Tuesday, July 18, 2006
magic time, again...

Tonight, the Night Blooming Cereus has 11 blossoms that are all open at once...it is so incredibly magical to see them...I cannot tell you...So I will show you as best I can. Believe me though when I say photographs do not do this justice...I wish you all could see them "In Person"...it is quite indescribable... While I was out there taking pictures tonight, my neighbor from next door who was walking his dog stopped to take in this phenomenom...He had seen the flowers on Thursday night...well, early evening really, when they were not quite open yet and I'm not sure he 'got' what this was all about. So tonight he said to me.."I thought you said they were only open one night?" And I answered, "Yes, that's right. And those flowers are completely over and these are the flowers that opened just for tonight!" It is a hard concept. He was quite amazed and we stood and talked for quite a while about the flowers and their fantastic life-span and then the little son came out and he was rather in awe, too.... I pointed out to both of them the dead flowers from Thursday just so they could see how dried up these one nighters already were...(gee, that sounds kind of sleazy doesn't it...) But here, below, you can see one of the dead flowers from Thursday right next to the very alive vibrant one from tonight...After a little bit, they both went down their driveway and back inside their house...I continued taking some pictures there in the quiet. About a half hour later when I came out once again to refine my picture taking another neighbor from the beginning of my street was walking his dog--a beautiful sweet Golden....The neighbor was so stunned by the flowers he said he was coming back with his camera, later.... And then while I was talking to him, the moth that pollinates these flowers came to do it's wonderful work and I think we kind of scared him so I couldn't get a picture of him. These moths are much bigger than any regular moths one might see...I so wish we hadn't scared him....well, maybe another night....It is excitng to see eleven of these one-night-only flowers all blooming at the very same time...the same time clock at work. There will be more, (actually, it looks like there will be 7 more tomorrow or the next night...) and so if I'm lucky maybe I will be able to catch the amazing moth doing his thing, tomorrow...so I leave you with one more single flower in all it's beauty....
More to come, as always....









28 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Beautiful pictures of flowers Naomi as usual! Lol! Btw, regarding to the Comment Whore. I already gave my credits to Michele on its first round. And thanks also for participating.. hehehehehe

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 2:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

These flowers are truly stunning! Thanks for sharing your photos with us as I have never seen anything like it before. I can only imagine what they actually look like for real. No wonder your neighbours stopped and looked. I do hope the power is still holding up for you. it must eb awful wondering when it will go adain, if at all.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 2:50:00 AM PDT 

Blogger Ace
had this to say:

the queer chef brought me here.

Probably, you and I went to Charles' blog at the same time. left a comment to visit K's blog and you hit 'post' before me. So I went directly to K's blog even though, technically, I am due to visit your blog.

So here I am!

Nice flowers! They look wild! I cannot believe they are actually on your backyard. I wish i can see and touch it.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 3:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

well it seems your flowers are there for more then just their beauty... they are there to get the neighbors more friendly!

gorgeous photo's naomi!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 4:09:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks Lady for visiting my blog. Thanks also to Charles, the Queerchef for the blog-game - as the Nokia's saying goes, "Connecting People".

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 4:31:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I literally gasped out loud when I saw these pictures. I can only imagine how gorgeous these truly are in person! I love these and have never seen them before. Thanks so much for sharing. Do they smell nice? They look like they would smell just devine.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 5:28:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Those are SPECTACULAR! I have never seen nor heard of them...beautiful. I would love some here!!!!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 5:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Just gorgeous, Naomi! Thanks again for sharing.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 6:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

So beautiful, Naomi. Great photos!
I have never seen this flower before. So amazing that they open just for one night! What an awesome mistery! I don't remember if you said or not, but they have a good smell?

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 6:36:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I am truly captivated by these flowers. They're just stunning. So I can also see why neighbors would stop by for a peek.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 7:05:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

These are such beautiful flowers, Naomi.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 7:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Gorgeous!

Happy Tuesday!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 7:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

absolutely gorgeous! you'd win top honors in any flower show for sure! ;)

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 8:04:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Awsome...as always!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 9:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

These really are extraordinary!
To bloom with such fanfare one night only. Amazing.
~S

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 9:35:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh the evanescence of life. Makes me almost like flowers a little bit. Thanks for sharing.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 10:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Absolutely unreal, Naomi! Something "fleshly" about them---not totally plant-like...

Do you ever wonder what your life would be like today without the internet?
Oh, how much poorer both you and I would be, beautiful Naomi!
Happy Day,
love
lucyd

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 10:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, those are incredible flowers. How neat that you shared their beauty with your neighbors. I'll bet the youngsters will remember this for a long, long time.

So glad to hear from you yesterday. Hope you're doing well! Have a great Tuesday!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 10:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love these flowers!! They are so incredible...and big. Thanks for sharing!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 10:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

These beautiful flowers reminds me of the ones that bloom in the desert and only for a short span (can't remember the name but spectacular). Amazing that something so beautiful is here for such a short period. Kinda like us huh?.
Have A Great Day!!! :-)

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 10:20:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

These are absolutely lovely and the photos are too. It is really, really hard to get the right balance in night photography and I think you've done fabulously. The blooms look so soft and delicate.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 12:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Absolutely Beautiful!!!! They are breathtaking flowers! I love how the tips look like they have little lights on the ends! I can only imagine how gorgeous they are in person! I'm so glad that you are able to share their beauty with your neighbors!

Thanks for the pictures!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 12:59:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

absolutely amazing... And I find it almost melancholy that they only live for one short night...

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 1:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What absolutely breath-taking flowers. Thanks for taking pictures of them to share with us. Even if they weren't as spectacular as in person (so you say, lol), they turned out great!!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 2:02:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Those flowers are so beautiful. What a difference 1 day makes!
I thought of you on our way home. We were driving thru the desert & I saw so many beautiful cacti. Normally, I wouldn't have noticed them, but since seeing your cactus garden, they were so beautiful.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 3:48:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

They sound amazing and they look beautiful! :)

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 3:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Anyone who wouldn't believe the beauty that is within this photos might be going out of his mind. I love the first photo a lot. I love how the flowers arranged itself. Just awesome and fantastic.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 7:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW! Those are awesome! Isn't it amazing that God chose to make these flowers SO beautiful ... and yet they only bloom at night when almost no one will see them... Do they smell heavenly too?

Tuesday, July 18, 2006 at 8:51:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.