetical order.

BURY MY HEART AT WOUNDED KNEE This film was sent on two DVD's...though it was billed as a movie, it was more like a miniseries, to my way of thinking. It is the story of one particular Indian tribe's tribulations with the 'White Man's indifference in the early days of our country to the importance of their land being sacred ground, through the eyes of two different people of that tribe....I believe this was based on the book of the same name, though how closely this film mirrors the book, I honestly don't know. It is a disheartening look at how the United States treated the Indians in their own country. A sobering look, once again, though not any new information here....What makes this film interesting is that we become personally involved with the two story's.




INSIDE THE TWIN TOWERS



This was a very interesting film because it combined archival footage, current interviews with survivors and re-enactments of their story's using actors playing each of them....Very well done and very very moving, too....This is not an easy film to watch but a truly valient effort by the filmakers to personalize this horrific attack on our country and from the point of view of a few of those that survived and lived to tell the tale. I defy anyone watching this film to not be moved.

LONGFORD This was one of the two films I had seen because of the performances involved, and particularly in this case Jim Broadbent in the title role. This is based on the true story of Lord Langford, who supported a woman who had committed murder, based on his feeling that she was a reformed person and should be allowed to be paroled from prison, having served her time. It is really about redemption and forgiveness and "belief"....A powerful movie with a lot of twists and turns.


THE RON CLARK STORYA very inspiring film, based on the true story of Ron Clark, a teacher who worked in a school in Harlem, bringing a class of young people from the worst class in every way to the 'best'! It is the story of his struggle to inspire these young people and show them that they had so much more potential than they were ever given credit for....A wonderful story of hope and the value of learning.

WHY I WORE LIPSTICK TO MY MASTECTOMYThis was a surprising film because the name alone might make you feel it was just a lot of fluff....Nothing could be further from the truth. It is the story of one young woman's fight to survive, and her journey to deciding what was best for her through her own personal research and the courage to do what she finally felt was the right way for her....Another inspiring well written and well made film that was funny in places, yes, but was ultimately very moving in every way.




So there you have it. Let me say, that all these films are wonderfully written, have terrific performances by all the actors and each of these films is lovingly and beautifully directed. Again, the voting was based on the numbers ONE through FIVE.....ONE, being best, and giving each nominee one number...using each number only once....(That is the worst sentence I have ever written...lol)

So, how would you rate these films, assuming you have seen them...?



More To Come......







27 Comments:
Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Voting is truly hard work!
My favorite would be Why I wore lispstick to my mastectomy because of your description... I will probably come back through Miss Wings' casting call and because I am a woman I can then change my mind, lol.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 11:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How interesting, Naomi! What a life you lead! These all sound pretty fascinating.~

Guess what I saw for the first time ever, the night before last?
"My Sister Eileen"!
Loved it~ the refreshing characters, the cut-sharp dancing, the funfunFUN! Betty and Janet had such dainty feet....and I loved the "hat" dance between the two men, outside the audition building!

Thoroughly enjoyed all of it! ~
Tell Dear Betty that she's still making us smile, all these years later....

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 11:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

well poop! I have only seen one of those.. Longford. (that was because Andy Serkis was in the movie and I want to see anything he does) So I sure couldn't vote on this one..

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 1:16:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Good Wednesday evening to you, Naomi !
I haven't see any of the films.
I posted your meme today !
Loving Annie

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 6:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

*making sure to read.every.word. and not just skim this time* ... LOL! *blush*

Well, I actually DID see Inside The Twin Towers... how'd that happen? And it was very good... very sad, of course. The mastectomy one sounds very interesting though. I might actually have to see that one. Otherwise... you know... I'm cinematically challenged. You can feel free to comment about that in the "A" section of my Middle Name Meme... which is now up! Finally.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 7:29:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I can't believe I have not seen one of these...and they star some fave actors too. That's a lot of viewing and deciding but at least you can watch them commercial free! I used to be aces at TV trivia but it's changed so much that I find myself flipping through the million channels saying 'there's nothing on'. I am tired of hospital emergency rooms...lawyers battling....sitcoms that don't make me laugh out loud. Watching the Emmys now, which I always have, I find myself saying "who's that?" tsk tsk!
I watch a lot of Turner Classic Movies...now that's entertainment!ha!
Good luck on the voting!

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 7:59:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I've never heard of any of those movies, but your description makes them all sound appealing. I think I'd like to see 3 of them, Bury my Heart, My Mastectomy and Longford.

Wednesday, August 29, 2007 at 8:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for letting us know how the Emmy voting system works. I've really enjoyed these posts!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 12:54:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I would probably go for Bury My Heart, 'cos it covers the interesting and tumultuous period between the victory of Little Big Horn and the massacre at Wounded Knee.

I would hope that it fairly represents both Indian and White Man during that time.

I would probably watch Longford, but us Brits would be nervous about Lord Longford being portrayed as anything other that a rather midguided do-gooder. We didn't call him Loony Lord Longford for nothing - the imprisoned woman he was championing was Myra Hindley, found guilty of five child/teen murders along with Ian Brady - known as the Moors Murderers.

cq

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 1:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Quick note to add - I done did your meme. It was WAY harder than I thought it would be....

cq

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 3:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Geez... haven't seen any of the films you list but then again, I haven't seen Gone With The Wind Yet so I'm a little behind the times...LOL!

Just dropped by to say greetings, have seen you on other blogs I visit and I'll certainly be back!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 6:28:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I haven't seen any of them? Where have I been? Our in the garden I guess.

We found out that Cafe Del Sol owners went on vacation and forgot to schedule and employee to open that Saturday.

You just missed my 13. Check out the ocean froth photos when you come. They are shocking.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 6:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

All these movies sound quite interesting as you describe them. Having watched much live coverage of 9/11 on that day, I haven't been quite ready to view the movie. I felt the same about Schindler's list as memories of WWII movie newsreels I saw as a young girl stayed with me into adulthood. I finally rented the DVD of it and found it to be more watchable than I anticipated; not as I had feared. Perhaps this 9/ll movie will be the same.

Coincidentally, I was living in AZ when the book BURY MY HEART...was released years ago. I attended an emotion-enducing reading by the then unknown author. I think this is the movie I will want to see first, but I couldn't say which of these should actually win the Emmy. I'll trust your judgement on this.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 6:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How on earth do you compare apples with pears?! These programmes seem so different to me that I wpuld find this very hard work, especially considering the talent that is involved with making each one. This must have been a very difficult decision for you once more!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 7:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

sadly I didnt get to see any of them

but I live in Germany so they may come later... I will keep an eye out for them

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 8:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't see any of them, Naomi, so I hope that they will come out of DVD.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 11:48:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Dropping by to leave a hello and a link I thought you would enjoy :)

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 1:12:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Again....I haven't seen any of these, but I must say they ALL sound terrific and it must have been a difficult choice for you.
But....Based on the plot, I'd give a #1 to Longford and #2 to Twin Towers....not sure about the others.
How neat that you get to watch all of these. As I said, they all sound very good.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 1:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What an exciting adventure you are on!

And I haven't seen or heard of any of these shows. Ha!

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 7:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This must have been a hard nut to crack.
I do know how I would have voted, as these stories are very different. Honestly, I believe my own mood, there and then when seeing each of them would have mattered. So, I might have seen each of them two times, on different times of day.

Even your great presentation could not help me this time.

Thursday, August 30, 2007 at 10:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well, I didn't see any of those movies, but from your descriptions, I can see that each one had value in its story. I think I'd enjoy the Wounded Knee one and the Longford one.
People in the movie business really pour their lives and hearts into the stories of their films, whether they are based on true stories or not.
I think movies that are able to reach into us and trigger emotional responses are to be commended.
It's the coming together of great writing, great acting, and great directing, editing, and producing.
No wonder certain movies don't come off as big successes. The amount of work that has to go into it is a LOT plus all the pieces have to end up fitting together and making the movie "work."

Friday, August 31, 2007 at 2:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm much more interested on how you would rate them, since my opinion is only an opinion - yours means so much more!

I love hearing about these behind the scenes goings-on you have!

Michele sent me,

Mike

Friday, August 31, 2007 at 5:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

So how did you get to be an emmy viewer? That sounds like hard work, but enjoyable if you like watching movies. My DH would be in his glory. He Loves movies. Sadly I havent seen any of them. I havent had much time for movies lately. The little one keeps me very busy! Thanks for stopping by again, and thanks for the prayers. I appreciate it!

Michele sent me back :)

Friday, August 31, 2007 at 5:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi -- I have to agree on Broadbent: I am ashamed to say (having grown up in the UK) that I know little of his early work -- but his later stuff is great. I just watched (much of) Topsy Turvy, and he was very good in that too.
Michele sent me, but I do come and visit by myself sometimes!
N.

Friday, August 31, 2007 at 8:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As someone else said apples and oranges, such a hard choice.
I would probably go with Lord Longford but not having seen any of the shows I can't really say.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 at 1:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

perhaps someone needs to invent the emmy channel...showing all past emmy nominees and winners. i'd love it.

haven't seen any of these *sigh*. anytime you need a viewing partner, i'm a freeway away :0)

mck.

Saturday, September 1, 2007 at 12:55:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Among the Outstanding Made for Tv films I've seen, I loved The Ron Clark Story so that would be my pick in this category.

Wednesday, September 5, 2007 at 3:52:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.