Saturday, October 21, 2006
birds and flowers

Is this cute or what? I was really lucky to catch this moment! Just as he was about to pick up some of that delicious scrumptious fruit.....I Love It!

And there was his/her mate that was there too....and here he/she is below.... And just so you all know, I'm going to be taking more and more pictures of the birds who come here to this particular Cereus as long as there is fruit to eat....Because these kinds of flowers-to-fruit are the things in my garden that the finches and some other little darling birds love to partake of, once the fruit is ripe....and these are the things that lift my heart and my spirit and give me the feeling of hope....the beauty of nature in all it's glory....!


And here below is more of the beauty of nature in the form of these two dear sweet baby doves...taken last spring as their parents were off gathering food for them....the nest sits in that space that exists between the wall and my carriage lamp by my front door. I created that little shelf for the birds so that the nest wouldn't keep falling through to the stone floor below....it's just a piece of cardboard from a box that I cut to fit that particular space, sort of....It's been there for a few years....but this is the first year in a while that the birds have had success with the safety of this place....I just love these two dear little babies....

Here is a kind of 'convention' of birdies.....on top of the waterfall down below...three finches and another little dear bird that I'm not sure who he is.... I love that the two in the foreground look like they are kissing 'Hello', as one was just about to settle down on the edge of the waterfall...such a delight to watch the activities and the comings and goings of these wonderful creatures....

Here is a beautiful flower that grows on a ground cover which I used to have in my garden and then I put some across the street...it is a very succulant ground cover and the flowers are stunning.... This flower above looks almost unreal. The center just glows as if I had done some very special theatrical lighting....well, I didn't. It's just the natural rays of the sun and the natural glow of this delicate flower, itself....the size of this flower is somewhere between a quarter and a half-dollor....but in reality, it is closer to the quarter....

Next we have the little teeny tiny delicate flowers on Lantana...You can just see a little bit of some of the Lantina leaves over to the right....I think these are such gorgeous examples of nature doing it's magical work. A true feast for the eyes and an inspiration to artists everywhere for all time.....

And below, here is this magnificent succulant that shows exactly where the inspiration for 'piping' comes from...And the little flowers are so tiny that each one is maybe only slightly bigger than the head of a pin! And yet, look at the incredible detail of each one....Simply amazing....And then below, is another example of where 'piping' comes from. This is a Jade plant. Very common here in Southern California. I happen to love the shape of the leaves on this particular Jade Plant. And as many of you no doubt recall, I am always writing about and posting pictures of what I call 'The Penis Flowers....Here, below, is a close-up of a few of these beautiful and unusually shaped flowers.... And below this gorgeous group if these magnificent flowers is another shot of some more.... They look like they are from another planet, don't they? But that is what is so fantastic....they are very much of this world and have been for more years than one can imagine....

And here is a dear little creature that I was lucky enough to capture with my camera.... Right now, there are an incredible amount of bees around my garden because all of the Euphorbia Ingens and the Euphorbia Amaks are flowering and there is a lot of delicious sweet yummyness for the bees to pig out on....And they do, I'm happy to say.

And last, for today that is, are these delicate little special flowers.... More little 'crowns'....these are very small flowers.....delicate and magnificent in their design and varied shades and colors....all you need to do is look at all these beautiful and varied flowers and birds to know there is something much much greater than us....





More To Come.......









33 Comments:
had this to say:

your photography is more and more impressive every day! i love the glow of the ground cover (it really does look photo shopped)! my favorite was the birds at the watering hole. i enlarged that picture to see the drops of water spread out around the birds. fabulous shot!
as always, a pleasure to visit you!

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 3:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

amazing photo's once again!..
ok so let's admit it.. you are going to publish a "photo novel" titled "In My Back Yard" right?

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 6:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm having a hard time picking a favorite: they're all stunning in their own way.

There's something about the jade plant, though. The edges of the leaves make it look so different than any other scenes of jade that I've ever seen previously.

I like how you always force us - gently, of course - to look at the world around us in a different way. Please keep 'em coming.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 10:16:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing pictures again and I like that you document the relationships bteween the birds. And you've alway got amazing plants and cactii, too.

Most enjoyable.

Here today via Michele's.

rashbre

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 10:17:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

These are lovely Naomi; I really love that last flower, so yummy a lemon color. Our doves have gone for the winter and the chickadees that were so common in early spring are back, probably on their way to their winter home. Our fig tree has been dropping the leaves and the figs are gone. I don't know where they went, possibly into Max's stomach, if they fell off the tree. I am about to check the foliage look and may head out to find some reds and yellows later today.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 10:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What can I say, except WOWWEEE to all of the wonderful photos!! You sure are talented Naomi. I love the two baby doves!! Doves are so sweet I think. Awesome flowers!!!
Thanks for sharing these lovely pictures of your garden. Breathtaking!!!!

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 11:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Keep on posting pix of your plants and flowers! They are cool and freaky! So different from here.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 11:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The delicate intricacy of the small flowers is simply amazing.
There are so many wonders in nature that we just pass by each day; they go unnoticed... But, NOT in YOUR garden!! Those little wonders get the attention they deserve!!!
The birdies are delightful!. Birds are really something, aren't they? They each have their own song and they flit about with such lightness.
Oh... to be able to fly like they do!! :)

Happy Weekend, dear Naomi.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 1:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful photos and nice to see summery pictures at a time when it's fall here and the flowers are nearly at an end. The bird picturs were great and it is a good reminder of the beauty of life. I love the sound of doves.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 3:31:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

AWESOME photos. They remind me of the movie(s) INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS, which they're remaking AGAIN.

I wish I had something for the birds to eat, but here in the city it's hard. Still, they hang out on my fire escape sometimes, which entertains my cat.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 8:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Coming here to see your plants and birds is a comfort these sleepless nights.

I love the ground cover flower - but the yellow ones at the end are stunning.....

Things are dying off here in England with winter on the way....

cq

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 9:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How cute, little birds on a date!

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 10:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I have missed your blog and photos while I was gone, Naomi. These are just lovely.

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 11:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your garden. We have lots of birds, they change with the season, but few flowers as the deer eat them! here via Michele's

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 3:18:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How lovely to see the beauty of nature through your eyes - thanks for sharing!
Thanks also for listing me – I’ve returned the favour of course!
Wish you a lovely week ahead:-)

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 8:32:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Are you sure you weren't a photographer in another lifetime? You certainly have a knack for catching that unique moment.
LOVE the one of the doves....and how neat that they're using the platform you placed there.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 8:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

" They look like they are from another planet, don't they? "

It actually looks like a scabby chicken.

Anyway, I love birds. I've been storing a lovely backyard bird story for a while. I think I might have to make with it soon...


Lovely photos, as usual.

p

Here via Michele today.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 9:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the little birdies!

Since I moved here, I can't get them to come in the birdhoue! All I can figure is that we live in a newer area and there are not any mature trees, so maybe it's too "Open" for them?

Don't put birhouses too close to a walkway; have you ever been dive bombed by a defensive mother birdie? They're scary!

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 10:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the little birdies!

Since I moved here, I can't get them to come in the birdhouse! All I can figure is that we live in a newer area and there are not any mature trees, so maybe it's too "Open" for them?

Don't put birdhouses too close to a walkway; have you ever been dive bombed by a defensive mother birdie? They're scary!

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 10:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You sure have some beautiful flowers!
The pictures are gorgeous and the 'penis flower' is too funny.
I think it would be hillarious to see a picture of it with a bee attached.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 12:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh they are awesome! Just beautiful! Your photo's come out so good! I downsize to get them on blogger and I loose the "wow" factor.

Love the birds! I found bear by the way. LOL!

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 2:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I love to watch the birds in our garden too. I had to giggle a bit at the "Penis Flower"
Michele sent me

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 3:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your love of nature is obvious. You would have enjoyed my jaunt today to Bartram Gardens in Philadelphia. Here via Mihele today. Nice to visit.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 4:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Awwwww Naomi! Of course, these are ALL beautiful-- as always -- but that picture of the birds "kissing" is just toooooo sweet! I LOVE it!

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 6:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Your photos are beautiful. I love the birds caught in the act. It must be fun bird watching and being close like you were.

The flowers are gorgeous.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 7:53:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I just love the soft colors in the first photo...and those flowers...the photos seem to coo and tweet and even smell good!

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 8:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi-- great photos as usual! I loved your Thursday post; I agree, it was great weather- perfect for pics. I was at the Griffith Observatory that day (I work for LA's department of Recreation and Parks). I was able to get some great shots of the view from the Observatory-- I'd love to send you one or 2 if you'd like. Email me or leave me a message on my blog if you'd like to see them! and Thanks for posting all these great pics!

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 8:50:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Love those yellow flowers at the end!

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 9:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As always beautiful pictures. That first one of the bird eating the fruit was a great shot.

I love that big purple flower! What is it called? I wonder if it would grow in Florida??

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 9:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me back to see you again!!

I have to say that I do actually have a jade plant that I have kept alive for about four years now, but mine doesn't have the interesting colors that yours does. Mine has very dark green leaves. I think that I like yours better though.

Sunday, October 22, 2006 at 10:32:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Wonderful pictures as always. Love the bird standing on one leg! and your template is for real! I truly thought the green plant was some talented person's design!

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 1:08:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love those little yellow flowers. The pink quarter size flowers looks as though it's bursting as you take the picture.
You must be the birds favorite friend in L.A. I don't remember if you've told me before, but do you have a chair or bench so that you can watch the birds in the birdbath?
I love your pictures. They make me so much more aware of nature.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 at 10:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I love the flowers and the birds. I wish that we had the selection of beauty that you have there here in Oregon but beauty is where you find it and we do have much to be grateful for in Oregon; Yes, we do have more than just rain, ha, ha!
I would like to go to California or Florida(just to get some pictures of the beautiful birds and flowers there). In fact Donnie is retiring next year (in March) and we do want to travel a little after he has had a rest. My Uncle Joe lives in Florida and has invited us to visit when we can and I am looking forward to it. Florida is suppose to have some of the most beautiful birds in the United states!
I can't wait to see even more lovely pictures from you so I hope that you will post many more. You must have dusted that camera off that you said you had been neglecting to use, or did you get a new one?

Sorry, I have been so lacking this Summer, but that is always my busy time. Even now I have plants tagged in the garden that need to be moved to a new location in the garden when they go dormant. And I am suppose to painting the living room, bedroom and kitchen as we speak. My least favorite thing to do but I guess everything can not be for our pleasure but what a wonderful world that would be, ha, ha! Keep clicking, I love it! Faira

Wednesday, October 25, 2006 at 8:26:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.