Wednesday, August 02, 2006
my hippo, etc.

A Perfect Post
Mysterious Lady named one of my posts A Perfect Post for July. I thank you dear ML with all my heart and want you to know I dearly appreciate this more than I can say. If any of you want to read that particular post, click on the Perfect Post Icon at the top.
Enjoy!



Moving right along....
When we did the Tour Of Homes post, I showed a photo of my little Electric Baby Baby Baby Grand Piano and on top of it, among many other things you could see this very delightful and dear person!
My Hippo. And as you can see here in this picture he is with a few of his friends. On his left is "Babe" or a sweet pig that kind of looks like 'Babe', and a little piggy right near 'Babe' that is rather old, I think, and is bursting with milk for her many babies. In front of My Hippo, on the left, are a pair of little tiny Hippo's made of wood and this is a Netsuke. (pronounced Net-skee and I have a small collecton of these wonderful little art pieces). And next to those dear little guys is a Sleeping Mouse. He is a bronze little sweetheart and was sculpted by the same artist who created My Hippo!

When I was in London in 1993 for that most memorable of trips that I blogged about some time ago....one of the places I went was to The Old Vic Theatre. Charley Berliner and I went to see a play there---a matinee---on one of our free afternoons...(I do not remember what we saw that day...). We were quite early getting to the theatre because we had no idea how long it would take us to get there, this historic theatre being on the South Bank. So, being early we had quite a bit of time before the play was to begin. So we looked around and there across the street, sort of, was an Art Gallery. The Llewellyn Alexander Gallery. So off we went, not having any idea what we were walking into or how wonderful or terrible it might be. It was just something to do to pass the time, you know?

Well, it turned out to be a treasure trove. As I walked in, there on a table close to the front door was My Hippo. It was love at first sight. I could not take my hands off of him/her....I just kept petting this wonderfully dear sleeping person, who actually looked like he or she had a smile on his/her face...!

See what I mean? Now, doesn't that look like a contented smile to you? Like he/she is having a lovely dream or just enjoying everyone coming over and petting him...! I looked around the gallery quite a bit but kept coming back to him...He is made of some kind of resin or something like that....he is very very heavy. At first I thought he was bronze because the Patina was so exquisite as you can see, but they told me that he was not bronze and that is why the price was not totally outrageous. I knew he was mine. My Credit Card was whipped out in a flash before anyone else in the place could possibly steal him away from me. The madness of 'The Collector' taking over my whole entire body, the way that happens---it's a real addiction. This wonderful gallery had many other beautiful fabulous things...among them were a lot of 'miniatures'. I had never seen anything like these beautiful small paintings before. Expertly painted little perfect still life's or cats and landscapes...and very very small...no bigger than 3 inches by 4 inches at most, and some smaller than that as well. I fell in love with one of these miniatures, too.This post box just "spoke" to me. You can't really tell from this photo, but the detail in this little tiny painting is quite extrordinary....I absolutely loved the post boxes that I saw in England....and to find this little painting of one that I could possibly buy and take home with me was, to me, a sweet little treasure.


This next miniature also amazed me. It, too has extrordinary detail as well as capturing the dearness of the felines we know and love. I just love this very dear kitty...He kind of looks like a combination of my dear Sugar and Sugar's nephew, Teeny. So, I ended up buying these three pieces on that trip to England and have never regretted doing this for one moment. And, that My Hippo arrived safe and sound and unbroken was surely rather miraculous, considering it had to travel 6000 miles to it's new home. Here is another view of this very pettable person. I mean...you just want to stroke him, you know? He feels so wonderful and even though this material that he is made of is hard...he really gives you the sense that he is soft. He makes me smile every time I see him and I cannot go by him without petting him! Go Figure.


Fourteen months later, when I was in London once again, Llewellyn-Alexander was an absolute 'must stop'. And that's when I found this dear little sleeping mouse which was created by the same artist that did My Hippo. I thought it only appropriate that they should be napping right near one another...so here they are. I haven't been back to London since then, but I have certainly been in touch with that gallery. Do go to their website....(pass your cursor over their name at the top of this post and click...) They have a great many pages devoted to their miniatures...and they have a special show of these miniatures every spring of every year...




More To Come.....







34 Comments:
had this to say:

Naomi, you better not ever let me into your house! My inner-kleptomaniac would certainly come out of hiding, and take among other things, your hippo, your mouse, your pig and your flying frog!!! They are wonderful and I am trying not to be envious.

Re your comment on my post: a similar thing happened to me 3 times in childhood, and it is horribly scary to a child. I know just what you mean. It happened to my older daughter too, and all she could say was "Why me, Mommy, why me?" I hope all past and future exhibitionists can be caught and given rehab - though I understand that re-hab seldom works with those people.

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 4:15:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Well... first I went and read your Perfect Post ... and you must have just been heartbroken to see that magnificent plant come down! I would have had to agree with ML on that one! I thoroughly enjoyed it!

But MORE than that one, I enjoyed your Hippo! And had I been in that gallery I think we might have been fighting over him!!! He is absolutely ADORABLE and just the kind of thing I treasure! I love that little mouse too! Wonderful wonderful!!! Can't wait to see more of your treasures!

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 6:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love this post Naomi! I love your hippo from the first sight. Lovely also those "Netsuke". The sleeping mouse is lovely, too. Thanks for the link. At the International Netsuke Society I can see anothers fantastic pieces.

I would love to know more about another piece of art, the walldress-figure on the wall, behind the Baby Grand piano. You told me that this piece was done by an Artist named SAR, but I don't found this artist at Google.

I am looking forward to anothers histories and photos!

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 6:46:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

i can relate so well, naomi. a lot of times, i come across something which i just have to buy and eventually turns out to be the core of one of my collections. it's madness of a wonderful kind, don't you think? ;)

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 7:33:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Fun view into your house and life. Really like the sleeping mouse.

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 7:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love your hippo. I would totally pet him on a daily basis.

I read your post for your reward and it is always sad to say goodbye to a plant friend. I am sure he is missed. I have a mexican flame that I love.

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 7:50:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hi Naomi, me again.
I am so glad for you!Congratulations for "A Perfect Post for July." Really it was a great post!

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 8:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Awww, I love your Hippo and sleeping mousie! lol... what, no names for them????

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 8:21:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

While the hippo is indeed precious (I can't help but want to nap when I look at him/her), I am most fond of the cat image. So sweet and gentle...like me.

Or at least how I'd like to be!

Wendy sent me, but I see you also participate in my friend Diva Kitty's Secret Paws! Nice to make your acquaintance!

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 8:22:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

The memories we attach to things carry alot of emotional weight.

Which is probably why we always end up with more stuff than we need. :)

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 8:41:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

AW!!! That is a lovely hippo and the mouse is just adorable. My In-laws practically live in England now. When we go sometime soon for a visit I'll have to stop by this Gallery and take a look see or two around and maybe even find me a friend like yours :-).
Have A Wonderful Day!!!

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 8:52:00 AM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Trying to catch up today. We have been out and about and walking so much that my fingers were tired...wahahaha.
Really, these knees and ankles and feet can barely move today and with the 104 temp expected (without the heat index on top of that), I think staying in is the thing.

I love, love, love the hippo. Sleeping is perfect. I vote for him as best actor.

I must say that I enjoy Kyra Sedgwick and this new program a lot. She handles the drama well but the humor thrown in adds just the right touch.

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 9:37:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Hippo is a very large knick knack :) I'd probably have to pet him too :)

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 3:38:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What great taste! I would've had to have that hippo too! He is wonderful.

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 4:49:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Congratulations on the award!
Woooooohoooo!
I love the Hippo!

Have a wonderful day!
*^_^
(=':'=) huge huggles
(")_ (")Š from da Raggedy one

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 5:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

The Hippo looks like it was just made to be there!

Wednesday, August 2, 2006 at 9:03:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

WOW ok your house is my inner Jewish mothers dream! :)

So many chotchkies - it is like heaven in there!

I love the hippo :)

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 2:26:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

The Hippopotamus
by Ogden Nash
Behold the hippopotamus!
We laugh at how he looks to us,
And yet in moments dark and grim
I wonder how we look to him.
Peace, peace, thou hippopotamus!
We really look all right to us,
As you no doubt delight the eye
Of other hippopotami.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 3:10:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I think you have many perfect posts...!!! congrats anyways!

Your hippo is darling! first reaction was to stretch my arm towards the screen and see if I could pet it too, so cute, seems so soft and round! wonderful collection of pretty things, love seeing the pics, thanks! :)

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 3:25:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, the hippo and the mouse are both soooo exquisite!! They're just delightful. I love finding things like that, that just 'speak' to you. It's a wonderful experience.

And PS: congrats on your perfect post award! I loved reading that post, I really related to it.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 5:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

They are just all awesome. I do love small things around the house, like animals (dogs, cats, mouse, elephants, zebra, humanized wooden figures). They sometimes help you smile when you look at them. I also do love angels and have lots of them.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 5:40:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

You truly deserve the award. Congratulations!!!

The hippo is a unique figurine. Love how it looks together with his friends.

Happy Thursday!

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 6:24:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Congratulations on getting picked for "The Perfect Post for July."

I can definitely see why you are so fond of the hippo. He is sooo cute. My favorite is the miniature painting of the British postbox. I lived in England for three years, thanks to the USAF, and I love their postboxes. The design and color. I have a cross-stitch picture I must finish that I bought while living there. It's a hedgehog (which since living there is another of my favorites) dressed as a postman at one of their postboxes.

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 9:39:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

aw, that little sleeping mousie is the cutest thing ever! I love the hippo, too. What a great smile!

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 9:56:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Your hippo is indeed lovely! He does look so peaceful laying there snoozing! Love the other animals too, as well as the pictures!

That hippo is there holding down the Electric Baby, Baby, baby Grand Piano!

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 12:02:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Just stopping by to let you know casting call results are up ( and you did get a mention lol)

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 4:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Hello, I arrived here by way of Wendy Wings.. I am a fellow Kiwi.
I have been reading through your blog and I love the fact that you have surrounded yourself with music, theatre and art.
Thank you for sharing :)

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 7:30:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Those are all so cute. I do agree about the hippo, it looks like it would be soothing to pet him. Almost like a worry stone.
And of course, I love the pigs! I was wondering if that 1 isn't milk, but a pot bellied pig. If the tail is straight, it's a pot bellied. If it's curly, it's a mama piggy.
oink

Thursday, August 3, 2006 at 11:21:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

The Buddah of hippos, for sure!

Friday, August 4, 2006 at 8:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh, I love the hippo! How fun!
I love shops like that... hard to get me out of them. :)
Thank you for sharing that. What a great find.
~S

Friday, August 4, 2006 at 11:29:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I love the hippo and the mouse....too cute seeing them napping together! They are exactly the type of things that I love to find.

Friday, August 4, 2006 at 7:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Sometimes things just 'speak' to you. I know about that. I have a whole house full of things that once spoke to me. (Or either spoke to someone else that it was meant for me!) I love my what-nots and things, and don't even mind dusting them! :)

Saturday, August 5, 2006 at 9:18:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Congrats on being July Post of the Month! Way to go, Naomi!
LOVE your hippo and I can see why you wanted to give him (definitely looks like a "him" to me) a home.
And the minature of the cat...gosh, it almost looks like a photograph.
You certainly do have some lovely treasures, so thanks for sharing them with us.

Saturday, August 5, 2006 at 5:43:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

i absolutely loved this. What a great hippo. I have a favorite of my own that I've had for 36 years now:
http://www.artwanted.com/imageview.cfm?ID=334649&SubGal=Time

Saturday, August 5, 2006 at 8:03:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.