Friday, July 14, 2006
VOILA!

There it is! One of the Night Bloomers, the first of this summer...this was taken last night...and I'm going to post a few more right here and now.... These were the two that looked like birds, remember? I just find these flowers so incredibly magical. To go from that little bit of whispy fuzz, to this in a little over two months is pretty extrordinary. How did nature devise this? Why? Where? In a way, I like not understanding any of it, you know? I so love that it "happens" though...I mean... ...from this above, to this below....I mean, there it is...the true magic of nature! And these will open tonight...July 14th...

Back to those first-of-the-season-flowers-that-opened-last-night-and-are now-closed.....And so here's another shot of those two sweethearts...the twins...the 'birds' as some people have said.......wide open, exquisite in the night time silence...they speak volumes if you just stand still and look and listen....they bring such amazing beauty to the night, these glorious magical flowers....

And then, twelve or so hours later...their song is over for another year... Completely closed up, and in less then a week, they will dry up completely and fall off the plant and drop to the ground and there will be no eveidence what so ever, that they were there at all---or had bloomed at all, except in your memory and in the magic of photographs....

Here's a side view of those twins...it's like they are singing a fabulous duet...that gorgeous heartbreak song from the Broadway Musical "Secret Garden" called..."Come To My Garden"....I want to say ...'Yes, Yes...I'll come to your garden, anytime....' I love that those outer leaves that were acting as protection for the flower, are now wide open...even more than the flower itself...it is such a welcoming look, you know? It's like they have spread their arms and are saying...'Welcome, Welcome, do come into my world'....Beautiful....

And then there is this one that was sort of hiding behind the lamp post, now peeking out and also saying, 'Welcome'.... And then another 'Welcome', here below.... So, all together there were six flowers that opened at the same time last night...Tonight, there will be two more...and here they are, again...a few hours later than the photo above.... This is how much more they have opened at approximately 2:00pm, on their way to being completely open tonight....And, I just happened to see this litle guy very happily navigating this plant.... And by the way...he really seems to like those little fuzz balls! I watched him navigate over this one...my camera wouldn't take the picture! But....at least we can see him working his way towards it.... So....I will leave you with this thought. Right now, there are approximately 65 little fuzz balls in one stage of growth or another...all of them will grow and bloom....and I'll be documenting it as best I can...So, here is one more shot of one of the open flowers....


More Will Be Forthcoming....









27 Comments:
had this to say:

Oh what fun! I love those! :)

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 4:08:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

OOOH! Birds of Paradise, lotus blossoms floating fried eggs. I feel like I'm in the jungle... or on the moon looking at those exocticas!

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 4:10:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

So pretty! I love them!

(I know the song from The Secret Garden that you mentioned. What an interesting little piece of theatre that is. :))

Hello from Michele's!

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 4:13:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

These are absolutely gorgeous!!!! They must attract some sort of nocturnal insect or moth to polinate them. Imagine never seeing the light of day. Do they produce seed or a pod after they close and dry up? Absolutely lovely.

I was here earlier looking for these flowers, well worth the wait.

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 4:31:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

absolutely gorgeous Naomi!! I hope you didn't sit up all night waiting for them to bloom!!!

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 4:34:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Never really being around cacti too much, I'm surprised when I see such beautiful blooms on them. Lovely. :-)

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 5:01:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Very unusual!
Love those!
~S :)

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 5:09:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wow, those are amazing. And i love reading about your friends.

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 6:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Very lovely! I had one of those but let it die since I had to bring it inside and it got so huge! But the flower bloomed about 11 p.m. or so and was absolutely lovely, like yours. YOu could sit there and literally just watch it open up! Next morning, dead. Amazing. Your pictures are wonderful!!

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 7:45:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Do these beauties have a scent?

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 8:39:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I got home tonight and my plumeria tree, the one that I almost killed two years ago by watering during its dormant season? The one that's been working on flowers for a couple months now? One of its flowers popped open tonight!! I'm so thrilled. I showed my husband and I had to tell you, too! What a great start to the weekend! :)

Friday, July 14, 2006 at 10:54:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Hi Nay,
Those pictures are fabulous! I especially like the one with the little green guy! Say, they would make wonderful cards! hmmmm.
Love, Audrey

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 12:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

How amazing that they only show their faces one time!

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 6:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those flowers are extraordinary and your photographs of them are beautiful. Thanks for showing them to us.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 7:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Good morning Naomi!
Wow, those are amazing and absolutely gorgeous! Well done!

Have a good weekend!

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 7:45:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

They are beautiful!
I am so glad you caught them on camera...lovely
Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) meow hugs
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 8:03:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Amazing, gorgeous flowers :-). You're birthday bash went very well I see. :-)I'm so happy to see you were surrounded by so much love on that special day!!. You were in the thoughts of a lot of us out here in cyber land too. :-)
Have a Great Weekend and thanks for sharing your magical garden with us..

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 8:14:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi OOLOTH, here from Michele's this time. As you say:-

it is such a welcoming look, you know? It's like they have spread their arms and are saying...'Welcome, Welcome, do come into my world'

ie, insects please come and land on me and get covered with my pollen and distribute all around. Thank you!

Great pics as always.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 10:08:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Isn't this just extraordinary? and incredibly beautiful? thanks for such wonderful pics, again!

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 10:12:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I am truly mesmerized by all of this. I wasn't familiar with this cactus flower at all and to watch it unfold and burst forth as it has truly is a miracle.
I was sad to hear though that they ONLY last 12 hours?! Wow...such beauty for such a short time. I can't help thinking of it as symbolizing life....beautiful, but gone in a fleeting moment.
And you, Naomi, certainly know how to enjoy it all. Again, thanks for sharing all of this.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 2:46:00 PM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Cool! My cactii have little lavender buds right now, the flowers should bloom soon, but they're nowhere near as magnificent as these. I like the mystery of it all too.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 at 5:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Gosh! What a beautiful flower. I am really amazed at how you are able to capture them very well.

Have a nice weekend!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 1:50:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

Happy sunday! come to my party :)

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 2:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh how beautiful! I have only heard of them until now. It is to bad they only bloom one night a year. But, I guess it gives you something to look forward too :) Thanks for posting them.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 11:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

They are magnificent, Naomi! Thanks so much for posting the photos.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 at 10:21:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Well, I must admit, I saw the 'fuzz' photos in your other post the other day, and I thought - it's just fuzz - how good can they be? In a word: WOW! They are absolutely so pretty!!! Thank you so much for sharing! I've never seen these before.

Monday, July 17, 2006 at 2:11:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I was looking forward to coming back and seeing the nightbloomers!! and they are stunning. Just magic. Thanks for sharing your love of them, a treat!

Sunday, July 23, 2006 at 2:01:00 AM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.