Saturday, October 07, 2006
hal lynch

On Thursday morning, Hal Lynch, went to the local newspaper office in Opp, Alabama, where he lives, and dropped off his column for next week....(He writes this wonderful column for that newspaper each week called 'Tis Said', and he has been writing it for years and years....). He dropped off his column and the key to his house to the woman who worked there and who was his good friend and the executor of his estate....He then left the newspaper office and went across the street to pick up a suit at the cleaners....then, he went home, and he called "911" and told them that a man was shot and he gave the police the address....and then he put the phone down and went outside into his yard and shot and killed himself.

Those are the bare facts. Why am I writing about him in a post on my blog? Because Hal Lynch was my fellow 'Folk Singer' in the beautiful show to which I wrote all the 'Original Music' and performed in, along with him..."Spoon River Antholgy". (We opened on Broadway at The Booth Theatre just a few days over 43 years ago...((How could that be?? How could 43 years have gone by....it seems like a blink of an eye....)) The anniversary of our opening was on September 29th, just a few days ago....)

This picture above was a publicity photo taken by CBS for the 'Special' of "Spoon River" taped in 1967 and 'aired' in 1969. The last time I saw Hal was when we mounted the 40th Anniversary Revival of "Spoon River" at Theatre West in 2002 in our 160 seat house. Betty Garrett. directed the production and I was the Musical Director and 'understudy' for the "girl folk singer" (I went on six times...oy). Hal came to California for the Opening Night of this special revival. He drove all that way from Opp, to be a part of that momentous occassion. He looked wonderful! And even though I knew he had some terrible health problems at the time, one would have never have known it from the way he looked. This was simply amazing, really. He was then 74 years old.

"Spoon River" was very very important to each one of us connected to it. It was a show that started at Theatre West, in our then little 42-50 seat theatre workshop here in Los Angeles...."Spoon River" then moved to The Theatre Group at UCLA..(Hal was not in the show there at UCLA...) And then it was picked up for "Broadway"...the ultimate, and, something that rarely, if ever, happens....We played for 14 weeks when we were only supposed to play for 'a limited engagement of four weeks! We could have played through the spring of 1964 at the very least...but the producers had 'bigger' fish to fry....fish which flopped, let me tell you!

When we knew we were going to Broadway...the 'folk singer' who had been doing the show at UCLA, a lovely actor/singer named Stephen Pearlman, did not want to go to Broadway...(don't ask...)....So, Charles Aidman (the director/originator of "Spoon River") and I, auditioned many many men....and Hal Lynch was the perfect person to take over this part. He looked 'country', you know? And he not only played the guitar and banjo but he had actually made both instruments himself! Yes, he knew how to do that, and fabulously, too.

Before we left for New York, we rehearsed for a number of weeks and we actually played one performance at "Synanon", a very wonderful, (at that time) Drug Rehabilitation place on the beach in Santa Monica. A fantastic experience in and of itself...the response being overwhelming...Hal was thrilled, as we all were...Could "Broadway be this good? (YES!, It could). During those first few weeks on Broadway, while we were still at The Booth Theatre and before we moved to The Belasco, Hal and Joyce Van Patten, (one of the two fabulous actresses in the show, and another of my very very dear friends to this day---Betty Garret being the other one)--- got 'together'. They fell madly in love and eventually, they married....

When we all returned to Los Angeles, Hal became a member of Theatre West...a very productive member of Theatre West I might add...working in every capacity one could work in....and eventually wrote a truly beautiful touching play called "Three Miles To Poly" which was really his story....I remember when I saw it, I was so deeply touched by it that when I went backstage after the show and I hugged him I burst into tears...and began to sob....having seen this play I now understood where his love of music came from, and how "primally important" it was to him...So much about him fell into place for me after seeing that really wonderful play.

Eventually, Joyce and Hal divorced. And a number of years later, Hal moved back to Opp, Alabama, where he had come from originally, having been born and brought up there. Hal was a truly gifted writer. Truly! So it was not a surprise to know that he began to write for the local paper there in Opp, and that he was also very very involved in the Historical Society there. They honored him in 1997...a well deserved honor, indeed.

Hal was not an easy man. He had a lot of anger about many many things...some justified...some, imagined. And he was a minor racist of sorts, too, which was terrible to me and at times I found it rather difficult to be around him. But there were so very many other things about him that were wonderful, I tried to overlook this what was to me a flaw in his personality...But I soon began to realize that so much of his anger and hatred was really his anger and hatred of himself....a sad sad situation for him and for those who cared about him, too.

His need for control over his life was always something I was aware of and truly understood. What happened on Thursday, was awful and horrible, but it was not surprising to me. I understand this need to be in charge of your destiny. Especially, at this stage of my life and given my own health issues. I understand why he needed to control not only his life as best he could....but his death, too

Hal's "health issues" had reached...what is that expression? Critical Mass....or, the point of no return. One cannot be in constant physical pain from anything, in his case severe arthritis, and also know that ones heart is giving out and may give out at any moment...and if 'one' needs to control their life....'one' must take control.... and that is what he did on Thursday.

Evidentally he left notes and letters for people...I have no idea if I am one of those people, but I dearly dearly hope that Joyce's daughter Talia, is one of those people...Hal was such an important part of her life....

Knowing what he was going to do...knowing that for him, this was the only thing he could do so that he could 'leave this mortal coil' on his own terms...I really think it is deeply meaningful and wonderful, that he left letters and notes to many people that were very important to him. It was also truly thoughtful that he went out if his house to his yard to pull that trigger. How hard was that to do? The pulling if the trigger, I mean. I think for him, at this point in time, however hard it may have been, it is what he had to do and wanted to do. The idea of becoming an invalid who would need round the clock care was not something this man would have ever ever wanted. Well, he won't have to go through that now.

May you 'Rest In Peace', dear Hal...you did it your way...and it was the only way that made sense to you.

So, now, here in October of 2006, the only people still alive from that incredibly fantastic "Spoon River" production, which changed all of our lives in the most wonderful and special way, are the four women who were involved. Betty, Joyce, Lee, and me. How much longer will we all still be here? Only God knows....




More To Come......







43 Comments:
had this to say:

Although i had heard Hal Lynch's name, i did not know him, or anything about him. nor had i heard of his death. You know such wonderfully interesting people. As an oregonian, i am all for our states assisted suicide law. It may sound calus, but i believe in a persons right to chose when and how to end thier lives. (i guess its that libertarian, not to be mistaken for liberal, desire to have government but out of things that shouldnt be governed... like my life span and whether or not i put on a helmet on a bike and what color underwear i wear on what day of the week) As hard as losing a friend is, i agree with your (hearly) final statement... he did it his way! Nice to be able to remeber him in such a positive light. Thanks for sharing.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 2:21:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Dear Naomi, Hal Lynch was fortunate to have such an understanding friend as you. His art lives on not only in archived works, and the memory of his fellow actors, but thru your well-written tribute, in the minds of thousands of people around the world. Let's all raise our glasses in a toast to Hal Lynch on his opening at the Pearly Gates Playhouse!

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 2:33:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Dear Naomi, Hal Lynch was fortunate to have such an understanding friend as you. His art lives on not only in archived works, and the memory of his fellow actors, but thru your well-written tribute, in the minds of thousands of people around the world. Let's all raise our glasses in a toast to Hal Lynch on his opening at the Pearly Gates Playhouse!

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 2:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me, Naomi.

This is a very interesting and thought provoking post. I certainly follow your analysis, Naomi. Your writing is so smooth. You start off with a great hook, give background and human interest as well as personal insight, then you close with a kick using analysis of your former coworker and friend.

You seem slightly apologetic about Lynch's suicide though I might be wrong there. It seemed to me that your analysis was set up so as to blunt the impact of his taking his own life. From what you wrote, it seems like a very logical thing for Lynch to do. I've never understood why people admire others that fight diseases like cancer right to the end through horrendous pain. Personally I think you need to know when to let go--and calling 911 before shooting was very considerate. Odd also, but that's the way it can be with control issues.

I'm very sorry you lost another person you knew well, Naomi. You obviously disagreed with a number of his choices in life yet admired his abilities. This was a well balanced tribute to his memory. Thank you for writing it.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 2:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I was so sorry to hear about Hal.

I have expressed myself better by email.

Just be known, I am praying for you and the Ladies to continue to be strong.

Life is brief, but love is eternal.

cq

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 3:40:00 AM PDT 

Blogger -E
had this to say:

It's always hard to lose someone who has played a role in your life. I cant decide if their death is made easier or even harder when it is due to suicide. It always breaks my heart to hear it gets to that point for anyone, for any reason though. To be in that much pain must be a miserable life.

Michele sent me.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 7:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

hello, sorry for the loss of your friend.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 8:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That was a great tribute to a man's life. I don't consider someone who makes that choice to be committing suicide. To me it's just, as you said, taking control of when the end comes as the end is coming. Very much like those who jumped from the WTC rather than burned to death. It's timing and method, not a question of if. It's why Oregon passed twice and fought to keep the right to die with dignity law. Some don't want the individual to make that decision but rather the corporations or the government. It would take a lot to pull a trigger as he did but as you said, he probably felt he had no choice. I hope he found good on the other side.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 8:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi.. I am deeply sorry for the loss of your friend.
This is a beautiful post about him, his decision, and about the life he had...

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 8:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I do identify with your friend. Although a terrible thing to do it can be rationalised when put in this context. It sounds like he thought everything out and like you said he was in control.

A good tribute to Hal

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 9:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I only knew his name through previous posts of yours. I am so sorry you have lost a friend, especially in this way. Your post will help to keep his memory alive.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 10:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Dear Naomi, I am so sorry about this sad news about Hal Lynch. I just put the CD “Spoon River Anthology” on my PC, this lovely gift you gave to me, and I write this comment hearing this beautiful and great music with tears on my eyes! What beautiful songs, such “He’s Gone Away”, “The Water is Wide”, “Spoon River” and so on music!
Beautiful and moving post and a great tribute to your friend Hal Lynch.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 11:04:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a thoughtful and compassionate tribute! I'm so sorry for your loss...

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 11:45:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I am so sorry for the loss of such a good friend; but what a wonderful tribute to his life. You made beautiful music togather and, thankfully, that will be with those of your whole group and the rest of the world for all time to come.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 11:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh sweetie. i am sorry for your loss.. and all those than knew him and cared about him.

lovely though that he got to face it on his own terms. and clear up business before hand. the way he needed to to for himself.

sigh..

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 12:11:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'd read his name here mentioned many times by you. Sending you my deepest condolences.
I have to agree...If he lived life on his terms, it was only natural that he'd end it the same way. May he now be at peace.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 12:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful tribute to an amazing man!

I certainly hope your around for a long, long time. I so enjoy your writing, and gardens.

So sorry you lost a friend. It's hard. He's in a better place, with no pain.

{{{hugs}}}

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 1:30:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I saw your comment over at Keda's and wanted to come by and see what had happened. Wow. Your story just pulled me right in. People are so complicated, aren't they.

And you never cease to amaze me, Naomi...it's taken me a long while for it to really sink in how many creative things you've done in your life.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 3:05:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Ohhhhhhhh boy this made me cry. You will have an email... maybe tomorrow.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 5:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I was hoping you'd write about this. I hope writing about it helped to lift some of the heaviness as much as possible.
Thank you for sharing the story too. We all should be so lucky to have someone write such a nice tribute.
~S

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 5:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, how sad to lose your friend Naomi. I'm sure he felt like he was doing the right thing. I'm really glad he left notes for his family.

You have wonderful memories of him, and thank you for sharing those.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 5:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The first commenter (Dak-Ind) said it for me.

Naomi, you have a gift with words.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 7:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so sorry to hear about Hal Lynch...and I am sorry for your pain.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 8:22:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My prayers are with his family and friends especially you who seems to have been very close to him.

God Bless!

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 10:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What I find so amazing is that which is left behind of him, the memories you (and others) keep. His music, I'm sure.

It's sad, but understandable, what he did. As you said, and I paraphrase, there's only so much pain a person can take before the breaking point is reached.

Saturday, October 7, 2006 at 11:59:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

what a beautiful tribute, naomi. am sure he appreciates the kind words you wrote about him. only a true friend would be accepting of both the good traits and the flaws. in the end, he chose to go on his own terms and that in itself, took great courage.

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 6:21:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

It is so tragic to hear about his death and hopefully he will lay to rest . But I agree that he is lucky to have you as a friend and I know that he thinks the same thing wherever he is now

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 6:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

you write so well ... and with honesty about the "human condition" ...

there are SO MANY people out there with talent, that go unsung ...

celebrity may not be the answer to the peace that comes from a life well lived and a talent recognized ...

story telling however, lets the reader share in the experience of that life and draw whatever parallels may exist - to their own lives ...

the remembering is definitely a good thing ...

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 9:06:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi,
I just read what your wrote about Hal. He would have liked it. I went to his graveside service on Friday and put a rose on his casket. I thought about all of his friends in California and I remembered the times he talked about all of you. He was always so excited when he was coming your way for a visit.
I was lucky to know him during his years in Opp. We were fellow writers and became friends. As you said when we talked on Thursday, Hal was a complex person, but he had a good heart. And, yes you are right I think much of his anger was directed at himself. Over the years we talked a lot about life and I know he had a hard time dealing with growing older.
It is funny that you described him as a minor racist because living here, he demonstrated anything but prejudice. He became friends with a great many black people and he did a lot of quiet acts of kindness for some of them who were in need. I think he grew in that way as he aged. In fact, he did a lot of things for folks that most people never knew about because he didn't want any pats on the back for it.
I have gone over and over my memories of him in the last three days and I know that he is at last at peace and with the ones he missed so much, his father,and his two deceased children.
All I could think of as I heard Danny Boy being sung at his service was Hal singing that song. I know beyond a doubt that Thursday morning as Hal stepped through the curtain of his life, he was bathed in a warm spotlight of love as he walked onto the stage in the next life. Surely, there was a standing ovation from the angels as they welcomed him.

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 12:12:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I am very sorry about your loss... But it was his own decision... self-centered? I don't know, at least he had a choice. He could think it over.

We don't know how long we will be around but I guess we have minimum requirements...sometimes they are not met and it takes a lot of courage and self determination to do something like your friend.

I hope to be reading your blog for years and years to come. Hugs to you...

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 1:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a sad situation. It was a lovely tribute.

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 5:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I really am very sorry to hear about your dear friend. I know taking one's life is not good but then aren't we entitled to our own decision? If someone else can take someone's life just like that, I don't see anything wrong when someone wants to end his/her own life for a reasonable cause. He was a very lucky man to have friends like you. It was I'm sure painful for those close to him to be hearing music during his wake especially music he sang.

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 5:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

a beautifully written tribute....
for a dear friend...bless you

donna

Sunday, October 8, 2006 at 6:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi. I'm so sorry to read about this. It's not always easy when people are older and dealing with so many hurdles. I have watched elderly people I have known struggle to keep their pride intact, and it can be heartbreaking. A beautiful tribute.

PS: thanks for your comments, I shall be in touch shortly.

Monday, October 9, 2006 at 1:48:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

What a sad ending, yet I understand the need to take control. What a wonderful review of the man, warts and all, and kudos to you for looking beyond the racism to the heart of the matter. How wonderful it would be if we could all look beyond the ugly hatred to the root cause. Thank you for sharing.

Monday, October 9, 2006 at 1:14:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so sorry for the loss of your friend Naomi, I had no idea this had happened seeing as I am just now catching up on reading.
It sounds like he lived and died on his own terms.
hugs to all of you ladies who lost a dear friend and colleague.

Monday, October 9, 2006 at 4:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so sorry for your loss Naomi. You wrote a beautiful tribute to your friend.

Tuesday, October 10, 2006 at 10:17:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I'm not sure who i'm writting this to & I'm unfamiliar with connect over the internet. I am Hal's daughter. Please connect me.
darcym@landmarkltd.com

Monday, October 23, 2006 at 11:42:00 AM PDT 

Blogger PSS
had this to say:

Naomi,
Last evening I saw a 1967 episode of Gunsmoke entitled "Mistaken Identity." Hal starred in the episode along with another great actor Albert Salmi. Isn't it ironic that both Hal and Albert each took their own lives, Hal, a few months ago, and Albert in 1990.
Hal was one of my favorites, because each time I saw him act, it was pure quality.
Windell

Monday, June 25, 2007 at 5:37:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi! Naomi, just read your story on Hal Lynch. He was a long time member of Songmakers, a group I have have been privileged to be a member of for the past 21 years. I never knew Hal directly, but knew many close friends of his, who were involved in music. Recently, all of his musical instruments came back to California as a provision of his will. I found out as much as I could about him, and I really wish I had known him. In a way I do know him, as I bought some of his instruments. I also play and sing, and make in struments as Hal did. Songmakers, which he joined in 1960, and was a member of until his death, still is an active thriving group of 500 or so musicians, singers and songwriters. I, and we, would love to have contact with you, and hear more about Hal, about you, about Spoon River, and share some music with you. Please email or phone me, and see www.songmakers.org

Sincerely,

Bob Hall 818-784-1918 Longrobb@cs.com

Thursday, July 26, 2007 at 12:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I live in Opp, Alabama but never had the pleasure of meeting Hal Lynch. I did however, every week for the last two years of his life, read Hal's column. I moved to the south from Phoenix, Arizona. It is a cultural shock and I can certainly understand where Hal got his prejudice's from.

Each Thursday I specifically would go to the local 24 hour restaurant, the only one in town I might add, to get the newspaper to read Hal's column. His writing was priceless and taught me to better understand this little southern town and it's strange ways of as though it was still50 years ago.

My husband is a paramedic and his company got the call from Hal via 911. I was angry with Hal at first as I was just getting to know him and through him, his life, in a way that only a special person can write. His last column was published here in Opp and it was a round robin type of article. It was the beginning and the end but you had to know how to read his articles to understand what that last article was truly saying to you.

I wish I had the chance to meet him, today my husband bought home a brochure from Ludlum Auction Group.(www.LudlumAction.com). On December 7 & 8th Hal Lynch's life will be auctioned off and will be gone for good from Opp, Alabama. If I was sad before I am really saddened now that the house that I have driven by so many times since his death will no longer be his. I truly wish I had the money to buy his five bedroom home as we are here to stay for life in this funny little southern home and what a legacy I would make to the man that brightened my every Thursday as I struggled to understand this backwards little town.

I am originally from New Zealand and spent most of my life in the West, LA, Oregon, Phoenix, AZ and when I decided to look for a retirement home I moved south to Northern Florida. There I met my husband who had moved from New Mexico to Houston, Texas and with a Post Office transfer ended up in Opp. Hurricane Ivan changed my living arrangements and I moved into his house in Opp. Shortly thereafter we married and have remained here since. If you have lived a different life style this one can be lonely in the fact that the most educated are uneducated in world and life events.

I imagine that Hal struggled with life outside of Opp as I have struggled with life in Opp and many times have contemplated moving to a larger area for my own sanity. I believe now that I have come to an understanding of how to live here but relate outside of here. I have found a balance that works for me but Hal must have had a sense of aloneness in this area after spending so many productive and exciting years in the West. Simple things here like a Starbucks coffee is no where to be found and I still find myself relishing some decent food that is not laden in grease and good ole southern fried chicken.

Add all of that to health issues and I feel for Hal and believe what he did to end his life was his choice, his life and if he needed to go then he had the right too.

I still miss his articles in the paper and actually seldom bother getting one anymore as it is just not the same without Hal's very informative,history driven article. Hal taught me southern slang and southern ways that I could never have learned from another.

Sandi K. Savedra-Dixon
Opp, Alabama

Monday, November 12, 2007 at 7:41:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Hal Lynch's estate will be auctioned Next Fri & Sat (12/6 & 12/7); there will be a preview this Sat & Sun (12/1 & 12/2) from 2-4 p.m. each day. This will occur in Opp, AL.

Details can be found at the following web site: www.ludlumauction.com.


OldOldLady of the Hills,
Jan, Rick and I would love to talk with you. Please get in touch with Jan at janarthur@ala.net.

Jim (wils356@yahoo.com)

Thursday, November 29, 2007 at 9:11:00 AM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Stumbled across your post. Very interesting. Of course, I knew a very different man. Your post didn't mention, Michael's death, his mothers death, social security checks, his attempt to kill his second wife, or any of the other things that showed who Hal really was. I mean as a person.

Shooting at blacks in his back yard, a little racist? Ya think?

I have hundreds of Hal stories, none of them very nice, but may make nice additions to Spoon River.

I am truly sorry for the loss you may have felt - feel. But trust me, Hal didn't go outside out of consideration for a person, he didn't have those type emotions. They were all fake; he was a good actor. Hal killed himself to avoid the enevitable embarrassment about to befall him. He would have gone outside because he wouldnt want to mess up his house he was so obsessed over.

I don't think much of Hal anymore, hell I never thought much of Hal, but i dont think of him much either. I really liked the post as a fictional piece but if you knew Hal, then you know the person I speak of. Why not post truthfully about him? Tallated actor, skilled at many things, but a dark emotionless psychopath who commited the most horrible crimes against people.

Tuesday, March 13, 2012 at 8:00:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.