Friday, July 07, 2006
the party - party 3

These arrived today and they are from a good friend and his partner who were unable to come to the party, due to illness...in fact he had to go back into the hospital on July 4th! He sent these flowers from his hospital bed and they are from another 'Primo' flower place, here in Los Angeles...in fact I used to use them myself till February of this year. These are absolutely gorgeous....(the color of the yellow is not accurate in this photograph...too dark....but, anyway)...it is all roses and a stunning combination of colors...as you can see. But, intertestingly enough...on close inspection with the camera these flowers are not as fresh as that other arrangement...Here is a closer look and you can see that there is already deterioration...it will be interesting to see how long this arrangement lasts as compared to that other one...But right now? It is really beautiful to look at!
So, continuing on with the party journey, if blogger will allow me to upload my pictures. (Grrr, it has been giving me a hard time...and that's why this post wasn't up this morning)...More old friends arrived...Here are Ron and Iva Rifkin...a darling sweet couple if ever there was one (this photo by Andy Parks)....I first met them around 1967, I think...we met at mutual friends who lived in Trancas at that time..(that is out in the Malibu area...) Ron was a struggling but working actor at that time and Iva had been a dancer...They had a charming apartment in Beverly Hills and both loved beautiful things...they collected all sorts of lovely china and antiques. And they both loved to Needlepoint...more about that later... Ronnie's career is one of the great show business story's...talk about a "comeback"...He had done a lot in the business...but somehow Television and Films just didn't seem to "get" him. He worked a great deal in tv, but it was in the theatre where his career seemed to soar. He starred in some very wonderful plays and then, it seemed as if his career was at a standstill. He and Iva started there own business completely away from 'the business of show' and were very very successful with it. They sold there very beautiful home and moved back to New York, where they were both from originally, and Ronnie continued to do plays when he could. A very talented young writer named Jon Robin Baitz wrote a wonderful play, "Substance Of Fire" with a part specifically for Ron. It was a huge success and it was then made into a film...Then Ron was featured in the fantastic revival of "Cabaret" on Broadway in 1998 and won the highest Theatre Honor there is...The Tony Award.He did a lot of films after that...this brilliantly talented man was definitely having a great great second act, as they say...then came "Alias", and playing that evil/nice character of Arvin Sloane...And in the fall his new series will be coming on the air, "Brothers & Sisters". Back in the 70's I rented a house in Hawaii and I was there for 14 weeks...lots of people came and visited, staying a week at a time...Ronnie was one of those people...and we had a glorious and memorable time with lots of photographs that he has, but which I promised him I would not post on this blog when he sends them to me since everyone was, shall we say...in the All-Together, if you get my drift....

As people arrived here I tried to take as many pictures as possible, but I didn't really get everyone, though I think I did pretty well...Here is Milo Mandel, a very dear and terrific man...Betty's Lawyer/Manager, taking over where his father left off when he died...talk about having a long relationship with someone...The Mandel Family and The Parks Family have been intertwined in a personal and professional way since Betty first began her career. Here is Milo with the darling Andy Parks, Betty's younger son. And here's Andy, and Maddie Clair Parks, And Maddies Daddy, Garrett Parks and Isabel Mandel, Milo's very dear sweet beautiful wife. When I was still able to be 'out in the world', I would always go to The Mandel's for Thanksgiving. Isabel is a fantastic cook. They have four beautiful daughters and something like 10 grandchildren. And Christmas has always been spent at The Parks House, so I have known The Mandel's since 1962...

Meanwhile, back inside in the living room, people were gathering around the glass table and having a good old time eating some of the goodies on same. And in this case, sitting in the living room... Here is the wonderful Shawn Flannigan with whom we all work on The S.T.A.G.E. Benefit. Shawn is our Event Co-Ordinator and I don't know how we would do this Benefit without him. He covers so very many bases and helps each one of the Executive Committee members in such a way that we all would be lost without him. And his job is not an easy one since we are a pretty dysfunctional group! (lol). He really is one of my newer friends. I've only known him about 15 years!
In the foreground is my dear buddy John Kusmiss, and on the couch are Dianne Travis and Jacguie Scott, with just a little bit of Charley Berliner showing behind that lamp as he is standing behind this group...And that knee to the left there in the foreground belongs to Craig Curtis, mentioned earlier....The Brie on the table is one of the yummiest wonders of the food world. There are apricots in there and then it is warmed up and is like Ambrosia! Very very dangerous stuff, let me tell you. And another shot of this group...Jacquie and John in the foreground and Charley B. with Jacquie's husband Gene Lesser standing behind. Do you frog lovers see the Flying Frog hanging in the upper right corner? He is supposed to be protecting me and my home from all things bad, and creating a peaceful atmosphere...it was sent to me by a very good friend many years ago. And one more shot of these two fabulous ladies on the couch, both consumate actresses...Dianne & Jacquie. Dear Dianne was at the wonderful Thai Birthday Dinner on the 27th of June here in my house, and she brought the BEST BEST Coffee ice cream....Hagen Dazs....is there any other?

Here is a very sweet picture of Garrett Parks with his amazing 10 year old daughter, Maddie....Betty G.'s Grandaughter....She is an incredibly bright, funny and talented girl who looks much older than her years...Well for one, she is very very tall, and she had on small heels that day, too...but just look how tall she is next to her daddy? People were starting to gather around the table for the cutting of the cake...So of course, there some candles that were lit and people sang Happy Birthday which is always a must...! And as you can see, we had a fabulous Strawberry Cake, too, for those that either cannot eat chocolate or who like a bit of variety in their desserts...These two cakes were just wonderful, beyond words! And here is a close-up of the cake with the lit candles, just before I blew them out...

More will be forthcoming, my dears....(If Blogger co-operates! lol)











31 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What an amazing crowd of people you had there...what fun! :)

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 5:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow it seems to be a smashing party. Happy Day, I luv your house great views.
Have a great weekend from Michelle and me.

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 5:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

My eyes bugged out at this post. I adore Ron Rifkin. You can let him know I've been a fan forever and use his tv movie, Flowers for Algernon, in my class each year. He's terrific.

Naomi...your stories never cease to amaze me.

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 6:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

If Blogger doesn't cooperate, let me know. I'll have a few choice words for the cantankerous chunk of code. Nothing stands between us and your blog entries.

As I read your vivid account and take in the pictures, I feel as if I was there. You do reportage better than anyone I know. That frog is clearly doing his (her?) job. And justifiably so, since you have so many stories that we need to hear.

Thanks for reaffirming that journaling and storytelling are as important now as they've ever been.

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 6:06:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Here from Michele this time.

Is that little girl Karen Culliver's daughter? My brother will be interested in knowing how she is doing.

I don't think I've ever seen green roses before.

Fabulous party.

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 6:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh wow Naomi!! Such great pictures and I felt like I was there too. The flowers are so pretty. The food looks so delicious (making me hungry)! That cake really sparkles with the lit candles. Oh, I bet it was good!!

Maddie is so pretty and does look much older than 10.

Thanks for sharing this all dear Naomi! I look forward to reading more!!

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 7:19:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I am so glad you were finally able to kick blogger into gear and get more pics posted :)
Isn't it annoying when it doesn't work, I said a few choice words myself the other day when it was not cooperating.
What a delightful day you had, well WEEK really.
Great friends, good food and a flying frog what more could a girl ask for.

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 8:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi it's a great pleasure reading about your guest and to see all them congregated in your Birthday’s Party. What an amazing group of friends you have, Naomi! I click on each photo for an enlarged version, so I could see and enjoyed the minimum details of the Party. Truly, what a beautiful and joyful Birthday! I am also enchanted with the beauty and charm of your house! Moreover, the meal looks great and these two cakes look really delicious…yummy! Definitely looking forward to see more photos and reading more about this amazing Party.
Have a good weekend!

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 9:18:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Thai Birthday Dinner on the 27th of June

we had a birthday party at our house that day as well!

Friday, July 7, 2006 at 11:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those roses are beautiful. I don't think I have ever seen green ones like that before.

Oh, it is so wonderful reading this :) I sat here with IMDB open and put in peoples names to see what I have seen them in :)

Looking forward to reading more. Stopping by tonight though, via Michele to say Hello!

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 12:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Well, I got all caught up, and I enjoyed every word!
The flowers were indeed gorgeous, and I agree that the first bouquet was amazing in how fresh it looked after five days. The roses were also lovely.
I'm sure Kenju appreciated those beautiful arrangements since she herself in in the floral business.
You looked lovely!
I know you mentioned that you are heavier than you'd like to be, but I think we all have those pesky imperfect areas of ourselves that we have to deal with. I think you looked wonderful, and you don't need to worry about a few extra pounds.
With all that fabulous food around, I wouldn't have been able to resist trying just about everything over the course of the party. I would have made sure I wore an elastic waistband or an adjustable belt.
It is wonderful that you know so many actors and people in the entertainment world.
I think it is even MORE impressive that you have made such long lasting friendships over the years. It speaks highly of you and of them.
My brother lives in South Pasadena and is a pianist and a high school music teacher. He often does studio recordings and plays for a variety of events in the L.A area as well as across the US and Canada.
If you ever need a pianist for a party in your home, let me know. He played for rehearsals for Disneyland events for several years. He can sight read ANY piece of music. He is truly fabulous!
I look forward to reading what you post next. I hope
Blogger gives you a break!!

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 1:26:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Beautiful bouquet of flowers Naomi and also tons of guests! Amazing! Btw, if you have problems uploading pictures on blogger I suggest to get an account with www.photobucket.com Take care always!

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 2:23:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Wonderful post, beautiful roses and charming people, love your stories and can read them over and over again! thanks for sharing your bday party :)

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 2:58:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

great post Naomi!
I know you mentioned Andy Parks taking some of the photo's for you.. I sure hope he took most of them, otherwise you wouldn't have had two hands left to eat that wonderful food! lol

and the flowers keep coming!! well you said you wanted more fresh flowers! That was one day you didn't have to send for any! (I hope your friend in the hospital gets better soon!)

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 4:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The fun goes on and on, Naomi, for you and for us! How privileged we are to be a part of your party and your home (no matter how far removed).

Please bequeath that flying frog to me when you pass on, okay? I covet that frog muchly!

The flowers are lovely; it appears that the florist didn't remove the "guard" petals from the roses, and that may be why they look distressed already. The jade roses look wonderful in there. SRP said she had not seen green roses, but they are all the rage this year, and popular for many weddings.

Please tell Ron Rifkin that the first season of Alias found me glued to the TV every week, partly because the star (Garner) is from my home town. I loved that show and Ron was supurb in it. After the Sopranos came back to HBO, I switched my allegiances, but I fully intend to rent the other episodes and watch them all. It is such as exciting show!

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 5:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, what a great party. So glad you were able to post pictures. You are totally gorgeous girlfriend. Looks like you outshined them all. Sounds like a great time and I am so glad you were properly adored.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 6:10:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

OH, I SO enjoyed reading all of this and seeing the photos....and some of those photos meant even more to me, because of Betty's book which I'm reading.
Gosh, in the book the photo of Maddie Claire was when she was just a baby! What a beautiful little girl. And the lawyer, Milo....he's the son. I've read a lot about his dad in the book. The book is terrific, by the way. I'm enjoying it SO much. Please pass my words on to Betty.
Such a great party, Naomi. It's so much fun to be able to share it here with you.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 6:49:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Terrific post as usual. I love that rose bouquet.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 7:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

It seems like you had such a wonderful time, and so many friends to celebtate with too! Your photos certainly capture what seems to have been a wonderfully convivial, relaxed and friendly celebration. Thank you for sharing this with us.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 8:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

As a new reader to your site and one who came over just to wish you a "Happy Birthday" at the first of your celebration.
My life is being blessed daily as you share with us here. You have shown me that there are many things I can still do and should do. Just allowing me to enjoy your life with you has been part of what has woken me up to the fact my dreams can live on and should.
You are a lady that seems to never give up but to keep on enjoying letting little if any obstacle in your way.
You have made friends that have been in your life and remained a very large part of it for so may years, this is what I want and what I will have. Now before it is too late I must make this happen. Thank you Naomifor sharing and being such a dear one.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 10:44:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those are so beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen green roses. Is that color real? You're so lucky to have such great and loving friends. I've never ever had a party like that. It's almost overwhelming to see so many people all there for YOU! Just amazing.

Here from Michele today, but I've been reading you daily on bloglines.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 10:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, and that frog. It's an indonesian protector. I have something similar flying over my office that a friend brought me back from Jakarta.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 10:53:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What fun! That looks like a really cracking party you had. :) (Love the flower arrangements too!)

Hello from Michele's!

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 11:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love the pale green flowers in the bouquet. :)
~S

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 2:10:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh my gosh! Roses looked absolutely stunning. They may not look very yellow as you had mentioned but it still looks wonderful. Is that you in yellow long sleeves shirt? You're beautiful and you don't look your age.

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 7:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, you asked me about bloglines. Your blog is listed there, and I linked to it and read it (and my whole blogroll) from there. Bloglines tells you when people have updated their blogs, so you can go down your blogroll and see every new post without going back and forth from your blog to the blog that may or may not have been updated. You should try it. It's a HUGE timesaver and so much easier on the wrists!

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 8:11:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Dearest Naomi - finally caught up - love your pictures, froggy, balloons and yummy food - what a wonderful party for a beautiful lady. It is a gift to have such long-time friendships and of course to have those long, caring relationships is proof of what an amazing and loving woman you are - so, our birthdays are over for this year - whew, we made it. Love and hugs, Suzann

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 8:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What beautiful pictures of you fabulous party! I am really enjoying seeing and hearing about your beautiful friends. The roses were pretty.
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) meow hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one
*

Saturday, July 8, 2006 at 8:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great hostess you are having two cake options!

Michele sent me today.

Sunday, July 9, 2006 at 1:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

First off....LOVE the flowers!!! Yellow roses, need I say more?! :) Beautiful arrangment!!!

I knew I Ron Rifkin, when I saw his picture, he just looked different from his character on Alias! LOL Very talented man!

I'm enjoying these party posts! You sure did have a blow out didn't you? You deserve it, girlfriend!

Sunday, July 9, 2006 at 2:29:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The Mandels run some of the worst kept apartment buildings in West Los Angeles, repeatedly cited by the County health department for vermin infestation and lack of hot water. They rent principally to Latino immigrants who do not complain.

Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 2:03:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.