Tuesday, October 17, 2006
and further close-ups

Here are a few more pictures of natures amazing works...Above...the leaves of 'The Red Tree' (Euphorbia Continafolia) with just the barest look at those little tiny pale yellow flowers...this my favorite tree in my garden....the color of the leaves is just so extrorinary and it changes over time...going into purple hues as well as a darker red....as you see here below in this "close-up" of some leaves of this magnifent tree.... This is a tree that loses it's leaves in the winter and you really know that spring is coming when you begin to see these little dark red buds just beginning....the picture above you can see a little new leaf growing---almost in the center of the picture....this is a breathtaking tree, I tell you.... And then, seeing more of this very beautiful tree....(I have quiet a few of these in my garden....) Here is another picture of these stunning leaves as they gently blows in the wind.... In the picture above you see just a tiny little bit of a very large green Agave....a very beautiful shaped agave, I might add...

This picture below, is a close-up of one of the fronds on a 'Date Palm' that has been in my garden for abot 18 years...This Palm is still not fully grown, at all, but it is bigger right now than we thought it would be, so that is wonderful! I am constantly in awe of 'natures' designs....the amazing shapes and textures that there are in nature...simply stunning, beyond words.

And if you remember from my last 'close-up' post that large curved Agave flower...here is that same flower with a bit more of it showing... You see the three stages of "openess" in this picture...the bottom right portion the little flowers have not opened yet...the middle section is completely open and looks so full and beautiful to me, though you can just see towards the left that the flowers are waning and then, in that last portion over on the left you see the flowers have waned mostly and are dead or in the process of dying....These flowers are on this very very long trajectory that grows out of the center of the flower and bends in this lovely curve as it does it's 'thing'. Another view of another of these long---15 feet or so---flowers...you can see that the end of this one, the flowers are not even quite visible yet...the other amazing thing about nature's designs are 'the shapes' of things...I've said it before and it is not a new thought by any means, but so much in the designs of our clothing and home furnishings, etc....have been directly influenced by the shapes and colors of nature....

And here below is another of natures wonders...and this one has a beautiful beautiful vest.... He was up on a tiny branch of one one of my Red Trees, just surveying the landscape and taking a peek at the city....there is a 'majesty' in the quiet sitting-on-a-branch of a bird, isn't there?

I'm so very very lucky because I have this fantastic sculpture down in the garden which was created by the wonderfully talented sculptor, Guiseppe DePiero....a lovely man originally from the U.K. that has lived here in the Los Angeles area with his American wife, for about 20 years.... You really can't tell from this picture how the water rolls gently down from the top. And then it is recycled by a pump. Plus a small amount of fresh water is added as needed....this picture below may give you a tiny idea of the sense of the water..... But here below, you will see some birds sitting on top and drinking and bathing...there are a couple of pictures taken standing on my deck above....this picture below shows that it was a particularly busy time at the fountain.... You see that one bird trying to fly onto the top so he too can partake of his bath....? I love the activity here....And usually there is quite a bit of 'territorial imperetive', so you don't see very many birds sharing the top of the waterfall.... And in this next picture below you can actually see the water flying as these birdies continue their ablutions...! And one more Waterfall/Fountain picture of a single bird taken from my deck, looking down....A Morning Dove drinking his fill of water, as needed....you really get a sense of what a wonderful addition this was to the garden....It has been here for 12 or 13 years and the birds really really seem to love it, I'm happy to say.... And last, (at least for this post), but not least...here are a "couple"...those wonderful birds who mate for life so I am told.....Mr. & Mrs. Dove...





More To Come You Can Be Sure.....









23 Comments:
had this to say:

I love your photos. I think that top plant is the one our nursery told me was called "purple smoke bush". We had to remove one that was overgrown by other plants, so I took a bit down to the garden centre to have it identified so I could replace it, when I make some room. The palm photo is wonderfully textural. Here from Michele's

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 2:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Well you are on a photo frenzy! lol.. fabulous photo's Naomi ! I especially love the birds taking a bath and splashing the water !
It's easy to tell you enjoy taking the pictures and then telling about them. (always enjoyable !)

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 5:02:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I love the red tree! and the waterfall fountain, and the birds, your pics...that's why I keep coming back!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 5:10:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You have the most unique and incredible garden, Naomi! I think Home and Garden needs to pay a visit to your place.
Gorgeous Red Tree and that water sculpture is most unusual....you have a virtual wonderland right in your own back yard and it's obvious you really enjoy it.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 5:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your beautiful garden, Naomi! Each day you give to us a glimpse of these amazing flowers, plants, birds, sculpture and views! Really that is a fantastic sculpture and this sculptor is truly a talented artist! And you are a talented photographer, too! Those bird's photos are great!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 6:28:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The close-ups give me viseral reactions. I have a great shot taken recently of two bright red bushes with half their leaves on the ground. It's so red! I haven't figured out how to work it into a post yet.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 6:35:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love how the sculpture is used as a bird bath!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 6:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those birds sure love that fountain! I could sit and watch them forever. I have a hummingbird feeder outside of my window and my boys just get the biggest kick out of watching them. Your pictures are always great!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 7:20:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Just beautiful! The dark reds are so appropriate for Autumn. They look like a number of the trees turning red here. Love the birdies bathing. Great shots!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 9:57:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

One of the baby mourning doves that survived stayed around under our front bushes for quite a while. We left food out and she had the pick of the fig tree but for a while I wondered if she had been pushed out by Momma Dove just a little too early. It took a month but she finally took wing for other places and didn't return.

We still have robins, actually they stay here all year along with mockingbirds and the bluejays.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 10:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

ooh lush......... I'm so glad I encouraged you to post your new found skill in close-ups.

Fantastic pictures, Nay - love that red plant and those birdys bathing........oh - just lush.......

cq

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 12:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Where to begin?
I loved the red leaves (1st pic) and the birds bathing, and the last doves photo, those are my faves. Great photos as usualy, Naomi! :) I'd never see half these plants if you didn't share them with us.
~S

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 1:27:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Love the fountain! It's so unique and it just seems to fit right in your garden perfectly!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 2:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Again, such lovely lovely pictures Naomi! I love the fountain. How nice and so perfect for your garden!! I know the birds love that oasis in your beautiful garden!!

Thanks for sharing these photos. Simply fantastic!!

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 3:19:00 PM PDT 

Blogger TLP
had this to say:

My god these are beautiful! Just so wonderful.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 4:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Cool plants! I love that you post your pix of plants. They are so different from what we have in Toronto (I know! I know! I said that a couple days ago too!).

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 4:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What lovely red trees! I love them. :)
you have such a gorgeous garden.

Kendra

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 8:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Heyyyyyyyyy! I have that red tree! Or a very close cousin of it -- we have 3 planted as bushes beneath my kitchen bay window -- and mine has little tiny PINK flowers instead of yellow. But the leaves are the same - red then turning deep purple as the season goes! I LOVE them!

I think that water feature is fabulous in your dessert garden! JUST the thing! And perfect for the wildlife! I bet from time to time even some of those lizzards find their way to it! (not often of coure...)

You must have a King's fortune tied up in this garden! All worth it for the pleasure it's brought you -- but it is only just occurred to me HOW MUCH you have put into it!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 7:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Gosh! Really I'm almost speechless. Can't believe how leaves can be so beautiful. You have just showed the blogging world how great an Artist the Almighty is. My favorite is where that architectural structure is especially where the birds are bathing. They are just so beautiful.
Thanks for coming. I really do appreciate it.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 9:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

*sighs in bliss*

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 9:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the sculpture that serves as a drinking fountain, Naomi. I use an old kids sandbox for watering the birds around my place and it gets nasty after a while. I should get something like that sculpture. It'd be a lot prettier and more functional to boot. Great pictures of the birds frolicking! (is that a word?)

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 10:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I really should get out of Tennessee and see the rest of the country!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 3:22:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

YOu take the most beautiful pictures. I want to comment on each one & by the time I comment, I can't remember them! The birds in the bath, that is absolutely precious. And I like the (agave?) curved plant too. The date palm has such beautiful palms...absolutely beautiful!
The red plant, omgosh, I thought it was changing because of the season. (we do have a bit of fall colors)

Can I have like 6 favorites? LOL
I like the one from a distance, its more of a garden shot. That came out very, very nice.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 4:03:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.