Sunday, August 13, 2006
books

I've lost the beginning of this post twice now...so, who knows what will happen...Blogger is really driving me nuts! I know I am not alone in this, though, so that brings some comfort.....

Vancouver Voyeur tagged me some time ago now and finally, I am getting to it....It was interesting for me to do in a way because I realize that most of the things that have meaning for me I read a very long time ago...but I guess that's just how it is for me so....here it is. (I hope this bloody paragraph will still be here when I post this!)

One book that changed my life . . ."The Autobiography of Malcom X", by Alex Hailey. I think, for me, this is the most important book I have ever read in my whole life. And I read it a very very long time ago, and have re-read it, too...and to this day, over 40 years later, it still is a book that I feel illuminated some very very important things and deeply moved me....

One book that I've read more than once . . ."Gone With The Wind"...I read this as a young girl....and read it again, years later as a young adult. I loved this book. And I have to include another book: "The Gift Horse" by an actress named Hildegarde Neff, who lived through the Nazi's and came to this country and became a star on Broadway and in films...a most inspiring book on very many levels.

One book I'd want on a desert island ....Boy, this is hard....I honestly do not know that I can pick one book...but if forced to pick one book I guess it would have to be "Gone With The Wind" because it is long and might keep my mind off the horrors of being marooned! Might!

One book that made me laugh . . .Jon Stewart's "America". So much fun.

One book that made me cry . . .A wonderful book called "Was" by Geoff Ryman. And I must include, "To Kill A Mocking Bird" by Harper Lee...what a beautiful moving book and a damn good film, too...

One book I wish I'd written . . .Impossible to choose...Utterly impossible....But let me say this...their is a passage in Hildegard Neff's book which was meant as a kind of letter to her---at-the-time---young daughter, in case she, Ms. Neff, did not live long enough to tell this beloved daughter certain important things about life and being a woman in this world....I wish I had written that!

One book I wish had never been written . . .Well, there are probably a few of these but in truth, I don't think that there should ever be the 'Book Police'....free speech extends to books, as well.

One book I'm currently reading . . .Actually, I am reading a play. An old play, but one that is done quite often..."Morning's At Seven" by Paul Osborn....I was asked to read it for a very specific reason...so, I am.

One book I've been meaning to read . . .This list is l-o-n-g....I love Biography's and Autobiography's...so there are a few that I want to read...one is the new book on Ava Gardner...yes, I know, that will sound really shallow to some people, but I love reading about the people I watched on the screen who's lives were fascinating to me....this woman was an individualist before it was the 'thing' to be and she lived life on her own terms also before that was the thing to do....

So that's it. There are many many other books that fall into all the catagories, but these are the ones that come to mind immediately. I'm not tagging anyone but if you feel like doing it, do. And if you do, let me know when you post it.

More To Come....















28 Comments:
had this to say:

Interesting choices, Naomi. Maybe I will look for "America", though I usually read fiction, I do love me some comedy.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 3:49:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Interesting selection of books. Enjoyed reading it. I just recently did this meme on my blog.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 5:54:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

To kill a mocking bird is one of those books that made me cry as well. I manage to read it when we had a book report and that was the book chosen by my teacher for me to report on

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 7:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

books are constant sources of delight and amazement, aren't they? like you, naomi, i doubt that i could ever live in a world without them. ;)

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 7:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, I enjoyed this Naomi! I think when we do the Memes that go around we learn about others who's journals we read.. I gave this one a try myself!

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 8:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oops, sorry I mean I'm doing it lol and will post it tomorrow.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 8:39:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I loved "Was". That was a wonderful book. I live about a block from the cemetery where Margaret Mitchell is buried.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 5:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love so much to know which are your preferences, Naomi!

There is a book I love so much! Did you ever read THE ALEXANDRIA QUARTET, by Lawrence Durrell? The Alexandria Quartet: Justine/ Balthazar/ Mountolive/ Clea/ is a remarkable book! The interesting and awesome in this book is the point of view: telling essentially the same story from different points of view. Great!

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 6:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I can't do it tonight, I have to work tomorrow. I'll let you know when I get it up!

Loved yours. I haven't read "Gone with the wind" in too long. I must read it again.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 6:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great meme! I feel inspired to pull out my old copy of Gone With the Wind and reread it now.

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 9:32:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I read "Gone With The Wind" when I was 9 yrs. old. It was my favorite book and still is. I loved it and read it so much that my 7th grade teacher gave me a hardback copy inscribed by her which meant more to me than anything. I still have that book. I also read and loved "America" by John Stewart. I actually have a crush on him and TiVo his show every night. What a great list!

Sunday, August 13, 2006 at 10:25:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Gone With the Wind? To Kill A Mockingbird? Ava Gardner? Why, I do believe you have Southern sensibilities, Miz Caryl! Looks like you took the best of the South, and left the bad stuff behind. Me, too.

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 1:31:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

My very first was Mystery of The 99 steps- Nancy Drew. Still remember it fondly as it was my introduction to the love of reading.

PS I love your site, and I picked you from Michelle's blog roll. You are a wonderful person and may God bless and watch over you.

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 4:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great list of books!!

I don't think reading biographies/autobiographies is shallow at all - I find great inspiration in some of the biographies & autobiographies I've read - and as you know, I am currently (just about finished!) reading Jane Fondas.

PS: *Love* To Kill A Mockingbird also! And have to read Gone With The Wind one of these days (it's one of my all-time favourite movies).

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 5:17:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love to Kill a Mockingbird and I think Jon Stewart is very funny!

I am ashamed to say I have never read "Gone with the Wind". I have watched the movie over and over since I was a wee child and I just didn't see how I could read it after that....I just love the movie so much that I don't think I could make my mind work around it.

Great choices!

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 7:08:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Hi Naomi! This might sound terrible, but I can't even remember doing a book meme! But I did enjoy the books you listed. I also loved Jon Stewart's _America_ and will look up a number of the other books mentioned to have a read. Thanks for sharing!

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 10:15:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Hi, dear! I am back, I am tired but I just had to stop by... and you are talking about books. I am afraid I have been reading a lot less since I am blogging...it's a pity, I know. I just don't seem to find the time. I love to read in other languages than my own (Spanish) and grab whatever is available in our local tiny library... Hugs, my dear. I have many stories to tell, but first I have to get my beauty sleep, lol! love ya,
mar

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 1:24:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, thanks for the visit. I thought of you, and other artists, poets, craftsmen as I was writing this. I knew that all of that creativity is our "little back shop".

Hope you are feeling well.

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 5:18:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I love "To Kill a Mockingbird" and re-read it last year. Right now I'm working on "Son of a Witch", the continued story started in MacGuire's "Wicked".

The musical was much happier than the original book which I found really dark; captivating but dark, none the less.

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 5:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

We're all suffering with Blogger's chronic hiccups.

Loved your book list. I've read several fun autobios. I loved Shelley Winter's and also Cameron Manheim's. :)

~S

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 5:45:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I did this a week ago and am still thinking about it...books I forgot to mention etc. Your mention of Malcom X reminded me that "I Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee" had a similiar effect on me.

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 5:53:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Very interesting Naomi! I used to read quite a bit but I don't as much now. Probably because I'm on the computer so much!! I loved Phyllis Whitney and Victoria Holt. I also like biographies too of people I like!!

Great meme! Thanks for doing it!

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 7:00:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I love "To Kill a Mockingbird" and re-read it last year. Right now I'm working on "Son of a Witch", the continued story started in MacGuire's "Wicked".

The musical was much happier than the original book which I found really dark; captivating but dark, none the less.

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 7:20:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Having seen the picture of your library, I cannot imagine how difficult it was for you to choose just 1 book in these categories. As much as I like Jon Stewart, I still haven't browsed thru his book. Since you like it, now I'm gonna have to.

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 9:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello, Naomi!!
I has been very strange to not blog for two whole weeks. I am glad to be back visiting you again.
I had a lot of catching up to do, and I enjoyed the read.
One of my favorite books of all time in The Secret Garden, since that is what my Gramillo bought me when I was little. I have seen all the movies that have been made from it too. There are quite a few.
I thoroughly enjoyed your photos and post about your recording session. The blog comment from the little girl in the bonnet must have been a special surprise. She's all grown up now and reading your wonderful blog!!
I will post a new post on Wed. I have much to share, and I thoroughly enjoyed spending time with my family.

Monday, August 14, 2006 at 10:07:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love reading memoirs too. I am fascisnated by people and real life stories.

I left a comment to your comment on my site. Too long for here.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006 at 6:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

My stack of books I need to read is stupidly high at this point. God, I miss the train trip to New York every day. I read all of Proust and most of Tolstoy and a whole lot of...stuff. Now, I'm practically illiterate. I've resorted to reviewing book reviews on my blog because I haven't got time to read the books.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 at 8:35:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I also loved The Autobiography of Malcolm X...I didn't know much about him other than that he was a "black revolutionary" which was in our history books back when I was in high school. I think that if he had lived, things would be much different and for the better. An amazing man, certainly.

Wednesday, August 23, 2006 at 8:32:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.