Tuesday, October 03, 2006
fan mail

On Saturday, I went over to Betty G.'s. for some fun and some fan mail! Betty gets a lot of fan mail! And she answers all of the letters, with the help of our mutual friend Dianne Travis. It is a big operation so everything needed is laid out on the dining room table and Dianne goes through each letter and underlines what each person wants...and, on Saturday, my job was to read the letters to Betty. Because of her Macular Degeneration she cannot really read very much at all anymore, unless it is HUGE Print... So here she is signing photo's that people have asked for and in some cases they have enclosed a photo, (as in the picture at the top) that they want her to sign for them and then return to them...many people enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope, but many people do not. So, after Dianne underlines the 'needs', she addresses a big envelope and puts a cardboard in it and then clips the letter and other things, (3 X 5 cards...which people want a signiture on...) to the envelope and then, on Saturday at least, she handed them to me to read to Betty... Above, is Dinne, with all the envelopes and the 'incoming letters'....they are very very organized, and part of the fun is ofcourse reading and talking about the letters and also there is quite a bit of traffic over at Betty's...her Grandaughter Maddie and her Daughter-In-Law Karen, were in and out of the dining room because Maddie was going to a Birthday Party and wanted her Grandma's advice on what card to give to her friend. It was a lot of fun to see both of them, too....And there was another little visitor...a four legged little person named Ruby. I got some adorable pictures of Ruby...and the one below was so cute I just had to share it with you all...Ruby loves Betty and loves to get up on her lap...and she will let Betty play with her ears...as you can see, below. Part of what was so interesting about doing the fan mail was noticing how 80% to 85% of these letters are from men. Young men, middle aged men, and old men! Betty said an interesting thing which is so very true...that at no other time in the history of entertainment have so very many generations been a 'fan' of the same films, television shows and the performers who appear in them. And that is so true. It is because of DVD's, Netflix, TV Land, Turner Classic Movies, etc., etc. that all the years are transcended ....it is amazing that the letters she gets span at least three genrations and sometimes even four! I asked her to hold up this photo because it is from the film "On The Town", and some young man had sent it to her so she could autograph it for him along with a couple of 3 X 5 cards..., which she did, of course. In another letter this man asked her to sign a 3 X 5 card and if possible, send a photograph as he and his wife (now that they are retired) were decorating the walls of their family room with as many favorite performers as they could reach who would send these pictures and cards to them...

Ruby came back to be with Betty again...and I caught this darling photograph of them together once again... Ruby is as cute as she can be...Just the most adorable little girl..She is really Maddie's doggie, but of course, she is 'the family dog'...As long as I'v known Betty she has always had dogs and cats....this last 10 years or so, after Louise died, (the last of the dogs for a while) she has not had any animals....but Maddie had been asking to have a dog for a long time, so, Ruby Parks is the newest member of the family... We finished up about 5:15pm and I thought this was a kind of wonderful view to part of the backyard including that wisteria plant over on the left....Dianne was telling a funny story as she packed stuff up to be put away till the next 'fan mail' time, having finished all the fan mail that had collected over these last months while Betty was doing a show. She just finished doing "My One And Only" here in L.A. for Reprise.... Behind Betty is the Breakfast Room and beyond that a lovely little greenhouse. Larry (Parks, that is...her late husband and my dear friend..) was a terrific gardener as is their son Garrett...so the greenhouse has all sorts of wonderful goodies in it which Betty can see every day as she has her breakfast...or whatever...

I was tired by that time, so I pulled myself together and went down the back steps where I had parked my car on the landing of the driveway intending to go on home...and Karen called to me asking if I was leaving....She was over by her little Office/House, which I had not seen cause it is a very new addition... As I hadn't been inside it before, I thought it would be fun to see her office...as I got closer, I took another photo of Karen and the darling little Ruby....In this picture below, Ruby didn't move, but Karen did! (lol) an unusual circumstance, for sure....

It's a great space and Karen has some privacy this way, and a room she can go into and close the door and do her work....something we all need, for sure, but not everyone gets...I'm happy for her that she has this space....I sat and talked with her for a while and then went on my way...It was a lovely afternoon for me...fun and of course the wonderful comraderie of old friends....

And to end this saga of the afternoon of fan mail, here's one more picture of that adorable huggable cutie pie dog, Ruby Parks....





More To Come....









40 Comments:
had this to say:

Oh, Ruby is the sweetest little dog I've ever seen!! She is JUST adorable, isn't she?!

And Betty Garrett is fabulous for taking the time to answer all that mail (as are her wonderful helpers!!!). Very organised!! You know I loved Betty in 'On The Town', now I am almost tempted to send in one of my stills for her to sign lol (yes, I have pics from On The Town - I love love love that film - AND Gene Kelly - sigh!!!!). The idea that people of all ages are rediscovering these films is so fantastic - they are going to live on for a very, very, very long time!

What great pictures! Thanks again for sharing and for a really delightful post!

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 4:08:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

what a nice post Naomi..
It's always so nice to see Betty, and even nicer for you to go help with the fan mail. Whenever I write to someone for an autograph I always send a SASE, I wouldn't expect someone to respond without it!
I love all the "green" outside of Betty's home! There can never be enough trees around as far as I'm concerned!
oh, and .. "da pooch knows a good lap when they see one!" hehe

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 7:04:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Sounds like a good way to spend a day. That is just the cutest darn dog. :)

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 8:09:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

That was great. She is still beautiful and an example of beauty at all ages. I loved getting a peek into the life of an actress I always admired also.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 8:27:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi you just have the coolest life! What a great day, and amazing friends you have! Thanks so much for sharing that - I enjoyed every detail. :)

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 9:06:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

what a fabulous time you must have helping her out. she is such a beautiful and gracious lady still. and i love ruby!

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 9:07:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for stopping by, I'm glad you enjoyed the vacation report.

Loved the fan mail report. That's so cool to see a star doing her own work. I always assumed that it was usually the assistant taking care of that or that it was just ignored.

And Ruby is very cute. My DH used to have a Bichon and would love to see those pictures.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 10:48:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

I LOVE "On the Town". The old movies are still the greatest. Its so neat to see pictures of Betty on your site. :)
Thanks for sharing.

Kendra

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 11:00:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Ruby looks so sweet! I never thought about how long a celebrity might receive fan mail. This is impressive and speaks well to the impact Betty has had on this world.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 11:48:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Ruby is really cute and can make my heart melt!

Betty is so fab to answer the mails by herself. I always admire people who take the time to please their fans.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 11:57:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Oh Naomi, that sounds like a wonderful afternoon. Reminds me of fun project or craft days. What a treat. And the dog is adorable.
~S

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 12:13:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Seems like you had a great time. Ruby is an adorable dog.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 12:30:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Ruby is adorable! Betty looks well. I can't believe she really answers all her fan mail - what a nice woman!

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 1:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Awwwwwww Ruby is so cute! I want an office like that to work in!!! How beautiful, and the walkway, and gardens!

Betty has a lovely home, and faithful friends. I am so impressed she answers her mail. That is simply awesome!

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 2:04:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I really enjoyed this post a lot, Naomi. And I feel beyond thrilled to have a personally written note that Betty sent me a couple months ago, as you know. I certainly do treasure it.
Ruby is TOO cute! What an adorable doggie! Duncan would love her....lol
Sounds like you had a great visit there and a great day.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 4:45:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Awwww... Ruby is a darling! And it does sound like you ladies had a GRAND afternoon of it! I would imagine that reading FAN MAIL is LOTS of fun! Boy, I sure used to write my share of it when I was a teenager! LOL! I always wondered if it actually GOT to the people! Occassionally I did get a response... a picture. But I always doubted it was "really" their autograph! I'm such a skeptic! Sweet post Naomi!

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 4:58:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Great pictures Naomi. Betty looks great and it's so nice that she responds to her fans!! Wonderful to get to see part of her home. Love Ruby. She is so cute!! Thanks for another great post!!

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 6:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

How wonderful that Betty takes such a personal interest in her fan mail. What a geniunely, kind lady she is. What a fun time you all had!
Ruby is spoiled, I am sure.
Ruby looks like she's about to fly away with her ears up and out like that!

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 8:59:00 PM PDT 

Blogger srp
had this to say:

Ruby is an adorable little girl. I bet my Max would love to meet her.

You know, I can't remember the last time I got an actual letter, written on stationary... everything now is e-mail, instant.... there is something to be said for a letter, hand written, that you can hold and treasure.

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 9:38:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Sounds like such a fun afternoon! It must be really interesting to read fan mail. My cousin used to do the fan mail for a couple of soap stars and I read some of it and it was quite interesting what people will say and ask...lol!

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 10:47:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, pass my love to Betty - she is a fine, kind lady!

And that Ruby, what a little angel :-)

Great post, my dear - as ever!

cq

Tuesday, October 3, 2006 at 10:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a nice post! I'm so impressed that Betty would make such an effort to answer fan mail. She obviously has an appreciation for her fans. What a wonderful lady. No wonder you two are friends!

Sounds like you had a wonderful day! Hope the rest of your week is great too! Here via Michele's.

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 6:21:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

You know, I think I would enjoy reading all that nice mail addressed to me. Betty is very deserving of a ton of fan mail!
And Ruby....she was precious.

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 6:45:00 AM PDT 

Blogger JR
had this to say:

Hi Naomi, this is off-topic but I just visited a blog run by a co-worker of mine. She's completely into her plants and animals. I thought you might enjoy checking out a fellow plant lover: http://www.myndfulmeanderings.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 6:52:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Darling Soul-Sister Naomi. I was absolutely forbidden to use my computer in the last two weeks but you can check and see that I didn't hesitate to sneak a peek here whenever possible. I just miss you too much to stay away!

I loved this post on Betty Garrett. She's still a stunner---and a great gal. No wonder she has so many devoted fans. I showed this post to Carole, my daughter-in-law. She mentioned that according to Goggle, Doris Hess, her HS classmate from MN had worked with Betty. Carole is not in touch with Doris so we can't check it but I still thought it was kind of intriguing.
I'm very tired but would love to write more. Maybe tomorrow.
loveloveandlove!!

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 1:17:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely day you all had, I recognise the gardens from the "drive by" that we did with you lol.
Ruby is such a cutie. I think it is great that Betty still gets so much fan mail and that you all make a day of it and help her out.

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 4:20:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a great way to spend some time with good friends :) And Ruby is just too cute!!

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 4:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

It must have been a very fun day for everyone. She's lucky to have friends like all of you to be helping her out.

Cheers to a new day!

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 4:42:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Great photos, and great story of what sounds like a truly fun day!

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 6:57:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

What a lovely post, Naomi! That is admirable! Betty Garrett is so sweet and nice for taking the time to answer all that mail’s fan!
I agree with Rain, Betty is still so beautiful and she is a nice example of beauty and great personality!
Really, sounds you all had a great day! What amazing friends you have, Naomi! Last but not least, Ruby looks so sweet! And I love all pictures, too!

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 7:15:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

One of my regular readers sent me over here to read you because she just discovered that I was involved in community theater too.
I am producing OUR TOWN right now, and just last night watched ON THE TOWN for the thirty-umpth time.

I shall return!

www.whidbeydreamer.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 4, 2006 at 11:18:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

What a fun day! I'm so glad you can go for small trips like that! It was great to get a peek into it. People everywhere living their lives is just amazing to me.

Thursday, October 5, 2006 at 6:26:00 AM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

I think it is wonderful that Betty gets so much fan post! I find it extremely nice of her to answer all that mail and it is extraordinary that she has wonderful friends who read the post to her. She must be very, very special... and Ruby is the cutest little thing!

Thursday, October 5, 2006 at 7:38:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

What fun!!! I could definitely see myself answering every single fan letter (if I had fans, of course). And little Ruby is absolutely adorable.

Thanks for another wonderful post!

Friday, October 6, 2006 at 4:31:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I was overjoyed to find your post on Betty answering her fan mail.
It was like visiting her at home. I've written 3 times this past year hoping to hear from her, but am uncertain if I have the correct address. Can you please tell me her address so I can be sure she will get my mail?
Lyn

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 12:29:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I was overjoyed to find your piece on how Betty answers her fan mail. I've written 3 letters this past year hoping to hear from her, but am uncertain if I have the correct address. Can you please tell me her address so I can be sure she will get my mail?
A Humble Fan. Lyn

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 12:37:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

CAN'T TELL YOU HOW HAPPY I WAS TO FIND YOUR POST ON BETTY'S FAN MAIL. I FEEL LIKE AN OLD FRIEND OF BOTH BETTY AND HER LARRY AND IT WAS LIKE VISITING HER AT HOME.
LYN

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 1:05:00 PM PST 

had this to say:

Lyn...If you come back...I would love to give you Betty's address but I don't want to leve it on my blog for all the world to see. I don't know how to contact you, so....here is my Email:

myrtillo1984 at yahoo dot com

Do write me and tell me a little more about yourself...And I will write you back.
And I'm glad you found this post, too!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 at 2:49:00 PM PST 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Naomi forgive my stupidity.
I posted a comment on the wrong listing. I wrote to you today but couldn't get your email address to work...it kept bouncing back. PLEASE LET ME HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN....LYN

Friday, November 17, 2006 at 9:02:00 AM PST 

had this to say:

Hi Lyn...

Don't know why it would bounce back but here it is once again...

MYRTILLO1984 at YAHOO dot COM

Hope this works..if not, why don't you leave me your email address in the same way I am doing...
BTW: I Left it on that other post as well...

Friday, November 17, 2006 at 9:07:00 AM PST 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.