Friday, September 15, 2006
OY!

In regard to my last post about the 'fruit of george', the response was...shall we say....very interesting. In fact, I have never had such a reaction before to anything I have ever posted in the almost one year that I have been blogging!

Either I am from a different planet---(and this is very possible, cause the jury is still out on that one...lol) or some of you are far more conservitive than I realized. Something about the fruit from George really brought up a lot of icky-poo-Ewwwww-I-Could-Throw-Up feelings for quite a few people....

Well, I apologize for kind of grossing you out and I want to say...it's just "nature" guys! It is the natural order of nature...And I am thrilled by it...but then you already know that!

So, in the intertest of fair-play, I am going to post a few photographs that I hope you will find beautiful, starting with that lovely flower at the top.... These lovely little flowers above are on an unusual succulant that has leaves that are wonderful to touch, (okay...so I am a sensualist, too....!) These flowers are really really tiny and so very perfect in shape and in color, too...

This next picture, below, is one of my favorite Agave's....it is one of the most elegant of Agave's and the color is gorgeous...Here is a close-up of the design that is made by the leaves growing in a very tight knit way so that when it opens up, we see these indentation marks on each pad that came from the outer tack-looking things pressing into the flesh of the pad as it was growing.....And this next picture is a beautiful almost-translucent flower that speaks for itself, I think.... Perfection Personified!

I love the angle of this next picture...more yellow and so lush....it looks like I "lit" these flowers in some very special way...I didn't....it is just nature again, including the sun, doing it's thing...... Again, there is this translucent quality about these flowers...It makes them look so incredibly magical to me....I love this plant....It has grown so over the years and here below you can see a new baby on the side.... And below is another picture of this wonderful plant where you can see the whole plant as it looked just a day or two ago..... And below, the same plant about 10 years ago.... It has grown so much, we've had to move the Agave that was over to the left side and behind it--in this picture--to another place entirely so that this gorgeous plant could just grow to it's hearts content.....


And last but by no means least....one of my very favorite Bouganvilla's...the combination of colors just pleases me no end.... As a painter, I have always been fascinated by the way one color can become another color with teeny tiny gradations of changes in the paint going slowly from one shade to another....Here above, is nature in all it's glory doing this magic in the very act of just 'being'.....




More To Come......










26 Comments:
had this to say:

As ever, your photos anmd garden are amazing! I really love the photo where you can see the indentations on the leaves and the one of the translucent little yellow flowers :-)

Thanks for visiting my blog adn telling me a bit more about George (your pics of his fruit didn't gross me out at all - I thought they were marvellous). I am going to put up a new post at the weekend when I get time!

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 6:00:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Phew! What a relief! These pictures are so much better. Thanks.

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 6:04:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I read your last post very quickly because I am not feeling too well, lol. But you are really brave, I cannot just try any food... I find it difficult to take pics of edible things without making them look disgusting...it is hard. Love your flowers, as always!

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 6:05:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I tried to visit this morning and darn Blogger was holding your site hostage. Michele sent me this time and I love these garden photos of yours. I'm off to see what all the fuss was about The Fruit of George though.

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 8:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful Picutres!
Thanks...
I was afraid to open your page and find the ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...hahaha
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Cool Raggedy one

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 9:23:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

When I first tried fresh figs, I wasn't so sure either, but now.... if it's sweet count me in.

I haven't had too much luck with pictures of succulents, but then you have such a lovely and varied garden to practice with. That pattern on the agave leaves is so interesting and the yellow flowers from the side view is stunning.

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 9:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful. :)

Umm, well, they do call it cactus fruit, right? And you can also split open some forms of cactus and use the internals as water if you're out in the desert and dehydrated.

I know my in-laws were a bit startled when some of the fruit from a palm tree had fallen and I sniffed at it like I might eat it. They were shocked and I was all, "Where you do think dates come from?" Ummm, yeah, palms give off fruit, too. I have a baby pindo palm that I can't WAIT until it gives fruit! :) You can bet I'll eat that too! My only concern is growing a palm tree in my tummy. :P

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 9:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Beautiful, well you know we love George , he is a celebrity in our house LOL

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 11:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The response is funny, lol.
I am laughing at the thought of people being horrified by a cactus. lol

I love these photos. Hard to pick which I like more. Love the Agave and it's patterned prickly leaves. And the Boug... it's one of my favorite plants. I love the orange Bougs a lot. Esp. if planted next to the purple or magenta ones. :)

Great photos. Very tame! lol
~S

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 12:30:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great photos!
As for the fruit of george.. While it doesnt gross me out it is interesting to say the least.. Its not something I think i'd try to eat unless starving..LOL

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 3:55:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm with Pickalish, I like looking at the strange and wonderful things that make me go "ewwww". I just don't think I could take a taste.

The flowers are beautiful. I don't think I have ever seen someone who has so many cacti.

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 5:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The blooms are awesome. So amazing your pictures showing the wonders of nature. Very fascinating! George didn't gross me out, but I can see how it might. I wouldn't be afraid of eating it as long as I knew it wasn't poisonous.

I laughed at some of the responses though!! I need all the laughs I can get!! :)

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 5:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

All of the flowers looks stunning. The other one is with spikes but it do really looks lovely. It looks like a card of spades. The rest are really great. The flower below looks like a bongavilla. Is it? I don't know if I spelled it right.

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 5:55:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love all your photo's!
Here from Michele's!
I went down and read your 911 post - I grew up right down the street from him - in Rockland. Your post brought some big time tears to my eyes & was very touching.
Unfortunately, I was unable to see the photo's because right now I'm on dialup (yikes), which is also why I didn't post a comment there and am doing it here instead. It takes so long to load... (Can't wait to get back to the high speed!)

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 6:27:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That pink is out of this world. I love them all but loved the other ones too. They all really do give me visceral reactions...not good or bad just WOW. They make my eyes pop.

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 6:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The bougainvillea is one of my favorites and I love that color combination!

I must go back and read all the comments about George - I wouldn't want to eat it either - but I didn't mind looking at it, in fact, I enjoy all your photos, Naomi.

Friday, September 15, 2006 at 9:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Some people are overly squeamish! Myself, I was intrigued by "Fruit of George"!

Saturday, September 16, 2006 at 3:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't find your last post squeamish at all only fascinating as I do this one. As I have mentioned before we can not grow cacti outside as we do not have the weather for it.
sory havn't been around much

Saturday, September 16, 2006 at 8:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So, I guess the fruit of George was a flop, huh??

Oh, well. Poor George can't help it if his innards are GROSS!!!

These photos were interesting and beautiful. The colors amaze me too.

Enjoy your weekend.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 at 9:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The pattern of the agave picture is mesmerizing. It practically burned itself into my memory in the first nanosecond after the page loaded on my screen.

I could look at your pictures all day.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 at 11:06:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Breathtaking photos! I love the colours of the flowers and you really captured them well!

Anyway, have a nice weekend to you Naomi!

Saturday, September 16, 2006 at 4:01:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh OOLOTH, you make me laugh. Okay, I must admit, for some reason George's offspring seemed a little too much 'vaginaish'...if that's a word. (Did I just say that?) You know what I think is the difference? You truly see these plants as your children & we all know that anything our child does is beautiful, right? I love George though, really. Because he brings you so much joy & plus, I think his buttons are cute.
These photos are beautiful. I like the pics of the groups of cacti, where you can see all of their lines & shadows.

Can you hear the roar of the USC game from your patio?

Saturday, September 16, 2006 at 6:07:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Such a beautiful thing in such a dangerous place. So many things are that way.

Saturday, September 16, 2006 at 7:46:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love all photos, Naomi! Just stunning!

Yesterday we had a big thunderstorm here and my Internet connection was very bad!

Have a nice Sunday!

Sunday, September 17, 2006 at 5:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hey, I liked George. He was really cool!

Monday, September 18, 2006 at 4:02:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Your ability to see the world and its wonders, consider the possibilities, and experience new things without prejudice makes you the superb artist we admire. Alas, the folks who were grossed out were not fortunate enough to have the benefit of a Normandy School education, or they might be inquiring where they can obtain a sample of cactus fruit.

Friday, September 22, 2006 at 1:44:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.