Sunday, October 15, 2006
more close-ups

I have been playing with some of my pictures and getting in closer on many....and I'm hoping that blogger will co-operate and let me post some of these...Above is a close-up of one of the flowers from the Cardon...aka....George! The flowers this year wear so extrordinary....and I hope you can see how incredibly delicate looking they were, too!

This next picture is one I took of one of those fabulous little lizards that live in my garden here on the hill....I took this quite a few years ago with my regular analog camera.... Doesn't he look like he has some kind of secret...and he is really kind of happy about it...(lol)...Well, that's what it looks like to me...he truly looks like if he could speak he would to say to us...."I've got a secret, and I'm not going to tell you....ha ha!"

What I love about this next picture is that this little guy was kind of hidden under a plant...but, I was able to get such a good sharp picture of him anyway....that I could get in pretty close and not lose any detail and he is still in sharp focus and not soft....these dear little creatures fascinate me.... as you all have no doubt gathered by now...I think it is because they look so damn pre-historic, you know? Ancient as can be and they seem like they know things from a long long time ago....

And one more picture of the 'lizard' world. This one is a true close up of the back of one of these darling creatures...here you can see quite a lot of detail.... An amazing design on his body...particularly his back, of course...some people find them kind of icky, I guess, but I don't. They seem terribly vulnerable to me...there is something almost sad about them,though I am sure I am projecting that on them....they certainly have to be very very fast to avoid the many predators that are ready to pounce on them and make them into a nice little snack....dear me, that would be exhausting, wouldn't it? I think it is why I enjoy seeing them just sitting in the sun and doing that excersize thingy that they do...lifting themselves up and down....I call it excersize but it is probably something else, entirely....but at those times they seem relaxed and peaceful....

Here is a closer look at some flowers that came in an arrangement that I had at my birthday...this whole bowl of flowers was extrordinarily beautiful....this was just one little section of this work of art.... No one seemed to be able to tell me what that beautiful dark red/purple with-pale-cream-on-the-back flower was, even the man who made the arrangement! Whatever it is, it is fabulously gorgeous!

This next picture is a beautiful rose from a different flower arrangement that was sent to me by some dear friends who couldn't come celebrate my birthday with me, but sent this exquisite arrangement about a week later and it was all roses....stunning beautiful roses in yellows, creams, and this pale fabulous green....subtle and fantastic all at the same time... There is nothing like fresh flowers to brighten your day and make you feel loved and cared for....especially roses, don't you think?

This next breathtaking flower was also a birthday present from my darling dear old friend, Earl Holliman...It almost looked like a miniture orchid...I am not sure it was, but whatever it is, it is smaller than most orchids I have seen......aren't these colors utterly sublime?

And, I think you all will remember this little guy...some people thought he was a 'katy did' and others thought he was a grasshopper...Whatever he is, he is just adorable! I love that we can see the pattern on his body and those amazing amazing eyes...it is unreal, in a way and thrilling, too, to be able to see him so close-up in all his glory....

And here is another rather dramatic picture of this same dear little creature...if I had wanted to light him like this, I would have needed my neighbor who is a lighting wizard...But, I lucked out and got this natural look just going with available light....daylight with shadows....

And here below, is a rather dramatic picture, too. I have a lot of Agave's down below in my garden and sometimes they flower...and this flowering goes on for months and months....When they flower, it is very dramatic in and of itself....here is just a piece of the end of the flower as it looked with the city behind it.... And this next one...more of a close up of another Agave flower with the little flowers open and some waning, too...the houses behind it are really on the street below me, though it looks like they are 'right there', but they really aren't....


This photo above gives you a little bit of an idea of what the non-close-up of this agave flower looks like....here you can see the city is the backdrop for this flower and for so very many of the other plants down there too....

I have no idea why there is that huge gap up above between those pictures...but, seeing as how there is....I will post one more picture, and hope it will be closer.... (oy, blogger...!)

Remember the lizard that was under a plant? Well, these beautiful delicate little flowers are what grows on that plant....the variation of colors in these flowers is part and parcel of the way this plant does....Magnificent, isn't it?That's it for the moment....but there will be.....



More To Come.....












28 Comments:
had this to say:

I realize it's been told to you many times, but you sure know your camera's!
Always, always, always gorgeous photo's Naomi!

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 5:59:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Those flower pics are beautiful!
And I love the closeup of the lizard's back.
Just lovely.
God's creatures are absolutely amazing, aren't they?

Kendra

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 8:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Well... I THINK the deep purple and pink flower is a double peonie -- that's what it LOOKS like to me! And yes, it IS gorgeous - as are all your flowers! That first one IS soooo delicate -- and I love the fuzzies under the flower! That is really unusual!

I agree that the fascination with the little lizzards is because of their prehistoric look. I've always found them fascinating! Not enough to OWN one - but I don't think they should be kept contained anyway - and I think you have it MADE being able to watch them and enjoy them in their natural surroundings!

The little BUG is an AMAZING shot - I am totally WOWWED by it! How you captured those eyes just the way you did is just miraculous! I think he is definately a katydid (praying mantis) ... we get them around here a lot! And I know it used to be illegal to kill them becaus they were endangered -- I don't know if that's still true or not. (that was back when I was a child)

This was ANOTHER really fabulous post, Naomi! I loved it!

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 9:06:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love the little pink flowers with the bright red centers, and the red and white flower above. You have an eye for catching their beauty. :)
~S

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 11:40:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Fantastic photos! Love your lizard ones...we have plenty of those here in Florida and I've taught my cats when they sneak into our screened area to leave them alone! And they do!
Love your flower photos also, especially those magnificient roses.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 2:06:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

As usual, amazing photos. Only you could actually get in a lizzard's face, AND a "grasshopper's" face and come away with a photo!

Good job!

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 3:24:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

How true that fresh flowers make you feel special. I just love getting them....or even buying my own just because I want to feel special!
George...George is wonderful.
And the little lizard with a secret...love him.
All wonderful photos and I agree about the lizards captivating us by their prehistoric looks....I mean it really does help me understand what dinosaurs looked like.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 5:37:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Lots of ooooh and ahhhh from Floyd. I love the texture of lizard on wood...and the flowers! I laughed outloud when you said "I have no idea what that big space is!"

The whole show was a real pick me up! Do you think they'll ever come up with smell blogging?

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 6:35:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

these are really great photos--I love the orchids. here from Michele's

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 6:36:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

When I'm in L.A. next (not to worry, I WILL eventually get invited to a conference there...it's only a matter of time given how I've been going lately), I'm bringing my camera, and I'm hoping we can share some time shooting your garden.

You have a way of capturing the beauty around you in a way that is utterly mesmerizing. This'll sound incredibly selfish of me, but if I can learn even a bit at the feet of the master, I'd be forever in your debt.

And even if I don't, I still get to meet an amazing, kind person. Either way, it's goodness.

I hope you're doing well, Naomi. I've been so busy with work of late that I've completely stopped reading my friends' blogs. I'm barely keeping up with new entries to my own. Hopefully, I'll get back on an even keel soon. Regardless, I think of you all every day, and look forward to reading all I've missed.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 6:52:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Really cool pix! We don't have stuff like this in Toronto :)

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 7:08:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Wow, wonderful pictures Naomi!! I would love to hold one of those lizards. They are so cute and, as you said, pre-historic looking!!

The flowers are lovely. I love fresh flowers too!!

Your garden is amazing and George really has beautiful flowers!

That is a katydid for sure.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 7:25:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

i love lizards. Duck has a bearded dragon named luke. He is just awesome.
As always, George is one of my favorites, the beauty of his flowers amazes me, as im one of those people who dont see cactii much. Climate in Oregon is really conducive, ya know.
Anyways, im calling my mom to tell her to peek at your roses when she gets time. Although she is doing very well, she hasnt had time for blogging in a very long time.

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 11:18:00 PM PDT 

Blogger MaR
had this to say:

You have a talented eye to have just the right beautiful shot. Wonderful!!
I myself have trouble taking pics outdoors on a sunny day because I can't see a thing on my digital cam's little screen, lol!

Sunday, October 15, 2006 at 11:44:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Love all flower's pictures, Naomi!
I like so much lizard and that picture of lizard's back is great!
I am enchanted with your agave's flower! As you know, I have many agaves in my garden. It's an amazing plant, and it may take up to 10 years to bloom. My Agave attenuata take up 20 years to blooming! (http://leavesgrass.blogspot.com/2005/10/agave-attenuata-queen-of-my-garden.html)

Have a good week!

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 5:32:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Except for the lizard, everything is beautiful. I adore that white flower and that red one and gosh, what a beautiful sight to see.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 5:33:00 AM PDT 

Blogger dan
had this to say:

I too love the lizards. Especially since this far north I only ever get to see them in aquariums indoors.

In the yard? Priceless.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 8:00:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Great lizard shots Naomi..

They are cool little guys & girls aren't they...?

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 8:02:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

oh those are beautiful! I can't believe you got the katy did and it didn't fly away on you!

Is that smog or fog in the background of some of those pics?

Did you feel any of the quakes from Hawaii??? I thought about you when I saw on one of my patients TV's the news. I worked all weekend, so I'm just getting out visiting now!

Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 11:05:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Thanks for pointing out the link error in THIS STORY

It's corrected and the link is now working :)

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 11:06:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Lovely pictures of the flowers and others. Though I am actually a bit afraid of lizards especially the huge variety

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 11:36:00 AM PDT 

had this to say:

Love your lizards, honey... :-)

What beautiful pictures! There's no hiding your artistic talent - I wish I had an eye like yours...

cq

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 1:33:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, what incredibly lovely photos! Thanks for giving those of us in the chilly Midwest some nice, warm pictures!

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 2:09:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Those pictures are incredible!! The purple flower with the cream and the "mini orchid" are ones that I have never seen before! So pretty!

That grasshopper does have amazing eyes!

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 6:12:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

I never knew a cattus held such beauty until I began to visit your space on the web. Thanks again for sharing your garden the creatures within it.

Monday, October 16, 2006 at 7:35:00 PM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

Wonderful shots, Naomi. Love that red/purple and cream flower.

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 11:38:00 AM PDT 

Anonymous Anonymous
had this to say:

I love flowers to much. These are wonderful pictures, Naomi. The bugs are even cute, too.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 4:04:00 PM PDT 

had this to say:

Naomi, I think that the dark red with cream edges flower in your arrangement is a miniature carnation. The green rose is named "jade". All the photos are lovely!

Saturday, October 21, 2006 at 11:06:00 PM PDT 

Post a Comment

Back To the Main Page

Home | Newer›  ‹Older




view my profile
100 things about me

Name: OldOldLady Of The Hills
Location: Los Angeles, California



















Powered by: Blogger
design by: girliebits.