Friday, August 10, 2007
"CAGNEY & LACEY"

Here is a truly wonderful interesting and fascinating book that I want to recomend to one and all....Especially if you remember this fabulous television series...or, even if you don't remember it but you are interested in the inner workings of 'the business of telvision', and what can happen and does happen sometimes to the Best of The Best....And this series was one of the very best, ever! Barney Rosenzweig, the writer of this book and the Producer of the series, is a very old friend....I met him in 1965 and we are still friends today....As a matter of fact, when "CAGNEY & LACEY" was on it's way to becoming a two hour movie-for-television, way before it ever became a series, Barney approached me, along with a few other composers, to write a 'song' to be used as the theme of the film. He explained what they were looking for, and I wrote what I thought was what he wanted. Made a demo tape of it, singing the song myself and submitted it to him. Needless to say, it was not chosen...lol! But it was wonderful to have the opportunity to even be considered for this project.I was fortunate enough to read this book when it was still just a manuscript because Barney wanted my opinion. I was flattered that he would ask me and was happy to read it and I absolutely loved it! I told him it was like a 'primer' on how to produce a television series in Hollywood! This book has everything. It is a fascinating history of a particular time in television...and it has enough gossip to satisfy the earnest reader who likes some of that...but it is not a gossip book by any means. It is a serious work and an in depth look at the fascinating and often treacherous world of series television."Cagney & Lacey" was a truly inovative series for it's time, with wonderful actors---Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless, both of whom walked away with quite a few Emmy's between them, and the show itself was highly aclaimed and recieved many many awards and rightfully so. Barney is a very very good writer and, trust me, you won't be disapointed reading this very special book....Here below is a review from Publisher's Weekly. This guy agreed with me, I'm happy to say, and though he doesn't use the word 'primer', he pretty much says what I said to Barney a few years ago. This is an easy read, too...so do yourself a favor and pick this up at Amazon, or wherever.....You won't be sorry.



FROM PUBLISHERS WEEKLY:



CAGNEY & LACEY Ride Again, by Kevin Howell-June 18, 2007


I just finished reading a wonderful book called Cagney & Lacey…and Me: An Inside Hollywood Story by Barney Rosenzweig, who produced all seven seasons of the seminal TV show about two women who were police officers (rather than two cops who were women--there's a big difference). The 387-page book is published by the print-on-demand company iUniverse ($22.95 paper, ISBN 978-0-595-41193-1) and became available in May to tie-in with the DVD release of the first season of Cagney & Lacey starring Tyne Daly and Sharon Gless.
Just as William Goldman’s Adventures in the Screen Trade is considered a bible for screenwriters, Rosenzweig’s new memoir offers a Master Class for television producers. Backtracking only briefly to set up his credentials (his 1980 miniseries John Steinbeck’s East of Eden was an Emmy winner, while his stint producing 11 episodes of Charlie’s Angels was “the worst experience of my professional life in Hollywood”), the bulk of this compulsively readable and audaciously entertaining autobiography deals with producing Cagney & Lacey (plus the original TV movie that starred Loretta Swit and Daly and the four TV movies that Gless and Daly made after the show was cancelled).
The female cop show was a family affair: it was co-created by Rosenzweig’s then-wife Barbara Corday and co-starred Gless, who would become his wife after the show ended. A critical success (during its run, Daly won a leading actress Emmy for her role four times while Gless won twice; and the show won Best Drama Series twice), the show gained a foothold with audiences and the media thanks to Rosenzweig’s close relationship with pro-feminists contacts. Gloria Steinem's Ms. magazine took the show under its wing early on with a cover story written by feminist film historian Marjorie (Popcorn Venus) Rosen about the original 1981 TV movie. The article was followed by an addendum by Steinem, inviting readers, "If you would like to see Cagney & Lacey expanded into a television series..." followed by instructions on where to write. It worked.
CBS ordered six episodes and Loretta Swit (who was still working on M*A*S*H) was replaced by Meg Foster as Christine Cagney. With unspectacular ratings, the show was cancelled. Bowing to the networks insistance on recasting Meg Foster and Rosenzweig's promise to be a coupon-clipper on the show's budget, the network relented and ordered more episodes for a second season. The second season (which was just released on DVD, altho carefully billed as "The True Beginning") brought Sharon Gless onboard as Christine Cagney, the third actress to play opposite Daly's MaryBeth Lacey.
Despite the fact that Daly won an Emmy award for this season, CBS cancelled the show. This time, Rosenzweig organized a grass-roots letter-writing campaign where he invited fans to save the show by not writing to the network, but to their local newspapers and the Los Angeles Times and New York Times. The fans forced the network to admit it was wrong and brought the show back again.
There’s still plenty of drama ahead with network interference, star egos, writers’ strikes, lawsuits, corporate takeovers, and on-the-set affairs but Rosenzweig holds his narrative reins tight and is an illuminating and sanguine tour guide to the treacherous landscape of network television.
If MGM's DVD branch had the ingenuity of Rosenzweig, they'd buy up copies of this book to plastic-wrap together with the next season release of Cagney & Lacey and create a real value package that no Cagney & Lacey fan would want to miss.

Incidentally, Sharon is on a new series on the USA Network, called "Burn Notice"....It is great to see her on television in a series, once again....She was fabulous on "Queer As Folk", and she was stunningly wonderful in a Mini Series on BBC America that was on earlier this year, called "The State Within". And for those of you who may not know, Sharon and Barney are married to each other, and guess who performed the ceremony....!



More To Come.......







48 Comments:
Blogger Pat
had this to say:

Yippee! I'm first! morning Naomi - I spotted you at Michele's (who says good morning). That sounds like a great read _ i find behind the scenes writings fascinating and used to be glued to the show. We often get repeats here. My D in L was in love with Tyne Daly's screen husband. Great post as usual. It's the variety that is so special.

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 2:22:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How awesome Naomi! I just watched burn notice tonight. I was a SERIOUS "Cagney and Lacey" fan. I didn't know about the first 6 episodes. I was under the impression, at the time, that Meg Foster was in the PILOT. I also knew that Tyne Daly was good friends with Meg and was highly pi##ed when she was replaced by Gless. I was doubly impressed after knowing that to see the professionalism by these two fine actresses. I will have to get this book. Thanks!

(And you were an ordained minister?)

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 2:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Cagney and Lacey were in the UK a few weeks ago, together and on a talk show. I don't think there was a special promo for anything, but it was interesting to see that they both seemed to be sparky and cheeky in front of a slightly naughty television interviewer.

Off topic, I've been playing around with Google Streets and notice a lot of LA is on there. You may want to play if you've not already seen it and it would be great to see a reference to your area, if its on the map!

Here's a link. If it doesn't wor, then check out my enrty today (Friday).

Best

rashbre

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 4:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi dear Naomi, just stopping by to say hello end wish a wonderful day! See you later! Many hugs!

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 4:46:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I loved that show and I watched it all the time. I've not seen Sharon for a long time so I will have to look into catching up with what she is doing. I watch (when I can) Tyne in Judging Amy. That's another good one.

Are you saying that you performed the ceremony?

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 5:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Second visit today! Thanks for the linky. It'll be fun to wander!

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 6:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi! Thanks for sharing the author and glad to know you were one of the critiques. I thought this was a created tv series drama...now I shall get hold of the book...

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 6:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

IT sounds interesting, although I've only seen one or two episodes of Cagney and Lacey. . . as I'm sure the book mentions, Loretta Swit desperately tried to get out of her M*A*S*H contract to do the show after the pilot/movie.

Sorry you didn't get to sing the theme song, but you have to admit, that instrumental theme they wound up using in most seasons was really catchy.

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 6:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I used to watch it when I was younger... From memory, it was wuite good!

Here from MIchele's tonight, and I am off to bed!

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 6:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Like I told you Naomi... the stories about those you've officiated marriages for will make fascinating posts.
You don't have to name names, if you feel some of them would not approve, but I think this aspect of your life is so interesting. You didn't buy that Doctor of Divinity for nothing!! :-)

I am going to suggest this book to my daughter since she is interested in all things movie & TV.
It will give her a good understanding of things behind the scenes of the TV series business.

Most everything I've ever seen Tyne Daly in has proven her great skills as an actor. Sharon too.
Those gals have some REAL acting chops!!

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 9:43:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

This made a fascinating read. Your reflections made it very interesting. I do not know any thing about that TV sseries but I might check out the book, thanks to you.

Michele sent me here to learn something new.

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 10:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello Naomi! I LOVE Tyne Daly. L.O.V.E.

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 10:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I loved that series! I just have to read that book now after such a stellar recomendation!!

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 11:30:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

always loved that series! and really enjoyed your hummingbird pics

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 12:15:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Very interesting.

Michele sent me.

:)

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 12:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

you KNOW i will look into this book!.. Thanks for letting us know about it Naomi!

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 12:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I will absolutely read this book. I loved this television show. Wasn't there a rumor, long ago, that someone else was originally wanted for Sharon's part? I might have made that up in my head! lol

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 1:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I will put this in my Amazon list. I was a definite fan of the show and the fact these women were not Barbie dolls. I am one who is interested in how things work behind the scenes so this sounds right up my alley. You never really know how shows are made and what goes in to all the aspects. We just turn on our TV's and there they are. I remember Meg Foster in the beginning but there just didn't seem to be that partner/friend chemistry that Sharon and Tyne later had.
I wish there was a way we could hear some of the music you have written. Are there things out that contain any of your work?
So who performed the ceremony? YOU? didn't I read here somewhere you married Betty's Son and DIL? or did I dream that? lol!
Have a wonderful weekend!
XO

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 3:26:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, you know I'm an honest person. OK?

Then, what you here write, and all these fascinating stories from your proffesional life and friends - well -it's worth more than I learned at school,only some years ago - hehehe - From a British Authour:
http://www.angelfire.com/indie/anna_jones1/maugham.html

I love his short story when a a student were invited ti a luncon in Paris - and tha t lady of recognition only wanted something very simple.

Do you remember?

Hugs from
Summerhouse

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 3:52:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks for reminding me Naomi! I so much remember the TV series Cagney & Lacey in the good old days - a must see every week. Reading your post makes me want the book too!
Wishing you a wonderful weekend dear!

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 4:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Another one I definitely want to read, I still have to read Bettys book as well.
I think I could just sit in your book room forever and be quite happy, just order me some Thai food from down the hill every so often LOL
Wow everyone looks so young in that Emmy pic, Tom was at his hottes then ;)

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 6:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Sounds like a great book. I love reading about stuff like this. Thanks for the recommendation!

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 6:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Ohhhhhhhh MY! You just have your fingers in ALL the pies, don't you?! Tooooo fascinating dear Naomi! Too too!

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 6:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh yes! I do remember that TV series here. I used to wait for that hour to watch it. Unfortunately it just disappeared from our TV schedules and don't know what happened to it. There are really good TV series that just aren't here anymore.
Thanks for reminding me. I almost forgot all about it. I only remember ered when I saw those 2 lovely faces.
Thanks again and how are you?

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 6:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for bringing this book to my attention.
Cagney and Lacey was the first series that I watched -- my family did not watch much television.
I've certainly made up for it now!

Friday, August 10, 2007 at 8:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Fascinating! You know, I just thought of something... When someone asks me how many "degrees of separation" I have to just about any Hollywood star, I can say almost without fail - two. Because I know you and you know EVERYONE!

Michele sent me,

Mike

PS: I loved Cagney and Lacey!

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 12:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Cagney & Lacey...very interesting.

By the way, Michele sent me

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 1:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

btw: Sommerseth Maugham wrote a short story about a young and poor student, who in Paris invited a sophisticated elder lady out for lunch. And this lady, of course, only want to have some tiny dishes. Tiny but very expensive.... "It's nothing like a free luncheon".

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 1:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi and Hello, from another *old lady of the hills.* But mine would be the Adirondack Mts. And I'm not actually in them/Mountains. More like, near the foot hills of them. But... When we enter our 70's, we're allowed some "artist's license," I say. ,-)

I was commenting in the blog of a sweet gal who recently commented in one of my photo blogs. {Love meeting people, this way. Yeaaaa for commenting, is what I say.}

Anyway, I surfed through some of her comments and how could I not notice someone with the blog 'name' of 'Old old lady of the hills'? ,-)

So I came by to say Hi.

Mari-Nanci

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 7:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh yes, I remember Cagney and Lacey and thought it was a great show. The book sounds like a definite winner to read!!

So yet another wedding you performed!! How wonderful is that!!

Fascinating post as usual, dear Naomi!!

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 7:55:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Wow..this is an awesome post Noami although sadly this shows has never been shown here in Singapore but I am most fascinated to read that you are very much a part of it too :D

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 9:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi! What a great piece of history --- and to have been a part of it, however peripherally must make you feel very proud!

Michele sent me to says so!
N.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 9:56:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Glad michele sent me back to read it again. Always a pleasure..

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 10:15:00 AM PDT 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

Good lord girl! You have led the most amazing life! I'm glad you share the tales with us.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 10:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That sounds interesting. I will look for it!

Michele didn't send me this time - I came over all by myself!

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 10:51:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

A series I loved and watched faithfully and miss too, so
I'm going to invest in the book which will be thoroughly enjoyed. This post was a great look back into another spectrum of your life and friends in Hollywood.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 11:20:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I am always looking for a good new read. I loved watching the series so I am looking forward to the book.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 11:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Sounds like a fascinating book. Daly and Gless surely did create two memorable characters in their successful TV series.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 12:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm gonna have to get this book! I was a huge Cagney and Lacey fan back in the day - but Harve was my favourite character.... :-)

I must add this book to my wishlist.

What a lovely story - and should I mention to MB that you are a celebrant to the Stars?? [chuckle]

cq

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 1:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I've been reading suspense thrillers, but this would be a welcome change. I remember the ladies well from TV. Thanks for the recommendation; I will check out the book soon.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 4:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great story....and will keep my eyes peeled for it to hit the bookstores way up here in Canada.

Michele sent me to learn a little about you and your friend...and to say hi.

I'm glad she did.

take care.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 4:59:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Michele sent me back like a bad penny!

Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 8:47:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Michele sent me today.

What a great post - the book sounds fascinating, and I'll add it to my must-read list.

I remember watching C&L with my mother when I was a kid.

Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 12:43:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MsT
had this to say:

I saw some publicity on this book on a show - the View? - before I left on retreat in May or June. Sounds even more fascinating, the way you describe it. Yes, Sedona is truly a wonderful place and I take advantage of all she has to offer on a regular basis :)

Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 10:21:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I loved Cagney and Lacey and this was another one of your fascinating posts! I always thought Tyne Daly was one terrific lady and very tough. This sounds like a great read!

Sunday, August 12, 2007 at 12:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your world is a very interconnected one! Very interesting to read about this. I always liked both actresses.

~S

Monday, August 13, 2007 at 5:33:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a super post, Naomi. I was also a die-hard Cagny and Lacey fan. JUST loved that show! And I also liked Sharon and really enjoyed Tyne Dailey on Judging Amy.
BUT....I didn't know a book was out about the series, etc. SO thanks so much for sharing this. And yeah....LIKE I need more books to read right now, but I'm headed over to Amazon to get it! I'll add it to my pile. I know I'll really enjoy this.

Tuesday, August 14, 2007 at 1:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I read this post the other day, and just today I received my copy of "Writer's Digest" in the mail. I opened it up to start flipping through it. On the inside back cover is an ad/advertorial for I-universe, the self-publishing giant. And wouldn't you know it, there's your buddy Barney and his book and the story behind the book.
Good for him!

Thursday, August 16, 2007 at 6:21:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.