Wednesday, July 26, 2006
emmy viewing - 2

Many of you have commented on me being chosen to 'judge' these Emmy panels and just so you understand, any Television Academy Member is eligible to judge any of the panels as long as they are not connected in any way to any of the programs they will be judging. Many members volunteer to do this and as long as you 'fit' into the prescribed rules set up by the Academy...you are accepted. So, because I fit these criteria, I have been accepted to judge the different panels I have volunteered for.

An interesting thing about the voting in this particular category which I just finished watching, is the method of voting.
There are five levels which are available to you: Poor, Fair, Good, Very Good, and Excellent. (Which is somewhat different than some of the other category's). You must choose one of these five for each of the programs that are nominated. And in this particular category you could give each one a rating of 'Excellent', if that is what you feel about it. In truth, this category: Outstanding Variety, Music, Or Comedy Special, is an impossible catagory because it isn't fair to judge a very heavily produced show, such as The Olympics, against a much simpler production such as Bill Maher or George Carlin.


So I find that it levels the playing field quite a bit that I can give each of these programs an "Execellent" if that's how I feel. There will always be someone else who feels differently about these programs than I do and so in the end the Emmy will go to the program that recieved the most "Excellent" votes. It may be a very close call ultimately, and of course there could be a 'tie', but a decision will be made with this system. I for one am very grateful that in this particular category you are able to use the same 'rating' for all of them if you feel that way, and truthfully, all five of these programs are very very worthy contenders.


Danny Miller commented on my previous post saying he wasn't happy when one Awards show honors another Awards show with, in this case, an Emmy. He said it felt like we were congratulating ourselves---or words to that effect. Well, having just finished watching the Academy Awards Show I must tell you that it was great Television viewing, in every way, and right up there with the four other nominees, in my book. Frankly, I had forgotten what a truly terrific show this was and so the Television Academy's insistence that one must watch all the 'enclosed dvd's' even if you have already seen the program is a well taken point. (One must sign an affidavit to this effect, by the way...) It was stunningly produced and filled with humor, and some very moving moments which brought me to tears. Admittedly I am in love with the movies and always have been for all of my life, so one could say I have a bias here....but I assure you, there have been years when The Academy Award Show was not that great and was for me a dissappoinment. This was not the case this year.



And a number of you asked if I can tell you how I voted...well, no, I don't feel that I can tell you. After August 27th I will tell you, but I don't feel right revealing that on my blog, before the fact. I do take this judging job very seriously because I know how these Awards things can go, and often do. By participating in this process I feel that my own personal integrity is involved and I care very much about how I vote. I know this is not going to change any really important things like World Hunger, or the AIDS Crises, but for whatever it is worth, I know I have done my best to judge these programs fairly. And that's really all I can do. My Ballot for this category will be in the mail tomorrow. And I am now waiting for the DVD's to arrive for the next panel that I volunteered to judge....I thought they would be here by today, but hopefully they will arrive by Thursday.


Governor's Ball: Emmy's 2005

More To Come......








22 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi, as a member of the academy, are you invited to attend the ceremony? Are you going? When was the last time you went? I think it's neat that you are a part of the process.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 6:03:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow...am I "first" here?
Thanks for all the info, Naomi. Really enjoyed reading it and I must say they're very fortunate to have a judge as ethical as you are and who takes this so seriously.
Looking forward to the next round of reviews and info from you and your final choices when the viewing is over late August.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 6:28:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You always tickle me with the wonderful things you keep going on over here. And I think it is great that you do take your responsibility seriously and with integrity. Folks could learn from that! Have fun in your judging!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 6:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am sure you will vote fairly :)
You posted those pictures of the Governors ball just to torment me didn't you HAHAHA.
I finally updated tonight, I have been on the go the last few days but am slowed down now, mainly because I can't walk well , I fell ooops.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 8:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I don't blame you one bit for not wanting to reveal your votes until after they have been submitted. That's only fair. I have always wondered why they place extravaganzas like the Olympic ceremonies and the Oscars against shows like you mentioned (Carlin and Maher). It seems to me they should have a separate category for pageants and opening ceremonies, but perhaps there are not enough of them in a given year to make that worthwhile.

Whatever the case, it is all very interesting to those of us who are in no way connected to the business, and I appreciate hearing about it from you. Thanks for sharing.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 8:40:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just live for the award show season. I absolutely love the Oscars, the Emmy's and the Golden Globes. Everyone in my family knows not to disturb me while watching. All I can say is Thank God for TiVo and being able to pause a show if I have to get up and do something. I can't wait!

Wednesday, July 26, 2006 at 10:00:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Michele sent me back this morning, Naomi. Isn't it nice of Marie to ack for cards for that poor little girl with cancer? I will definitely do it!

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 4:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I can tell you are totally enjoying the voting !!

I think, no.. I KNOW the most beautiful statue for an awards show is the Emmy! Many years ago while volunteering at Tippi Hedren's Shambala Preserve, a makeup artist named Doug Kelley dropped by and brought his Emmy with him that he had won in 1989 for an episode of Quantum Leap. It was the most beautiful statue I had ever seen!!! I know the Oscars means more to those in the industry..but the Emmy Statue far out glows the Oscar for beauty!

I hope you enjoy the next group of DVD's!!

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 5:59:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow what a great post..
Nice.......
Award season means alot to me too..
The shows are part of my livelyhood..
You are such a good writer..

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 7:19:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Of course you should not tell others how you voted until afterwards and not even then if you choose not to. It is an honored thing you are doing and I think you are a fine judge who will be completely fair and honest!

I do not watch the award show because I don't watch much TV at all these days, nor do I see very many movies. Very, very few actually. The last movie I watched was "Elizabethtown." I wanted to see it since Paula Deen (my favorite cooking lady on the Food Network) had a small role. My nephew's wife got it for me as a gift and she said it was good. They did a lot of the filming in KY (another reason to see it). But I was sadly disappointed in it. The acting was okay but the story just wasn't realistic to me.

Anyway, I know you enjoy the judging and I can just picture you watching with Sweetie beside you taking notes as well!! :)

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 7:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

This whole process is fascinating to me. Good for you not revealing your choices until after the fact. The academy is lucky to have you! stacie

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 7:53:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I started reading Rona Barret when I was a teenager. There was no "People" magazine or anything like it back then! I have always loved to watch the Academy Awards, partly because I think those involved in entertainment field are, on the whole such caring and interesting people.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 9:30:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oooohh.. that is quite cool to be a part of the Emmy's. It's nice to know how the voting works and stuff like that. *sigh* I am always dreaming to be a Hollywood star be it an actor or just involve in the filming process

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 11:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh it must be so hard deciding!
This whole thing is just so interesting! Who knew? Not I. I thought the academy was all actors and directors that made the choices! It's nice to know that's not true!

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 12:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

This whole thing sounds so interesting Naomi! I really respect the way you feel about revealing your votes. Of course I'm looking forward to the post-Emmy-Awards post to know how you voted. Do you get invited to the ceremony?

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 1:54:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Love the fasinating behind-the-scenes look.

I'm sure this information is located somewhere, but can you tell us how many judges there are per catagory and who actually picks the programs included in each catagory?.

Thanks!

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 2:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, I wish to you a good work and also I hope you have a great time!

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 2:40:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks so much for this insight into Emmy voting, Naomi.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 5:38:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

That picture at the bottom is so captivating. The pinks and golds are beautiful.
Thank you for explaining all that. I, too, am glad you can mark each on their own merit & not have to judge them within a group. That just seems so difficult, given the 5 programs.
Now, I can't wait to watch the Emmys.

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 5:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I just think it's absolutely fascinating that you are "involved" in this at all -- and I love that you are sharing the process with us - the general public because honestly, I sometimes have wondered WHO voted for these things! Between you and Wendy, I almost feel like I'm THERE! :)

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 8:13:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Well you answered our questions so well. Now when we see them, we can say we know someone who actually helped with the judging.

Loved "The Producers", even without the original leads, just hope I can get the song "Springtime for Hitler" out of my head. ;)

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 10:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you for all the information!
I am sure you will choose what is best..
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) meow hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

Thursday, July 27, 2006 at 11:12:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.