Tuesday, August 29, 2006
the emmy's and more wendy, too!

Okay. So the Emmy's are over and I can now tell you about my votes. I voted in four categories this year. As already reported, the Outstanding Variety, Music or Comedy category was announced last week and my first choice was the Blue Ribbon Panels first choice.

In the category of Outstanding Drama Series, my first choice was not the final choice of the Blue Ribbon Panels when all the votes were counted. "24" came away with the Emmy, and my first choice had been "The Soprano's". This category had a very large group of people voting and it was a difficult category because there were no bad shows here. Each one of the five Nominees were worthy contenders. But the overall consensus was not my first choice. We never know how close the voting is by the way...Now that would be very interesting to know, wouldn't it?

In the category of Outstanding Lead Actor In A Drama Series, again the final outcome of all the votes was not my first choice. The Emmy went to Kiefer Sutherland for "24" and my first choice was Dennis Leary for "Rescue Me". This was a really tough category and I found it very very difficult to assign these numbers in a descending order to performances that were all top notch. But, you can only give a "1" to one actor, and so one....and truthfully, no one was a "5". But, you must make these choices and believe me, it isn't easy. But for me, Dennis Leary had the edge with the episode he submitted.

In the third category announced last night,
Outstanding Actress In A Drama Series, again, my pick for "1" was not the same as the the outcome of the final vote. The Emmy went to Mariska Hargity and my "1" went to Frances Conroy. This was another very very difficult category to choose the "1" for....all these actresses were right up there, for me, except Geena Davis. In comparison to the other actresses and the episodes they chose for our 'consideration'---only one episode was allowed---Geena Davis' episode was not as strong as the other four people. I loved Mariska Hargity's speech, by the way....it was so heartfelt and I love that she always mentions her father....very touching.


I'm not deeply unhappy with any of the final outcomes because all of these were very very close calls, generally speaking, so as far as I'm concerned. Yes, I would have loved my choices to receive the Emmy, but those that walked away with the Awards certainly were incredibly deserving.


In two of the other categories that I did not vote on....two actors that I hoped would get the Emmy, did. Blythe Danner, for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, for "Huff" was right on the money as far as I was concerned. I happened to love the series "Huff", but Showtime did not renew it, which is very disappointing to me because I really thought it was wonderfully written and directed and I loved all the actors in this series, too. This was a great cast of people. And in so very many ways this show was better than so very many other shows one see's on television. Canceling this show was, to me, a big mistake, but I'm not the Showtime Network!


And the other actor that I was so very pleased about his getting the Emmy was Andre Braugher for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Mini Series Or Movie for "Thief". This was a real triumph of a win. This Mini Series was on FX and not a lot of people saw this series because of that....so, for this really superb actor to come away with the Emmy renewed my faith in the process. This was not a "popular" win by any means, which, for instance, Alan Alda's win for "The West Wing" surely was a very popular win. I think Alda was wonderful in "West Wing" but, in my opinion, Oliver Platt, to my way of thinking was extremely outstanding in "Huff". I mean he was perfection! But, Alda walked away with the Emmy and Platt, did not. Yup, I was disappointed. And of course this is my personal opinion based on what moves me and speaks to me and on what I understand about the craft of acting as well as the X factor in acting, too. It is all subjective. And that is why I think it is important that these final Blue Ribbon Panels should be as broad a group voting as possible. The more the merrier, I say, for a fairer cross section of opinions based on what we all see and are moved by.

I could write a lot about the show itself but all I will say is I hate that they give the people who win only 45 seconds to say their 'thank you's'. It is a ridiculously short amount of time and too much time is spent on the banter and jokes of the presenters. That lengthy Howie Mandel thing was a total waste of time to me, and another way for NBC to tout one of it's shows that frankly I do not 'get'.... I mean "Deal Or No Deal"? (I find it impossible to follow...) Who cares! Again, that's just my opinion.

So, another Emmy Show is over and I know that Wendy & Mark had a wonderful time on 'The Red Carpet'. I'm sure Wemdy will be blogging about all this after they get back to New Zealand. They go to Disneyland on Monday and will leave for New Zealand on Wednesday night....A whirlwind trip filled with a lot of exciting moments....

I got to see them one more time, I'm happy to say, today...well, yesterday now! Wendy called yesterday morning and said they were checking out of the Hotel and had rented a car so they would love to come up and see me and take some more pictures. And I thought that was a swell idea! So I got this fun picture of Wendy talking to the Starline Tour Bus guy---these buses come by my house every half hour in the daylight hours...and this was the same Tour company that the E! Channel had arranged for Wendy & Mark to take last Thursday when they came by my house!

Here are Wendy & Mark down in my garden. I didn't walk down there with them because of the bad air today. So I stood out on my deck and got this long shot of them walking up some of the steps.They are right in the middle of the picture....They didn't stay down in the garden too long because it was very very hot today, and down there, on a very very hot day, it feels like 'hell' down there...But, I'm glad they experienced the garden below and here is a closer look at them ascending the steps. And because I am excessive, I got one more picture of them ascending and got in real close...but I was still waaaaay up above them. The camera doing all the hard work! And I asked Mark to take a picture of Wendy and myself by George, but somehow Mark didn't get that picture. He had a bit of trouble with my camera...but a bit later he was able to get this sweet picture of me with Wendy by another beautiful plant.... And I got a very sweet picture of the two of them in front of another favorite and beautiful plant right in the front of my house, my Webercereus Johnsonii...a rare plant with this very rare and wonderful couple in front of it! I gave them some lunch and as they ate their Ice Cream for dessert, they were checking their map to see what they had to do to get out of our very congested Los Angeles on their way to the less congested city of Anaheim where Disneyland resides. And after a bit, they went on their way, leaving my home wending their way to the 101 freeeway.... And as they drove away and out of my sight, I thought to myself how incredibly special the Internet is that a wonderful blogging friend from half-way round the world could have been right here on my hill today. And this is someone I never would have met before Blogging, and had never even heard of nine months ago, and feel so close to now because of this fantastic way we all have of communicating, called The Blog! Amazing, Amazing....And there they go....almost out of sight...Till next time, dear Wendy & Mark...





A few last gossipy thoughts about The Emmys:

Farrah Fawcett....poor dear....she is really kind of gone, isn't she? Could it be too much bad stuff has been ingested that shouldn't be? These last few years have not been her best years, I'm afraid....Whenever I have seen her on any show----weather this one or Letterman or wherever----she has looked kind of loopy! And last night was no exception....only more so, next to those other two women....the only word for this that comes to mind is....OY!


And Ray Liotta....Can we talk about him for a second? What did that man do to himself???....He was such an attractive beautiful man! Now, he looks embalmed! At least, that's how he looked last night....Oh Dear!
Why? What is this absolute obsession with looking young?? Help Me Oh Nurse!! 'Oh Ray, I hardly knew you....' (And Felicity was almost unrecognizeable, too!!!...Double OY!...)


And, I was exremely happy that Jon Stewart and The Daily Show won Emmy's, again! Well deserved! Very well deserved, indeed


And "Elizabeth 1" and Helen Mirren, too. Beautiful Beautiful film and a Super Superb performance by this always exceptional actress. I've never seen her give a bad performance. Have you? Frankly, I think this was a no-brainer, really! And that's all I have to say, for now......






More To Come.....







39 Comments:
had this to say:

Naomi! I'm so glad that I chose your blog from Michele's blogroll today. I completely forgot about Wendy visiting the Emmys and YOU! How great to see the photos of her visit - wonderful, wonderful!

I was also glad to read your comments on the telecast. I usually don't watch the Emmys, which is strange because I watch a lot of TV. They usually bore me. But this show was better - funnier and less "stumping for a cause," if you know what I mean. Very enjoyable.

Thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge and all of your insider wit! Great visit. Hope you're having a great day!

And of course, our dear friend Michele sent me!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 3:54:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

What a special post! among all the Hollywood celebrities our very own celebrity: Miss Wings visiting, what fun! So glad they had a chance to stop by again, it seemed like the first time was way too short the three of you. Thanks for sharing these special moments, I am very happy I can be somehow part of them (if you allow me!) just by reading about this meeting!
Oh, and about Farrah and Ray: I think it is very important for one's integrity to age with dignity... that's why I love to see the seldom pics of Brigitte Bardot with a face which used to be flawless when she was a young beauty and now you know every little line around her eyes or mouth could tell so many wonderful stories.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 5:11:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Wonderful review! Glad you got to see Wendy and Mark again. As for your garden, Oy, those stairs would play havoc with my knees! :-)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 5:27:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Terrific post, Naomi, and right on the money. :)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 5:32:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Did you know that Mariska Hargity was Jane Mansfield's daughter? You probably did! I agree with you about Farrah and I didn't recognize Ray Liotta. My husband did and I kept saying "That's Ray Liotta?! Are you sure?"

I'm glad Julia Louise D. won for her New Christine performance. I think she is great it in.

I didn't like the part of the red carpet commentary where the dissed the dresses while the woman wearing them were still inside. The should at least wait till the next day!

So many of the good shows I've missed. I only get the standard 3 channels and PBS.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 6:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I couldn't agree with you more about the deal or no deal thing.. gimme a break!! And I'm with you on all the "looking young" stuff. I can remember when Charles Bronson had as much character in his face as he had inside of himself.. then one day.. he just wasn't Bronson anymore! I guess it won't stop until they stop getting hired because they look so awful.. i always thought they got hired for their talent.. silly me!

Glad you had a second visit!!! I've met a few from the internet also and have never been disappointed!! "it's a small world after all"! heh

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 6:45:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

And, the Emmy goes to our blogger star... NAOMI for "Lady in the Hills." (You are truely a gift to all of us.)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 6:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That is so fantastic that you got to meet blogger friends! :) And they got to see your garden, I'm a little envious... but boy are those some steep stairs.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 7:13:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

wow! wendy got to meet up with you again afterwards...i am so jealous! lol! as for your observations on the emmys - couldn't agree with you more. ;)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 8:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I've taken that Starline tour (twice).
:)

What a fun visit. And I'd never seen the cactus garden before. Truly impressive.

Love Jon Stewart, and we always watch The Daily Show. He's the voice insanity, couched with humor.

~S

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 9:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I don't watch award shows generally because I never see the programs they were based on but enjoyed your take on it. Also was glad to see more pictures of your visits with internet friends. It is a wonderful venue to meet people we'd never even know of otherwise.

On the aging stars, I think it's sad that they have lost touch that it's okay to be beautiful and old. It's as though being young is the only thing that matters and nobody can have that anyway. They can get as you said embalmed, they can be plasticized but they can not look young. There is no going back no matter how much surgery, you just lose who you were which seems sad. Smith in those pics of the 3 angels is a good example. She doesn't look like her and all in an attempt to look young. Helen Mirren is a contrary example of how you can be beautiful and not look young. Hope she sticks with it and continues showing what can be-- character and beauty

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 11:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

SO happy you got to visit with Wendy again!! Great photos too!!

As for Farrah, she looks awful!! And she acts like she's on a bad trip of acid. Flake case...Kate and Jacyln looked embarrassed, didn't they?

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 11:28:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So happy Wendy stopped by again to see you! Got to walk through your gardens!

Great pictures! You all look so happy!

Mariska Hargity looked so good in her dress and her hair, OMG! She just shined that night. I've got hours, and hours of tape to go through.

Home sick today with an awful bug that's been going around work. I may just go back to bed, and watch the Emmy's all over again.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 12:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

ooh I LOVE Blythe Danner - she is so cool and SO incredibly beautiful it hurts.....

But my dear, you have just broken my heart - they have cancelled Huff? The first decent drama series in years - and they have cancelled it???

[sob]

cq

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 1:20:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I saw the tribute that the original Angels did. Kate and Jaclyn indeed looked a bit embarrassed. The last four or five times I've seen Farrah on TV she has looked totally plastered, drunk or else there is a serious neurologic problem going on here. She really should get some help.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 1:38:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naommi, I agree with everything you said about most of the shows and people. I have never watched a single episode of any of the shows that won.....LOL, so I can't speak to them. I thought the Sopranos should win too. Wendy and Mark look like such nice people and I am happy for you that you got to meet them. I hope I get to meet you one day also.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 1:50:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I didn't watch the Emmy's, but I was glad to hear that Keifer Sutherland won. 24 is the show that all four of us watch together. We LOVE that show!

The photo of you and Wendy is so great! Your smile is wonderful!!!

I think Farrah may have lost some brain cells over the years... :)

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 4:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

great update and THANK YOU for telling us how you voted. I was wondering. I'm a 24 whore, so I'm glad that it won and that Keifer won too, but I also love Dennis Leary and was kinda sad that he didn't. I DO NOT GET the Barry Manilow thing at all. He's embalmed, as you say, and totally and completely creepy. I think Colbert should have won.

Great photos, as usual, and I can't wait to read Wendy's comments on her LA experience. I looked for her on the red carpet, but didn't see her.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 4:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How wonderful that you got to visit with Wendy again. It is amazing this blogging world and the friends you find from it!

Lovely pictures. Whew, those garden steps are steep!! Lovely garden though,just lovely!

Thanks for the Emmy comments. It's all much more interesting hearing it from you Naomi!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 5:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm so glad you, Wendy & Mark had a nice visit. Sounded like a lot of fun. There is so much to see around you.

I have to say it just breaks my heart lately to see Farrah Fawcett. The last time I saw her on the David Letterman show she was so flighty. I loved watching her on Charlie's Angels years ago.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 6:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love this post, Naomi!
Wendy and Mark look very nice people! What a great time you all had!

Your garden is just beautiful with many cactus and succulents! Really an amazing space of nature!

I like also your comments about the Emmy and actors. Thanks for sharing this great post!

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 6:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Honest to goodness! Those were very lovely photos. Good shots I should say. Now I see all those plants of yours. This is the first time you've shown photos of your garden. Quite huge and very beautiful. No wonder you grow so many beautiful plants and flowers.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 10:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just so ya know... I agree with your votes. However, we live in a democratic society (thank God), and I like you will stand by the winners. I'm just excited for you that you had the chance to participate. That in itself is a great accomplishment.

Tuesday, August 29, 2006 at 11:31:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a great visit you had with Wendy and Mark and you look terrific, Naomi and so happy.
Ditto on all you said about the Emmy's...especially about Farrah.
Helen Mirren....Now that's what "I" call aging gracefully. Doesn't she look super? So regal.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 6:49:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I just love your blog Naomi! I am so glad I discovered it. Your writing style is so conversational and welcoming, it's a real pleasure to read. :)

I really enjoyed this insiders view of The Emmys. Oh, and it bugs me no end as well that the thankyou speeches are obviously so rushed, yet the presenters seem to go on and on and on sometimes.

Loved the shots of your garden too btw!

And I was very sad to see the beautiful Farrah Fawcett trying so desperately to hang on for dear life to her long-gone youth. Do these people not realise how obviously 'fixed up' they look, and how freakish that is? I plan to age gracefully (or disgracefully as the case may be!!!). No botox for me!! :)

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 6:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh what fun! I'm so glad you got to see her again! (and get more pictures!) And yea... it really WOULD be nice to know how close those votes were! hehehe...

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 7:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I would have chosen "The Sopranos", too, even though this last season kind of ended in a quiet fizzle. I'm just sure it's leading up to a spectacular final season. Doesn't matter, I still love it.
And Helen Mirren, I just saw "Elizabeth I", that was very, very good.
Poor Farrah, is she STILL loopy? I saw that original "Letterman" fiasco, when was that? Late '90's? I was SO shocked that ANYONE was SO disoriented on live TV, even late night. I thought, "Is it just me? Or is she on drugs and/or completely LOST her MIND?!"
I was going around telling everybody about it, and then it hit the news. Okay, it wasn't just me who thought it was weird!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 11:42:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Albeit a very long time in the coming..was thrilled to see Kiefer Sutherland and 24 finally win something. His dad..Donald (Kiefer's a chip off the old block for sure) was in the audience..and just looked pleased as pie.

Surfed in from 'The Queer Chef," and am supposed to say..'the Coment %hore' sent me.

Lovely blog.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 11:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hey there, thx for the comment on my blog,
u've got a really nic eblog here.
Great pics and all =)

Well, have a great day!
A.j.B.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 12:03:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

This is so exciting! I hope I can get an Emmy too in the near future (really delusional! lol!) Lovely pictures as usual. I am rooting for 24 though the series I wanted never made it to the nominees

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 4:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great post as usual! :)

Poor, poor Farrah. I wince when I watvh her now. What went wrong?

Even though I'm only in Orange County, I hardly ever seem to make it up LA. All of you pictures make me want to make the time, and head out!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 7:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

These photos made me see how big your garden is! Wow!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 9:54:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It was fun to see how you voted (since I never met nayone before who got to vote)....You are definately right about Farrah-there is something going on there.

That is the first picture I have seen of your whole garden like that--it is beautiful!! When I was in Arizona last week I was sad because my mom moved into this neighborhood that only allows grass and no desert landscaping-so I made her drive me around other neighborhoods just to look at yards-and I told her about your yard and your beautiful pictures.

I'm glad that you had such a wonderful visit with Wendy!

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 at 11:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so thrilled that you were able to have Wendy and Mark over at your house. I was thinking the same thing when you and Wendy first mentioned her impending trip: that the Internet is such an amazing resource that brings folks together.

Nothing short of magical. I'm still working on my LA trip...if I have any more months like I've had this past one, it'll be an easy sell to the powers-that-be who approve these things.

It's wonderful to read your words again, Naomi. I see I have lots of catching up to do. Off I go...

Friday, September 1, 2006 at 2:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This was so much fun to read. Frankly, I'm convinced that most of the Emmy voters don't even watch TV!! How Tony Shaloub can win for "Monk" year after year when only five people watch that show is beyond me. How The Sopranos, Six Feet Under and Grey's Anatomy get shut out is beyond me. How Steve Carrell doesn't win is beyond me.

And agreed about Farrah! Between her and Paula Abdul, I don't know who was more looped.

Glad you had a good visit with Wendy, too! Love the photos!

Sunday, September 3, 2006 at 8:17:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

"...what is this obsession with looking young?" as you said Old Lady of the Hills. That is the question I've been asking myself for a lot of years.

I found someone else who asks the same question on a blog all women, and many men should be reading ... "Time Goes By." It's high time...long past time...when we should be saying to ourselves that we're going to live life like it really is...we're going to accentuate the beauty of aging.

I couldn't agree with you more about Jon Stewart and Helen Mirren. Also, was pleased to see Louis Horvitz win for directing the Academy Awards show.

Monday, September 4, 2006 at 3:43:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

"...what is this obsession with looking young?" as you said Old Lady of the Hills. That is the question I've been asking myself for a lot of years.

I found someone else who asks the same question on a blog all women, and many men should be reading ... "Time Goes By." It's high time...long past time...when we should be saying to ourselves that we're going to live life like it really is...we're going to accentuate the beauty of aging.

I couldn't agree with you more about Jon Stewart and Helen Mirren. Also, was pleased to see Louis Horvitz win for directing the Academy Awards show.

Monday, September 4, 2006 at 3:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

My Fiance dosent watch the Emmys and he sat on the couch and Saw Mariska win, my mouth dropped to the floor, (I thought Frances Conroy should win, shes excellent!)
Mariska adores her father, he had a heart attack last year and was by his side the whole time, she brings him to the wrap parties, he is such a nice person!(and that is my only connection to the industry!! everytime I meet Mariska She shakes my hand and says "Nice to meet you" after meeting her 50 times! :) )

I saw two episodes of Huff but I know why it was cancelled , you could never find it on TV!

Monday, September 4, 2006 at 8:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you so much Naomi for directing me to this post. I was wonderful to read your choices for Emmy picks and even more wonderful to view the lovely snapshots of Wendy and Mark's visit.

Your garden looks glorious.

Sunday, October 1, 2006 at 11:25:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.