Thursday, July 06, 2006
the party - part 2

Okay, Okay...here is a picture of me! My hair is blowing in the 'thank-God-we-had-a-breeze' wind and I am much heavier than I would like to be...but, this is me at the beginning of the party out on my deck taken by the fella that worked 'the bar'....this crowd is sooooo not a drinking crowd....Some of them used to be drinkers many years ago, (quite a few 'recovering' people)...but given that there were 35 people...only one full bottle of Chardonay was gone and just a dollop of Red wine....and almost no hard liquor, at all....Amazing!

I got some flowers for the glass table in the living room...this place that I got the flowers from is called 'The Conservatory' and the man that owns it does extrodrinary arrangements....truly special and simply Gorgeous! There were some flowers in this arrangement that I do not recall ever having seen before, in my life! And I just spoke with the Owner/Designer trying to find out what these flowers are... He said that the Big Round Dark Purple is Allium...Here is a close up of one of those blossoms, in it's fifth day....taken today! And when I asked Van, the owner/designer what the second smaller little dark purple ball of a flower--with slight pale tan highlights--was, well, he honestly couldn't remember what he used! (lol) Here is a photograph of this incredible flower and if anyone (Judy?) out there knows what this is, please do leave it in a comment or email me... These 'miracle' flowers just brightened up the living room in every way and I think about 25 of the 35 people who were here for the party Ooood & Aaaaad at the beauty of this arrangement, and I did too. And just because I love flowers so very much, here is one more photograph... Again, this was taken today, July 5th, and this rose is still totally awesomely gorgeous! I may have to call Van right now and get some flowers for Saturday, again...It is so wonderful to have 'fresh' flowers in my house....And as you all probably know by now from my posts about my garden, Cactus Flowers last such a short time there is no way one can cut them and keep them...

Okay, back to the party! Here are Danny Miller and his wife Kendall Hailey with Kendall's Mom standing with her back to us, all out on the deck, talking. I love that we can see that wonderful mountain right behind them. BTW: Kendall and Danny are the people who started me blogging....And Danny is one of the most interesting men around.And, he has a wonderful blog called "Jew Eat Yet?". (It used to be called "Andy Hardy Writes A Blog")....Danny is a wonderful writer and if you haven't visited him, do...He has a very very interesting review of the latest "Superman" incarnation in his next to most recent post.

Here, just below, is Betsy Hailey (Kendall's Mom) from the front! She is sitting talking with the very dear Katy Melody, (on the left) married to Andy Parks who took this photograph. Betsy wrote a wonderful novel a number of years ago called "A Woman Of Indepedent Means". It was a very inovative book at the time and was extremely successful. It was in the form of letters and covered the span of one woman's lifetime...it was based on her Grandmother's life. Betsy, by the way, has written a number of other books as well. Check it out at Amazon.com. And daughter Kendall is a published author as well. (Click over her name in that first paragraph where I mention her and it will take you to a place where you can read a lot more about the lovely Kendall...and just above here the link on her first name will take you to her book at Amazon ).

The wonderful Welchs'---the extremely talented couple--Ken & Mitzie Welch. (Kenny wrote my first nightclub act back in 1954-55) who I have written about before---the Mother/Daughter/Grandmother series were here and in this photo they are talking to the beautiful Lee Meriwether... Mitzie, Lee and Kenny...I know it must seem like everyone in show business knows everyone else...well, sometimes it feels that way, too, and truthfully, there is a lot of 'six degrees of separation' if you have been around for a long time, as many of the people who were here at the party, have. Mitzie Welch is the person who said to me back when we were both 29 years old, "You know it's all over Nay, when we turn Thirty"! (lol) Oh how wrong she was....and every time we have our Birthdays, (hers is almost the end of July) we remind each other of her statement which btw, she really believed at the time. I've known Kenny for almost 53 years and Mitz I met when Kenny met her a few years later! And Lee...well, I joined Theatre West in the fall of 1962 and that's when I met Lee and Betty G., too. It's fun to remember that Lee understudied Betty & Joyce Van P. and me, when we did "Spoon River" at The Theatre Group at UCLA and she would have gone to New York and Broadway with us but for the fact that she was pregnant with her first daughter, Kyle.

Let's see...here is a photogrph of my pal Earl Holliman and another very dear man in the foreground, Craig Curtis. I met Earl at Theatre West, too...that was around 1964, and we became good good friends and I'm happy to say we still are after all these years. During the years of the television show "Police Woman" in which Earl co-starred with Angie Dickenson (and FYI the first season is out on DVD now), I was cast in a very small part in one episode in I think the 2nd season...not really sure of that....I was a Bank Manager and my little scene was with Earl and Angie D. There had been a robbery in the bank that I managed and I had seen the robbers. One of my lines was in response to Earl's character asking me had I seen what the thieves looked like...And my line was; "No, I didn't, because they all wore Gas Masks!"....for all these years...this line has become a catch phrase between us....every so often he or I will say..."...and they all wore gas masks..."....A memorable line if ever there was one...(lol).

More will be forthcoming on the morrow....









38 Comments:
had this to say:

Great photo's Naomi!! You look wonderful!!!!!! And so does everyone else!

About non drinkers.. I think as we age we finally realize we don't need "aid" to enjoy ourselves or our friends.

Those flowers are really gorgeous. Sorry I don't know the "mystery flower" for you.

I'm glad Dan got you blogging! I already read his blog too!

Isn't it just wonderful having friends together like that?!..makes you want to have more then one birthday a year hahaa.. wait.. nope, I wouldn't want more then one of those a year! haha

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 5:13:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow!!! That's all I can say to describe you, the flowers and your beautiful house.

Take Care. God Bless.

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 5:30:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi....I love those flowers. They're so lovely. They're as lovely as you are in that picture.

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 5:32:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Those flowers were breathtaking...one of the prettiest arrangements I've seen. How wonderful your rose is staying with you.

The party looks like so much fun. You are beautiful, and certainly not heavy. Sometimes I think we women are too hard on ourselves! I loved your picture. And Lee M...still so pretty after all these years. How nice of you to share.

Funny how many "recovering" folks are out there....nice to see you guys had a great time sober, just enjoying each others company!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 5:51:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The big bluish puffball with the beige splotches is a hydrangea, which grows all over New England as an ornimental shrub. Depending on your soil the flowers can be pink, blue, white, or purple.

The big pink flowers are peonies.

The Allium is a member of the onion family and grows like a big tall stalk with the big puff of purple atop it.

These are MY kinda flowers!

The party looks fabulous. Nice to see a pick of Dan, as I read his blog often, thanks to you. I think Jew Eat is a great read.

My b'da is next Tuesday, but it won't be anything like yours. I'm more the quiet retiring type.

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 6:41:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Oh MY goodness...SO much to comment on!
You look stunning, Naomi. Now that's what I call growing older elegantly. Gosh, you look great.
I used to read "Andy Hardy's" blog and enjoyed it so much and wondered where he went.
And Betsy's book....I have it, I read it years ago and I LOVED it.
Those flowers were spectacular! I can understand why you're enjoying them so much.
I guess I'm "star struck"...Lee Meriweather and so many other notable names. Yup...you sure do travel in very trendy circles. What great friends you have and what a great party this was. And thanks for letting all of us enjoy it right along with you.
Oh...and your view....wow, talk about breathtaking!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 6:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

the flowers are beauitful... i would seek out my mother for names of each blossom... shes amazing at that stuff.

she still cant make her blogger work though. as soon as we get it up and running again, we surely will elt you know.

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 8:52:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

I recognized the roses, hydrangeas, and peonies. Gorgeous.

It's a shame that it takes people so long to realize that true enjoyment comes when you can just be yourself around friends, without the dulling effects of alcohol. So much pain could be avoided if the young ones could learn earlier.

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 9:29:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You look party fabulous Naomi! And also lovely pictures as usual. Especially those pictures of flowers are absolutely gorgeous!!

Your bday party was such a blast!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 9:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How beautiful! I don't know the name of that flower but man are they gorgeous!

It is so wonderful you have had some friends that you have known for that long. I hope some of my friendships can survive that!

You are beautiful and I can't wait to see more pictures

:)

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 10:03:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wonderful shots. The flower arrangement was amazing, and I loved those mystery flowers, especially the allium.

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 10:35:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Thanks for your nice comments, Naomi. We had such a great time at your bash, evident in the fact that you practically had to dynamite us out of your home to get us to leave! What fun to hear stories of Betty's grandparents on the farm, Seemah doing a play with her husband when she was 9 months pregnant, David Galligan's encounters with Olivia de Havilland and Bette Davis, etc. Enjoyed meeting the Franks and loved hanging out with the Parks and their daughter who reminded me a lot of my own. And of course I could listen to your stories for hours, Naomi. What a fun afternoon and that cake...OY!

By the way, I meant to tell the stunning Lee Meriwether how incredibly moved I was by her performance in the "Spoon River" revival a few years ago, she was amazing. I always liked her but she didn't exactly get to exercise the same acting chops in "The Time Tunnel," one of my favorite 1960s TV shows. Sitting at the control panel as James Darren and Robert Colbert traveled through time, her role mostly consisted of lines like "Tony! Doug! Can you hear me?"

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 10:43:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You look fabulous! And the flowers are beautiful :)

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 11:20:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those flowers were absolutely gorgeous and your pics of them are fabulous. It is so nice that you were able to have so many people who are special to you with you to help you celebrate. BTW I love visiting so I would like to link to your blog. I just hope blogger co-operates! :-)

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 11:23:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You look wonderful! Who needs flowers when you are in the room! Looks like a wonderful time!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 11:26:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

It's always amazing to see all the talented amazing people you are able to surround yourself with! Kudos!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 12:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love the flowers, such a unique combination. And I'm so glad you included a picture of yourself. You know, my mom turned 75 last year, and we've been trying to get her to gain weight. Weight is a good thing. :) You look lively and healthy and have clearly aged gracefully, Naomi! :) Thanks for sharing your party photos. What fun.

~S

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 2:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, you look wonderful, and I can only hope to look half as good when I turn 75.

The larger, feathery purple flower is trachellium ceruleum. The smaller one looks like something we call "bee balm" but I only know it to be cerise/hot pink, so I am not sure what that is. The flowers are lovely, though, and if they are still that fresh after 5 days -keep that florist handy!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 3:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Looks like so much fun, and interesting friends, I bet they are a lot of fun.

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 4:37:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi you look fabulous! Thank you for sharing all the wonderful party pictures. The flower arrangement was beautiful. It was nice to hear about your dear friends. Thank you for sharing.
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) meow hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one
*

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 5:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You look absolutely lovely Naomi! Wonderful party and wonderful pictures. I love the flower arranagement too. There is something special about fresh flowers!

Looking forward to the next part!!!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 6:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a wonderful picture of the Birthday Girl! And your flowers are just beautiful. I adore having fresh flowers in my house too, I feel like going outside and bringing back a whole bunch now, you have inspired me!

I always love reading your posts, you have a really fresh, candid writing style, and it's a pleasure to read!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 6:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Okay-I have to say that less than two hours ago my husband and I were standing in Best Buy looking at the first season of Police Woman on DVD--no kidding!!

Those flowers were incredible!!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 8:51:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The flowers are spectacular, your home is gorgeous, your guests are fantastic, but it's YOU that steals the show.

Heavy? I don't think so, dear Naomi. If you want to see what heavy is, come visit me.

In fact, come visit me anyway. I'd love to have you.

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 9:23:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

You are a beautiful woman, looking great!!! The floral arrangement is gorgeous! I agree with Kenju, keep that florist, they are great!

Beautiful pictures as always my friend!! Your birthday bash looked wonderful!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 11:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW, you look beautiful and so happy. So nice to actually see a picture of you. You actually remind me of my mother a bit, and some like my husband's grandmother.

I HOPE YOU HAD A ROCKING TIME!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 11:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I'm back via Michele (and to answer your question--we leave next Wednesday morning and are going to Birmingham, Alabama)

BTW-I think that you look great in that picture!

Thursday, July 6, 2006 at 11:15:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

You look splendid! the flowers are awsome, wonderful close-ups (I do want a better digital cam myself!!!)Nice guests, nice stories, I will visit your blog friend- what fun. I am surprised about that tiny alcohol consumption, but it shows people were having fun just talking to each other and sharing that great food too. More, more!!!

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 12:34:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

First, you look fantastic! And 2nd, be still my heart! I've always had a crush on Mr. Holliman and he still looks great. You tell him he still makes this 43 yr. old woman tingle. Or heck, I'll just come to your house and meet him and tell him myself! LOL. It sure looks like it was a wonderful day. I would have loved to have been a fly on your wall!

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 1:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Good morning, Naomi! Michele sent me back this time. Tell your guy that allium and trachellium are two different things. I'll have to check and see if they are in the same family, though. Allium is a big (3 to 4" diameter) "ball" of tiny florets and the color is usually deep rose to purple, but not as dark as trachellium, which is also tiny florets, but sort of flattish, as compared to allium. Allium is in the onion family; it also comes in smaller "balls" of about 1 to 1 1/2" diameter, and in white or lavender.

I'll see if I can find a good photo of it to send to you. Have a great day!

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 3:42:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Just great photos, Naomi!
Wow, you look beautiful and so younger! Please, tell me your secret!!
What a great party! Sounds you all had a joyful time. The flower arrangement is just beautiful! And the view to the mountain from the deck is gorgeous!
I am looking forward to the “The party – Part 3”.

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 7:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Me again, Naomi.
Thanks for the nice words about my place. I love also this lonely beach, it's really very paceful.
You can see photos of the rainfall in Summer, on "Glance-Olhar":http://glance-olhar.blogspot.com/
Have a nice day!

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 12:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thank you dear Naomi for the lovely words about my photos on Glance-Olhar. I’ve lived in 3 places. I was born and lived in São Paulo till 1984. In 1984 we moved to Campinas City, (near São Paulo about 1 hour) and we stayed there for only 2 years. In 1986, back again to São Paulo. Since 1998 I have been living in country, in a joint ownership, which name is Enseada Azul (means in English Blue Inlet) surrounded by the beautiful Jurumirim's dam.
My daughter and my son live in a little city named Holambra, near us about 20 minutes. I love this proximity because we are very close.

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 2:28:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi, tried to get over here earlier but I am still reeling over the Emmy nominations list ACH !!
The flowers are spectacular what a gorgeous display. Add me to the list of friends who don't drink.
I have not been over to Dan's blog in awhile I will have to make some time later today. Right now I have to head out to give final approval to my husbands choice of clothing for August. Apparently he found a nice Pierre Cardin suit on sale. Typical the FIRST store he went to and the first thing he tried on. As for me OY lol.

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 2:41:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Opps just wanted to add you look fantastic and you are not big either !!

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 2:42:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

lovely photos!

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 3:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am loving all the birthday party photos! And you look FANTASTIC, my dear!!!

I wish the people around HERE were non-drinkers. When I'm invited over to the parents' houses of my son's friends, I'm always looked at like I have six heads when I decline the second drink. Hell, I had one dad offer me a drink when I was simply dropping my kid off and getting right back into the car (at NOON). Ugh.

Sunday, July 9, 2006 at 12:13:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What great pics, Naomi. You look great! :) I'm trying to catch up (since I haven't been around much) and there's so much to see. Thanks for sharing, and all the stories that go with them.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006 at 11:53:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.