Tuesday, July 31, 2007
dancing & humming

So, here is a lovely Hummingbird and a bee! Yes, the bees come too....Most of these pictures were taken from down below...either on an even keel with the Flower Pods, (though pretty far away..) or from below it, looking up....very different light and very different angles, too, but still pretty far away.... I love that you can see how truly beautiful each of these blossoms on the Flower Pod are....! You see the complexity of these flowers...And they must have a tremendous amount of necter because all the birds, hummers and others, are just having such a great time and they keep coming back and back and back..... As you can see in this picture above, there are two Hummingbirds enjoying the 'Necter of the Gods'....There are times when there are more than two...like five or six, or more...but I cannot photograph all of them at the same time....(I did take some video today...and it is pretty exciting....but I don't know how to put it up on my blog....any help will be much appreciated....it is in Picassa, for those who are savvy and can advise me.....)
And as you can see above, there are three---count them---three dear hummers. That I caught these at all with my camera was kind of a miracle....It is fascinating how they look like they are falling...well, that one over on the top right surely looks like he is falling..... Oh, And I just love this little guy in the picture above...First of all his tail feathers are just so amazingly beautiful...And then, he looks like he is floating through the air in this picture. Well, we all know he isn't. He is moving incredibly fast, but I caught him in 'free fall'.... Here above there are another two Hummingbirds...(do click on all these pictures so that you can really see them better....) One is way over on the left, and the other one, 'at rest', over on the right....With the city of Hollywood in the background....that's pretty amazing in and of itself, isn't it? All that traffic and life going on down below and these dear delightful birds have only one thing on their minds. Well, maybe two. I wanted you to see how really small these little Hummmingbirds are....you see one there almost in the center, he looks like he is hanging down, but in reality he is supping up, getting to the delicious necter anyway he can....! As I believe I said in my very first extensive post about this flower stalk, it is at the very least, 60 feet high, and it may be more.... Here are two sweet hummers who look like they are having a conversation...! Well, that's what it looks like to me. (lol) This picture was taken looking down from my deck...I think it is pretty extrordinary...(be sure to look at this one bigger...) It's like the one little bird is saying to the other one...."Hey, how you doin'? Great buffet, isn't it?"..... And here above, another shot looking down from my deck...A lovely angle, I think....He looks like he is standing still...and his beak is just 'there' looking for that delicious sweet sweet necter.....! But upon a closer look, you can see those wings, moving moving, moving..... And as you can see in this picture above, we are back on "an even keel" with the Flower Pods. Look at how abundent these pods are. Just filled with beautiful life giving necter filled flowers....This is what life is about...the miracle of nature....How do these many many many hummingbirds know that these flowers are blooming right now? I don't know the answer to that, I just know that they do know...bless them, and that's another miracle.....This is where ones 'higher power' lives.....in nature..... Oh, you have got to see this one above bigger...Cause you might not see this sweet bird right there in the center, his beak up, in anticipation. He's ready and waiting for that life giving food, that food that is there in each and every flower, just for him. Yumm Yummm Yummmm! And More Yumm, Yummm, Yummmm.....! And, still....More Yummmmmmm!
Doesn't he look like he is about to emrace something with his dear wings up like that? There is something so touchingly vulnerable about these wonderful fascinating birds.....!





More To Come.....







Note: I may leave this post up a little longer than usual. These are time consuming to put together and I'm still taking lots and lots and lots of pictures. And as the life span of these Flower Pods changes from day to day, and I want to document it all.......









39 Comments:
had this to say:

Aother fabulous post starring your hummingbirds. They are really great stars, and I certainly do understand your fascination. Great Photos, as usual.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 1:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I never tire of these hummingbird photos -- the birds are just so fascinating to me, too.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 3:20:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Wonderful post, Naomi! thanks for putting it together so we can all enjoy such fascinating pictures! You always do such a great job :)

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 4:14:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Pat
had this to say:

I agree with all of the above. You really are a gifted photographer and the David Attenborough of California. I especially like the contrast between the nature reserve that is your garden and the humming of the city. Ooops that pun just crept in there.
At last we are having a rare sunny few days. Because of the climate change we now get more nasty bugs in the UK and one has bitten my finger. Fortunately it's the finger where I wear my mother's wedding ring so that fact and the medicinal cream should prevent my finger from dropping off:)

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 7:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This really does look like paradise in the sky. A beautiful sight!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 9:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos in this series. Hummingbirds are not easy to capture in a picture, I know this from experience, so much respect the patience and skill it took to get so many fantastic photos of these busy little birds

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 10:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fabulous! Fabulous! Fabulous!! I'm finally beginning to catch up on the blogs since my return from florida, and what do I find but all these absolutely wonderful pictures of Hummers!!! You must have several families of them living right near you! I've never seen so many!! I love them!!!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 11:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! You sure get a lot of birds around you. Very cool! I had my tea leafs read just over five years ago and she saw a lot of birds around me. Huh??!! Then Gord and I met and I think she must be referring to Gord's parents' place as they have tons of birds.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 12:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love these!! Especially the one picture that shows the building with the windows behind the bird. It says that there is still beauty right in front of us even in this concrete world we live in. Keep 'em comin'!!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 3:45:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, as I mentioned to you, our agave plant is also blooming (after decades!) which is exciting but I haven't noticed any hummingbirds. On the other hand, I don't have your eye, and our one little plant in the middle of urban L.A. is a desert compared to your abundant feast!

Do you know how long those plants last once they bloom? It seems to be killing the beautiful succulent from which it sprung like Jack's beanstalk.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 4:15:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Another lovely photos of hummingbirds. I am just amaze with your photography skills Naomi. You are really a pro!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 4:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'd never tire of them either, Naomi. You got some really good ones this time. The one on the bottom is fabulous!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 4:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love hummingbirds. I have to send Wendy to look at these. I'd never get tired of watching them! And those brilliant yellow flowers... great backdrop for the hummingbirds...they really pop against them!
~S :)

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 4:48:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

At each picture I'd think, "Oh, that's my favorite" and finally, I had to quit saying that, LOL.
I've never seen a still photo of a hummingbird before. I love one of the last ones where he is just sitting amidst all the petals, taking it all in.

You're so right about the contrasts of what's going on below your hill & what's going on on the hill.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 5:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

They are do darling!! I never tire of looking at the hummers!! The yellow flowers are so pretty too. No wonder they attract the hummingbirds!!

Great pictures Naomi!!

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 8:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful! I've never seen a hummingbird caught in flight in such a still shot to show it's tail feathers.
I love it1 :)

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 at 10:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

you always do a fantastic job of capturing these little guys & your flowers. :)

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 12:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so enjoying your posts on the humming birds and the agave. What a wonderful sight it must be! Your photo's are wonderful adn some of them I am sure are worthy of National Geographic. The ones with the city in the background make a striking contrast don't they?

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 5:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, those pictures are just delightful! Thanks for visiting and for the kind words:-)

N.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 6:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow! Just stunning, breathtaking photos, Naomi! You did a great job! Those hummingbirds are just fantastic!

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 3:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

These are great shots! You know, it just isn't summer without hummingbird photos from Naomi's place!

Michele sent me,

Mike

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 7:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

That last photo in particular is wonderful: the hummingbird is reaching up longingly for that last little drop of nectar: frozen in time by your camera....
N.

p.s. Michele sent me tonight....

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 7:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My head hurts when I think of what it took for you to capture these hummingbirds with such precision. Even on a good day, I'd find most of these shots near impossible to bring home. You've got the gift, Naomi.

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 9:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me back to see your fabulous hummers again, Naomi. They really are special!

Thursday, August 2, 2007 at 9:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm amazed that you get these fabulous pictures of those hummingbirds!! Sometimes when I'm on my deck and one dive bombs me, I think it's a giant dragon fly or something. I'm such a city slicker!

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 5:25:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

It is hard work putting all those photos together. I don't blame you for a longer break! They are so good. The shot with Hollywood in the background is one of my favorites you've ever done. You are gifted and the hummers are just fascinating!

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 5:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, thank you so much for the visiting to Images and nice compliments about the photos and also about Fernando! So sweet of you! Sure, we are a proud Mom and Dad! LOL! Many hugs to you! Have a great weekend!

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 6:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

they are beauties for sure! its so neat to see them, we have hummingbirds here, but we really dont see them much (unless we head over to my moms... her place just attracts everything)

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 10:12:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, they are expert nature shots. A fine look at hummingbirds.

Michele sent me here.

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 10:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi!! Michele sent me but, I should've been here sooner. These pictures are simply delightful. I love the ones that look as if the birds are falling. Hummingbirds have always facsinated me. My grandmother loves them and has a feeder. She loves to watch them and have all of us watch them, too.

Have a lovely weekend!

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 4:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What fantastic imspitational pictures. Clever you.

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 5:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

so very beautiful

here from Ms. michele's

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 5:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, hummingbirds also visit my garden. They are gorgeous!

Your posts are always so very beautiful, in both images and words. It must take you forever to create these glorious entries. Thank-you sweetheart for sharing them with us.

Hugs....

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 5:52:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh, Rich like gold or butter for my eyes! I love that this world is humming and buzzing above the chaos of the city.

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 6:43:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MsT
had this to say:

Naomi, just beautiful! I have been on the east coast coast since the beginning of July and have seen one or two hummingbirds, but not as many as back in AZ. Now, you are tempting me to do a post on the African greys I share my room with at the moment...

Friday, August 3, 2007 at 7:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful treat to visit your blog...the photos are so vibrant and beautiful, thank you so much...
Hummingbirds are such magical things...

Saturday, August 4, 2007 at 2:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Visited earlier via Michelle. Lovely images.

Saturday, August 4, 2007 at 2:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I have really enjoyed looking at all of your hummingbird pictures.

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 at 10:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love hummingbirds. A few of them visit my balcony lemon tree.

Saturday, August 18, 2007 at 11:25:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.